Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Japanese Knotweed is becoming the predominant species.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

kneemos wrote: »

Is there much along there? Haven't seen any but plenty of Himalayan Balsam. People get them mixed up as the leaves look similar.

Is there much along there? Haven't seen any but plenty of Himalayan Balsam. People get them mixed up as the leaves look similar.

There's acres of the stuff along the bank on the road side from the town to Edermine. Look over the ditch anywhere along the Wexford road you'll see loads of it. It's on both sides of the road as well,they made a few attempts at killing it here and there along the road,but it sprouts back. Fair bit down along the Prom as well.

There's acres of the stuff along the bank on the road side from the town to Edermine. Look over the ditch anywhere along the Wexford road you'll see loads of it. It's on both sides of the road as well,they made a few attempts at killing it here and there along the road,but it sprouts back. Fair bit down along the Prom as well.

It could be the Himalayan stuff,taking over whatever it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

Del.Monte wrote: »
    You're wasting your time, I had it out with an engineer on the project at one off the public info sessions and got nowhere. You can't argue with experts - especially engineers who love sexy projects, not dredging gravel.

Well, I was just going to ask for an explanation, not an argument. But if at least one person here remains unhappy with what I'm sure was a fairly detailed explanation he once got from an engineer involved, then you're right - I'd only be wasting my time in delivering an explanation here.

I'm still wondering what exactly are people objecting to? I think the new stone walls with glass panels could look quite well. Don't see the problem either in the new bridge being a couple of hundred yards downstream, especially when much of the traffic bypasses the town these days anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

I presume you all went to the public consultations, etc that were held at the time? What did they say to you then?

Somebody wants to put an Eileen Gray exhibition in the 1798 centre apparently.

https://www.southeastradio.ie/2020/06/over-2500-sign-petition-to-stop-sale-of-1798-centre-in-enniscorthy/

Meanwhile: National 1798 Centre Should Remain Open | WexfordToday.com @MIUI| https://wexfordtoday.com/2020/06/22/national-1798-centre-should-remain-open/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Somebody wants to put an Eileen Gray exhibition in the 1798 centre apparently.

https://www.southeastradio.ie/2020/06/over-2500-sign-petition-to-stop-sale-of-1798-centre-in-enniscorthy/

Meanwhile: National 1798 Centre Should Remain Open | WexfordToday.com @MIUI| https://wexfordtoday.com/2020/06/22/national-1798-centre-should-remain-open/

With the clout of Johnny Mythen and James Browne behind it, anything is possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

I would have thought cans and plastic bottles would be right up there too.

I presume you all went to the public consultations, etc that were held at the time? What did they say to you then?

Well, seems one contributor here attended a consultation anyway, and "had it out" with an engineer because he (contributor) knew best, but professional fully-qualified engineer (who presumably had studied all aspects of things over a long period of time and been involved in drawing up detailed conclusions) just wanted a "sexy" project to work on.

Don't know how anybody else fared at consultations. Would be interested to find out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Crikey... Danny Byrne moving on, he'd been working on Church Street for as long as my memory serves.

A tinge of personal sadness, teen memories galore of Danny and the brother "Doc" in the original shop (across the road) back in the late 80s when barbering options in the town were limited (Harry Ringwood is the only other barber I can remember back then).

dannys.jpg

Well, seems one contributor here attended a consultation anyway, and "had it out" with an engineer because he (contributor) knew best, but professional fully-qualified engineer (who presumably had studied all aspects of things over a long period of time and been involved in drawing up detailed conclusions) just wanted a "sexy" project to work on.

Don't know how anybody else fared at consultations. Would be interested to find out.

You read what you want to read rather than what was written - where in any of my posts did I say that I new better? Just because somebody's an engineer doesn't mean that they know better - they may know more about engineering than I do (that wouldn't be hard) but I have to live in the town when they have finished mucking it up. You may feel the need to tug a forelock to those you perceive to be your betters, I do not.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,056 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Love this thread...

Better than an Aidan Doyles bust up any day!!!

I don't normally do this splitting up quotes thing to answer different points, but here goes...
    You read what you want to read rather than what was written - where in any of my posts did I say that I new better?
    Granted, you didn't use those exact words. But unless you assign different meaning than I do to the term "had it out with", I'm taking it that you had a detailed and possibly somewhat heated conversation with an engineer, where you tried to convince him/her that their way would be wrong, and your way would be preferable - i.e. that you knew better. If the discussion went a different way, I'd love to know more about it.

Just because somebody's an engineer doesn't mean that they know better -
    Well, they probably know more about engineering....
    they may know more about engineering than I do (that wouldn't be hard)
    Ah. They do. :)
    but I have to live in the town when they have finished mucking it up.
    Neither you nor anybody else has yet explained why you feel the Flood Defence Scheme, as proposed, would "muck it up". What's wrong in essence with erecting what look like attractive stone walls and glass panels, and moving the bridge a few hundred yards downstream? I'm genuinely curious to know.
    You may feel the need to tug a forelock to those you perceive to be your betters, I do not.
    Quite a colourful phrase. :D Personally, I wouldn't see it as tugging a forelock. I'd see it as being willing to accept the advice and views of professionals in matters that I know little or nothing about myself.

I know little or nothing about cars, so if my mechanic (who's a neighbour who I trust) says he needs to do A, B and C when I go to him with a problem, I won't argue the point unless I have very good evidence to the contrary.

I know little or nothing about dentistry, so if I go in with a toothache and expecting to maybe need a filling, only for the dentist to say I need an extraction or even root canal work instead (as has happened in the not-too-distant past), I'm not going to argue the point with him either.

I know little or nothing about civil and structural engineering and flood relief works, so if a dedicated team of engineers studies an issue over a number of years and draws up a series of recommendations culminating in something like the proposed Enniscorthy Flood Relief Scheme, I'm not going to argue with them either, unless I have very good evidence to the contrary.

Specifically, I'm not going to "have it out" with somebody if I have a simple feeling or unfounded opinion that just scraping stones off the riverbed would work better, particularly when the engineering team show that they've considered dredging all right; that there's a place for it in the scheme, but that dredging alone won't solve all the problems; and give a detailed explanation why.

To my mind, anybody who still insists "they should just dredge the river" even after having that detailed discussion with the engineering team really must think that they know better than the engineers. But again, maybe you see things differently.

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Love this thread...

Better than an Aidan Doyles bust up any day!!!

Yeah. Can be a bit of craic all right! :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭paulaa

Maybe we could get back to the thread and talk about Enniscorthy instead of the bitchy oneupmanship that it has descended to. That applies to the cheerleaders too !!!

A few questions I have about the flood defenses, are the plastic/perspex panels removable, are they blue irl and will there be access to the riverbank for fishermen ?

Yup, that's fine with me anyway. I just remain genuinely curious as to why some people are opposed to a long thought-out multi-million euro investment to protect the town from future flooding. Nobody's actually answered that yet.

Closest thing to answers are people claiming they should just dredge the river instead (despite how the experts say that dredging by itself won't work), and that moving the bridge so far downstream is madness (without saying why).

As for access for fishermen, Q4 here says access will be provided all right:
    http://enniscorthyfds.ie/index.php/frequently-asked-questions-2/

Can't answer the other questions. All I really know about the whole thing is what's contained in that site and local media reports. I'm not a cheerleader for the whole thing!

Yup, that's fine with me anyway. I just remain genuinely curious as to why some people are opposed to a long thought-out multi-million euro investment to protect the town from future flooding. Nobody's actually answered that yet.

Closest thing to answers are people claiming they should just dredge the river instead (despite how the experts say that dredging by itself won't work), and that moving the bridge so far downstream is madness (without saying why).

As for access for fishermen, Q4 here says access will be provided all right:
    http://enniscorthyfds.ie/index.php/frequently-asked-questions-2/

Can't answer the other questions. All I really know about the whole thing is what's contained in that site and local media reports. I'm not a cheerleader for the whole thing!

Do you think that existing Seamus Rafter bridge was designed by "experts" or on the back of a cigarette packet. You're so interested in this topic but yet you didn't manage to visit any of the open days?

I'll wager that the bridge wasn't designed on the back of a cigarette packet anyway. How much do you want to bet?

I didn't go to any of the open days because I didn't feel a need to. I've no objection myself to the plans, and I felt I'd already learned enough about them from material that was already in the public domain.

What I haven't yet learned about is why some people continue to object to them. If you or others like you wanted to hold an open day about that, I'd attend that one all right. Do you want to fix a time and place? Seamus Rafter Bridge at high noon tomorrow? You can stand at one side, and I'll socially distance at the other?

Or do you or somebody else want to finally answer the question here?

• Advertisement

Probably shows how little I'm actually in the town these days! Where I live is slightly closer to Gorey, and I work in Wexford (when I'm able to go there instead of working from home), so I tend to do things in one of those towns rather than Enniscorthy.

I can only imagine that your view and opinion is a lot less emotionally invested than people actively living in the town.

BTW. That's not to say you don't have an emotional attachment, i just suspect that it might be less given your statement above.

With regard to the flood defense, there's certainly a case for ruling with the head and ruling with the heart (that's me saying you're both right so get over it :D)

I'll wager that the bridge wasn't designed on the back of a cigarette packet anyway. How much do you want to bet?

I didn't go to any of the open days because I didn't feel a need to. I've no objection myself to the plans, and I felt I'd already learned enough about them from material that was already in the public domain.

What I haven't yet learned about is why some people continue to object to them. If you or others like you wanted to hold an open day about that, I'd attend that one all right. Do you want to fix a time and place? Seamus Rafter Bridge at high noon tomorrow? You can stand at one side, and I'll socially distance at the other?

Or do you or somebody else want to finally answer the question here?

Whether deliberately or otherwise you have missed my point - the Seamus Rafter bridge was designed by "experts" - you know, the people you doff your cap to. :rolleyes:

jpb1974 wrote: »
    I can only imagine that your view and opinion is a lot less emotionally invested than people actively living in the town.

BTW. That's not to say you don't have an emotional attachment, i just suspect that it might be less given your statement above.

With regard to the flood defense, there's certainly a case for ruling with the head and ruling with the heart (that's me saying you're both right so get over it :D)

Yup. I'm not from the town, and I don't live there. But I grew up within five miles of it, went to school there, got a job there after college and rented a flat there, played soccer with a club there, continued to live there for a while after being transferred to Wexford with my job, met my wife there (although she's not actually from the town either!), had our wedding reception there, still live not too far from it, and still have a big and genuine interest in the welfare and future of a town that's been a big part of my life.

I've an elderly aunt who lives on Island Road who's all in favour of the works going ahead, and I know business people with premises that have been affected in the past who are all in favour of it too.

But you're right - bottom line is that it doesn't directly affect me one way or the other, and people living in the town may feel more emotionally involved.

That's to be expected and understood. But the thing I don't understand is why some are still objecting to it.

Do they just think the new walls will be unsightly? Are there genuine concerns over traffic flow at a new bridge further downstream, that I'm not thinking of? Or is something else? Just asking. Might not get an answer!

P.S. - I was actually born in Enniscorthy too. Dr Cuddingham's Nursing Home, back in the early 70s. Now long gone, but apparently a popular delivery spot back then, when the journey to Wexford Hospital was a much tougher trek than it is today.

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Whether deliberately or otherwise you have missed my point - the Seamus Rafter bridge was designed by "experts" - you know, the people you doff your cap to. :rolleyes:

Yes, seems a strange lack of foresight all right. But I don't think the current engineering team is the same as the one back then, and I'd like to think that the current team have learned from the mistakes of the past.

By the way, if I was missing the point, you're still avoiding the question. ;)

That's to be expected and understood. But the thing I don't understand is why some are still objecting to it.

Do they just think the new walls will be unsightly? Are there genuine concerns over traffic flow at a new bridge further downstream, that I'm not thinking of? Or is something else? Just asking. Might not get an answer!

In my opinion, I think it will ruin the general aesthetics of the area.

There will likely be little or no maintenance plan in terms of general upkeep (I would assume there will have to be something in terms of operational maintenance). I don't know this for a fact but, in general, an awful lot of things in Enniscorthy fall into the category of general neglect.

I look at initiatives like The Prom foot bridge and how dirty and poorly kept it has become (they won't even replace the rotting laths). When I hear glass, I think of the state of the glass on the enclosures in Dublin Zoo as an example... scratched, slightly fogged, generally unpleasant. I won't claim to know the height on the walls, but from what I can recall they will be considerable in parts. I take the computer generated demo video with a pinch of salt, it doesn't convey the eventual dirt, decay and disrepair in any way shape or form.

Whilst it may do its job the couple of times of year it is called into action, I think it will eventually end up an eyesore for the other 350+ days a year.

But, like yourself, I remain somewhat unaffected in that my home or business premise is not at risk, and I now live on the outskirts of the town, so I'm not hugely emotionally invested. So, my view regarding aesthetics doesn't take into account those that have to deal with the floods every year.

Sincere thanks for the detailed and perfectly reasonable response.

I'd consider it 100% valid to have concerns over the long-term maintenance of the new features, or fears that they might eventually become eyesores no matter how good they look initially.

If only somebody else had said that in the first place, it would have saved some of us a lot of trouble around here.....

Sincere thanks for the detailed and perfectly reasonable response.

I'd consider it 100% valid to have concerns over the long-term maintenance of the new features, or fears that they might eventually become eyesores no matter how good they look initially.

If only somebody else had said that in the first place, it would have saved some of us a lot of trouble around here.....

FFS do you want a detailed breakdown of the scheme: there will be horrible new walls, glass which will be cleaned once and then forgotten about, masses of traffic shoved into the town through Mill Park Road - and onto to the roundabout at Abbey Square. The new road bridge will bring the noise of traffic into the peaceful walk that is the Promenade.

As I've said before, it would be cheaper and less damaging to the town to CPO houses/businesses on the Island Road and demolish them them and the same on the Shannon Quay than let this scheme go-ahead. Alternatively a fraction of the amount could be spent on protecting premises on the Shannon Quay and still demolish the Island Road premises.

And sincere thanks to you too. :)

You've now set out your reasons for your objections, which is all I was wondering about in the first place.

Thank you for also putting forward a suggested alternative.

For what it's worth, I'd suspect there'd be a lot more opposition to CPO-ing and demolishing large numbers of premises along either or both sides of the river. And I'd have my doubts that it would be cheaper too. But remember I'm not an engineer. ;)

Thanks again. Have a nice day!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

What was known as "The Big Flood" in 1965.

• Advertisement

McCauleys announced on Facebook that they don't plan to re-open their beauty salons. Judging on a response in the comments, from a girl that I know who works there, they didn't inform the staff in advance... they found out via Facebook

Advertisement