Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

Del.Monte wrote: »
    The cricket pitch at the Greyhound track is taking shape but I'm glad that I'm too old to be batting on this sticky wicket.

Who will be playing on that? Didn't think there was a club in Enniscorthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

RadioRetro wrote: »
    Who will be playing on that? Didn't think there was a club in Enniscorthy.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1554861761467375/

It's just for a festival over the August Bank Holiday but the talk is that it may lead to the re-establishment of Enniscorthy Cricket Club.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭blindsider

That would be great to see..the re-establishment of a CC. there are clubs in Wexford town, Gorey, Carlow and Waterford. Kilkenny are trying to set up a club.

Hope the demonstration in the Showgrounds goes well!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Marhay70

The Irish side doing so well at Lords (until the second innings anyway:eek:) could be a boost. I was never a big fan of test cricket but the one day and 20/20 can be very exciting, I'd love to see it catch on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Carlow team mothballed in 81 due to lack of interest; since reformed in 2011 due to arrival of Rohingya Muslims in sizeable numbers (69-72 I think); initially the "new" club played out of rugby pitch but Carlow RFC wanted to put floodlights in & so they now play on grounds of Carlow College; think this is year 2 or 3 that they've done this; unsure if the club pays rent to the college but the crease goes down round Easter time/April.

The club now've 2 Male Adult Teams in Leinster Leagues & are/were starting a girls/womens team.

Nationality wise it's either 12 or 26 different countries & regions represented incl. 1 Irishman though unsure if he's on panel or team.

One thing I'll say if Enniscorthy is to restart a cricket team; publicity!

Passing by Carlow Colleges entrances (2) on a match day you wouldn't know a game's on; no signs to say who they're playing at home or when.

Bagenalstown (the Baggies) also have teams; they never folded during the 80s or 90s.

Nationalist reports on games involving the local teams weekly; again if Enniscorthy get going again then the local papers should do this too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

Local papers usually expect someone in the club to submit match reports which they are happy to print.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

I remember telling some one in a pub in Wexford Town about Wexford Cricket Club, this person was wearing a Liverpool jersey and his reply to me was "Why would anyone be bothered with one of those Brit sports"

Anyway from my experience in Wexford Hospital I think some of the Indian/Asian community play cricket in Wexford and it seems to do well.

Douglas Newman Good have Michael White's old shop on the market for €225k. Deep pockets will be needed to do anything with it.

M%2BWHITES%2BDNG.png

BRIDGE.jpg

Meanwhile down by the beautiful Slaney the damaged wall at the bridge appears to this untutored eye to have moved further out - are the local authorities waiting for it to end up in the river?

While looking at the bridge my eye was drawn to a number of large long term items of plastic rubbish in the river - surely it's not beyond the ability of the council to put a small boat in and recover said items? Perhaps they are waiting for the next flood to shift the stuff further downstream.

9.38am - Just emailed our two local TDs and our local councillors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

What is the story with getting a taxi in Enniscorthy these days? It has become impossible to get one and TK now close their doors? Why?
    Uber is badly needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭arseagon

Are TK gone out of business then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

TK close their base office at around 9pm I think and only take bookings by phone after that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

TheChevron wrote: »
    TK close their base office at around 9pm I think and only take bookings by phone after that time.

Why do they do that? I rang and they told me well over an hour would be waiting. If we had Uber, people would be cleared out of the town much quicker and there'd be less risk of ending up in a row as frustrations over taxis grow.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The old Xtravision store being cleared out today, hopefully new tenants moving in.

Regarding the bridge, surely the time to do the remedial work is now while the river is low??

The old Xtravision store being cleared out today, hopefully new tenants moving in.

Regarding the bridge, surely the time to do the remedial work is now while the river is low??

Bridge definitely seems worse this evening and rubbish still in river. Xtravision - why would anybody take it? Online/rates/rent - the perfect storm.

The preparation for the Rocking Food Festival in full swing in the town, it's rapidly turning into a brilliant festival for the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

The preparation for the Rocking Food Festival in full swing in the town, it's rapidly turning into a brilliant festival for the town.

I've heard from some traders that their fees have gone up from last year and some traders have pulled out.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Link for anyone interested - https://www.rockinfoodfestival.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

What’s with a funfair operator being beaten with stones on Monday last? Cultural issue?

• Advertisement

Meanwhile down by the beautiful Slaney the damaged wall at the bridge appears to this untutored eye to have moved further out - are the local authorities waiting for it to end up in the river?

While looking at the bridge my eye was drawn to a number of large long term items of plastic rubbish in the river - surely it's not beyond the ability of the council to put a small boat in and recover said items? Perhaps they are waiting for the next flood to shift the stuff further downstream.

9.38am - Just emailed our two local TDs and our local councillors.[/QUOTE]

Delighted to say - against expectations - the rubbish mentioned above has been removed from the river.

Top marks to James Browne TD for responding to my enquiries and keeping me informed about his contacts with the Council.

Some marks to Paul Kehoe TD and Cllr.Cathal Byrne for at least taking the time to respond to my email.

Zero points to Councillors Kathleen Codd-Nolan; Jackser Owens; and John O'Rourke for not having the courtesy to reply to me - I suppose it's a long time to the next local elections.

blur_edges.jpg

Above: Lunchtime today and a solitary Heron was enjoying the newly cleaned up riverbed - it really doesn't take much does it?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Mondo44

vicwatson wrote: »
    What’s with a funfair operator being beaten with stones on Monday last? Cultural issue?

It’s kind of an unwritten rule in the fair industry that one crowd stay out of town till the other crowd has packed up and left..
    The council told the lads that are here for the rockin food festival to park up in the show grounds. Of course this is where the other crowd were and it all kicked off

Mondo44 wrote: »
    It’s kind of an unwritten rule in the fair industry that one crowd stay out of town till the other crowd has packed up and left..
    The council told the lads that are here for the rockin food festival to park up in the show grounds. Of course this is where the other crowd were and it all kicked off

What the hell? So that’s how it all works, how juvenile is that.

vicwatson wrote: »
    What the hell? So that’s how it all works, how juvenile is that.

Watch the Simpsons episode with the Carnies.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

Is there a re-enactment of 1798 this weekend or is it over for this yr?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,066 ✭✭✭CoBo55

What's the story about the cordoned off house on the Ross road?

Over as far as I know as the original events took place during May and June 1798.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,066 ✭✭✭CoBo55

There was one done in June, the 21st was the actual day so they try to keep it close to that date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Is there something in the castle about the Normans? Saw people dressed up.

Advertisement