Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

His mother was Annie Jameson of the famous Irish whiskey Jamesons and was born and reared at Enniscorthy.

Regarding Enniscorthy history allot is in an archive in England Portsmouth I think as the family who owned allot of the area were from that neck of the woods and took allot of their family archives which was a great deal on Enniscorthy such as land records maps social history etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

McLoughlin wrote: »
    His mother was Annie Jameson of the famous Irish whiskey Jamesons and was born and reared at Enniscorthy.

Regarding Enniscorthy history allot is in an archive in England Portsmouth I think as the family who owned allot of the area were from that neck of the woods and took allot of their family archives which was a great deal on Enniscorthy such as land records maps social history etc

Hence The Still! We have a rich history - Eileen Grey, Jameson/Marconi, plus modern day writer Colm Toibin - like others have alluded to, the council neglects Enniscorthy in comparison to Wexford Town and Gorey. We should have a lot more going on as a cultural town.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Probably better looked after by the Portsmouth Estate than Wexford County Council.

This is the man to contact: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quentin_Wallop,_10th_Earl_of_Portsmouth

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Del.Monte wrote: »
    That the '98 Centre is in the wrong location is a given but if it were sold the contents would be fecked into storage like all the donated material formerly housed in the Castle Museum. The lad that owns the Castle Venue has no intention of selling it to anybody and it will left to the eventual inheritors of his estate to sort out. So don't hold your breath.

The latest offer to buy it was met with "oh I'm going to invest €1 million into it" that was said several times over the years since he originally closed it. He has another vacant premises near Tesco in New Ross and it's the same story with it.
    He'll never put a cent into either place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

https://www.tripadvisor.ie/Attraction_Review-g319787-d319030-Reviews-The_National_1798_Rebellion_Centre-Enniscorthy_County_Wexford.html

Great reviews on TripAdvisor (I know not always a reliable source, but a good barometer). We should be advertising the hell out of the place on every road into the town. Maybe we do, I just don't notice?

That's a good barometer all right, but maybe equally telling is how it has just 187 reviews there, going back to 2011.

By way of contrast, over the same time, Wells House has almost 650; the Heritage Park has 800; the Dunbrody Famine Ship has just short of 1,100; and Hook Lighthouse has more than 1,500.

Again, not the most accurate way of comparing visitor numbers between one place and another, but a good barometer all the same. Would agree that they should be advertising the hell out of the place if the visitor experience of those who do go there is so largely positive. I'm also not noticing it if they do so already...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

I suppose Wells is near Kilmuckridge and has loads to attact families, playing a bit of devils advocate.
    If people are going to Hook Lighthouse from Dublin say, they would generally take the N11, so we should definitely be trying to convince people to visit the town and Vinegar Hill, 1798 Centre, Enniscorthy Castle, there's enough there to make people stop for a few hours anyway and it might get more people into the town if nothing else.
    I will keep a closer eye the next time I drive into the town, see where the signs are if there is any.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭paulaa

I suppose Wells is near Kilmuckridge and has loads to attact families, playing a bit of devils advocate.
    If people are going to Hook Lighthouse from Dublin say, they would generally take the N11, so we should definitely be trying to convince people to visit the town and Vinegar Hill, 1798 Centre, Enniscorthy Castle, there's enough there to make people stop for a few hours anyway and it might get more people into the town if nothing else.
    I will keep a closer eye the next time I drive into the town, see where the signs are if there is any.

Wells House has a very good PR system and they use social media to the full, updating at least once a week. That makes all the difference

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

I was at the Riverside Hotel at the soft launch of the new big tourism branding Celtic Connections with all the usual tourism heads around the wexford region when it came to the the online side regarding TripAdvisor social media the majority lost interest saying it was pointless and their customers don't use the Internet and in general people don't bring the Internet when they go on holiday.

I was slightly mortified at what I was hearing basically they were dismissing a huge part of tourism today.

I was at the Riverside Hotel at the soft launch of the new big tourism branding Celtic Connections with all the usual tourism heads around the wexford region when it came to the the online side regarding TripAdvisor social media the majority lost interest saying it was pointless and their customers don't use the Internet and in general people don't bring the Internet when they go on holiday.

I was slightly mortified at what I was hearing basically they were dismissing a huge part of tourism today.

That is uber cringe. Well if they aren't using social media, they aren't using anything else either, considering you wouldn't even know it or anything else was in the town!!

That is uber cringe. Well if they aren't using social media, they aren't using anything else either, considering you wouldn't even know it or anything else was in the town!!

Del Monte can testify to the shambles that is the local tourism website for one.
    Could they manage to curate a social media marketing campaign properly?
    They'd rather spend thousands printing leaflets to be left around the town in the hope visitors pick one up rather than having a decent online presence to attract people in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭blindsider

I was in a small midlands town 3-4 yrs ago in winter, and before I left to drive home, a headlight bulb went on the car.

I had no clue where to go so I googled Motor factors etc. I rang the first shop on the list and 3 mins later, the nice chap was replacing said bulb. We chatted for a minute and I explained how I found the shop. He smiled and asked me would I come back inside to explain it to his father who had no time for the internet.

I did and 10 mins later I was in the car, and the father and son were in a big debate about pulling some ads from the local paper and putting more € into online ads.

I drove through the town last December - they have moved to bigger premises and seem to have hired more staff. Coincidence? Maybe - but I don't think so.

"That oul' internet...shur no-one uses that yoke!" :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

The Baked Potato (Old Dublin Road) the latest business to decide to not re-open their doors.

Could be wrong on this one, but has The Baked Potato already closed and re-opened a number of times over the years? Or at least had several changes of ownership/management?

As for the internet/social media advertising issue, I reckon what I've read above is both incredible and perfectly believable at the same time.

Incredible that people that don't recognise the potential and benefits that a proper online presence would have. But because of that, perfectly believable that somebody could truthfully say "our customers don't use the internet". Because people who use the internet would be attracted to other places, leaving only the old-fashioned brochures and leaflets crowd to actually come to Enniscorthy.

Am mindful of what somebody else said in a different context a few posts back: "don't suggest anything new or modern in Enniscorthy, because it doesn't go down well". Seems to be the case here when somebody suggested developing an online presence the way they should.

Re. The Baked Potato

Thank You

Over the last few months we have been doing a lot of thinking about the fast pace of life we have been living for the last sixteen years in business.
    When we first started out in business we had no kids and our business was our life as we thought.
    In 2015 we moved The Baked Potato from Rafter Street Enniscorthy to the Old Dublin Road where we have enjoyed five very successful years.
    Sixteen years later and a young family it is with a very heavy heart we have made the decision not to reopen our doors.
    We sincerely would like to thank all our wonderful staff our loyal customers and suppliers who have always supported us.

Paula & John Murphy

Spotted talk that the photo bar and cosmetics counter are also gone from McCauleys Enniscorthy, 11 staff to be made redundant in total.

jpb1974 wrote: »
    Re. The Baked Potato

Thank You

Over the last few months we have been doing a lot of thinking about the fast pace of life we have been living for the last sixteen years in business.
    When we first started out in business we had no kids and our business was our life as we thought.
    In 2015 we moved The Baked Potato from Rafter Street Enniscorthy to the Old Dublin Road where we have enjoyed five very successful years.
    Sixteen years later and a young family it is with a very heavy heart we have made the decision not to reopen our doors.
    We sincerely would like to thank all our wonderful staff our loyal customers and suppliers who have always supported us.

Paula & John Murphy

Ta. Probably should have been clearer in what I asked. Reckon that the premises itself on the Old Dublin Road has seen the closures & re-openings, rather than the business of The Baked Potato itself, which just happened to be the one to operate there most recently. Sad to see another one go anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

paulaa wrote: »

Fair play to them for selling stuff for twice what the supermarkets are selling it for and getting away with it.

kneemos wrote: »
    Fair play to them for selling stuff for twice what the supermarkets are selling it for and getting away with it.

That's not the point. Would the Market Square be suitable for the market ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

That's not the point. Would the Market Square be suitable for the market ?

For what purpose? Making the place look busy?

Easier parking in the Abbey Square.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

kneemos wrote: »

If people didn't want it it wouldn't last. A lot of produce is way better than what you buy in the supermarket and it's supporting local.

Now we know where John O'Rourke gets his ideas :D
    I don't see the problem though and it'd help get people in to the centre of the town.

Now we know where John O'Rourke gets his ideas :D
    I don't see the problem though and it'd help get people in to the centre of the town.

Not the first time stuff posted here caught the attention of the councillors.
    We should be credited with coming up with the good ideas they implement.

Couple of potential issues regarding Market Square:

1 - Parking, for both traders and shoppers. Traders may need to have their vans close by, particularly if selling refrigerated goods. And it's already been said umpteen times that in Enniscorthy, people apparently expect to be able to drive right to the place they want to go.

2 - It'd involve closing the Square off to traffic for several hours every Saturday. And look what happened even the last time, just a few weeks ago, that there seemed to be a suggestion of pedestrianising part of the town centre during normal business hours.

Couple of potential issues regarding Market Square:

1 - Parking, for both traders and shoppers. Traders may need to have their vans close by, particularly if selling refrigerated goods. And it's already been said umpteen times that in Enniscorthy, people apparently expect to be able to drive right to the place they want to go.

2 - It'd involve closing the Square off to traffic for several hours every Saturday. And look what happened even the last time, just a few weeks ago, that there seemed to be a suggestion of pedestrianising part of the town centre during normal business hours.

Some good points there.

Also are they going to charge for parking on Market Saturdays,

" 🚨Parking Charges🚨

Reminder that Parking Charges are reinstated across #Wexford from today"

• Registered Users Posts: 43 mrkr

https://twitter.com/SouthEastRadio/status/1277557312224284673

This is just the kind of forward thinking that will have Enniscorthy back and buzzing in no time!

Well if parking was free all day, who would park in every decent spot in the town??? I could understand maybe 1 hr free.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

The latest offer to buy it was met with "oh I'm going to invest €1 million into it" that was said several times over the years since he originally closed it. He has another vacant premises near Tesco in New Ross and it's the same story with it.
    He'll never put a cent into either place.

the one in new ross is that the semi castellated structure?

when i was in school in new ross 23 years ago the talk was that i was going to be a new nightclub

nothing happened since

i remember going to the castle to celebrate my junior cert results, went in at 6 before the bouncer came on the door :p:D

Cyrus wrote: »
    the one in new ross is that the semi castellated structure?

when i was in school in new ross 23 years ago the talk was that i was going to be a new nightclub

nothing happened since

i remember going to the castle to celebrate my junior cert results, went in at 6 before the bouncer came on the door :p:D

Was that the old Barrowland Ballroom ?

• Advertisement

Was that the old Barrowland Ballroom ?

That's the place, couldn't think of the name originally.

Advertisement