Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

I thought Charity shops didn't pay rates?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

It's a contentious issue and a 'grey' area: https://www.independent.ie/regionals/newrossstandard/news/removal-of-rate-relief-from-some-charity-shops-35468774.html

One thing this town doesn't need is any further closures.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

They don't but they have register as a charity with council. Unfortunately some charities dont register and then give out when the rates bill comes

Rates and online shopping have gutted small towns the length and breadth of the country. Not much can be done about online competition but rates are a tax on incentive - why would anyone open a bricks and mortar operation?

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Rates and online shopping have gutted small towns the length and breadth of the country. Not much can be done about online competition but rates are a tax on incentive - why would anyone open a bricks and mortar operation?

True, but I also blame the USC tax.

Before we all started paying that dratted tax, we had disposable income. USC killed that. I only venture into the shops nowadays to browse, or if I'm looking for a particular item - and I will compare/shop around.

Sadly, this lack of disposable income is killing our shops. The likes of Dealz and their ilk thrive in these conditions. I've lost count of the number of people who are crying out for Penneys, Iceland and other discount/cheap shops in Enniscorthy. It's what people want unfortunately, rather than high-end boutiques and charity shops filled with disposable out of date clothes from cheap chain stores.

I've pondered time and time again... What type of business would be successful in Enniscorthy? The pharmacies, hairdressers, chippers, and vape shops seem to be doing ok. But what are we looking for really? What do we want in Enniscorthy?

Wexford - a bigger town with a burgeoning population will always look more attractive to shoppers, more choices there, and a relatively short drive away.

Can the council do anything? Should they? Whats in it for them? More rates? They'll just jack up the rates for existing businesses and increase the LPT (again!) further obliterating disposable income. Many people working in the town are on shockingly low incomes too (even the ones working in the multinational on the outskirts).

It's all a circle of viciousness tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

BuboBubo wrote: »

Before we all started paying that dratted tax, we had disposable income. USC killed that. I only venture into the shops nowadays to browse, or if I'm looking for a particular item - and I will compare/shop around.

Sadly, this lack of disposable income is killing our shops. The likes of Dealz and their ilk thrive in these conditions. I've lost count of the number of people who are crying out for Penneys, Iceland and other discount/cheap shops in Enniscorthy. It's what people want unfortunately, rather than high-end boutiques and charity shops filled with disposable out of date clothes from cheap chain stores.

I've pondered time and time again... What type of business would be successful in Enniscorthy? The pharmacies, hairdressers, chippers, and vape shops seem to be doing ok. But what are we looking for really? What do we want in Enniscorthy?

Wexford - a bigger town with a burgeoning population will always look more attractive to shoppers, more choices there, and a relatively short drive away.

Can the council do anything? Should they? Whats in it for them? More rates? They'll just jack up the rates for existing businesses and increase the LPT (again!) further obliterating disposable income. Many people working in the town are on shockingly low incomes too (even the ones working in the multinational on the outskirts).

Penny's or the like have nowhere to go. Those that do want to come aren't allowed to build.

Lidl were refused planning a few years ago and have another application in a thousand sqm2 smaller than their original plan.

kneemos wrote: »
    Penny's or the like have nowhere to go. Those that do want to come aren't allowed to build.

Lidl were refused planning a few years ago and have another application in a thousand sqm2 smaller than their original plan.

Didn't know lidl had re-applied. Haven't been in Enniscorthy for a month or so though. I noticed the bungalow beside Mace was demolished, they must be expanding too? Wonder if the owners were the objectors to the lidl expansion?

Pity really, Enniscorthy is Co.Wexfords second largest town by population, progress should be embraced. Wexford doesn't seem to have as many objectors. The by-pass might have a very negative effect too. :(

I will be in Enniscorthy on Sunday, I'll surely get all the gossip then.

Didn't know lidl had re-applied. Haven't been in Enniscorthy for a month or so though. I noticed the bungalow beside Mace was demolished, they must be expanding too? Wonder if the owners were the objectors to the lidl expansion?

Pity really, Enniscorthy is Co.Wexfords second largest town by population, progress should be embraced. Wexford doesn't seem to have as many objectors. The by-pass might have a very negative effect too. :(

Traders object on the grounds that out of town developments detract from the town centre. You could hit Lidl with a stone from the town centre.

I wonder do An Bord Pleanala look at at map,take out a slide rule,and summarily decide yep that's too far. Without any knowledge of local circumstances?
    Given the history of refusal of planning permission I can't see any large store wasting money on planning and design.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,094 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

The multi national? Clear Stream? I thought most of the jobs there are low skilled and do not require any third level qualifications to apply? For low skilled work it is quite well paid.

The problem in Enniscorthy is there is an extremely high level of unemployment. That's why people aren't spending money in town, they haven't got much as the dole doesn't leave you much spare at the end of the week.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    The multi national? Clear Stream? I thought most of the jobs there are low skilled and do not require any third level qualifications to apply? For low skilled work it is quite well paid.

I thought BARD was a multinational? Perhaps I'm being a tad unfair comparing their pay grades to companies in Waterford City where I work myself. I was under the impression they paid only the minimum wage (from friends who worked there in the past), but please correct me if I'm wrong as I don't know anyone working there presently.

Low skilled - fair point, but shift work deserves a decent premium.

• Advertisement

I thought BARD was a multinational? Perhaps I'm being a tad unfair comparing their pay grades to companies in Waterford City where I work myself. I was under the impression they paid only the minimum wage (from friends who worked there in the past), but please correct me if I'm wrong as I don't know anyone working there presently.

Low skilled - fair point, but shift work deserves a decent premium.

Bard bought Clear Stream a few years ago, I just couldn't think of their name this morning.

I know a few working in it and they get a decent wage for what they do, but then again the building is picking up and you've labours getting €16-€17 net per hour.

If Bard left Enniscorthy where would all the employees go? There is no other industries here to offer them jobs.

And on the unemployment thing, there are 10-12 lads that we're in my year in secondary school who have never worked a day in there lives. They never wanted to and never will work. Unfortunately there's to many like this in every town though.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ninja 12

. I noticed the bungalow beside Mace was demolished, they must be expanding too?

The Maxol garage /Mace has undergone an expansion .

There's a new deli counter which is open and an Abrakebabra ( and sitting area ) which looks like it'll be open in the next few days / week .

474909.jpg

Picture taken this morning :)

ninja 12 wrote: »
    The Maxol garage /Mace has undergone an expansion .

There's a new deli counter which is open and an Abrakebabra ( and sitting area ) which looks like it'll be open in the next few days / week .

474909.jpg

Picture taken this morning :)

Looks good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Abra always had lovely cheese and taco fries. Must make a trip to see if they are still up to scratch.

Went to see The 4 of Us in the Presentation Centre last night - it's a great venue....

Petite%2BCherie.jpg

At last a new shop on Rafter Street that's not a pharmacy!

Opening soon "Petite Cherie" - a children's clothing shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭paulaa

I was reared in that bungalow and the garage beside it. It now belongs to Maxol and they did not object to Lidl expanding. They are two completely different businesses. Maxol/Mace is a convenience shop not a supermarket.
    I'm delighted to see it doing so well .

paulaa wrote: »
    I was reared in that bungalow and the garage beside it. It now belongs to Maxol and they did not object to Lidl expanding. They are two completely different businesses. Maxol/Mace is a convenience shop not a supermarket.
    I'm delighted to see it doing so well .

Design and location was apparently it's failure.

https://www.shelflife.ie/an-bord-pleanala-upholds-rgdata-objection-for-new-lidl-enniscorthy/

Thanks for that. I wonder did they consider the number of jobs an expansion may have created. imo the shop is far enough back from the road not to make any appreciable difference to the street scene.

paulaa wrote: »
    Thanks for that. I wonder did they consider the number of jobs an expansion may have created. imo the shop is far enough back from the road not to make any appreciable difference to the street scene.

One objection was that it would take trade from the town centre.
    I don't know many who do their grocery shopping in boutiques, charity shops and chippers.

• Advertisement

One objection was that it would take trade from the town centre.
    I don't know many who do their grocery shopping in boutiques, charity shops and chippers.

Don't forget chippers and hairdressers/barbers.

Don't forget chippers and hairdressers/barbers.

And the pharmacies ;)

Yet again the St.Patrick's parade was a damp squib and from my viewing point was surely one of the poorest in a long time. Amongst the 'floats' in the parade were two vans from Carpet Gallery (no decoration of any sort), 3/4 classic cars, the usual Humvee, 4 motorbikes, St.Patrick on a motorbike in a trailer hauled by a modern car with a tricolour straddling the bonnet, a power washing truck...

As usual, there were quite a lot of feral youths running riot with shaving foam and doubtless, there will be further nonsense once darkness falls. I also noted a lot of bins around the town almost overflowing at 11am - long before the parade.

I ask again as I've asked many times before, why isn't the parade held perhaps every third year and something worthwhile done? Of course given that the wasters in Wexford Co.Council are the driving force behind the parade I don't hold out much hope.

Kehoes%2Bon%2Bthe%2BHill%2BSt.Patrick%2527s%2BDay%2B2017.jpg

Just took a wander down the town and noticed this sign on the old Kehoe's pub on Castle Hill - opening soon - or is it somebody's idea of a Paddy's Day joke?

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭trigger26

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Kehoes%2Bon%2Bthe%2BHill%2BSt.Patrick%2527s%2BDay%2B2017.jpg

Just took a wander down the town and noticed this sign on the old Kehoe's pub on Castle Hill - opening soon - or is it somebody's idea of a Paddy's Day joke?

On your nightly gurier patrol and what shop will close next route!
    give em a chance, they could have a new sign on the way

Is the auto factors across from the Cathedral closed down?

Is the auto factors across from the Cathedral closed down?

That's gone since August/September last year I think.

It seems that Lidl's planning application has passed.

https://dms.wexfordcoco.ie/index.php#

Application no :20181329

54385189_10219196006439475_3713483777012400128_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_ht=scontent-frx5-1.xx&oh=8a304848e29414e09dd2f98a498dffd3&oe=5D19D006

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Take it the car wasn't registered in his name.

Advertisement