Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

I have to be fair to Ian7 also... he posted one of the best reviews this forum has seen in a while right here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=72367352

I just wish he could be more positive about the beer in Lidl... anyone thinking about visiting Lidl for a few beers is going to see this thread and be put off straight away :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

jpb1974 wrote: »
    Very true TheChevron... 6 pack of Bears only €5.

family-of-six-black-bears-caught-on-film.jpg
    Not only are you great at reviewing paths, you also have a keen eye for a typo. Well done sir.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I have to be fair to Ian7 also... he posted one of the best reviews this forum has seen in a while right here:

I just wish he could be more positive about the beer in Lidl... anyone thinking about visiting Lidl for a few beers is going to see this thread and be put off straight away :p

Perlenbacher Pils-it's amazing,a great beer.Might even convert JD from Heineken.

Anyhow,I haven't been down the new path,pity to hear it's covered in cowdung.
    But in all my years I've never seen anybody push a wheelchair down the length of the prom so going further won't be an issue.

But in all my years I've never seen anybody push a wheelchair down the length of the prom so going further won't be an issue.

I would agree but I spotted at least 4 on the new extension when I was down there last Saturday.

One poor chap had trekked about 1/2 way down the extension with a buggy. It was sweltering hot and boy did I feel his pain.

I'd say he murdered a 6 pack of bears when he got back home.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Ian7

How is my blog misleading? I put plenty of positive things in it when there are good things to report. You are more than welcome to submit something positive to me and I will include it.

County Wexford & Sunny south East blog? I thought it was some sort of tourism site but i was obviously misled. There are plenty of positive things happening but you always see the negative. (mocking the new bins on rafter street for example)
    The Council see me as a nuisance? Good! The only way anything ever gets changed is by constant pressure - what are you doing to improve the town.

I said they 'probably' see you as a nuisance. Look, I appreciate what you are trying to do, i just feel that you are going about it the wrong way. You also seem to presume that you're the only one who cares and is active around the town? If you must know i have attended many a public meeting like yourself, and have been on the strawberry fair committee amongst other things and true, I couldn't deal with the bull at times but I have tried and still try to do my bit regardless.
    Below is my submission to Enniscorthy Tourism regarding improvements to their website for tomorrow's meeting - will I see you down there? rolleyes.gif

As regards today's meeting, i won't lie.. i wasn't aware of any such public meeting and i doubt ill get the time to attend. You seem to have put alot of time into preparing 90+ pages of a report for a man who doesn't care for volunteer work.

• Advertisement

cheeky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Ian7 - you make lots of fair points - more positivity coming. Today's Tourism meeting was cancelled due to holidays but as luck would have it, the person who informed me about that was the new Town Development Officer. I handed over my report to her last night and we had a very worthwhile chat about things in general - what I saw as the problems (including the seat in the Market Square only yards from her office), the Tourism website (which is just undergoing a revamp) and now at least I have a direct and helpful channel to the Council. I did explain that I will continue to highlight the problem areas until something is done about them but that I will be putting a more and more positive spin on my internet posting.

There's no doubt that due to the Council inspired, business premises repainting scheme, the town has never looked better. Great job being completed on Stamps today, now if only the burnt-out pub and the upper storeys of the Abrakebabra premises could be dealt with.... How about window boxes next and the town is half way to being Clonakilty.

And here it is - Stamps Pub in all its glory! A bastion of ould decency and a good pub to watch rugby in. You won't find any paninis or caffè lattes here - just good pints and bacon fries or dry roasted peanuts.

STAMPS%2B002.JPG

the new Town Development Officer. I handed over my report to her last night and we had a very worthwhile chat about things in general

Fair play JD.

Ian7 - you make lots of fair points - more positivity coming. Today's Tourism meeting was cancelled due to holidays but as luck would have it, the person who informed me about that was the new Town Development Officer. I handed over my report to her last night and we had a very worthwhile chat about things in general - what I saw as the problems (including the seat in the Market Square only yards from her office), the Tourism website (which is just undergoing a revamp) and now at least I have a direct and helpful channel to the Council. I did explain that I will continue to highlight the problem areas until something is done about them but that I will be putting a more and more positive spin on my internet posting.

There's no doubt that due to the Council inspired, business premises repainting scheme, the town has never looked better. Great job being completed on Stamps today, now if only the burnt-out pub and the upper storeys of the Abrakebabra premises could be dealt with.... How about window boxes next and the town is half way to being Clonakilty.

And here it is - Stamps Pub in all its glory! A bastion of ould decency and a good pub to watch rugby in. You won't find any paninis or caffè lattes here - just good pints and bacon fries or dry roasted peanuts.

That's cool, yeah she seems to be a fairly down to earth sort of person too and will probably take on board a lot of your advice. It might have sounded like i was dismissing your report earlier but I am secretly impressed that you went to all that trouble. As i said earlier, i appreciate what you are trying to do and fair play for having so much passion about it.

I think the problem with boards is that things get unnecessarily heated sometimes.

Also, do you think there is a need for a new thread dedicated solely to genuine ideas or solutions for enniscorthy with a view to compiling a similar report, possibly annually or meeting up every few months or so to debate them over a simple pint? I'm just throwing that out there..

Ian7 wrote: »

Also, do you think there is a need for a new thread dedicated solely to genuine ideas or solutions for enniscorthy with a view to compiling a similar report, possibly annually or meeting up every few months or so to debate them over a simple pint? I'm just throwing that out there..

There is one, http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=67311001

• Advertisement

zerks wrote: »

Just had a look back over it and there has definitely been a serious improvement in the town since that thread started - against the National trend it has to be said. The repainting of many business premises has been great and needs to be followed through on by other cheap and cheerful ideas like window boxes. I have to say, I'm a lot less ashamed to see tourists looking around the town now than I was six months ago. And we need tourists as the shops may be bright and cheerful but spending as dived since Christmas and local spending alone is not going to turn things round. I still think we need a place where aspiring retailers could rent space cheaply to get a foot in the door - a poor man's version of the Blackrock Market http://www.blackrockmarket.com/stall-holders.html in Dublin. If you been there you'll know what I mean. It creates a buzz in the town, a bit of life - like the Saturday Farmers Market in Abbey Square.

Nice to see the constant badgering is getting results,if we sat back and accepted the town going down the pan would as many improvements have taken place?
    People have criticised the negativity on these threads but highlighting the problems has led to action being taken and the town is becoming a welcoming place again and aesthetically pleasing in the main but needs more work.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Excellent post Zerks. I am just after reading over the Enniscorthy Snag thread there was Guys on that back then attacking some posters regarding comments made on the State of the town.

that's fair enough i suppose, but I'm talking about ideas such as JD's window box idea or the re painting scheme. ideas without naming specific problems if you will.
    I still think we need a place where aspiring retailers could rent space cheaply to get a foot in the door - a poor man's version of the Blackrock Market

I like this idea, the malting's building beside the new dunnes stores would be a nice spot for this. Maybe you have somewhere else in mind? on a similar note, i was looking at the canopy that is used over the square and was wondering if something like that but larger could be applied over the farmers market for rainy days.

Nice to see the constant badgering is getting results,if we sat back and accepted the town going down the pan would as many improvements have taken place?
    People have criticised the negativity on these threads but highlighting the problems has led to action being taken and the town is becoming a welcoming place again and aesthetically pleasing in the main but needs more work.

i reckon that if highlighting the problems works then presenting solutions or ideas would be as effective, that is of course if you are positive that all these improvements have been made just because the problems have appeared on boards.ie?

i reckon that if highlighting the problems works then presenting solutions or ideas would be as effective, that is of course if you are positive that all these improvements have been made just because the problems have appeared on boards.ie?

Nobody here is taking credit for action being taken with regard to improvements in the town but it's a known fact that somebody on the Town Council reads these posts and quotes have been lifted directly from these threads and used in the press by Councillors in the past.

I suppose this forum is an alternative to writing letters to the editors of the local papers and we know that someone is paying attention to what's being written here.

There has been suggestions posted and it's not all negativity but I suppose it's an Irish trait that we love a good moan now and again,boards gives us a good chance to do that.

Back on topic-some more growth in the town with the opening of a new hair salon at Bellfield near the new chemist.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Nobody here is taking credit for action being taken with regard to improvements in the town but it's a known fact that somebody on the Town Council reads these posts and quotes have been lifted directly from these threads and used in the press by Councillors in the past.

I suppose this forum is an alternative to writing letters to the editors of the local papers and we know that someone is paying attention to what's being written here.

There has been suggestions posted and it's not all negativity but I suppose it's an Irish trait that we love a good moan now and again,boards gives us a good chance to do that.

Back on topic-some more growth in the town with the opening of a new hair salon at Bellfield near the new chemist.

+1

you are the most stubborn bunch of feckers i've ever met, but fair play to ye all. I do admire the good will behind all of this though and kudos if it has gotten results!!! While I'm here i might aswell spread some more love and joy..

Just spotted a poster on the way in this morning for the Art in the Open Festival which is running across the county at the end of July and will be in 'Scorthy on the 29th.. http://www.artintheopen.org/art-in-the-open-2011/

Also, the Riverside Jump festival is back and will be on the 16th of July as stated on the many posters that are around. Looks like our little county has become a hive of summer festivals with the Dunbrody & street rhythms festival still to come. The variety is fantastic. Might even start me own festival next year

Oh and also, repairs are hopefully due to commence on the church institute building (the red brick one on the corner across from Saint Mary's church which was damaged in a fire some years back) very shortly. These are only roof and weathering repairs however but the committee behind this have been trying for some years now to get that place back open. If they could somehow incorporate some kind of tourism element there it would be great, that area would be like a tourism quarter with the Castle, Church, Athenaeum and Church institute building.. not to mention maura's craft shop.

*** Positivity Alert ***

Seating along the Quay was being upgraded this morning with brand new, slightly more modern looking, replacement models.

• Advertisement

*** Positivity Alert ***

Seating along the Quay was being upgraded this morning with brand new, slightly more modern looking, replacement models.
    No place for that kind of talk around here.

*** Positivity Alert ***

:) nice

was reading the tender invitation for court street and Irish street renovations.
    "Removal of Existing Footpaths, replace footpaths with new granite paving & street furniture. Also includes realignment of footpaths."

Does anyone know how far down Irish street they are goin with this?

was reading the tender invitation for court street and Irish street renovations.
    "Removal of Existing Footpaths, replace footpaths with new granite paving & street furniture. Also includes realignment of footpaths."

Does anyone know how far down Irish street they are goin with this?
    I was thinking to myself the other day how stupid it was to put another Italian chipper down Irish St, but seeing as its being renovated with street furniture etc, it might not turn out to be too bad after all.

Looks like construction of the new sports centre at Cherryorchard is to be started almost immediately and is planned to be opened within 2 years.

All this positivity could ruin this thread:pac:

All this positivity could ruin this thread:pac:

hahaha, not at all. Keep sendin' out the good vibes.

On a separate note, i think the council should deploy some sort of painting grant scheme to the island road houses. An auld lick of paint and helpin hand would be great for those houses. They get some hardship down there what with all the flooding incidents and constant traffic.

I don't know about paint for buildings on the Island Road as the volume of traffic would soon have it destroyed again with the dirt and dust. On a different tack, I've often thought that the Council should investigate the gradual acquisition and demolition of all the buildings on the river side of the Island Road as it would greatly improve the appearance of the town. I doubt, even if the will was there, that it will ever happen due to the current dire financial situation.

I don't know about paint for buildings on the Island Road as the volume of traffic would soon have it destroyed again with the dirt and dust. On a different tack, I've often thought that the Council should investigate the gradual acquisition and demolition of all the buildings on the river side of the Island Road as it would greatly improve the appearance of the town. I doubt, even if the will was there, that it will ever happen due to the current dire financial situation.

I believe Jackser Owens suggested something similar a while back. There was talk about millions being spent building a retainer wall behind these houses to prevent flooding but Jackser was against it as it would be an eye-sore, instead suggesting that the residents be re-housed somewhere else.

I certainly would be in favour of a paint scheme at the very least... no offense to the residents but it's one of the most miserable looking locations
    in the town.

I certainly would be in favour of a paint scheme at the very least... no offense to the residents but it's one of the most miserable looking locations
    in the town.

A lick of paint wouldn't go astray-how many motorists are stuck in traffic along there every evening,if it was brightened up a bit it would be a nice first view of the town for southbound drivers.

• Advertisement

yeah its a tough one, a long term solution is needed for that road but until then a paint scheme would be the obvious quick fix and a cheap option too. Even if it were to be done every few years it would make a better first impression.

Just wondering, If an acquisition plan was ever to go ahead would it include both sides of the road and what would you like to see there instead? An open green area with seating? A parking area similar to the one across from Vinny's or a mix of both? Maybe a new bus shelter?

Advertisement