Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

kneemos wrote: »
    Ambitious.

Was there parking on one side when it was one way or were there paths on both sides?

Both! :D

If I recall correctly, people used to park on the path at one side, and walk on the path at the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭paulaa

Ambitious.

Was there parking on one side when it was one way or were there paths on both sides?

A path on each side and parking on one side. If you met someone driving up the hill you pulled in on the footpath and let them go by. The cars were a lot smaller then. No gas guzzler jeeps.

• I can’t understand what the council find so hard to understand why tourists don’t come to Enniscorthy. It’s not cable cars we need, we need suitable places to eat, drink, shop, etc.
    A cable car, merciful Jesus lads. They can’t maintain the stuff we do have (the river is a state, the seats beside it covered in moss and all sorts) and they want big new shiny toys? Honestly, their like kids who break their stuff and expect no one to object to their wanting new shiny things. Owens brought up a good point to be fair also regarding public toilets. There’s none!

I’m not sure exactly why they think places no ones arsed to visit will be more inclined to have visitors because there’s a cable car to bring you there. Invest in some actual transport options (shuttle buses or the likes same as Wexford has). As it stands now, if you don’t drive, you either walk where you need to go or pay for a cab. It’s ridiculous. There’s really issues that could be addressed and their away in la la land designing plans for a cable car as if you’re out in Sweden about to go skiing.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I can’t understand what the council find so hard to understand why tourists don’t come to Enniscorthy. It’s not cable cars we need, we need suitable places to eat, drink, shop, etc.
    A cable car, merciful Jesus lads. They can’t maintain the stuff we do have (the river is a state, the seats beside it covered in moss and all sorts) and they want big new shiny toys? Honestly, their like kids who break their stuff and expect no one to object to their wanting new shiny things. Owens brought up a good point to be fair also regarding public toilets. There’s none!

I’m not sure exactly why they think places no ones arsed to visit will be more inclined to have visitors because there’s a cable car to bring you there. Invest in some actual transport options (shuttle buses or the likes same as Wexford has). As it stands now, if you don’t drive, you either walk where you need to go or pay for a cab. It’s ridiculous. There’s really issues that could be addressed and their away in la la land designing plans for a cable car as if you’re out in Sweden about to go skiing.

Think they paid consultants to come up with this shoite. A festival to celebrate the river Slaney was another of their gems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

I may go up and remind myself of the magic of the Turrett Rocks soon. It must be better than I remember it if somebody felt it deserved a cable car....
    To be honest, I can say I never bothered me the toilet situation in any town, anywhere. Most pubs, etc aren't that inane that they won't let you use their toilet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Just spotted this, may be of interest to some -

A Planning Application has been lodged for a Quarry located 0.5km from the new St Patrick's Special School build. This application must be denied.

https://my.uplift.ie/petitions/stop-quarry-application-near-new-special-needs-school

jpb1974 wrote: »
    Just spotted this, may be of interest to some -

A Planning Application has been lodged for a Quarry located 0.5km from the new St Patrick's Special School build. This application must be denied.

https://my.uplift.ie/petitions/stop-quarry-application-near-new-special-needs-school

Think it's the existing quarry looking to expand their site.

Think it's the existing quarry looking to expand their site.

Yeah, kinda thought as much. This is a contentious one because the quarry was there all along, doing their thing.

jpb1974 wrote: »
    Yeah, kinda thought as much. This is a contentious one because the quarry was there all along, doing their thing.

It's down in a hole in fairness with a huge hill between them and the school.
    As regards noise,dust and traffic I doubt it.

It's down in a hole in fairness with a huge hill between them and the school.
    As regards noise,dust and traffic I doubt it.

Yep, I'd drive past it regularly and can't say I've ever noticed any noise or dust... have barely noticed a sinner going in or out of the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

It's planning application number 20200754, if anybody wants to have a look: https://dms.wexfordcoco.ie/index.php#

There are 13 submissions (objections) in from local residents already, all based on issues of noise, dust, traffic, and tremors caused by blasting. Maybe they're well-founded, maybe they're not....I don't pass that way very often, and wouldn't claim to know one way or the other.

If things are really as bad as the people who lodged those submissions say, and if these things really are of such concern to people involved with special needs children, do you have to wonder if it was an appropriate site for the new school in the first place? After all, there was already a working quarry there before the site was ever chosen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭johnnybmac

I've lived in Drumgoold most of my life, I'm now about 200 metres from the school in question.
    Apart from the Egan lorries coming up and down the road (local business, happy to see), we've never had any issue with noise or dust etc. from the quarry itself.

I hope this Tracy McGinnis person is asked to prove how "The noise pollution, dust, and traffic a quarry only 1/2 a kilometre away from the school would create throughout the day would be detrimental to the peaceful, quiet, and healthy learning environment needed for students with special needs"

Considering they couldn't possibly hear the quarry's daily operations.

Maybe, someone could ask the Principal of the Gaelscoil, about how this quarry has affected her students...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

I see Niall Holohan in the paper today, saying that pubs are trained in alcohol control. One thing he isn't trained in is providing clean toilets - my last visit there was no soap, an overflowing urinal and a broken towel thing for the whole evening.
    It would be a coronavirus paradise!

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Duffry Goat

Millstream fishmongers closing for good next week. He had really good value quality fish. I thought I saw a new coffee shop across from the cathedral. Anybody?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Recommendations for a garden maintenace/clearing company please? No "Man with a Van" types need reply.

Tricky, messy enough gig; Mid. Tce'd property so everything has to go through it.

Lot of stuff needs to be cut back, de-rooted in some cases & made more manageable & minimalist.

Biggest issue currently is disposal of branches & foliage......

What Pubs're open in Enniscorthy? Tavern's shut I presume? Same with Stamps? Bailey's open. What other ones please? Is Treacys itself open but not D Bar I presume?

What's the craic with Riverside Park Hotel; walk in as normal?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

The floods every year take care of the litter
    You could contact Wexford council or get some friends together and pick up litter don't fall into the river

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Looking for a blacksmith near Enniscorthy - not for horses - a bit of ironwork that needs same expertise. Thanks in advance. :)

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Looking for a blacksmith near Enniscorthy - not for horses - a bit of ironwork that needs same expertise. Thanks in advance. :)

http://www.pikemanforge.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    What Pubs're open in Enniscorthy? Tavern's shut I presume? Same with Stamps? Bailey's open. What other ones please? Is Treacys itself open but not D Bar I presume?

What's the craic with Riverside Park Hotel; walk in as normal?

D Bar is open. TJ Murphys, The Antique. Rackards. Not sure about walk ins to the Riverside.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Del.Monte wrote: »

Guy Urbin is your man, he living down in Borrmount Lodge his details are in this link.

http://irishblacksmiths.com/gallerya_guy_urbin.html

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭rsom

Millstream fishmongers closing for good next week. He had really good value quality fish. I thought I saw a new coffee shop across from the cathedral. Anybody?

Was in that new coffee shop on Saturday. Got a free coffee. Absolutely gorgeous 😊. Think they are doing take away only at first.

Couple observations as a part-time Scalder/full-time Scallian Ayter.....

Shoes; all I could think of was Mahady-Breens; closed Sundays because, well, of course like, sure no one'd need shoes of a Sunday....

No Heatons/USC/Brand Max/Sports Direct/Woodies/Halfords (Kennys the only place in town for a town this size is shocking; we've 3 with at least 1 being open 7 days a week) or Tesco and, for now, no LIDL (I noted their "November 2020" re-opening date as a moveable feast though it's moving gently along with some great & obvious progress to passers-by week on week; November is a long month though but presumably there's a specific delivery date unknown to those of us who don't need to).

In common? No bus service which is needed; Carlow's due to get 2 Cross Town services late 2020/Springtime 2021; didn't Enniscorthy have one but it wasn't well populated despite initial enthusiastic support in a town which has various climbs & hills (oh to be in a wheelchair coming down Slaney St. or Castle Hill & the breaks go....) and goes from JJ Bolgers & Clearstream to out the Wexford & Ross Roads; would a new single or double service be warranted or supported?

Can think of all the new developments on Milehouse Rd. where a pop. might justify something; I'd to pay €7 for a taxi recently into the quay; f**k me but if there was a bus service doing that route you'd get a return for that price.

Both towns're broadly similarly spread out & similar populations but for Enniscorthy you've to go elsewhere for far too many things incl. the cinema.; I compared it recently to someone as Carlow would've been 20 years ago......

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭westsidestory

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    Couple observations as a part-time Scalder/full-time Scallian Ayter.....

Shoes; all I could think of was Mahady-Breens; closed Sundays because, well, of course like, sure no one'd need shoes of a Sunday....

No Heatons/USC/Brand Max/Sports Direct/Woodies/Halfords (Kennys the only place in town for a town this size is shocking; we've 3 with at least 1 being open 7 days a week) or Tesco and, for now, no LIDL (I noted their "November 2020" re-opening date as a moveable feast though it's moving gently along with some great & obvious progress to passers-by week on week; November is a long month though but presumably there's a specific delivery date unknown to those of us who don't need to).

In common? No bus service which is needed; Carlow's due to get 2 Cross Town services late 2020/Springtime 2021; didn't Enniscorthy have one but it wasn't well populated despite initial enthusiastic support in a town which has various climbs & hills (oh to be in a wheelchair coming down Slaney St. or Castle Hill & the breaks go....) and goes from JJ Bolgers & Clearstream to out the Wexford & Ross Roads; would a new single or double service be warranted or supported?

Can think of all the new developments on Milehouse Rd. where a pop. might justify something; I'd to pay €7 for a taxi recently into the quay; f**k me but if there was a bus service doing that route you'd get a return for that price.

Both towns're broadly similarly spread out & similar populations but for Enniscorthy you've to go elsewhere for far too many things incl. the cinema.; I compared it recently to someone as Carlow would've been 20 years ago......

2016 census

Enniscorthy 11,381
    Carlow 24,272

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭IsaBrown

2016 census

Enniscorthy 11,381
    Carlow 24,272

If all of these big new estates in Clonhasten and the Milehouse ever get built maybe there'd be a market for a service of some sort. As is you'd probably walk there while waiting for the thing.

Need an MP3 Player repaired. Any recommendations please?

Place I was thinking of in the yard where Arro Smiths are is long gone apparently.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Does anyone repair small appliances anymore, eg vacum cleaners, kettles etc ?

• Advertisement

paulaa wrote: »
    Does anyone repair small appliances anymore, eg vacum cleaners, kettles etc ?

Hardly economical I'd imagine.

Advertisement