Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Recycling bins full at '98 Centre at lunchtime - some of them with all types of glass mixed together which means the whole lot goes to landfill. Why are some people such utter pricks? :mad:

Tonight two lads with some sort of hose on a lance made a futile effort to power wash the Athenaeum - more pressure from a garden hose and the place looks no better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Recycling bins full at '98 Centre at lunchtime - some of them with all types of glass mixed together which means the whole lot goes to landfill. Why are some people such utter pricks? :mad:

Tonight two lads with some sort of hose on a lance made a futile effort to power wash the Athenaeum - more pressure from a garden hose and the place looks no better.

Does it go to landfill? i think it gets sorted by hand somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Because if they didn't throw their stuff there they'd have to pay for it in their own bin.......

And the lads on the power washer - if they did it right they wouldn't have to do it again soon.......

The powerwasher team were back this evening - a bit of an improvement but the Athenaeum still looks grubby and now the paint needs touching up.

The bicolour flag on the Athenaeum has been replaced - at last - with a new tricolour. Why it is deemed necessary to fly the national flag 24/7 on public buildings until they become embarrassing rags is beyond me.

In other news, it appears that the Local Bar on Castle Hill has, thankfully, followed its predecessors into oblivion and won't be reopening any time soon.

The%2BLocal%2BBar.jpg

• Advertisement

Does it go to landfill? i think it gets sorted by hand somewhere.

Unlikely as many of the bottles get broken as they are chucked into the bottle bank and I doubt there's any manual sorting. I dabbled in glass recycling 20+years ago and even then cross contamination was a big no, no.

If anyone can throw light on this I'm happy to be corrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

Unlikely as many of the bottles get broken as they are chucked into the bottle bank and I doubt there's any manual sorting. I dabbled in glass recycling 20+years ago and even then cross contamination was a big no, no.

If anyone can throw light on this I'm happy to be corrected.

I know we don't always agree on things here (!) but I think you're right on this one. I believe it's possible all right to sort glass if colours have been mixed up, but the process is a lot more tedious and more expensive, and therefore probably uneconomical. But also like you, am happy to be corrected if anybody knows better.

As an aside - my wife had the last drop from a bottle of Bombay Gin last night. The bottle is now out in the shed with a load of others, awaiting our next trip to a bottle bank.

Bombay Gin comes in a sort of blue-coloured bottle. Anybody know should that go with the clear, brown, or green glass?

Or maybe I should just throw it in over a ditch somewhere instead? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭paulaa

Does anyone know what this is about ?

http://dms.wexfordcoco.ie/application_maps.php?q=20200645

paulaa wrote: »

Burke O'Learys shop on Rafter Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭cython

I know we don't always agree on things here (!) but I think you're right on this one. I believe it's possible all right to sort glass if colours have been mixed up, but the process is a lot more tedious and more expensive, and therefore probably uneconomical. But also like you, am happy to be corrected if anybody knows better.

As an aside - my wife had the last drop from a bottle of Bombay Gin last night. The bottle is now out in the shed with a load of others, awaiting our next trip to a bottle bank.

Bombay Gin comes in a sort of blue-coloured bottle. Anybody know should that go with the clear, brown, or green glass?

I've definitely seen bottle bins of late (not necessarily in Enniscorthy or Wexford) where the green glass bins have been expanded to green and blue glass, so I'd go with green. However, maybe check local signage, as there may be more details in smaller print?

Also, http://www.glassco.ie/how-to-recycle-your-glass.php explicitly says:
    - take your bottles and jars to your local bottle bank or bring centre and deposit your bottles and jars into the colour coded bins i.e. clear, green and brown. If you have blue bottles put them in with the green glass. Sorting your bottles by colour is important as mixed glass has to be sorted afterwards which costs money and uses a lot of energy.

• Advertisement

Burke O'Learys shop on Rafter Street.

Yes.Thanks. I was just wondering what a "Day Services Town Centre Hub" was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

I see the applicant is County Wexford Community Workshop, so am guessing it might be some sort of services like St. Aidan's Daycare Centre in Gorey. First I've heard of it, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,055 ✭✭✭CoBo55

I thought everyone had a glass bin by now. I have one this year's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

The bicolour flag on the Athenaeum has been replaced - at last - with a new tricolour. Why it is deemed necessary to fly the national flag 24/7 on public buildings until they become embarrassing rags is beyond me.

In other news, it appears that the Local Bar on Castle Hill has, thankfully, followed its predecessors into oblivion and won't be reopening any time soon.

Was a grand spot when Shocky had it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭johnnybmac

Pints were always sh1te in it though, maybe due to the lack of a cold room...

I was just looking at the videos from Dublin city centre with the crowds milling around outside the pubs. Is this what we have to look forward to in Enniscorthy when/if they pedestrianise areas of the town in the evenings ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

I was just looking at the videos from Dublin city centre with the crowds milling around outside the pubs. Is this what we have to look forward to in Enniscorthy when/if they pedestrianise areas of the town in the evenings ?

Unless the summer improves, I doubt it!

Unless the summer improves, I doubt it!

Really ? It didn't deter the drinkers in Dublin city centre, hundreds of them.

Pedestrianisation isn't needed to cause chaos - last Saturday afternoon in the Market Square was like Courtown on a bad day with hordes of people sitting and standing all over the place. Yuck, I felt I needed a shower after passing through. Social distancing Lol - the second wave can't be far off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Pedestrianisation isn't needed to cause chaos - last Saturday afternoon in the Market Square was like Courtown on a bad day with hordes of people sitting and standing all over the place. Yuck, I felt I needed a shower after passing through. Social distancing Lol - the second wave can't be far off.

Well outdoor celebrations in Enniscorthy in November 1918 did lead to a second far worse outbreak of the flu. Maybe someone should have taught that part of the towns history rather than focusing on 98 or Brooklyn.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭johnnybmac

McLoughlin wrote: »
    Well outdoor celebrations in Enniscorthy in November 1918 did lead to a second far worse outbreak of the flu. Maybe someone should have taught that part of the towns history rather than focusing on 98 or Brooklyn.

Are there any online resources with more info on that, or, could you recommend any good books that might cover it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

johnnybmac wrote: »
    Are there any online resources with more info on that, or, could you recommend any good books that might cover it?

Historian and Ferns native Ida Milne wrote a book "Stacking the Coffins" about the 1918 flu a good amount of information about Wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Down The Banks today...

The grass to the left of the path was killed earlier this year and the soil turned... and that's where it ended, all tall weed now.

pic2.jpg

And the "Enniscorthy Slum Drinking Association" sponsored seating, the picture doesn't actually illustrate how filthy and disgusting this is. If it was town officials who put this there, I'm not quiet sure what they were thinking.

pic1.jpg

I referred to the quaint 'seat(s)' earlier in the year - one went into the river at an early stage.

It's a lovely stretch of woodland full of wildlife that needs to be carefully looked after i.e no concrete/tarmac, signage, lighting or waste bins - in other words keep it natural unlike the Promenade. I haven't been down there for a while but your pictures are very disheartening. :(

I meant to ask - that area at the entrance that was weedkilled and ploughed - what was it used for in the past? It's crying out for rewilding and planting as it currently serves no purpose - as for the 'Brooklyn' bench....

I meant to ask - that area at the entrance that was weedkilled and ploughed - what was it used for in the past?

Wasn't used for anything, just poorly kept grass that was roughly cut a few times a year.

As for the "Brooklyn Bench"... on a good day you'll have doc leaves tickling your leg, on a bad day you'll be stung on the arse by nettles growing up through it.

I think I first highlighted the state of the seating at the Viewing Point on the St.John's Road about ten years ago - not much has changed. Another area with too much grass but at least it's been cut recently. The information board is in a filthy condition - a bit of soap and water would clean it up but the council will probably need to bring in consultants first.

viewing%2Barea.jpg

Blackstoops Roundabout looks well, a little effort goes a long way

IMG-20200714-185627522.jpg

Meanwhile musical chairs continues downtown with J'Adore Ladies shoe boutique moving from Wafer Street to the old Gary/Sam McCauley premises on Rafter Street and our poll topping Shinner TD has a brand new plush offices on Slaney Place. All's well in Enniscorthy.

NEW%2BSF%2BBOT%2BOFFICE.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

Meanwhile musical chairs continues downtown with J'Adore Ladies shoe boutique moving from Wafer Street to the old Gary/Sam McCauley premises on Rafter Street and our poll topping Shinner TD has a brand new plush offices on Slaney Street. All's well in Enniscorthy.

NEW%2BSF%2BBOT%2BOFFICE.jpg

That doesn't look like Slaney Street. What was there previously?

Advertisement