Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭arseagon

It's a bit confusing alright but it is there. It can be see in the aerial photos on the official webpage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Ya, I'm probably interpreting it incorrectly in my head... the penny will drop when I get on the road over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Duffry Goat

Great positive report in today's Irish Times on the bypass. Let's keep it that way. I think a coffee outside Impresso tomorrow is called for to view the traffic activity.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/enniscorthy-bypass-will-utterly-transform-town-1.3960270

They are correct, it will utterly transform the town... but that could go either way if it's not properly managed. Here's hoping it turns out for the good of the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Enniscorthy needs jobs now, this road will definitely make the town a more attractive place but what the town doesn't need is more pedestrianisation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

The end today at Michael White's old premises on the Market Square.

blur_edges.jpg

I think anybody expecting a major retail uplift due to the bypass is being unduly optimistic as rates/rents and online shopping have hollowed out town centres nationwide. As for jobs in other sectors...

I forgot to mention that most of the charity shops will be closing down due to now being subject to full commercial rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Enniscorthy is 1-2 decent developments away from being a decent town. It needs something to make people go to the town, e.g. a Penneys/New Look/etc, not more charity shops and Dealz.

Enniscorthy is 1-2 decent developments away from being a decent town. It needs something to make people go to the town, e.g. a Penneys/New Look/etc, not more charity shops and Dealz.

At least Dealz and the charity shops fill what would otherwise be more empty retail units.

I don't see too many (if any) long term, sustainable jobs coming... skilled labor is where the growth is and companies on the lookout want to locate where the local market is rich in resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭paulaa

Pennys will never come to Enniscorthy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Needs a big ass Tesco or similar. The common denominator that makes Gorey and Wexford thronged with shoppers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭sjb25

Bypass opened just came down it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Marhay70

arseagon wrote: »
    They are correct, it will utterly transform the town... but that could go either way if it's not properly managed. Here's hoping it turns out for the good of the town.

Yep and looking back a few weeks at who the people of Wexford elected to do that doesn't augur well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Marhay70 wrote: »
    Yep and looking back a few weeks at who the people of Wexford elected to do that doesn't augur well.

Jackser will fix all our woes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Probably as likely as the blueshirt cadre or the Browne dynasty.

Down over looking the bypass now, yep an additional road running in parallel that connects the two roundabouts.

And next to nothing on The Island Road heading south...

jpb1974 wrote: »
    And next to nothing on The Island Road heading south...

Whoop!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Didn't he promise Penny's and a new cinema if elected ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Look at the likes of Wexford, Kilkenny or Westport - there's a fairly good mix of small retail outlets in the town centres, variety. That's what would make Enniscorthy, it could be lovely down by the river with outdoor dining / cafes in the summer. The town has real character in the streets and a fine setting in the landscape, if you have a selection of local businesses there - it could become a place where people would head to. Rather than just passing through as before or commuting from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭paulaa

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Look at the likes of Wexford, Kilkenny or Westport - there's a fairly good mix of small retail outlets in the town centres, variety. That's what would make Enniscorthy, it could be lovely down by the river with outdoor dining / cafes in the summer. The town has real character in the streets and a fine setting in the landscape, if you have a selection of local businesses there - it could become a place where people would head to. Rather than just passing through as before or commuting from.

The rents and rates on commercial properties in town are prohibitive,that's why there are so many empty shops.

Throw in online shopping and you have the perfect storm. Anyway, I could be mistaken, but anytime that I visit Waterford, Wexford or Gorey there seems to be a high turnover of shops and plenty of empty units. Retailing has never been easy and these days....

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Dammo

Is the bypass open all the way to New Ross road? Wasn’t when I passed through that way yesterday.

Dammo wrote: »
    Is the bypass open all the way to New Ross road? Wasn’t when I passed through that way yesterday.

No not yet, I think there's another few weeks work before that section opens.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Dammo

arseagon wrote: »
    No not yet, I think there's another few weeks work before that section opens.

Ah right, cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Throw in online shopping and you have the perfect storm. Anyway, I could be mistaken, but anytime that I visit Waterford, Wexford or Gorey there seems to be a high turnover of shops and plenty of empty units. Retailing has never been easy and these days....

Well, it's up to the LA to reduce rates and put in facilities and the local people and those in the hinterland to support them.

I just happen to think that Enniscorthy is one of the finer towns in terms of it's natural & built environment in Leinster. It's hilly but that gives it character. It has potential to be a destination that people will want to come into / visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Well, it's up to the LA to reduce rates and put in facilities and the local people and those in the hinterland to support them.

I just happen to think that Enniscorthy is one of the finer towns in terms of it's natural & built environment in Leinster. It's hilly but that gives it character. It has potential to be a destination that people will want to come into / visit.

The LA won't do that. As soon as a business opens they arrive with the hands out for rates. Other towns give reductions for new business with a sliding scale until said business is up and running but in Enniscorthy they don't get a chance as they have to fork out a fortune before they even get a customer or client in the door.
    Zero progressive thinking and just a money grab here.

The LA won't do that. As soon as a business opens they arrive with the hands out for rates. Other towns give reductions for new business with a sliding scale until said business is up and running but in Enniscorthy they don't get a chance as they have to fork out a fortune before they even get a customer or client in the door.
    Zero progressive thinking and just a money grab here.

They have introduced schemes and incentives - how much they work is open to debate - but they have tried.

https://www.wexfordcoco.ie/business/information-on-business-rates/rates-incentive-scheme/special-rates-incentive-scheme-for-the

https://www.wexfordcoco.ie/business/information-on-business-rates/rates-incentive-scheme/general-rates-incentive-scheme-2019

Also supports available:

https://www.wexfordcoco.ie/business/business-supports-and-grants/support-for-small-business-and-startups

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

Took me 2 mins longer to drive to Wexford today, despite their being no traffic along the Island Road. The road from enniscorthy to the scurloughsbush roundabout is now 80k. It's actually hard to keep to 80k on that wide open, now quieter road. The greed van is going to have a field day.

• Advertisement

TheChevron wrote: »
    Took me 2 mins longer to drive to Wexford today, despite their being no traffic along the Island Road. The road from enniscorthy to the scurloughsbush roundabout is now 80k. It's actually hard to keep to 80k on that wide open, now quieter road. The greed van is going to have a field day.

What the f**k? That's ridiculous...

Advertisement