Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Don't know anything about Johnny Mythen and have had no dealings with him. I would however say that in 20 years, Paul Kehoe has done nothing for the town and James Browne even less.
    John Browne did little more - the last TD to really do anything for Enniscorthy is still Ivan Yates, even if his key achievements were probably starting the Tour De France and bringing the Dept of Ag to the town. I presume he was also influential in bringing the ploughing championships to the town although I might have the years wrong

Am I missing something, Ivan Yates got the Tour de France started here and brought the Dept.of Agriculture to the town - that really put the town on the map and where is the Dept.of Agriculture premises?

James Browne is the only TD worth a tuppenny damn and he is only a TD since 2016 - in opposition at that. I would have great time for him alas as he's in a mainstream party I cannot bring myself to vote for him.

As for Paul Kehoe pushing for the flood defences, that's not something I'd want as an epitaph - it's going to destroy the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Am I missing something, Ivan Yates got the Tour de France started here and brought the Dept.of Agriculture to the town - that really put the town on the map and where is the Dept.of Agriculture premises?

James Browne is the only TD worth a tuppenny damn and he is only a TD since 2016 - in opposition at that. I would have great time for him alas as he's in a mainstream party I cannot bring myself to vote for him.

As for Paul Kehoe pushing for the flood defences, that's not something I'd want as an epitaph - it's going to destroy the place.

Dept of Agriculture is up behind Slaney View Park.

Regards to the flood defences,as I said,for hundreds of years the river was dredged for gravel but now the river bed is many feet higher than it ever was. Managed properly and it'll be okay. The tenders are in now for the scheme and the building of a new bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

I honestly don't understand why some are opposed to the flood relief scheme. What would be wrong with this? -
    https://youtu.be/Tbad6Vpm3Xo?t=90

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I honestly don't understand why some are opposed to the flood relief scheme. What would be wrong with this? -
    https://youtu.be/Tbad6Vpm3Xo?t=90

Funding has been delayed for another year apparently.
    Should definitely trial dredging and digging the banks before they go all out on demolishing half the town.

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/enniscorthyguardian/news/a-wave-of-disappointment-as-towns-flood-scheme-is-delayed-39232891.html

Bringing the Wexford road traffic past the CBS and the Abbey Square is a crazy idea, it's still a reasonably busy road.
    Should build a proper bridge beside the current one.

So is any continued opposition based mainly on the view that they should just dredge the river instead of building all this new stuff?

I thought that one was put to bed years ago -
    https://www.independent.ie/regionals/newrossstandard/news/not-as-simple-as-just-dredging-the-slaney-34397089.html

Also addressed here, along with an explanation of why a "proper" bridge beside or in place of the Seamus Rafter bridge is not possible -
    http://enniscorthyfds.ie/index.php/frequently-asked-questions-2/

• Advertisement

Dept of Agriculture is up behind Slaney View Park.

Regards to the flood defences,as I said,for hundreds of years the river was dredged for gravel but now the river bed is many feet higher than it ever was. Managed properly and it'll be okay. The tenders are in now for the scheme and the building of a new bridge.

I still am intrigued about the Dept.of Agriculture - how many are employed there? A rough figure. :)

So is any continued opposition based mainly on the view that they should just dredge the river instead of building all this new stuff?

I thought that one was put to bed years ago -
    https://www.independent.ie/regionals/newrossstandard/news/not-as-simple-as-just-dredging-the-slaney-34397089.html

Also addressed here, along with an explanation of why a "proper" bridge beside or in place of the Seamus Rafter bridge is not possible -
    http://enniscorthyfds.ie/index.php/frequently-asked-questions-2/

Never heard of an arch bridge obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,056 ✭✭✭CoBo55

I still am intrigued about the Dept.of Agriculture - how many are employed there? A rough figure. :)

I thought it was closed, it certainly could do with a major clean up. Just up the road from there Dalton supplies were making animal tags, Ivan became minister for agriculture and promptly awarded the contract for the mandatory cattle tags scheme to Mullinahone Co-Op in Tipperary who’s manufacturing plant was in France... end of Daltons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

CoBo55 wrote: »
    I thought it was closed, it certainly could do with a major clean up. Just up the road from there Dalton supplies were making animal tags, Ivan became minister for agriculture and promptly awarded the contract for the mandatory cattle tags scheme to Mullinahone Co-Op in Tipperary who’s manufacturing plant was in France... end of Daltons.

I didn't know it was closed I admit. But he brought the other office to Johnstown Castle which is still probably more than any TD since! Maybe except Coca Coala.
    I know and knew nothing about Dalton's, but I presume it was a competitive tender? Can't blame him for that hardly!

I didn't know it was closed I admit. But he brought the other office to Johnstown Castle which is still probably more than any TD since! Maybe except Coca Coala.
    I know and knew nothing about Dalton's, but I presume it was a competitive tender? Can't blame him for that hardly!

So basically he achieved little or nothing - the reference to the Department of Agriculture coming to Enniscorthy is just nonsense - you would swear it had relocated the entire Department (3,000+ employees) to Enniscorthy. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

So basically he achieved little or nothing - the reference to the Department of Agriculture coming to Enniscorthy is just nonsense - you would swear it had relocated the entire Department (3,000+ employees) to Enniscorthy. :rolleyes:

Well I don't know how many people work/worked there. What has anybody else done since?
    I am sure the town did well out of holding the Fleadh 2 years in a row as well as having the Tour De France starting there, Ploughing Championships, it is still more than any TD since has done, even if they are just a few one-off events I am sure they brought more money and prominence to the town than anything that has happened since!
    Or why don't you list off the litany of achievements by other TD's?

Well I don't know how many people work/worked there. What has anybody else done since?
    I am sure the town did well out of holding the Fleadh 2 years in a row as well as having the Tour De France starting there, Ploughing Championships, it is still more than any TD since has done, even if they are just a few one-off events I am sure they brought more money and prominence to the town than anything that has happened since!
    Or why don't you list off the litany of achievements by other TD's?

I can't as I don't see any but I'm interested to know what others think.

I can't as I don't see any but I'm interested to know what others think.

Well if you are just going to pick holes and moan at what people off the top of their head suggest TD's might have done in the past, I wouldn't expect too many replies.

Well if you are just going to pick holes and moan at what people off the top of their head suggest TD's might have done in the past, I wouldn't expect too many replies.

It's called discussion i.e. what Boards is supposed to be about.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭E30M3

This Office is very much open and provides approx 50 full time jobs between DAFM and Garda Vetting which is also carried out there.

DAFM office in Johnstown Castle Estate supports over 300 Jobs in the Country.

Neither of these projects would be in the County if Ivan Yates had not been Minister for Agriculture.

Two concrete examples

kneemos wrote: »
    Never heard of an arch bridge obviously.

Oh, I'd say they've heard of them all right. The people involved are properly qualified professional engineers, after all. I'd daresay they weighed up all the options and considered them all before arriving at the conclusions they did. All those deliberations are probably documented in detail and available under Freedom of Information if you wanted to go that route.

Or you could just contact them to ask more:
    http://enniscorthyfds.ie/index.php/contact-us/

Anyway, seems like opponents of the scheme are very much in a minority, since all the recent focus is about trying to speed up the process of getting money allocated and allowing work to begin.

So if you really do have information that dredging and/or an arch bridge are viable alternative solutions, you'd better hurry.....

It's called discussion i.e. what Boards is supposed to be about.

Ah, but there are all sorts of discussion.

There’s constructive exchange of views, which in fairness is what we do most of the time around here.

Then there’s debating and even arguing, which can be useful and even enjoyable too, in the right circumstances.

Then there’s moaning without actually offering anything constructive. Am not interested in that sort of “discussion” myself.

Look, it’s unlikely that anybody here is going to bang much of a drum for Ivan Yates or any other TD, past or present. So far as I can tell, nobody here has any affiliation with any of them (apart from maybe that mystery poster who waited three years before posting anything. Wouldn’t surprise me if he or she is somehow connected to Mythen).

If you really want to know what Paul Kehoe or James Browne or anybody else claims to have done for Enniscorthy, you could contact their constituency office. People there might “discuss” it with you all right.

E30M3 wrote: »
    This Office is very much open and provides approx 50 full time jobs between DAFM and Garda Vetting which is also carried out there.

DAFM office in Johnstown Castle Estate supports over 300 Jobs in the Country.

Neither of these projects would be in the County if Ivan Yates had not been Minister for Agriculture.

Two concrete examples

Getting very interesting here all the same, when one person puts up their first post (three years after registering!) to canvass opinion on Johnny Mythen, then somebody else registers just to point out something Ivan Yates did about 25 years ago..... :confused:

Oh, I'd say they've heard of them all right. The people involved are properly qualified professional engineers, after all. I'd daresay they weighed up all the options and considered them all before arriving at the conclusions they did. All those deliberations are probably documented in detail and available under Freedom of Information if you wanted to go that route.

Or you could just contact them to ask more:
    http://enniscorthyfds.ie/index.php/contact-us/

Anyway, seems like opponents of the scheme are very much in a minority, since all the recent focus is about trying to speed up the process of getting money allocated and allowing work to begin.

So if you really do have information that dredging and/or an arch bridge are viable alternative solutions, you'd better hurry.....

I'd wonder if dredging is of no use why are they doing it?
    As for the bridge there's an excellent example a hundred metres away.

Getting very interesting here all the same, when one person puts up their first post (three years after registering!) to canvass opinion on Johnny Mythen, then somebody else registers just to point out something Ivan Yates did about 25 years ago..... :confused:

You are wrong. I didn't register to post this. Even if I had I was clarifying points made earlier not introducing achievements. Are you disputing these facts? Those jobs are real and there today.

I have no agenda and merely clarified points queried earlier.

• Advertisement

I dunno, boss. I'm not an engineer. I'm just a guy who's able to read and understand English well enough to see in that piece that I linked to that the project engineer says that dredging alone won't solve the problem. So while they'll do what they can with dredging, they've concluded they need these other works too.

I can't answer you about the bridge either. Again, I'm not an engineer.

If you really do feel that these are valid points, and if you have info that you believe hasn't been properly considered to date, then you really would be better off contacting the project team themselves. No point asking me about it!

E30M3 wrote: »
    You are wrong. I didn't register to post this. Even if I had I was clarifying points made earlier not introducing achievements. Are you disputing these facts? Those jobs are real and there today.

I have no agenda and merely clarified points queried earlier.

I'm not disputing any facts at all. Was saying it looked curious that hot on the heels of a first post from somebody who actually registered three years ago came another first post from somebody who had just registered now.

If the Johnny Mythen question had come from a regular poster instead, I probably wouldn't even have noticed that you're a new one too.

Welcome aboard Boards anyway!

I'm not disputing any facts at all. Was saying it looked curious that hot on the heels of a first post from somebody who actually registered three years ago came another first post from somebody who had just registered now.

If the Johnny Mythen question had come from a regular poster instead, I probably wouldn't even have noticed that you're a new one too.

Welcome aboard Boards anyway!

Thanks for the welcome and the clarification. It was a coincidence that this was my first post. I have first hand knowledge of both these buildings and therefore tried to outline the current position in response to a question posed here.

I've an old photo of the river along the quay. It's wider than it is now. There's no grass bank along the west side (by Burgermacs) also no big gravel bank along the other side. It's appearance coincided with the last time the main drainage scheme was done.

I've an old photo of the river along the quay. It's wider than it is now. There's no grass bank along the west side (by Burgermacs) also no big gravel bank along the other side. It's appearance coincided with the last time the main drainage scheme was done.

It's extremely shallow from above the island to below the Riverside. Dredging between the bridges is futile.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭paulaa

It's extremely shallow from above the island to below the Riverside. Dredging between the bridges is futile.

Dredging was used for decades and worked perfectly to keep the river in check. Floods were rare and afaik the dredging was paid for by a deal with Roadstone whereby they got the gravel from the riverbed and the town was saved from floods.

Is this proposed exercise going to take even more character from the town?

Again, I dunno folks. Maybe these are valid concerns. But you won't get answers to them here. So if nobody else wants to do it, I'll mail the project team myself using those contact details, to ask for further explanation about why dredging by itself apparently won't work, or why it's not feasible to build a new bridge where the Rafter bridge is. Will post up the reply here if or when I get one.

Again, I dunno folks. Maybe these are valid concerns. But you won't get answers to them here. So if nobody else wants to do it, I'll mail the project team myself using those contact details, to ask for further explanation about why dredging by itself apparently won't work, or why it's not feasible to build a new bridge where the Rafter bridge is. Will post up the reply here if or when I get one.

You're wasting your time, I had it out with an engineer on the project at one off the public info sessions and got nowhere. You can't argue with experts - especially engineers who love sexy projects, not dredging gravel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

I'm assuming the fact that the slaney is protected as a Natura 2000 site under European legislation has a significant say on what can and can't be done

• Advertisement

McLoughlin wrote: »
    I'm assuming the fact that the slaney is protected as a Natura 2000 site under European legislation has a significant say on what can and can't be done

I alluded to that already,the dredging never affected the flora and fauna before. Nothing really grows between the bridges bar standard river weed and below that you are more likely to find rubbish than any plant life.

Advertisement