Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭blindsider

Enniscorthy, Wexford and the environment need more jobs locally not more people driving 70 miles on the N11 twice a day

Absolutely! Couldn't agree more!

It's just unfortunate that the IDA etc are still selling Dublin (almost exclusively) as a destination for Inward Investment. As soon as the balance swings away from Dublin for a while, we will see progress in places like Enniscorthy....don't hold your breath though...the 2003 effort at de-centralisation was woeful!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Who’s the dude arrested today by CAB for intimidation? Maybe not to name him but is he well known?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

vicwatson wrote: »
    Who’s the dude arrested today by CAB for intimidation? Maybe not to name him but is he well known?

Raid a few weeks ago -

https://www.rte.ie/news/crime/2019/0627/1057778-cab-arrest-wexford/

Probably same bloke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Marhay70

jpb1974 wrote: »

The implication is that it is a member of a downtrodden minority who is involved.
    Absolutely scurrilous talk denegrating the salt of the earth. Gardaí should be ashamed.

Marhay70 wrote: »
    The implication is that it is a member of a downtrodden minority who is involved.
    Absolutely scurrilous talk denegrating the salt of the earth. Gardaí should be ashamed.

You've lost me here... are you implying that the authorities haven't done their due diligence and just went up and raided someone for reasons other than suspected criminal activity?

BTW. I'm neither agreeing nor disagreeing with you, just trying to understand your post a bit better.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

You've lost me here... are you implying that the authorities haven't done their due diligence and just went up and raided someone for reasons other than suspected criminal activity?

BTW. I'm neither agreeing nor disagreeing with you, just trying to understand your post a bit better.

Thanks

I think sarcasm gets lost in a post. :)

Sure isn't it their culture to amass all those belongings and money with no way to show how they paid for any of it and then pull up outside the dole office in a brand new jeep or van. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,066 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Thanks

Woosh...

I think one can be forgiven for walking the tight rope as it's often hard to interpret posts/reactions around here...

Mention a Romanian and you're a racist...
    Mention a traveller and its a free for all...
    Mention people by name and it's fine...
    Mention people by name and it's not fine...
    State something bad, your a doom merchant who deserves to be mocked...
    State something good, you're largely ignored...

:confused:

Given my own logic.. I probably should have kopped it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Marhay70

I think one can be forgiven for walking the tight rope as it's often hard to interpret posts/reactions around here...

Mention a Romanian and you're a racist...
    Mention a traveller and its a free for all...
    Mention people by name and it's fine...
    Mention people by name and it's not fine...
    State something bad, your a doom merchant who deserves to be mocked...
    State something good, you're largely ignored...

:confused:

Given my own logic.. I probably should have kopped it.

Apologies for the confusion, you can rely that my tongue was very firmly in my cheek.

:rolleyes:

Bypass opening today, happy days. Does anybody know if there's a map which details the entry and exit points, time to figure out what my best options are for heading to Dublin/Wexford from various different locations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭arseagon

• Registered Users Posts: 9,066 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Bypass opening today, happy days. Does anybody know if there's a map which details the entry and exit points, time to figure out what my best options are for heading to Dublin/Wexford from various different locations.

Oulart road, Kiltealy road, the N30 and Scarawalsh are the access points. You hardly need a map it isn't spaghetti junction.

Thanks arseagon, that serves as a really good overview.

From looking at it closer, the Tomnsfunshoge roundabout seems to be an off ramp for southerly traffic only... no sign of an on ramp in either direction and I don't see a junction on the Oulart road either...

arseagon wrote: »
    From looking at it closer, the Tomnsfunshoge roundabout seems to be an off ramp for southerly traffic only... no sign of an on ramp in either direction and I don't see a junction on the Oulart road either...

I was thinking the same thing, I live out the Oulart Road direction and have driven over that bridge several times during construction and only noticed an exit for southerly traffic.

That being said, it was a bit of a state at that point and I haven't been over it in several months as I've been using a different road to get to town, so am not sure what the current situation is. I might drive down that way this evening and take a closer look.

Wait no I'm wrong on that, closer inspection on my own link shows a road linking it back to the Ballydawmore Junction

arseagon wrote: »
    Wait no I'm wrong on that, closer inspection on my own link shows a road linking it back to the Ballydawmore Junction

Yep,Ballydawmore interchange is where you get on and off it there.

This image suggests that Tomnafunshoge is southerly exit only -

N79NOru.png

Scroll the map northwards....

• Advertisement

Heh... its a bit confusing for sure. You're right, when you follow the the shaded red/white road/lane that's hitting the roundabout North, it seems to be a separate road/lane up to Ballydawmore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

It'll be interesting to see what difference this makes to Enniscorthy. The HGVs and ferry traffic should be gone and so on. Which will make it a quieter and pleasanter. Some towns that are bypassed seem to take a breath and thrive whilst others decline. Wonder which way Enniscorthy will go? You'd think the decent size population and location would tend towards the former but been going the other way for quite a while.

BarryD2 wrote: »
    It'll be interesting to see what difference this makes to Enniscorthy. The HGVs and ferry traffic should be gone and so on. Which will make it a quieter and pleasanter. Some towns that are bypassed seem to take a breath and thrive whilst others decline. Wonder which way Enniscorthy will go? You'd think the decent size population and location would tend towards the former but been going the other way for quite a while.

As I said before,it was quicker to drive to Wexford than drive from one side of Enniscorthy to the other. One small hold up around the bridges led to gridlock around the town within a couple of minutes. Hopefully with that being alleviated we should see a more pleasant experience in getting around Enniscorthy.
    It was the traffic that put so many off going into the town unless absolutely necessary.

Personally I don't think Enniscorthy has much to lose... a handful of local business that benefited from the passing trade will feel the pinch. Quieter and pleasanter would be a huge plus.

As the potential newest mecca for commuters, I'm really not sure where I stand on that... areas like The Moyne and The Milehouse certainly aren't quieter and pleasanter as the volume of houses in both areas has sky rocketed. The parents live in The Moyne and you might not believe how busy that road is, I'd say on average, there's about 4-6 car related accidents/incidents per year outside their house. Purely from a traffic management perspective, I think there needs to be a smarter approach to housing estates.. out along the Dublin Road towards Scarawalsh, which should be significantly quieter now, might make more sense.

There's a whole new housing estate being built out the Milehouse off the new roundabout at the back of the petrol station (McSorleys) that was recently built. I don't know how big but seeing as the road links up with the Caim road at the Still pond and they're using that as a goods entrance would say to me it's going to be pretty big... You can see the road they built on the satellite view of google maps:

https://www.google.ie/maps/@52.509622,-6.5967594,1407m/data=!3m1!1e3

Glad I've nobody in The Vocational College or St. Aidan's Primary School... will be chocka up there in the morning's with another 600 houses on the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

As I said before,it was quicker to drive to Wexford than drive from one side of Enniscorthy to the other. One small hold up around the bridges led to gridlock around the town within a couple of minutes. Hopefully with that being alleviated we should see a more pleasant experience in getting around Enniscorthy.
    It was the traffic that put so many off going into the town unless absolutely necessary.

The attitude and plans of the local authorities will be key. Free parking or at least 1 or 2 hours free parking would help a lot to encourage people in the surrounding area to come in and shop in the town centre area. In theory, you could see a revival of many of the smaller retail units that are closed up. You could have a town centre more like Wexford or Kilkenny or even Gorey.

Mullingar was bypassed quite a few years ago, it went a little quieter for a time then the centre of town was always busy. Nowadays Westmeath CoCo seem to be bent on reintroducing traffic jams by widening the already wide pavements and pedestrianising the centre. Maybe it's a good idea to exclude cars from town centres though it flies in the face of the practicalities of rural transport in the hinterland areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I'm still baffled by that shaded red/white road at Tomnafunshoge that you follow North... I drive over the bypass just about every day at the location below and I've never noticed any sort of slip road or additional lane that joins up to Ballydawmore.

Qk85Ywa.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

kneemos wrote: »

Might anything found in Coogans....

Advertisement