Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Buck

zerks wrote: »
    Try the 1798 centre then,as I said it's literally a couple of minutes stroll from it down to the hotel.The hotel is overlooked by it,here's a map to give you an idea.

http://www.1798centre.ie/links.htm

Thanks Zerks, this was the ideal place to park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Sadly things are not working out on Rafter Street but I'm not going to go on about it here. I'm posting one pic which tells its own story and a link to where there is more of the same. http://countywexford.blogspot.com/

STREET%2BJUNE%2B002.JPG

Elsewhere the town is going through a major facelift and, in general, the place has not looked so well presented since I've been living in the area - about 10 years.

287-306cwTheAntiqueTavern.jpg

Don't forget - the Super 15 Rugby semi-finals this Saturday in the Antique Tavern (I hope!) - Stormers vs Crusaders KO 16.05 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Bearhunter

Crusaders by 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

If anyone is up in The Moyne are be sure and check out the fine job the council did on the trimming of the trees at the corner at the junction of Greenville Lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭cython

Sadly things are not working out on Rafter Street but I'm not going to go on about it here. I'm posting one pic which tells its own story and a link to where there is more of the same. http://countywexford.blogspot.com/

STREET%2BJUNE%2B002.JPG

JD, I think it's worth pointing out that the pictured pole has been straightened back to upright already, when I saw it yesterday. There are still cones present, but it's a quick enough response all the same. I also wouldn't take the pole being knocked askew as confirmation of the street "not being fit for purpose" as your blog suggests, seeing as it hasn't been opened to traffic (the purpose that the crossing serves) yet, and even if it had been, the pole was knocked against the intended flow of traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

What's the bets some auld wan in a Micra hit it:D

The street was too narrow for the Stagecoach to enter and as a result they couldn't get it in place in the Market Square for the Strawberry Fest.It'd be a travesty if it is open to traffic,I still reckon it's gona be deliveries only and the crossing lights are compulsary due to H+S rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭cython

zerks wrote: »
    What's the bets some auld wan in a Micra hit it:D

The street was too narrow for the Stagecoach to enter and as a result they couldn't get it in place in the Market Square for the Strawberry Fest.It'd be a travesty if it is open to traffic,I still reckon it's gona be deliveries only and the crossing lights are compulsary due to H+S rules.

I'd have my doubts about the bolded part, as in all the places I've seen similar setups, there is no necessity for a crossing, even on much longer streets, for example, Shop Street in Galway. More likely it was intended to open normally, but it may be revised to the setup you suggest, and the crossing will be a vestigial element of the original plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭UpHill

There's more good stuff going on in the town now than there has been for the last 15 years, in the 6 months

- Castle has reopened and is a major success
    - Strawberry fest seems to have been a big success
    - the prom has been seriously extended
    - Rafter street looks so much better now I think
    - Both hotels in the town have spent serious money on their premises which must mean they have confidence

Somebody/Some people are doing something right

I really think the litter lets the town down big time and it's the scumbags who can't manage to find a bin we have to thank for that. I saw the tidy towns going around the town again on the morning of the half marathon picking up stuff fair play, find myself throwing litter in my booth when I'm in town. Someone needs to come down hard big time on this. The town is chasing it's tail till it stops it. A lot of broken windows in the shannon at the moment, they really need to bring in a bye law or something to say they have got to be fixed within a certain time period

hopefully the old dunnes will be reopened, TK Max would draw a lot of people in from around the county and would be a big boost to the town I think (would Dunnes let it happen though that's the question)

I walked The Prom extension on Saturday. My honest thoughts would be as follows -

Pros

* Good to have access to a decent walk away from roads and cars

* The new bridge is a fine job and looks well

* Nice seating all the way done along

Cons

* The gritty surface they put down is very, very poor. It's uneven in places, feels like sand in some spots, isn't very buggy or wheelchair friendly and will probably wash away the next time the river floods

* About 30% of the path was covered in cow pat. Not sure where it all came from but it looks like someone was using the path to move cattle

* Visually it's not a great walk. Basically it's a path amogst a plethora of doc leafs, weeds and other wild growth.

Unfortunatley someone has already vandalised the last seat at the end of the path. Looks like it was burnt in the middle.

All in all it's OK... a decent walk, nice to have but could have been a lot better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

jpb1974 wrote: »
    I walked The Prom extension on Saturday. My honest thoughts would be as follows -

Pros

Cons

* The gritty surface they put down is very, very poor. It's uneven in places, feels like sand in some spots, isn't very buggy or wheelchair friendly and will probably wash away the next time the river floods

* About 30% of the path was covered in cow pat. Not sure where it all came from but it looks like someone was using the path to move cattle

* Visually it's not a great walk. Basically it's a path amogst a plethora of doc leafs, weeds and other wild growth.

Unfortunatley someone has already vandalised the last seat at the end of the path. Looks like it was burnt in the middle.

All in all it's OK... a decent walk, nice to have but could have been a lot better.
    Great review of a path there, you should review more paths. :D

• Advertisement

TheChevron wrote: »
    Great review of a path there, you should review more paths. :D

Aye, well done TheChevron, this is very true.

It'd certainly be more constructive than the vast majority of your posts around here :D:D:D

Aye, well done TheChevron, this is very true.

It'd certainly be more constructive than the vast majority of your posts around here :D:D:D
    Touché :o

I feel left out! :D I shall saunter down tomorrow and see if the extension meets with my approval - if the burnt seat is still there tomorrow, it will be posted here and emailed to the wretched Council.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

UpHill wrote: »
    There's more good stuff going on in the town now than there has been for the last 15 years, in the 6 months

- Castle has reopened and is a major success
    - Strawberry fest seems to have been a big success
    - the prom has been seriously extended
    - Rafter street looks so much better now I think
    - Both hotels in the town have spent serious money on their premises which must mean they have confidence

Somebody/Some people are doing something right

I really think the litter lets the town down big time and it's the scumbags who can't manage to find a bin we have to thank for that. I saw the tidy towns going around the town again on the morning of the half marathon picking up stuff fair play, find myself throwing litter in my booth when I'm in town. Someone needs to come down hard big time on this. The town is chasing it's tail till it stops it. A lot of broken windows in the shannon at the moment, they really need to bring in a bye law or something to say they have got to be fixed within a certain time period

hopefully the old dunnes will be reopened, TK Max would draw a lot of people in from around the county and would be a big boost to the town I think (would Dunnes let it happen though that's the question)

The Prom area is plagued by litter louts who love noisy shitbox cars.

There's a couple of gurriers who seem to get enjoyment from breaking windows and vandalising cars in the Shannon area,WE KNOW WHO YE ARE!!

Treacy's Hotel is going from strength to strength and the Riverside is very popular,they are bucking the trend in the hotel industry.

Nice to see Wilsons music venue/bar open in Templeshannon,all we need now is a few more of the vacant premises to find tenants and bring the area to life again,maybe temporary pedestrianisation on Friday and Saturday nights would be a good idea,it works in other towns and cities and wouldn't be a big inconvenience for drivers at night to go around via Springvalley.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭arseagon

Pros

Cons

It's a country walk, be happy that there is any path put down, out the actual country we walk in the ground that's there mud and all. It's not intended to be buggy or wheelchair friendly (probably a good part of the reason for the loads of steps on the bridge). I'm actually happy about this as it allows me to let the dog off the lead without fear of her jumping into a buggy to say hello to some terrified kid. She's not dangerous, just 7 months old and wants to meet everybody...

The land is still owned by farmers who are entitled to graze their animals on it, be aware that one of them is a bull. Young at the moment but they're all temperamental.. They generally get worse as they mature..

It's a country walk, be happy that there is any path put down, out the actual country we walk in the ground that's there mud and all. It's not intended to be buggy or wheelchair friendly (probably a good part of the reason for the loads of steps on the bridge). I'm actually happy about this as it allows me to let the dog off the lead without fear of her jumping into a buggy to say hello to some terrified kid. She's not dangerous, just 7 months old and wants to meet everybody...
    The land is still owned by farmers who are entitled to graze their animals on it, be aware that one of them is a bull. Young at the moment but they're all temperamental.. They generally get worse as they mature..

Enniscorthy announces extension to Prom Walkway.

The long awaited Prom walkway extension was officially launched last week by Town Councilor Paddy Kavanagh.

Thousands were spent designing the walkway to ensure it was buggy and wheelchair unfriendly. Specifically, dog loving engineers were tasked with designing a bridge that would deter those bound to wheelchairs and parents with buggies from accessing the new facility, viewed as a stroke of genius by some.

In order to ensure that the walkway had a good eco-friendly fit; cow pat was intentionally spread along the walk way to give that country feel to things.

But it doesn't stop there... the council have also arranged for a young bull to graze along the walk way. Again, this was to enhance the countryside authenticity along with ensuring that people were forced to get fit, as it is anticipated that the bull will turn the casual walker into a sprinter as soon as it ages. Councilor Kavanagh said that he did not forsee any sort of risk to the public.

Councilor Kavanagh said locals 'should be happy' with the new extension irrespective of what they think.

I feel left out! :D I shall saunter down tomorrow and see if the extension meets with my approval - if the burnt seat is still there tomorrow, it will be posted here and emailed to the wretched Council.

Get a grip JD! - saunter? - meets my approval? - wretched? egomaniac? Don't remember the election of any King of Enniscorthy recently :confused:

King of Enniscorthy

That title must already be occupied by one of the Quirkes from the Shannon? :D

Jackser is surely the Prince.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Ian7

it's been said before but you are doing more harm than good by posting pictures of vandalism etc. here. People searching Enniscorthy through google will no doubt be directed to this site and also to your misleading blog so what kind of advertisement is that for our town? icon9.gif Fair enough i agree with emailing the council but maybe you should consider keeping it at that? i reckon they see you as more of a nuisance than anything else.

• Advertisement

UpHill wrote: »
    Get a grip JD! - saunter? - meets my approval? - wretched? egomaniac? Don't remember the election of any King of Enniscorthy recently :confused:

I fail to see what my ego has to do with my use of the English language? :confused:

Saunter = to walk at a leisurely pace. http://www.thefreedictionary.com/saunter

Wretched = Of very inferior quality http://www.thefreedictionary.com/wretched

As for meeting my approval - it was said in jest as I'm sure the council couldn't care less what I or anybody else think - you need to get a life instead of nit picking.

And finally you don't get to elect Kings. :p

Ian7 wrote: »
    it's been said before but you are doing more harm than good by posting pictures of vandalism etc. here. People searching Enniscorthy through google will no doubt be directed to this site and also to your misleading blog so what kind of advertisement is that for our town? icon9.gif Fair enough i agree with emailing the council but maybe you should consider keeping it at that? i reckon they see you as more of a nuisance than anything else.

How is my blog misleading? I put plenty of positive things in it when there are good things to report. You are more than welcome to submit something positive to me and I will include it.

The Council see me as a nuisance? Good! The only way anything ever gets changed is by constant pressure - what are you doing to improve the town.

Below is my submission to Enniscorthy Tourism regarding improvements to their website for tomorrow's meeting - will I see you down there? :rolleyes:

blacknwhite004.jpg

I fail to see what my ego has to do with my use of the English language? :confused:

As for meeting my approval - it was said in jest as I'm sure the council couldn't care less what I or anybody else think - you need to get a life instead of nit picking.

That should be your mantra.

What baffles me here is this -

We have people complaining because JD highlights some of the negative aspects of the town.

The same people don't seem to pay much attention or make many comments when JD posts comments and photos about positive things happening in the town.

Simply disagreeing with someone for having an opinion changes nothing. I've always maintained that if people want more positivity then they should post more positivity.

Simples.

We did in Ireland, not sure where you're from JD -

http://www.libraryireland.com/SocialHistoryAncientIreland/I-II-3.php

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

I see nothing has changed in the Enniscorthy forum in the last 2 weeks. JD your are doing a good job highlighting all the problems in town that need the attention of the council. I wonder why have all the new traffic lights been left so long without been put into use.
    Regarding the extension to the prom, Its a waste of money put down a grit surface Wait till the Floods in November - December.

I see nothing has changed in the Enniscorthy forum in the last 2 weeks

I thought my review of the Prom extension was pretty good... surely this counts for something :p

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

I thought my review of the Prom extension was pretty good... surely this counts for something :p

It surely do. Keep up the good work It's between you and Jd for my number 1 vote in the next council elections.

Yeah thumbs up all around lads. Doom and gloom full steam ahead. Surely we'll manage to convince everyone that the town really is as bad as JD makes it look.
    High Five!

jpb, I have contributed some positive things by the way, I big-upped the Fair, big-upped Rafter street. I found some amazing deals on bear in Tesco! I don't know what more a man can do.

• Advertisement

I found some amazing deals on bear in Tesco!

Very true TheChevron... 6 pack of Bears only €5.

family-of-six-black-bears-caught-on-film.jpg

Advertisement