Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Bit of a knock for the dog track,and dog racing in general.

https://wexfordtoday.com/2019/07/05/enniscorthy-greyhound-track-loses-major-sponsor/

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Regards to the bridge,has anyone taken a close look at the bars holding up the light fittings on it lately?
    They are rusted away and in parts held up with a wing and a prayer. Hammerite can't have been that expensive over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Is the bypass set to open soon folks?

I heard an official date of 18th (politicians & photos) but someone mentioned to me that it was set to open to traffic this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭blindsider

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭blindsider

IT now confirms 18th!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭peadar76

Re the bridge - contractor insurances, Psdp, pscs, site set up, likely inserting ties to tie wall back to main structure, conservation implications, working over water , etc etc etc. 75k sounds a bit on the high side but could easily cost 40 to 50k. It is more than just a job for a stone mason. It's not just a stone wall, it is a bridge parapet, and there's a big difference. With the way construction costs have gone in this country, particularly with relation to H&S , i wouldn't be overly shocked by 75k

peadar76 wrote: »
    Re the bridge - contractor insurances, Psdp, pscs, site set up, likely inserting ties to tie wall back to main structure, conservation implications, working over water , etc etc etc. 75k sounds a bit on the high side but could easily cost 40 to 50k. It is more than just a job for a stone mason. It's not just a stone wall, it is a bridge parapet, and there's a big difference. With the way construction costs have gone in this country, particularly with relation to H&S , i wouldn't be overly shocked by 75k

A Nissan Micra hit it,not a tank. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,066 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Ford focus I believe..

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭peadar76

haha, yeah I take your point. I don't know the extent of the damage myself, however if the parapet has cracked, well then structural integrity of the connection between the parapet and the deck could be compromised.

peadar76 wrote: »
    haha, yeah I take your point. I don't know the extent of the damage myself, however if the parapet has cracked, well then structural integrity of the connection between the parapet and the deck could be compromised.

I was talking to some of the lads who examined it, there's a car shaped bulge in the wall where it was hit. No major structural damage.
    It's funny,any other country and the damage would have been fixed long ago but of course not here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I was talking to some of the lads who examined it, there's a car shaped bulge in the wall where it was hit. No major structural damage.
    It's funny,any other country and the damage would have been fixed long ago but of course not here.

There is a twenty five foot odd crack visible from the river side.

Presumably FBD or someone is coughing up for the damage. Hence the price and the delay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Maybe in any 2nd/3rd world country. Having lived in Germany, USA and the UK before, I don't think we are by any means unique.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭davef1000

davef1000 wrote: »
    Stop spoofing. Cantona's Collars has thrown an eye over the site and knows for a FACT that it'll take no more than half an hour and some bostik to fix it.

You forgot duct tape and a ratchet strap to pull it back into place. Maybe a bit of expanding foam.
    Remember.."Try your best,foam the rest".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Can you be specific about the countries you mention?

Can you be specific about the countries you mention?

Literally in the post above yours I posted a link to where a massive sinkhole was repaired within days.
    My problem is that there's zero urgency to fix the damage to the bridge,"ah sure stick a bit of fencing beside it,be grand". Maybe they'll wait until bits start falling into the river before doing anything.
    It's just typical of the attitude towards so much in the town,sure if even basic repairs to roads are carried out using the back of a shovel,how can we expect a job like fixing the damage to the bridge that's a main thoroughfare to be done promptly.

No, he cannot.

I'm sure a guitarist knows a lot about construction. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Mr Gumby

Might it be that in a few days the volume of traffic crossing the bridge will greatly decrease, making it much easier to gain access to the damage without major traffic disruption. ?? :)

• Advertisement

Mr Gumby wrote: »
    Might it be that in a few days the volume of traffic crossing the bridge will greatly decrease, making it much easier to gain access to the damage without major traffic disruption. ?? :)

Hopefully that's the plan. Regards the bypass, I'm looking forward to being able to drive through the town and it not taking half an hour due to tailbacks from traffic just passing through.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,066 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Mr Gumby wrote: »

Sounds sensible to me.

Can't help but chuckle at the irony... someone who has posted next to nothing constructive on this thread, shows up to bash people on their views about the bridge repair :D

Ha, good man... I never actual mentioned who the poster was, but there you go :p

I’m sure an old curmudgeon who spends his days giving out about the world going to hell in a handbasket knows plenty, too.

Maybe a couple of decades working on major construction projects gives me the right to have an opinion on the topic.;)

I mean who else could you have been smugly talking about?

I don't live in Enniscorthy anymore. I look at this thread to see what's going on and what people are saying about the place, and it's full of gripes, hurlers on the ditch and virtually nothing positive. It gets quite wearisome after a while so I decided to comment. There you go now, my reasons for offering virtually nothing CONSTRUCTIVE. Nobody else does either. Bualadh bos for all the backseat civil engineers!

I find that an odd thing to say... I'll demonstrate by way of example -

Duffry Goat has been posting a serious amount of positive stuff lately, yet you didn't have a single contribution to any of that news :confused:

Any significant news of positive things happening in the town usually finds it's way onto this thread.

The thread is titled 'Enniscorthy" and people like Cantona's Collars post plenty of opinions on what's going on in the town, without being condescending to other posters. Surely if you disagree with an opinion, you have the intelligence levels to state a counter argument... or maybe not?

• Advertisement

Advertisement