Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

That doesn't look like Slaney Street. What was there previously?

Slaney Place - sorry. :o

Corrected now with explanation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Wheres Mary Lou??

The nail bar on Castle Hill is being gutted for a makeover, or new tenant, as is the former suicide charity shop at the bottom of the hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

https://www.facebook.com/199467116748366/posts/3576035209091523/

AMBITIOUS PLANS FOR ENNISCORTHY COULD INCLUDE A CABLE CAR SERVICE!

Plans to transform Enniscorthy into a thriving economic hub and landmark tourist destination are continuing at pace. That was the message of Wexford County Council Head of Special Projects Brian Galvin when he addressed this afternoon’s monthly meeting of Enniscorthy Municipal District.

Central to the Council’s plans is the-re development and enhancement of the much-loved Enniscorthy Castle, including an adjoining visitor centre with retail and café facilities together with a state-of-the-art audio-visual experience to re-imagine the historic beginnings of Enniscorthy.

The overall master plan also includes a longer term ambition to create a car and coach park at the Turret Rocks with a cable car connection to the Castle, over the river Slaney, to help transform Enniscorthy into a landmark visitor destination.

The full cost is estimated at around €30 million.

Full details in our next issue of Slaney News on 3rd August.

Next issue of Slaney News will no doubt feature London bus found on Moon ....or has that already been done. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Cable car... seriously, someone needs their medication checked :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Is somebody getting paid to come up with this shoite? Seriously an investigation needs to be made.

They're either getting ideas from their kids drawings or smoking copious amounts of the baccy.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

jpb1974 wrote:
    The overall master plan also includes a longer term ambition to create a car and coach park at the Turret Rocks with a cable car connection to the Castle, over the river Slaney, to help transform Enniscorthy into a landmark visitor destination.

Are you sure that date should not be April 1st.

jpb1974 wrote:

Are you sure that date should not be April 1st.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

That's it, I have officially heard it all.

• Advertisement

How about an escalator on Castle Hill?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 DaKrimsonBarun

I assume the cable car will be designed to be reminiscent of the work of Enniscorthy's most famous and beloved daughter Eileen Gray?

I assume the cable car will be designed to be reminiscent of the work of Enniscorthy's most famous and beloved daughter Eileen Gray?

After one of Colm Breens carriages be better!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

One or Two Bed Property reqd. to rent in Enniscorthy.

Must take HAP; both tenants qualify for same; excellent references; lease/notice to quit due to expire in mid October; looking for a long stay, long term tenancy ideally as have rented in same place for 10+ years currently and previously 8.5 in total too.

Town Centre preferred or as close to as possible as neither of us drive (Portmouth House for example, Spencer Ct., Templeshannon etc.) but both have bicycles also.

Somewhere nearby to LIDL, ALDI, Dunnes, Petitts etc.'d be fine too.

Contact me by PM.

Interpretive centre for the Castle is going ahead apparently. Not sure who's interested in this stuff or want a history lesson on their holidays,but anyway.

https://www.pressreader.com/ireland/enniscorthy-guardian/20200721/281487868663621

kneemos wrote: »
    How about an escalator on Castle Hill?

I'd love that, hate walking up that hill......is the escalator going up or down or one each way?

I'd love that, hate walking up that hill......is the escalator going up or down or one each way?

Water slide coming down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

Interpretive centre for the Castle is going ahead apparently. Not sure who's interested in this stuff or want a history lesson on their holidays,but anyway.

https://www.pressreader.com/ireland/enniscorthy-guardian/20200721/281487868663621

Anyone else notice how PressReader reckons this story is from Wexford, Pennsylvania? :confused:

It's going to be "state of the art" too - the apparatchiks that run the country never tire of trotting out the same old tired cliches and assorted horse manure. Guess that they'll use this development as an excuse to flog the '98 Centre to one of their cronies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭paulaa

So is this new centre going to be like the Market square., a modern building that will look completely out of place beside the castle ? It will probably be used for only a few months of the year and left to rot for the rest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭johnnybmac

'The old bridge is not very pedestrian friendly,' Said Mr Enright.

Two footpaths on the old bridge. How many footpaths should we have Mr Enright ???

Pedestrian crossing either side would do the trick methinks.

Maybe use the money you saved to actually repair the footbridge at the end of the prom using proper materials, and professional people.

This is what I am seriously worried about when looking at any proposed changes to our town. Our council workers don't seem to have the ability or drive/management to properly maintain the very few decent public amenities that we have...

They will be left to rot like the seats and railings mentioned at the start of this thread...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Its a funny thread.

Posts and posts and posts bemoaning the state of the town, how nothing is done, no one wants to improve the town etc etc.

Then comes a few stories about possible plans to revamp the town with different ideas from opening up the streets for restaraunts and pubs to have seating outside to more out there projects etc and nothing but ridicule and more moaning.

Looking at the thread every single plan or idea is shot down straight away yet 90% of the thread is about how nobody does anything for the town

Kinda apt in many ways when you look at it.

It's usually the hair brained ideas they come up with that is the problem. They are trying to sell the town as an important historic area yet the ideas they put forward are usually to do away with the old buildings and features , see the Market Square and Rafter street for example.

They ignore the need for more retail and industry and allow high rents and ridiculous rates that smother any existing businesses.

the kelt wrote: »
    Its a funny thread.

Posts and posts and posts bemoaning the state of the town, how nothing is done, no one wants to improve the town etc etc.

Then comes a few stories about possible plans to revamp the town with different ideas from opening up the streets for restaraunts and pubs to have seating outside to more out there projects etc and nothing but ridicule and more moaning.

Looking at the thread every single plan or idea is shot down straight away yet 90% of the thread is about how nobody does anything for the town

Exactly - few of the moaners on here should put their name forward for local elections, or apply for council jobs and move up the ranks, seeing as how qualified they seem to be in everything.

johnnybmac wrote: »
    'The old bridge is not very pedestrian friendly,' Said Mr Enright.

Two footpaths on the old bridge. How many footpaths should we have Mr Enright ???

Pedestrian crossing either side would do the trick methinks.

Maybe use the money you saved to actually repair the footbridge at the end of the prom using proper materials, and professional people.

This is what I am seriously worried about when looking at any proposed changes to our town. Our council workers don't seem to have the ability or drive/management to properly maintain the very few decent public amenities that we have...

They will be left to rot like the seats and railings mentioned at the start of this thread...

Probably wouldn't even be any shorter by the time you get up through the swimming pool carpark.
    I can see what they're trying to do with getting more people across the bridge,but don't know what they're expecting to happen given that the western side is so devoid of retail.

You don't have to run in the local elections to voice your concerns regarding some of the blatantly obvious issues around the town. For example, I'd much rather see funds being factored into a long term upkeep/maintenance plan for the town than an unnecessary pedestrian bridge.

On a more positive note... we are getting 12 new dog sh1t bins around the town.

the kelt wrote: »
    Its a funny thread.

I think you may have missed highlighting the part where people have stated, time and time again, the sort of initiatives they'd like to see happening in the town. Themes such as employment, rate reductions, general upkeep and maintenance are constantly brought up here and when something positive happens in this regard it is typically highlighted. For example, if I walked down The Prom tomorrow to find that the footbridge had been cleaned and properly repaired I'd be the first on here to highlight same.

I may have asked this before, but does anybody know what the story is regarding pedestrianization on Rafter Street?

I was walking down same last week, towards the Market Square. There was a car coming up the street towards me and several vehicles parked on both sides on the street right up beside the store fronts. I had to basically clear myself out of the way until it was safe to walk in the middle of the street again. I can't make head nor tail of what is going on there... it was supposed to be pedestrianized and there isn't even a safe footpath to walk on now... but footpaths on The Old Bridge are an issue and require a new pedestrian bridge :confused::confused::confused:

This is the sort of glorification project sh1t that drives people nuts... and then people wonder why we give out?

Someone tell me where I have this wrong.. please.

Exactly - few of the moaners on here should put their name forward for local elections, or apply for council jobs and move up the ranks, seeing as how qualified they seem to be in everything.

Are we not entitled to our opinions ? I'd rather be a "moaner" than not give a damn what happens to the town like a lot of people.

• Advertisement

People are right to complain. Elected representatives are either totally out of touch with what is wrong in the town, or are just looking for some vanity project rather than sorting out the real issues in the town.
    I can tell you 1 thing - I never once in my life stood at the bottom of Slaney Street or at the swimming pool and bemoaned "wouldn't it be great if there was a bridge across there".

I never once stood on Turret Rocks and said "I'd love a cable car to the castle from here".

I have however complained about the footbridge down the prom, the awful job on pedestrianising Rafter Street, the fact that the Market Square is just a hang-out for layabouts, the fact that I can never get a taxi home from the town so don't even bother going out in the town, the amount of rubbish around the town, the fact that there is hardly a decent shop in the town because of high rates, etc, etc.

These are the issues that need to be fixed, because they affect peoples daily lives. Instead of nonsensical cable cars and un-needed footbridges.

Do these people even live in the town and are they aware of the issues, or do they just land in for a meeting with their latest hair-brained idea?

Advertisement