Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

More negativity I'm afraid. Since the launch of the Enniscorthy Tourism website I have contacted the proprietors three times about the error riddled content. No reply to my emails and no corrections. Somebody has recently updated the reference to the Castle here: http://enniscorthytourism.com/categories/castles-and-houses-in-wexford-44.html but failed to update the information here: http://enniscorthytourism.com/categories/history-of-enniscorthy-6.html

Numerous shops http://enniscorthytourism.com/categories/shopping_in_wexford-36.html have relocated since the website went live - I pointed this out in the previous emails - others are spelt incorrectly etc.etc. I know it's just me nit picking again but it's just typical of the sloppy way a lot of things are done in Enniscorthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

More negativity I'm afraid. Since the launch of the Enniscorthy Tourism website I have contacted the proprietors three times about the error riddled content. No reply to my emails and no corrections. Somebody has recently updated the reference to the Castle here: http://enniscorthytourism.com/categories/castles-and-houses-in-wexford-44.html but failed to update the information here: http://enniscorthytourism.com/categories/history-of-enniscorthy-6.html

Numerous shops http://enniscorthytourism.com/categories/shopping_in_wexford-36.html have relocated since the website went live - I pointed this out in the previous emails - others are spelt incorrectly etc.etc. I know it's just me nit picking again but it's just typical of the sloppy way a lot of things are done in Enniscorthy.

When it comes to IT anything government related is a shambles. Was booking my driving test and the form asked me for a zip code. That's a general thing more so than something specific to Enniscorthy

Suprise, surprise I heard back from Enniscorthy Tourism today and have been invited to attend their next meeting in July - now that's putting it up to me! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Suprise, surprise I heard back from Enniscorthy Tourism today and have been invited to attend their next meeting in July - now that's putting it up to me!

You'll probably be given the keys to the website... but I doubt that would be a bad thing... nothing worse than websites that aren't accuratley maintained on a regular basis... a pet peeve of mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Suprise, surprise I heard back from Enniscorthy Tourism today and have been invited to attend their next meeting in July - now that's putting it up to me! :D

Tell 'em something needs to be done about boy racers on the prom,apart from crazy driving they leave the place like a tip every night-a welcome sight for visitors to the town who want to take a morning stroll by the river or people staying in The Riverside hotel.
    Anyway have fun at the meeting and bring a list;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Willam Barker

JD you are so right, we need to set the highest standards for oursleves, not 'ah sure its not that bad' feck that, look at towns like Westport and thats the level we should be aiming for, plus can't beleive Rafter St is going to open to traffic!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

can't beleive Rafter St is going to open to traffic!!
    Opening Rafter Street to traffic doesn't make sense? Didn't the Council spent thousands making it a pedestrial street?

I did wonder why they installed Pedestrian crossing lights at the junction with the Market Square.

RKQ wrote: »
    Opening Rafter Street to traffic doesn't make sense? Didn't the Council spent thousands making it a pedestrial street?

I did wonder why they installed Pedestrian crossing lights at the junction with the Market Square.

Not to mention this set of lights halfway down Rafter Street.

Rafter%2BStreet%2B006.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Elmidena

They spent an awful lot of money to make it nicer for the cars to drive on =s

But I did wonder at the arrows facing down Court St outside McCauleys yesterday, thinking "Isn't it a one way system now anyway?"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

Is the traffic going the opposite what than what it used to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Bearhunter

You're effing kidding me - a pedestrian zone with a pedestrian crossing? Beautiful...

Here's hoping the only traffic allowed on Rafter Street is council vehicles for upkeep and maintanence and possibly delivery vehicles for the shops on the street with strictly limited access times.
    Allowing full access to traffic would be a disaster.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Elmidena

TheChevron wrote: »
    Is the traffic going the opposite what than what it used to?
    Must be, round about where that silver car is in the pic there's arrows facing down towards the courthouse. There's no point driving on that road as nowhere to park, can't access old dunnes carpark from it and will just destroy all their lovely refurbishment....I for one prefer the new look, has a certain charm about it (not a fan of Slaney Street changes though)

Though maybe it's bicycle friendly? I don't see why it'd need a crossing though, and it's not like there's many cyclists in the town anyway :confused:

Sunshine! wrote: »
    Must be, round about where that silver car is in the pic there's arrows facing down towards the courthouse. There's no point driving on that road as nowhere to park, can't access old dunnes carpark from it and will just destroy all their lovely refurbishment....I for one prefer the new look, has a certain charm about it (not a fan of Slaney Street changes though)

Though maybe it's bicycle friendly? I don't see why it'd need a crossing though, and it's not like there's many cyclists in the town anyway :confused:

eetc%20061.jpg

/\:pac: Nice one JD.

Has anyone heard anymore on the rumours that TK MAXX are taking up residence in the old Dunnes site?

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Buck

Hi guys.
    I'm heading down for the Strawberry Half Marathon on Sunday and am looking for the best place to park. A car park is being set up in a field beside the river but with all the rain forecast I'm afraid of getting bogged down and stuck.
    Has anyone got a recommendation?
    Thanks in advance.

Buck wrote: »
    Hi guys.
    I'm heading down for the Strawberry Half Marathon on Sunday and am looking for the best place to park. A car park is being set up in a field beside the river but with all the rain forecast I'm afraid of getting bogged down and stuck.
    Has anyone got a recommendation?
    Thanks in advance.

If you get down nice and early you should get parking down at the Riverside hotel or along the promenade-it's free parking on Sundays.There is also parking at the 1798 Centre which overlooks the promenade and hotel so it's handy to stroll down to the start point and there'll be less congestion with traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Buck

zerks wrote: »
    If you get down nice and early you should get parking down at the Riverside hotel or along the promenade-it's free parking on Sundays.There is also parking at the 1798 Centre which overlooks the promenade and hotel so it's handy to stroll down to the start point and there'll be less congestion with traffic.

Thanks Zerks, however the race website states that there will be no parking in the vicinity of the hotel. I'll try to get down early enough to see anyway.

Buck wrote: »
    Thanks Zerks, however the race website states that there will be no parking in the vicinity of the hotel. I'll try to get down early enough to see anyway.

Try the 1798 centre then,as I said it's literally a couple of minutes stroll from it down to the hotel.The hotel is overlooked by it,here's a map to give you an idea.

http://www.1798centre.ie/links.htm

Saw an article on BBC NI News where a semi derelict street which was an eyesore was reinvigorated by simply using printed vinyl to give the impression that the shops were open.The effect was excellent.
    It might be an idea for empty buildings around the town to be done this way.

http://www.citydressing.co.uk/content/view/59/21/

• Advertisement

Interesting idea zerks. I'm in a rare positive mood today and couldn't help but notice that a lot pf premises in town are currently enjoying a face lift including The Bailey, the Chinese restaurant on the Market Square, the clothes shop next to Murt Walsh's on Castle Street and others. On a negative note three business premises within a hundred yards of where I live have had windows smashed in the last fortnight - Wickham's Butchers, Murt Walsh's and a solicitors on Church Street. Funny how history repeats itself. :rolleyes:

Interesting idea zerks. I'm in a rare positive mood today and couldn't help but notice that a lot pf premises in town are currently enjoying a face lift including The Bailey, the Chinese restaurant on the Market Square, the clothes shop next to Murt Walsh's on Castle Street and others. On a negative note three business premises within a hundred yards of where I live have had windows smashed in the last fortnight - Wickham's Butchers, Murt Walsh's and a solicitors on Church Street. Funny how history repeats itself. :rolleyes:

Slaney Place is being painted aswell with Holohans to the bottom of Slaney Street being done.The town will look well for the Strawberry Fest.
    Was talking to Mark in Wickhams and he said it(broken windows) used to happen about 3 times a year anyway before so it's not a new phenomenon.Just the perils of being located in the town centre.

The town is looking much improved in recent weeks and the recently repainted Reids Off Licence on Main Street looks a treat. That said, the Council continue to fail the town abysmally - if a few quid had been kept back from the extravagance in Rafter Street and Slaney Street a huge difference could have been made to the general appearance of the town. I took a quick run around my favourite spots today and nothing had changed at any of them since I posted about them on my blog in March 2009.

1) The children's playgrounds near the Riverside Park Hotel.
    2) The seating along the Promenade.
    3) The 'award winning' viewing point on the Mill Park Road
    4) The seat right outside the Council offices in the Market Square!

ENNISCORTHY%2BJUNE%2B2011%2B003.JPG

The table and seats at the Millpark Road Viewing Point today - what possible excuse can there be for this? It was in exactly the same state more than two years ago! How much could it possibly cost to fix?

http://countywexford.blogspot.com/2011/06/tidy-towns-judging-time-draws-near.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Wallop 64

Hate to be a flag hag but I went by the castle today and not only was the tricolour flying in the rain which is a no no but one of it's ropes had come undone so it just flopped around like a wet rag.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭David900

The town is looking much improved in recent weeks and the recently repainted Reids Off Licence on Main Street looks a treat. That said, the Council continue to fail the town abysmally - if a few quid had been kept back from the extravagance in Rafter Street and Slaney Street a huge difference could have been made to the general appearance of the town. I took a quick run around my favourite spots today and nothing had changed at any of them since I posted about them on my blog in March 2009.

1) The children's playgrounds near the Riverside Park Hotel.
    2) The seating along the Promenade.
    3) The 'award winning' viewing point on the Mill Park Road
    4) The seat right outside the Council offices in the Market Square!

ENNISCORTHY%2BJUNE%2B2011%2B003.JPG

The table and seats at the Millpark Road Viewing Point today - what possible excuse can there be for this? It was in exactly the same state more than two years ago! How much could it possibly cost to fix?

http://countywexford.blogspot.com/2011/06/tidy-towns-judging-time-draws-near.html

You were down there today why didn't you bring some sand paper and some paint? :D

In all seriousness though you're probably doing more damage than good to the town by posting all this negative stuff on here. It doesn't make the town very attractive by highlighting every negative things about it.
    If you really want to make a difference actually get out and start doing some work. Look at any of the towns that consistently do well in Tidy Towns, they get a helping hand from the council but most of the work is put in by the residents to sow flower beds, paint benches and clean up. If the council aren't giving you a helping hand then go and do it yourself, make people involved and they will get involved with enough pressure, instead of sitting at your computer uploading pictures of spray paint etc.

David900 wrote: »
    You were down there today why didn't you bring some sand paper and some paint? :D

In all seriousness though you're probably doing more damage than good to the town by posting all this negative stuff on here. It doesn't make the town very attractive by highlighting every negative things about it.
    If you really want to make a difference actually get out and start doing some work. Look at any of the towns that consistently do well in Tidy Towns, they get a helping hand from the council but most of the work is put in by the residents to sow flower beds, paint benches and clean up. If the council aren't giving you a helping hand then go and do it yourself, make people involved and they will get involved with enough pressure, instead of sitting at your computer uploading pictures of spray paint etc.

You may have a valid point but I've done my share of voluntary work and I'm not inclined to do the council's job for them. They extort heavy rates from the businesses in the town and then squander the money. When I started blogging about the state of the place it was to try and embarrass the council into action but apparently that doesn't work. Perhaps I should just ignore everything and sail along with the mass of the town's population who are oblivious or simply don't care? Incidentally, I think the council would take a dim view of a private citizen painting/renovating their property - and would there be any point as they wouldn't maintain it even if one did restore say the seat in front of their offices? No, my contribution is going to remain limited to the keyboard and I have recently spent quite a long time preparing 90+ pages of corrections for the Enniscorthy Tourism website http://www.enniscorthytourism.com/ for their July meeting. I'll try and restrain myself from posting about the town again until after that meeting. :D

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

JD. Keep up the good work

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭anamaria

Wallop 64 wrote: »
    Hate to be a flag hag but I went by the castle today and not only was the tricolour flying in the rain which is a no no but one of it's ropes had come undone so it just flopped around like a wet rag.

Care to show me, in the official guidelines, where it says the tricolour cannot be flown in the rain?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Wallop 64

My point was that a wet flag dangling from a single strand is no way to display our national emblem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭blindsider

Wallop - that's not what you said. You said that flying the flag in the rain is a no-no.

it isn't - you were wrong. But we're all wrong sometimes - and we won't hate you for it. :)

Advertisement