Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

jpb1974 wrote: »
    Can't help but chuckle at the irony... someone who has posted next to nothing constructive on this thread, shows up to bash people on their views about the bridge repair :D

I wouldn't mind but it started over the length of time it's taking to fix it and the cost. But I suppose in a town that has spent the bones of €2 million on refurbishment TWICE of a building that we still haven't been told what it's to be used for shows that maybe €75 grand isn't a lot.

davef1000 wrote: »
    Like I said, old curmudgeon!

If there's something positive in the town,I'll comment on it. Unfortunately there isn't a whole lot.
    So you can take the personal digs with you and unfollow the thread if it's not cheerful enough for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

davef1000 wrote: »
    Like I said, old curmudgeon!

I'm all for differences of opinion and sensible debate, but this is just ignorant and not adding any value to the thread.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Mod Note.

I'm after reading the last page of comments folks and less of the digs and personal cuts Please.

Be civil to each other or be gone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

I hear there is a new Enniscorthy Heritage Trail, Does anyone know what is included ?

• Advertisement

McLoughlin wrote: »
    I hear there is a new Enniscorthy Heritage Trail, Does anyone know what is included ?

Didn't hear about that, hopefully it's more than just The Atheneum, Castle and Vinegar hill. Scratch the surface and there's a wealth of hidden history around the place.

Didn't hear about that, hopefully it's more than just The Atheneum, Castle and Vinegar hill. Scratch the surface and there's a wealth of hidden history around the place.

I know I was at a Tourism meeting thing in Riverside awhile back and god felt like the tourism providers around Wexford were stuck in the Bord Failte 1980s days.

Looking like there is something eventually being done with the site for the filling station just between the graveyard and Donohoes garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Looking like there is something eventually being done with the site for the filling station just between the graveyard and Donohoes garage.

Be surprised if it will open as a petrol station with the new bypass opening soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Someone complained on the grounds of traffic hold-ups.
    Must have reapplied. Won't be as busy in future presumably.

In ten or fifteen years how many petrol stations will be needed with folk turning to electric.
    It's a business model I wouldn't be spending a fortune setting up.

• Advertisement

I'd say the (usually very busy) Applegreen in Ferns is going to see a serious decline in business when the bypass opens later this week, Camolin service stations too.

I'd say the (usually very busy) Applegreen in Ferns is going to see a serious decline in business when the bypass opens later this week, Camolin service stations too.

Agree with that but your going to have business given out blaming the bypass for lose of business especially in Enniscorthy Town when the bypass probably hasn't anything to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Marhay70

McLoughlin wrote: »
    Agree with that but your going to have business given out blaming the bypass for lose of business especially in Enniscorthy Town when the bypass probably hasn't anything to do with it.

I'd imagine anybody passing through Enniscorthy at the moment is doing just that, very few people will stop off because there is no obvious parking.
    I reckon if anything, the bypass will be good for business in the town, look at Gorey, place was never as busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Marhay70 wrote: »
    I'd imagine anybody passing through Enniscorthy at the moment is doing just that, very few people will stop off because there is no obvious parking.
    I reckon if anything, the bypass will be good for business in the town, look at Gorey, place was never as busy.

Gorey has attractions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭blindsider

Presumably the housing market will see some sort of lift in Enniscorthy now - by Dublin standards, it will be reasonable to commute from Enniscorthy to Sth Dublin. Prices seem relatively low in Enniscorthy - €200K will get you a lot of house compared to 30 mins up the road.

Gorey is 12 yrs further down this road (excuse the pun!) and seems to have benefited.

More people living in Enniscorthy would presumably mean a greater demand for...everything really....and hopefully it would be good for the town - let's face it Enniscorthy really needs a bit of a lift

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Marhay70

kneemos wrote: »
    Gorey has attractions.

Yes and the bypass is one of them. Gone are the days of sitting sweltering for 30 mins just trying to access the town, choking in fumes as you walked up Main St.
    The town has a pleasant ambience to it now, people are happy to walk the streets, buses can actually get to the stop on time, just a nice place to do business.

I'd imagine Ronan Furlong's service station, the bus stop shop and Burger Mac will feel the pinch in town. Those would be the 3 places where passing traffic would likely stop.

One of the major complaints from people is simply getting through the town in a vehicle. Hopefully the bypass means that the traffic moving via the N11 will mostly use the new bypass and the jams that plague the town from transient traffic just moving through will be gone.

The thoughts of having to drive into town between 8-9am send shivers down my spine, I for one can't wait for it to open.

A large new housing development has started stretching from behind Centra on the Milehouse road to just above the Still.
    Up to 600 units are planned for there and more across the road at the Centra roundabout.

• Advertisement

Could be all about the urban sprawl now... not a hope of any significant or sustainable new employment about the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

blindsider wrote: »
    Presumably the housing market will see some sort of lift in Enniscorthy now - by Dublin standards, it will be reasonable to commute from Enniscorthy to Sth Dublin. Prices seem relatively low in Enniscorthy - €200K will get you a lot of house compared to 30 mins up the road.

Gorey is 12 yrs further down this road (excuse the pun!) and seems to have benefited.

More people living in Enniscorthy would presumably mean a greater demand for...everything really....and hopefully it would be good for the town - let's face it Enniscorthy really needs a bit of a lift

Enniscorthy, Wexford and the environment need more jobs locally not more people driving 70 miles on the N11 twice a day

The 'ol government can't see the wood for the trees sometimes... banging on about taxation off fossil fuels to reduce carbon emissions, yet have largely fostered the all roads lead to Dublin approach to employment. Taxation seems to be the cure for everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

kneemos wrote: »
    Gorey has attractions.

Its biggest being that the main street no longer resembles a car park.

Could be all about the urban sprawl now... not a hope of any significant or sustainable new employment about the place.

"One hour from Dublin".

It'll be like a lot of commuter towns,whole estates emptying at 5.30 am and nobody back until 7.30 pm. Feck all community spirit as nobody sees each other from one end of the week to the next.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

They guy who has the garage in Shingan is opening up in Bkackstoops also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

"One hour from Dublin".

It'll be like a lot of commuter towns,whole estates emptying at 5.30 am and nobody back until 7.30 pm. Feck all community spirit as nobody sees each other from one end of the week to the next.

Did town to Dublin for 6 years, every day on a bus, horrible. feel for anyone stuck doing it. Town needs jobs, like you say, not zombie commuters.

Did town to Dublin for 6 years, every day on a bus, horrible. feel for anyone stuck doing it. Town needs jobs, like you say, not zombie commuters.

I've avoided offers of work up that way. More money alright but zero quality of life. I did all that commuting lark for long enough. Working local now and wouldn't go back to that slog.

I've avoided offers of work up that way. More money alright but zero quality of life. I did all that commuting lark for long enough. Working local now and wouldn't go back to that slog.

• Advertisement

Commuted myself for years too... a horrible, horrible life to be living.

Advertisement