Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

An open green area on the river side of the road but I can't see it happening. Anyway, until the Enniscorthy Bypass happens there's just too much traffic coming down that road to do much with it. Positivity still in force this week. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Anyone see the guy carrying a large cross heading northbound on the N11 from Enniscorthy at about 5pm today?

On another note,the Enniscorthy bypass has been put on the long finger by Leo Varadker,yipee another few years of being stuck in traffic.
    Funny how the Tralee bypass has started-the Jackie Healy Rae effect is amazing,for all his faults he gets things done in Kerry-pity we don't have someone that can do the same for Co.Wexford.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Well done Zerks.. first post in almost a month on the 'Enniscorthy' thread.

It was starting to get boring around here :D

The council came up and dug up half the shíte they planted on the corner at the Moyne-Greenville Lane junction a few months back (strangely enough I had complained about this spot here in the past)... so it looked slightly better for a few weeks... now all the turned soil is starting to weed up... and I suspect it could be another year before it's touched.

Why they just didn't leave it as grass I'll never know.. the old man used to cut it... it looked well... and then someone in ETC decided a neglected mutation of un-organised plants, used to conceal empty beer cans and crisp bags, would somehow make an improvement :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Ian7

jpb1974 wrote: »
    Well done Zerks.. first post in almost a month on the 'Enniscorthy' thread.

It was starting to get boring around here :D

Sure isn't it the summer? ya should be out outside on your bike.

Anyways, anyone know if permission has been granted yet for the bus shelter on the Quay? Speaking of the quay, and i may be stepping over to the dark side here but.... there a couple of premises along the quay that could have seriously done with applying to the painting scheme. Now, maybe they are waiting for the grant to go through but it's really disheartening to see the state of that area when many of the other premises around town are busy decorating.

Ian7 wrote: »
    Sure isn't it the summer? ya should be out outside on your bike.

Anyways, anyone know if permission has been granted yet for the bus shelter on the Quay? Speaking of the quay, and i may be stepping over to the dark side here but.... there a couple of premises along the quay that could have seriously done with applying to the painting scheme. Now, maybe they are waiting for the grant to go through but it's really disheartening to see the state of that area when many of the other premises around town are busy decorating.

It's in a state alright,maybe it's due to the flood risk that nothing is being done to brighten it up-makes for a depressing sight for anyone getting off a bus.

On another note,the next phase of the main drainage has been green lighted with work to start in the New Year (unless some busybody in government withdraws funding)

• Advertisement

Nice to see a sizable crowd in the Square tonight for the Street Rythms dance fest.
    Anyone with kids might be interested to know that Barney etc. will be appearing at the Castle tomorrow morning (20th) from 10.30am to 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

zerks wrote: »
    Nice to see a sizable crowd in the Square tonight for the Street Rythms dance fest.
    Anyone with kids might be interested to know that Barney etc. will be appearing at the Castle tomorrow morning (20th) from 10.30am to 12.

Light show last night http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ho-Q7DUlKOU

signs2+001.JPG

Some positive news! According to the Church of Ireland Parish Newsletter work is shortly to commence on the restoration of St.Mary's Church Institute at the corner of Church Street and Castle Street. Builders have been appointed and work on replacing fire damaged timbers and the roof is due to be completed before the end of the year. Hallelujah!

signs2+001.JPG

Some positive news! According to the Church of Ireland Parish Newsletter work is shortly to commence on the restoration of St.Mary's Church Institute at the corner of Church Street and Castle Street. Builders have been appointed and work on replacing fire damaged timbers and the roof is due to be completed before the end of the year. Hallelujah!

Maybe they'll start on the Atheneum aswell while they're in the area:rolleyes:

After looking at the Castle video tonight I came across this rather nice video of Enniscorthy during the December 2010 snow - here it is as it deserves a wider audience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Ian7

Don't get too excited JD, it's only the first phase which is roof repairs. The inside requires quite a bit of work due to the fire and years of lying unused. It doesn't look so bad from the outside but there is a hole in the roof at the back which has let in pigeons and rainwater. But its fantastic to see some positive movements with this building.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭UpHill

The shopfront painting has really made a big difference to the town, such a pity something is not done about that wrecked house beside the old bridge, really letting the town down. It should either be demolished or sorted out.

Work started - early - this morning! :D

INSTITUTE%2B002.JPG

http://countywexford.blogspot.com/

Enniscorthy made slight progress from 2010 in the latest "Tidy Towns" competition and the full report on the town may be read here: http://www.tidytowns.ie/u_reports/2011/2011%20County%20Wexford%20Enniscorthy%20216.pdf

Surprisingly, for me, I thought they were a little harsh on the town which has come on in leaps and bounds in recent months. Interestingly they agreed with my points on too much clutter and oak (!) trees on Rafter Street. However, their visit to the Children's playground on the Promenade beggars belief and I quote 'The playground at the start of the river promenade was in a
    terrible state on adjudication day with litter strewn everywhere (otherwise it was a good spot)
    .'

Nothing that a blind man on a galloping horse wouldn't see!

enniscorthy+008.JPG

I notice in recent weeks the council have gone mad replacing public seating around the town - but notably not the ones outside their offices - and I am astounded by how much this must have cost. What have they done with all the removed seating which, in most cases, needed no more than a decent paint job. :rolleyes:

Good read there JD... you sure you're not the author?
    The council came up and dug up half the shíte they planted on the corner at the Moyne-Greenville Lane junction a few months back (strangely enough I had complained about this spot here in the past)... so it looked slightly better for a few weeks... now all the turned soil is starting to weed up... and I suspect it could be another year before it's touched.

Why they just didn't leave it as grass I'll never know.. the old man used to cut it... it looked well... and then someone in ETC decided a neglected mutation of un-organised plants, used to conceal empty beer cans and crisp bags, would somehow make an improvement rolleyes.gif

They came up and cleaned it up again shortly after the post above...

It is starting to weed up again now... it's only a matter of time before the Japanese knotweed and Himalayan Balsam strikes!

Why the never left it as gra... oh, forget about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

I agree with Rafter street being "cluttered". I still don't understand the turn in the paving - a very angular turn in the paths. A curved line would have looked better. It looks ugly to me.
    Surely you'd find the centre-line of the street and offset the paving from the centre-line. The different coloured slabs also add to the "cluttered" look.

The playground on the Prominade is a great asset to parents in the town. It is well used & my kids love it. Unfortunately sometimes the bins are let overflow and all the timberwork need to be painted. I do feel that in general the Council do a good job pof keeping it clean & useable. Graffitti & vandalism is a problem.

I wonder how much the Council has spent on footpaths? The footpath adjustment (ramp) at the new traffic lights at CBS has created the perfect pond. During heavy rain the road becomes waterlogged - lots of fun for drivers passing students at the lights this winter!! Lads ya better bring spare cloths to school!:D

Had a read of the Tidy Towns report and many of the issues could be tackled easily (excessive signage seems to pop up regularly)

On the topic of the prom area,litter and the destruction of the playground is a problem.I've mentioned the habits of boyracers using it as a meeting area and rubbish tip before (a few prosecutions for littering might stop them).

With regard to the playground perhaps security fencing around it and it being locked from dusk 'til dawn could be a solution with a member of the Riverside staff being a keyholder (it's in their interest to have the area looking inviting)

It has been on my mind for ages now to approach the Riverside management about the playground but I don't think they would have the gumption to take an interest in it. :(

Has anybody any info on when or if the Old Dunnes Stores site will see a tenant? After all the rumours earlier,things seem to have gone dead.

Culleton Insurance's office on Castle Hill will also be vacant shortly as they are closing 7 out of their 8 offices. :(

• Advertisement

Nice to see the damaged footpaths being repaired but the flagstones installed at pedestrian crossings for blind people are in an awful state and broken in pieces and a claim waiting to happen.They are down no length and the contractor should be made replace them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

Anyone hear Jackser's speech when the camogie girls arrived? He made a reference to Enniscorthy as being "Fairgreen people", which upset a few Shannon-siders. :D

Anyone hear Jackser's speech when the camogie girls arrived?

You'd wanna be fairly sensitive to take anything Jackser says to heart... I mean he isn't exactly Barack Obama when it comes to speeches and I'm not sure if he really represents the Shannon side of town at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

Well I heard there was a heated debate in a local establishment about it last night.

Also, "congratulations to both toms" was said. :D

I thought drinking on the streets was banned in the town? Some of our finest residents:rolleyes: were sitting at the award winning park opposite the CBS drinking as students were leaving school,not a nice sight to see.

As always it's the same scumbags doing it then causing hassle around the town but despite then having a myriad of convictions nothing seems to be done to stop them.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭haron

it suits the cops to let these people drink in public places as that way they know where they are and they don't have to go look to find them.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Padjo1981

We don't have "cops" but the Garda in town are next to useless

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Elmidena

Beyond useless.
    Got my flat robbed years ago by a pair of pikey cnuts who were kind enough to leave wedges behind after clearing off with all my gear; CCTV on Supervalu identified them within the hour to the gardaí. Weeks later I asked how the investigation was going and I was given a fobbed off excuse of how they'd left the country the next day and nothing could be done about it. Yeah, I totally believe that when I saw the images myself and know them from the town. Bastrads.

Maybe the most entertaining part was when the Super's phone went off in my flat to this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Elmidena

Meant to ask, what's the craic with repaving the side of the road beside Supervalu and making its double yellows nice and bright the whole length, and the other side it still craters of the moon? To deter drivers from being allowed to legally park?? If they just wanted to waste their road surfacing budget, there are many, MANY places in town that would benefit from it!

• Advertisement

Elmidena wrote: »
    Meant to ask, what's the craic with repaving the side of the road beside Supervalu and making its double yellows nice and bright the whole length, and the other side it still craters of the moon? To deter drivers from being allowed to legally park?? If they just wanted to waste their road surfacing budget, there are many, MANY places in town that would benefit from it!

Certain parts of the town need a zero tolerance approach to parking and have instant tow away if you park outside Bank Of Ireland,outside the Credit Union on the roundabout or in the bus stop on the Quay.

Advertisement