Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

No plans for an asylum centre apparently.

https://wexfordtoday.com/2020/03/31/no-plans-for-direct-provision-centre-in-enniscorthy/

The Guardian had an article about fifty women practically on their way.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

In Dunnes very briefly today - checkout girl no gloves or mask. In the Credit Union where they are fairly well organised a man lent into the hatch hands all over the counter all the time he was there and finished off by coughing - I nearly ran out the door.

And more negativity - another window in Xtravision smashed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

kneemos wrote: »
    No plans for an asylum centre apparently.

https://wexfordtoday.com/2020/03/31/no-plans-for-direct-provision-centre-in-enniscorthy/

The Guardian had an article about fifty women practically on their way.

No harm; the s**t show on Jackser Owens & Cathal Byrnes pages was odious.

Main issue with DP for me is lack of communication with locals; it leads to words like "dumped" being used like such people are rubbish & not human; the flip side of it is you can't choose your neighbours.

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    No harm; the s**t show on Jackser Owens & Cathal Byrnes pages was odious.

Main issue with DP for me is lack of communication with locals; it leads to words like "dumped" being used like such people are rubbish & not human; the flip side of it is you can't choose your neighbours.

Facebook is probably where the story originated from. Alongside the white van cruising the area.

It's a great time to be out walking and I'm averaging about 7km a day and hardly see a soul. This morning at about 7.15am you could actually hear the Slaney and not a car/truck to be heard.

Second walk about 11.30am took me out to Davis' Mill and back along the Promenade - met just three people in total.

PROM%2BAPRIL%2B1st.jpeg
    BIRDS.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Gotta agree Del Monte, I'm WFH but getting about 10k a day in so as I'm not stuck inside all day. One thing though is the amount of dog **** in the town is disgraceful, and a lot of fly tipping, especially out Cherryorchard towards the Still and out by Carleys Bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭paulaa

Gotta agree Del Monte, I'm WFH but getting about 10k a day in so as I'm not stuck inside all day. One thing though is the amount of dog **** in the town is disgraceful, and a lot of fly tipping, especially out Cherryorchard towards the Still and out by Carleys Bridge.

The Moyne and Greenville are the same . The footpaths are full of it. I see people standing and watching while their dogs do their business in people's gardens. They don't bother picking it up either.

Anybody receive their FREE An Post "Come Together. Write Now" postcards yet? I haven't which is kind of ironic given that I run the only two postcard sites in the country.

Here's the shameless plug: https://irishpostcards.wordpress.com/ :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

They probably picked them up when they were over in China..... :)
    Have not received either. Won't use them when I do as I am sure the post is another spreading mechanism.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

No, no cards here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,056 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Got mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭blindsider

The cards have a very glossy back/writing surface. Completely unsuitable for writing on IMO. :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Vic_08

blindsider wrote: »
    The cards have a very glossy back/writing surface. Completely unsuitable for writing on IMO. :-(

Perfect for keeping viruses alive for the maximum length of time however.

We got two, my daughter posted one to her Nanny in the Shannon and one to an elderly friend in Bellefield. Really lovely idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Might there be any of these available in Post Office iitself?

Reason being I share accommodation (mutual entrance/porch) & because upstairs neighbours in first floor flat've a kid I left them at it.

But I wouldn't mind getting 2 myself for my Ma in 'Scorthy (Shingan, Milehouse Rd.) & my Da (over the border in Sth. Co. Carlow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭jordata

We received our postcards last week. Have written them and returned them to the post box. I think it's lovely idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Not quite an Enniscorthy thing but apparently there was a row on the Joe Duffy show as people were asking was it okay for them to go to their holiday homes and mobiles in Wexford this weekend if they observed social distancing as they do at home. They couldn't see why people were getting upset over loads of families decamping from Dublin and invading county Wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Surely mobile home parks and the like won't be open, hardly what could be classed as an essential service.

Marhay70 wrote: »
    Surely mobile home parks and the like won't be open, hardly what could be classed as an essential service.

Afaik the mobile parks were open but closed when Paul Kehoe said on local radio that people travelling down to stay in them during a pandemic wasn't on.
    Holiday homes are another story. Look at the furore over the people landing in Connemara etc to sit this lockdown out.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

All Mobile home parks are all closed since 24th of March. This will be reviewed by the Government on the 19th of April. But Leo should come straight out before Friday and tell people that they are not allowed to visit holiday homes instead of just asking people to not visit.

• Advertisement

St Senan wrote: »
    All Mobile home parks are all closed since 24th of March. This will be reviewed by the Government on the 19th of April. But Leo should come straight out before Friday and tell people that they are not allowed to visit holiday homes instead of just asking people to not visit.

Agreed, but I think the plan is to appeal to peoples' common sense and build a community spirit. I think the government don't want to come the heavy for fear of it being counterproductive.

Put guards at every junction on the N/M11 and send them all back...

it's possible that the legislation due to pass this week could lead to just that.

Marhay70 wrote: »
    it's possible that the legislation due to pass this week could lead to just that.

Announced on Primetime tonight,up to a €2500 fine. New powers for Gardai.

Listening to Charlie Flanagan on the radio this morning and wasn't impressed, too much "should do" and "may not". Laws need to be robust and strictly enforced, to make people sit up and think about what they are doing.
    One caller from Cork spoke of dozens of British cars disembarking from ferries, possibly to visit family here or holiday homes and little sign of Garda intervention. We're either going to do this or we're not, no half measures and I think the vast majority of our population will tolerate a temporary erosion of Civil Liberties to get over this.

Charlie Flanagan should have been pensioned off years ago as he has no control over his law and order brief.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,094 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

In positive news, Malloca's is open again from tomorrow. Collection and delivery only.

Sandro's is my new favourite takeaway though.

• Advertisement

In positive news, Malloca's is open again from tomorrow. Collection and delivery only.

Sandro's is my new favourite takeaway though.

Sandro's wins hands down in my opinion. :)

Advertisement