Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

kneemos wrote: »

Saw the videos last night - has to be from the storm drains.

Seems there were loads of them about.

https://youtu.be/o2hOLiSBzC0

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Another local shop closing, depressing :(
    Hi Friends, just wanted to let you know that I have decided to close Yellow Rose Btq mid to late July. It’s been a hard decision as I’ve loved every minute of my 4+years. ( in retail for a total of 21 years). .... unfortunately this morning we were met with a flooded shop like some other businesses in town so I’ve had to close for a few days but I will be back open early next week with a clearance sale... I want to first take this opportunity to thank my two work colleagues Gabrielle and Carmel for all they did for me, we’ve had some great times. To all of you who supported me and became not just customers but friends as well, thank you so much. To all my suppliers, I enjoyed dealing with you all. To my close family and friends who I couldn’t do without, thanks a million....
    wishing all businesses the best of luck for the season ahead....so hopefully I’ll see you all next week with the door open again. Come grab a bargain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,093 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Just saw this in Slaney News.

PEDESTRIANISATION AND OTHER UPDATES...

PEDESTRIANISATION: Market Square and adjoining streets and the Templeshannon area around Treacy's Hotel will be pedestrianised from 7pm to 11.30pm every Friday, Saturday and Sunday starting most likely on 29th June. Rafter Steet and Slaney Street will be pedestrianised every day probably from 10.30am. Businesses will be facilitated in having street furniture/stalls outside their premises and acoustic music will be allowed also. This should help generate a family-friendly atmosphere around the town. Enniscorthy Municipal District is currently risk assessing these measures "to ensure that public safety is a priority". Local Gardai will maintain a visible presence during the evenings of pedestrianisation. All these measures should help the local hospitality sector as it emerges from Covid-19 lockdown.

PAINTING SHOPFRONTS SCHEME: A grant of €200 will be available to businesses to paint their shopfronts subject to an overall funding limit. Application forms will be available from Enniscorthy Municipal District offices later this week.

HANGING BASKET / WINDOW BOX SCHEME. Similar to the above scheme but limited to €50 per applicant.

DEEP CLEANING: A deep clean of the town centre will start around 22nd June and will take place over ten evenings.

TEMPLESHANNON RESURFACING: Major resurfacing work will take place in Templeshannon over the next couple of weeks.

TitianGerm wrote: »

PEDESTRIANISATION: Market Square and adjoining streets and the Templeshannon area around Treacy's Hotel will be pedestrianised from 7pm to 11.30pm every Friday, Saturday and Sunday starting most likely on 29th June. Rafter Steet and Slaney Street will be pedestrianised every day probably from 10.30am. Businesses will be facilitated in having street furniture/stalls outside their premises and acoustic music will be allowed also. This should help generate a family-friendly atmosphere around the town. Enniscorthy Municipal District is currently risk assessing these measures "to ensure that public safety is a priority". Local Gardai will maintain a visible presence during the evenings of pedestrianisation. All these measures should help the local hospitality sector as it emerges from Covid-19 lockdown.

PAINTING SHOPFRONTS SCHEME: A grant of €200 will be available to businesses to paint their shopfronts subject to an overall funding limit. Application forms will be available from Enniscorthy Municipal District offices later this week.

HANGING BASKET / WINDOW BOX SCHEME. Similar to the above scheme but limited to €50 per applicant.

DEEP CLEANING: A deep clean of the town centre will start around 22nd June and will take place over ten evenings.

TEMPLESHANNON RESURFACING: Major resurfacing work will take place in Templeshannon over the next couple of weeks.

Finally getting around to resurfacing Templeshannon at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Finally getting around to resurfacing Templeshannon at least.

The whole post bombed out look didn't really catch on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Look forward to seeing these improvements, hopefully they will improve the town!
    The "visible presence" of Gardai is long overdue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

I’ve no doubt people will knock the plan above in regards to pedestrianisation in the evenings but I think it’s an idea worth a shot. Some decent weather and it may be a runner.

At least it’s something different.

• Advertisement

I don't see any issue with pedestrianising in the evenings, I'm not sure why they are bothering with it though! I don't think I've ever walked through the Market Square in the evening and thought "This would be great if it was pedestrianised"!
    Anyone know what the underlying logic is?
    (The above is not knocking it though, I just want to know who/why is calling for it)

I don't see any issue with pedestrianising in the evenings, I'm not sure why they are bothering with it though! I don't think I've ever walked through the Market Square in the evening and thought "This would be great if it was pedestrianised"!
    Anyone know what the underlying logic is?
    (The above is not knocking it though, I just want to know who/why is calling for it)

One problem is people double parking in the evening collecting takeaways and holding up traffic.
    I can see the pubs in the Square being happy with the pedestrianisation as they will find it hard to have social distancing in them due to their size and layout. They were able to do it without issue during the Rocking food festival.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 DaKrimsonBarun

What do Enniscorthy people think of Johnny Mythen as a TD and representative? Anyone had dealings with him?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

Ross Road: safe enough or dodge?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,093 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

BluePlanet wrote: »

For what?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

For what?

To live on I'd say....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

What do Enniscorthy people think of Johnny Mythen as a TD and representative? Anyone had dealings with him?

Interesting first post after three years! Anyway, the people must think he's wonderful didn't they elect him as a TD.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

For what?

for B&E, what do YOU think?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

One problem is people double parking in the evening collecting takeaways and holding up traffic.

And there we are again with people expecting to be able to drive right to the door of where they want to go......!

BluePlanet wrote: »

Ross Road is grand,lot of people living there for decades and a great community spirit on the street.

• Advertisement

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Interesting first post after three years! Anyway, the people must think he's wonderful didn't they elect him as a TD.

Yup, somebody registers in 2017, waits three years, and then puts that one up as a first post.... :confused:

I don't know Mythen myself and never had any dealings with him. All I'll say as an interested observer of politics though is that I really think his numbers show the extent to which so many people were determined to vote Sinn Féin in the last General Election, no matter who the local candidate was.

The numbers are that when Mythen first stood in local elections in 2014, he got over 1,800 votes. But when he stood for re-election in 2019, he got only 800, and lost his seat.

So basically, of all the people who presumably know him best (those in his home town) and who thought he was worth a punt in 2014, more than half of them somehow decided over the course of the next five years that they wouldn't be bothered voting for him again.

But then there's a big a national swing towards SF in the run up to the General Election, and he sweeps in with almost 19,000 votes, more than twice as many as the second-placed candidate (Howlin).

If I remember rightly from the tally figures that I saw, he was picking up a higher percentage of the vote in boxes from places like Wexford and New Ross and rural South Wexford than he was in Enniscorthy. About the only thing these people would have known about him was that he was the SF candidate, and they didn't care about anything else - they just wanted to vote SF.

So overall, and based on the figures (and the figures alone), I'd conclude that many Enniscorthy people don't actually rate him that highly at all, since more than half of those who voted for him in 2014 then thought last year that he wasn't even worth a place on the Council, never mind a place in the Dáil.

@ Uncle Pierre

Apparently he's nice fellow but he doesn't bother himself replying to emails and his only local concern is keeping the '98 Centre open - he was posting on FB tonight.

As for his vote - God help us, SF supporters would have voted for a lamp post if it was standing for SF. I voted for one and she was standing for the Greens. :D

@ Uncle Pierre

Apparently he's nice fellow but he doesn't bother himself replying to emails and his only local concern is keeping the '98 Centre open - he was posting on FB tonight.

As for his vote - God help us, SF supporters would have voted for a lamp post if it was standing for SF. I voted for one and she was standing for the Greens. :D

It's telling that he got a massive amount of votes in Gorey where people wouldn't be familiar with him. People wanted rid of the old guard and D'Arcy set a new unwanted record there by having the shortest reign of any TD.
    Ah sure, we'll probably be back to the polls soon enough as this Mish mash government tears itself apart,if it even gets formed in the first place.

D'Arcy set a new unwanted record there by having the shortest reign of any TD.

It's actually Malcolm Byrne you're thinking of there - elected in the November by-election, lost his seat in the February general election. Was a TD for just 71 days.

Real trivia stuff now, but it's not actually the shortest ever time as a TD. Back in the June'81 general election, a H-Block hunger striker called Kieran Doherty won a seat in Cavan-Monaghan. He then died on strike on August 2, after just 52 days as a TD. And obviously he never actually got to take up his seat. At least Malcolm managed that for a few weeks!

Actually felt sorry for him when he lost out. I'm not a Fianna Fáil person but I've had dealings with him from time to time through organisations I'm involved in, and he's a genuinely helpful and capable sort of fellow. But that's politics for you. I think it's a great "sport" to watch, but I wouldn't want to be involved in it!

Apparently he's nice fellow but he doesn't bother himself replying to emails

Wasn't going to say this first off, but part of the reason I've never dealt with him is that on a couple of occasions in recent years when an organisation I'm involved in sent emails to all councillors in Enniscorthy and Gorey areas about a certain topic, he never replied. So there you go.....

Wasn't going to say this first off, but part of the reason I've never dealt with him is that on a couple of occasions in recent years when an organisation I'm involved in sent emails to all councillors in Enniscorthy and Gorey areas about a certain topic, he never replied. So there you go.....

Does he have a constituency office?

Does he have a constituency office?

That's an interesting point, as he never reopened his office on Castle Hill hastily vacated when he lost his council seat.

Don't know anything about Johnny Mythen and have had no dealings with him. I would however say that in 20 years, Paul Kehoe has done nothing for the town and James Browne even less.
    John Browne did little more - the last TD to really do anything for Enniscorthy is still Ivan Yates, even if his key achievements were probably starting the Tour De France and bringing the Dept of Ag to the town. I presume he was also influential in bringing the ploughing championships to the town although I might have the years wrong

Don't know anything about Johnny Mythen and have had no dealings with him. I would however say that in 20 years, Paul Kehoe has done nothing for the town and James Browne even less.
    John Browne did little more - the last TD to really do anything for Enniscorthy is still Ivan Yates, even if his key achievements were probably starting the Tour De France and bringing the Dept of Ag to the town. I presume he was also influential in bringing the ploughing championships to the town although I might have the years wrong

People say that parish pump politics shouldn't be something a TD gets involved in but look at how the horse racing set in Kildare benefitted massively from it,Ross gave massive grants to sports in his constituency even though they didn't need it. The Healy Raes in Kerry are proud of looking after their people.

Believe it or not Paul Kehoe has been pushing and pushing for the flood defences in Enniscorthy for years but the green lobby held it up at every turn,weeds in the river are more important than homes and businesses. The same weeds that survived centuries of the river bed being dredged for gravel.

• Advertisement

I agree, F it there is no point in our TD's not looking after the towns they live in and lets face it none of them are capable enough to sort out any national matters.
    Parish pump politics is just how our politics works and if we got a better town out of it, who cares?
    While I don't doubt PK has been fighting for things for the town, I doubt he is good enough or a strong enough TD to push these things through. Unfortunately.

Advertisement