Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭paulaa

jpb1974 wrote: »
    McCauleys announced on Facebook that they don't plan to re-open their beauty salons. Judging on a response in the comments, from a girl that I know who works there, they didn't inform the staff in advance... they found out via Facebook

Was that done by McCauley's or the company who bought all the shops I wonder.

What was known as "The Big Flood" in 1965.

I remember that and the civil defence taking people out of their upstairs windows in the Island road in boats
    Buttles "Barley fed bacon" lost a lot of pigs in that flood too. They were washed out of the yard they were kept in at Templeshannon and drowned.

from Facebook

Enniscorthy Guardian
    4 hrs ·
    Breaking News: Senior figures in Wexford County Council have said the proposed sale of the 1798 Centre in Enniscorthy will now not go ahead as planned. Full details will be published in Tuesday's print and ePaper editions of the Enniscorthy Guardian

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

paulaa wrote: »
    Was that done by McCauley's or the company who bought all the shops I wonder.

the company that owns Mccauleys is McCauleys now - I imagine it was the senior management of the company at the direction of Board

is it a temporary thing or a forever thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

the company that owns Mccauleys is McCauleys now - I imagine it was the senior management of the company at the direction of Board

is it a temporary thing or a forever thing?

A forever thing.

https://www.mccauley.ie/beauty-by-mccauley

• Advertisement

Are you sure about that ?

https://sammccauleychemist.wordpress.com/2017/05/18/carlyle-cardinal-ireland-invests-in-sam-mccauley-chemists-limited/

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

from Facebook

Enniscorthy Guardian
    4 hrs ·
    Breaking News: Senior figures in Wexford County Council have said the proposed sale of the 1798 Centre in Enniscorthy will now not go ahead as planned. Full details will be published in Tuesday's print and ePaper editions of the Enniscorthy Guardian

The Irish Times said a petition of 6000 signatures presented to the council changed their minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

The Irish Times said a petition of 6000 signatures presented to the council changed their minds.

All well and good and worthy,but it doesn't make enough to pay the electricity bill apparently.

Is it really worthwhile having it open for the odd school tour and visitor in the summer and closed the rest of the year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Its a bloody joke the 1798 centre isn't fit for purpose so it has to sold and moved to new location like the last proposal in the CPO the castle nite club and connecting the two sites beside it and developing a 1798 1916 multi site trail. So people rather the centre stay where it is is to fall apart rather than sell it close it replace it somewhere new ? Reminds me of the old job interview joke in Enniscorthy never suggest something new and modern that doesn't go down well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

That's the story as regards ownership of the company, all right. Same press release was published either verbatim or slightly re-written in several other places.

To be honest, I'm wondering more about how or why somebody was doing a Wordpress blog site about McCauley's, and even how you found it in the first place. It's definitely not the official company website!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

McLoughlin wrote: »
    Its a bloody joke the 1798 centre isn't fit for purpose so it has to sold and moved to new location like the last proposal in the CPO the castle nite club and connecting the two sites beside it and developing a 1798 1916 multi site trail. So people rather the centre stay where it is is to fall apart rather than sell it close it replace it somewhere new ? Reminds me of the old job interview joke in Enniscorthy never suggest something new and modern that doesn't go down well.

That the '98 Centre is in the wrong location is a given but if it were sold the contents would be fecked into storage like all the donated material formerly housed in the Castle Museum. The lad that owns the Castle Venue has no intention of selling it to anybody and it will left to the eventual inheritors of his estate to sort out. So don't hold your breath.

Whatever about closing or not closing or moving or maintaining the 1798 Centre, I had to wonder at somebody's plans to make into an Eileen Gray centre instead. Surely furniture design and modernist architecture are fairly minority interests, to say the least.

And while she may be a leading figure in those fields and be fairly well known around Enniscorthy in terms of name recognition, I'd say the vast majority of people in the rest of Ireland have never heard of her. So what sort of visitor numbers could a dedicated Eileen Gray centre realistically expect to attract?

Del.Monte wrote: »
    That the '98 Centre is in the wrong location is a given but if it were sold the contents would be fecked into storage like all the donated material formerly housed in the Castle Museum. The lad that owns the Castle Venue has no intention of selling it to anybody and it will left to the eventual inheritors of his estate to sort out. So don't hold your breath.

Always wondered myself why they weren't able to find a way to build the 1798 Centre somewhere up around Vinegar Hill itself. Granted, you wouldn't walk to it from the town centre, but put a good car park and a couple of bicycle lanes there and that shouldn't be a problem. Anyone interested enough in '98 to want to go to the visitor centre would probably want to go to the battle site itself anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Being honest, I can't say it has ever come onto my "What am I going to do today" list. I might when it re-opens.

Being honest, I can't say it has ever come onto my "What am I going to do today" list. I might when it re-opens.

Prior to its closure it was a popular tearoom for council staff and there's some nice fish to look at in the pond near the entrance.

Another fiasco recently mentioned in the thread is the Flood Defence Scheme and associated new bridge. The attached map of the new bridge shows how the clever 'expert' engineers are going to funnel all the remaining traffic coming off the Wexford road onto St.John's Road and Millpark Road. This will make an already busy road a horrible place to live plus it will turn the roundabout at Abbey Square into a nightmare for pedestrians and traffic alike. The traffic will then turn left at the bottom of Abbey Square and resume its previous route. All that expense, despoliation and traffic chaos to get traffic to where it already is.

http://enniscorthyfds.ie/wp-content-uploads/2019/05/EFDS-ROD-SBR-RSB-SK-CB-50020.pdf

Ah, those pesky "experts". :D

Guess it all goes back to whether or not you choose to believe their conclusions that it's not feasible to build a new bridge around the location of the Rafter bridge. As outlined previously, I certainly don't feel qualified enough to argue the point with them on that one. Maybe others do.

The occasional serious flooding by the Slaney should be seen in the global context and the way that rising sea levels will inevitably mean that certain coastal areas will have to be abandoned i.e the poor quality housing etc. on the Island Road should be sacrificed and the occupants well compensated.

The business owners on the Shannon Quay should be dealt with in a similar fashion or offered strictly supervised grants to protect their premises from the occasional flood.

Not sexy but less damaging to the town and dare I say it considerably cheaper.

That's the story as regards ownership of the company, all right. Same press release was published either verbatim or slightly re-written in several other places.

To be honest, I'm wondering more about how or why somebody was doing a Wordpress blog site about McCauley's, and even how you found it in the first place. It's definitely not the official company website!

Simple I did a quick search for "Who bought the McCauley chain". I got a lot of links to news articles about it and used the first one. It was in a lot of the newspaper's business pages. I'm surprised no one here seemed to know about it. It wasn't exactly a secret to anyone interested in business.

https://www.google.com/search?client=avg&q=who+bought+the+McCauley+chain

The reason it fell apart was poor management. Exhibitions were left to rot and didn't work. It was rarely advertised and on another site people from Canada, Australia and several other countries who came to visit Enniscorthy didn't even know it existed.

Personally I think there should be a visitor's centre near Vinegar Hill. That, combined with the Castle , Oulart Hill etc would make a nice tour for expats and people interest in history.

One problem is several of the artifacts in the Castle "disappeared" when they were moved to the old Country Hall while the castle was being refurbished. Many of them were donated to the museum, including a Pennyfarthing bicycle. When asked if it was still in storage by the donor no one could find it.

• Advertisement

Oh I have heard that story about the 'disappeared" items allegedly the council were sued by someone or some legal action was taken plus the council also have heard similar issues from the Yola farmstead and Gullimot. Its one of the reasons the council dislike the thought of a museum and potential insurance liability placing items on display especially publicly loaned items

Simple I did a quick search for "Who bought the McCauley chain". I got a lot of links to news articles about it and used the first one. It was in a lot of the newspaper's business pages. I'm surprised no one here seemed to know about it. It wasn't exactly a secret to anyone interested in business.

https://www.google.com/search?client=avg&q=who+bought+the+McCauley+chain

Oh, I agree that it was widely reported, and I said that earlier. I was just curious over how there's a Wordpress blog site for Sam McCauley's, and how you happened to find it. For what it's worth, it doesn't even show up in the results page link that you give here, but obviously you found it somewhere with whatever search terms you used initially.

It's an odd-looking thing that somebody seems to have maintained up to the end of 2018, despite how the blog on their official website goes all the way back to 2011 -
    https://mccauleypharmacyblog.com/page/85/

Odd too that it's still live online, considering how McCauleys put quite an emphasis these days on their online presence and digital marketing. One of the reasons they gave for moving their HQ out of Wexford was a claim that there wasn't sufficient expertise in the area for that sort of thing.

But anyway, this is all "by the way" stuff, and nothing to do with company ownership or beauty salons or anything like that. Just curious about it because I used to be heavily involved in that sort of thing myself, and still am to a certain degree.

Oh I have heard that story about the 'disappeared" items allegedly the council were sued by someone or some legal action was taken plus the council also have heard similar issues from the Yola farmstead and Gullimot. Its one of the reasons the council dislike the thought of a museum and potential insurance liability placing items on display especially publicly loaned items

I didn't hear of the other places or the legal action but I can never understand how other towns can have their museums, historical sites etc without all the difficulties Enniscorthy seem to encounter in everything . Is it lack of interest, the wrong staff, infighting or what ?

Oh, I agree that it was widely reported, and I said that earlier. I was just curious over how there's a Wordpress blog site for Sam McCauley's, and how you happened to find it. For what it's worth, it doesn't even show up in the results page link that you give here, but obviously you found it somewhere with whatever search terms you used initially.

It's an odd-looking thing that somebody seems to have maintained up to the end of 2018, despite how the blog on their official website goes all the way back to 2011 -
    https://mccauleypharmacyblog.com/page/85/

Odd too that it's still live online, considering how McCauleys put quite an emphasis these days on their online presence and digital marketing. One of the reasons they gave for moving their HQ out of Wexford was a claim that there wasn't sufficient expertise in the area for that sort of thing.

But anyway, this is all "by the way" stuff, and nothing to do with company ownership or beauty salons or anything like that. Just curious about it because I used to be heavily involved in that sort of thing myself, and still am to a certain degree.

LOL you need to take it up with Carlyle Cardinal Ireland

LOL you need to take it up with Carlyle Cardinal Ireland

Maybe so. :D

As I said, just curious because I used to be heavily involved in that sort of thing. Actually used to do some work for another large pharmacy chain that would also be a household name and that would be one of the McCauley group's main competitors. I know they'd have been very likely to take some action if somebody was using their name for an unofficial Wordpress blog, so just wondering how somebody could run this one for three years and how it's still online.

Not questions anybody here can answer!

I didn't hear of the other places or the legal action but I can never understand how other towns can have their museums, historical sites etc without all the difficulties Enniscorthy seem to encounter in everything . Is it lack of interest, the wrong staff, infighting or what ?

Staff id say and greed there was a family who had to buy their fathers personal material after it was found in an auction after disappearing while on loan in wexford council storage cheaper to buy than take a legal route .

A good question, and you really do have to wonder when you consider how there never seems to be such issues even with other attractions that Wexford County Council also has a hand in, like the Dunbrody Famine Ship and (I think) the Heritage Park at Ferrycarrig.

Am thinking even of Clifden in Galway, where I visited last year, and how there's a small but interesting museum with small but interesting displays on Marconi, Alcock & Brown, the old Connemara railway line, and more.

For some reason, Enniscorthy doesn't seem to do these things as well as other places. A real pity.

Maybe so. :D

As I said, just curious because I used to be heavily involved in that sort of thing. Actually used to do some work for another large pharmacy chain that would also be a household name and that would be one of the McCauley group's main competitors. I know they'd have been very likely to take some action if somebody was using their name for an unofficial Wordpress blog, so just wondering how somebody could run this one for three years and how it's still online.

Not questions anybody here can answer!

I would think that since no one but the chain would have benefited from the blog entries it was left alone, I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

https://www.tripadvisor.ie/Attraction_Review-g319787-d319030-Reviews-The_National_1798_Rebellion_Centre-Enniscorthy_County_Wexford.html

Great reviews on TripAdvisor (I know not always a reliable source, but a good barometer). We should be advertising the hell out of the place on every road into the town. Maybe we do, I just don't notice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

A good question, and you really do have to wonder when you consider how there never seems to be such issues even with other attractions that Wexford County Council also has a hand in, like the Dunbrody Famine Ship and (I think) the Heritage Park at Ferrycarrig.

Am thinking even of Clifden in Galway, where I visited last year, and how there's a small but interesting museum with small but interesting displays on Marconi, Alcock & Brown, the old Connemara railway line, and more.

For some reason, Enniscorthy doesn't seem to do these things as well as other places. A real pity.

Doesn't Marconi have an Enniscorthy connection?

Advertisement