Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,054 ✭✭✭CoBo55

vicwatson wrote: »
    Could you see it if you lived in Enniscorthy maybe?:rolleyes:

Dis aul yoke call de internet... https://wexfordtoday.com/2020/06/04/major-development-of-lidl-store-in-enniscorthy/

See you yours:rolleyes: and raise you one:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Duffry Goat

Is Enniscorthy having more house parties than the rest of the county? Be careful out there. It could be you :
    The breakdown of new #COVID19Ireland cases by electoral district for #Wexford for the 2 week period up to September 28th has now been revealed and is as follows:
    Kilmuckridge - 15
    Enniscorthy - 17
    New Ross - 7
    Gorey - 7
    Wexford - <5
    Rosslare - <5

Is Enniscorthy having more house parties than the rest of the county? Be careful out there. It could be you :
    The breakdown of new #COVID19Ireland cases by electoral district for #Wexford for the 2 week period up to September 28th has now been revealed and is as follows:
    Kilmuckridge - 15
    Enniscorthy - 17
    New Ross - 7
    Gorey - 7
    Wexford - <5
    Rosslare - <5

According to rumour a recent wedding in Enniscorthy has boosted the covid figure..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭enniscorthy

Kilmuckridge - 15
    Enniscorthy - 17
    New Ross - 7
    Gorey - 7
    Wexford - <5
    Rosslare - <5

they want be ashamed themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Dis aul yoke call de internet... https://wexfordtoday.com/2020/06/04/major-development-of-lidl-store-in-enniscorthy/

See you yours:rolleyes: and raise you one:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I think boards.ie might be available on the internet, not sure though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

they want be ashamed themselves

With the Starlights and Shamrocks winning last weekend, gonna be cases coming down the line shortly. Pubs were packed, Bellefield especially on Sunday night

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭westsidestory

Is the divide between Stars/Raps and Shams strictly the Slaney or what's the craic?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭blindsider

With the Starlights and Shamrocks winning last weekend, gonna be cases coming down the line shortly. Pubs were packed, Bellefield especially on Sunday night

Looked to me like there were far more than 100 people in the ground on Sat afternoon for the game.

I saw no controls or COVID signage outside - not even a few token hi-viz vests.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

blindsider wrote: »
    Looked to me like there were far more than 100 people in the ground on Sat afternoon for the game.

I saw no controls or COVID signage outside - not even a few token hi-viz vests.

Don't know for sure which ground or game you're referring to, but from context, I'm guessing it might be the Shamrocks v Ballyhogue Junior 'A' Final in Bellefield on Saturday afternoon.

Don't know either where you seem to have got the idea that there shouldn't have been more than 100 people at it. The rules were up to 200 spectators allowed at grounds with capacities below 5,000 and up to 500 spectators at grounds with capacities above that.

And note how those figures are for spectators, so if you add in two matchday squads, team officials, match officials, media personnel, stewards, etc., you could have up to either 300 or 600 people at a match, depending on the size of the ground.

Wexford Co. Board declared some time back that Bellefield is one of the grounds with capacity above 5,000 and that crowds of 500 spectators are therefore allowed there. Was surprised at this myself, as I didn't think you could fit 5,000 into the ground.

But either way, having more than 100 people at whatever match you're referring to is not a problem, so long as total number is below either the roughly 300 or roughly 600 overall figures as outlined above.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Don't know for sure which ground or game you're referring to, but from context, I'm guessing it might be the Shamrocks v Ballyhogue Junior 'A' Final in Bellefield on Saturday afternoon.

Don't know either where you seem to have got the idea that there shouldn't have been more than 100 people at it. The rules were up to 200 spectators allowed at grounds with capacities below 5,000 and up to 500 spectators at grounds with capacities above that.

And note how those figures are for spectators, so if you add in two matchday squads, team officials, match officials, media personnel, stewards, etc., you could have up to either 300 or 600 people at a match, depending on the size of the ground.

Wexford Co. Board declared some time back that Bellefield is one of the grounds with capacity above 5,000 and that crowds of 500 spectators are therefore allowed there. Was surprised at this myself, as I didn't think you could fit 5,000 into the ground.

But either way, having more than 100 people at whatever match you're referring to is not a problem, so long as total number is below either the roughly 300 or roughly 600 overall figures as outlined above.

GAA maths.

• Advertisement

Is the divide between Stars/Raps and Shams strictly the Slaney or what's the craic?

That's the geographical divide between the clubs all right.

In practice, some people on one side of the river play for or support the club on the other side. This works both ways.

Relationship between the clubs hasn't always been great either, though in fairness, it's probably been "laissez-faire" from both sides for the past 20 years or more. Reasons for any frostiness are to do with the complicated history of GAA clubs in the town, and how they went in and out of existence. Far too complicated to explain in detail here!

kneemos wrote: »
    GAA maths.

Maybe so. As I said, I was surprised by it myself.

But again, the main point is that you could have up to almost 300 people at any match last Saturday, without being in breach of any regulation. The other poster seemed to have the idea that no more than 100 were to be allowed.

Fair enough re the increased capacity.

My other point still stands though - no evidence of any COVID control whatsoever - and according to an earlier post by EverythingGood, the crowd stayed around to celebrate.

blindsider wrote: »
    Fair enough re the increased capacity.

My other point still stands though - no evidence of any COVID control whatsoever - and according to an earlier post by EverythingGood, the crowd stayed around to celebrate.

Yes, your other point still stands all right. Wasn't there myself on either day as I'm not involved with either of the town clubs. I wouldn't even try to speak on behalf of the Shamrocks club for how supporters may or may not have behaved in celebration on Saturday, or the Rapps/Starlights club for how they managed a crowd in their bar/function room on Sunday as they celebrated their own victory.

As regards Covid controls in general, all I can tell you is that every GAA ground in the country is supposed to have had up signage since the Return to Play protocol came into effect in July. It's been a few weeks since I was in Bellefield and I wasn't actually looking out for signage when I was there, but I'd be surprised if the Rapps/Starlights club aren't complying.

As regards stewards, I'd be surprised too if the County Board didn't have their usual level of stewarding in place for a crowd of that size. But again, can't say for sure, since I wasn't there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

I thought the limit was 200 spectators at matches at the weekend, no? As for stewarding, joke at every match and were more like lads wanting to get in to see the match for free themselves. I would say they never once asked anybody to move.
    But sure, the GAA have spoken on what they saw across the country!

Hmmm. Started to doubt myself, so I looked things up, and I don't mind admitting when I get something wrong. Turns out the 200/500 limits are for Level 1 restrictions, and for Level 2 (like at the weekend just gone by), it's 100/200.

That actually explains something else to me, because I was in Wexford Park myself at the weekend, and thought the crowd looked nowhere near the 500 I was expecting. I'd also wondered how come our club had so few tickets to distribute in advance of the match. So now I know.

Anyway, as regards stewarding.....would share much of that view myself. But that's a whole other story.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Word on the street is that some pubs were rammed last night with people getting in that last 'essential' pint before midnight. Hopefully the smashed window in the new Homesavers premises on Rafter Street was an accident rather than a drink fuelled incident, but the smashing of one of the recently installed lights at St.Mary's Church was no accident.

Homesavers.jpg

CHURCH%2BLIGHT.jpg

@DelMonte - that's mindless stuff isn't it?

So frustrating to see that someone gets their 'kicks' out of destroying a light on private premises.

That's the geographical divide between the clubs all right.

In practice, some people on one side of the river play for or support the club on the other side. This works both ways.

Relationship between the clubs hasn't always been great either, though in fairness, it's probably been "laissez-faire" from both sides for the past 20 years or more. Reasons for any frostiness are to do with the complicated history of GAA clubs in the town, and how they went in and out of existence. Far too complicated to explain in detail here!

The Declan Ruth transfer caused a big breakdown in relations

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭paulaa

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Word on the street is that some pubs were rammed last night with people getting in that last 'essential' pint before midnight. Hopefully the smashed window in the new Homesavers premises on Rafter Street was an accident rather than a drink fuelled incident, but the smashing of one of the recently installed lights at St.Mary's Church was no accident.

I hope the Home saver incident was an accident. It's not a great advertisement for attracting more businesses to the town. You'd also have to wonder who indoctrinated the scum who, regularly deface and vandalise St Mary's church, with bigotry ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

paulaa wrote: »
    I hope the Home saver incident was an accident. It's not a great advertisement for attracting more businesses to the town. You'd also have to wonder who indoctrinated the scum who regularly deface and vandalise St Mary's church with bigotry ?

Bigotry would imply some form of knowledge of religion. I wouldn't say their education extends that far.

Bigotry would imply some form of knowledge of religion. I wouldn't say their education extends that far.

They might not know what bigotry is but that doesn't stop them displaying it unfortunately. The phrase that springs to mind, black cat black kitten is most appropriate.

The Declan Ruth transfer caused a big breakdown in relations

It did. Can't remember when exactly that was, but think he was already with the Rapps by the time of the '96 All-Ireland?

A more historic....let's call it "unease"....between the clubs dates back to the circumstances in which the current Shamrocks club was founded in the 1980s.

The previous Shamrocks club, that had successes such as the county senior hurling titles of 1964 and '69, was one of the clubs that merged in the early 70s to form the entity that's formally known as Enniscorthy Hurling and Football Club, and commonly known as Rapparees/Starlights.

So strictly speaking, those success of the 60s "belong" to the Rapps/Starlights club. Yet the current Shamrocks club claimed them as their own, right from the start of when the current club was founded, even though they had little or nothing to do with that 60s team other than choosing the same name.

The 70s merger was before my time and I won't claim to know all the details of the 80s foundation of the current Shamrocks club because I was only a young lad at the time. But I do remember than an uncle of mine, who's since deceased and who'd played with both Enniscorthy St. Aidans and the "old" Shamrocks before becoming involved with the new Rapparees club, was particularly incensed about this "new crowd up the Shannon" claiming they were the same as the 60s Shamrocks. I know too that he wasn't the only one.

As previously stated, just part of the long and complicated history of Enniscorthy GAA clubs. Just hadn't the time to write about it here before now!

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Rackard

It did. Can't remember when exactly that was, but think he was already with the Rapps by the time of the '96 All-Ireland?

A more historic....let's call it "unease"....between the clubs dates back to the circumstances in which the current Shamrocks club was founded in the 1980s.

The previous Shamrocks club, that had successes such as the county senior hurling titles of 1964 and '69, was one of the clubs that merged in the early 70s to form the entity that's formally known as Enniscorthy Hurling and Football Club, and commonly known as Rapparees/Starlights.

So strictly speaking, those success of the 60s "belong" to the Rapps/Starlights club. Yet the current Shamrocks club claimed them as their own, right from the start of when the current club was founded, even though they had little or nothing to do with that 60s team other than choosing the same name.

The 70s merger was before my time and I won't claim to know all the details of the 80s foundation of the current Shamrocks club because I was only a young lad at the time. But I do remember than an uncle of mine, who's since deceased and who'd played with both Enniscorthy St. Aidans and the "old" Shamrocks before becoming involved with the new Rapparees club, was particularly incensed about this "new crowd up the Shannon" claiming they were the same as the 60s Shamrocks. I know too that he wasn't the only one.

As previously stated, just part of the long and complicated history of Enniscorthy GAA clubs. Just hadn't the time to write about it here before now!

Gas the way the clubs are alright.
    Skippy Ruth won his All-Ireland as a Shamrocks player. Think they even got promoted to senior that year. He transferred across later.
    Which caused war. Shamrocks even threw a stumbling block in if I remember that Skippy on wrote "Rapparees" on the transfer form on the objection that no such club exists (proper title should be "Rapparees/Starlights Hurling and Football Club"). Anyway, all ironed out in the end eventually. In fairness, Skippy was on the county team and wanted a bit more serious hurling at the time I'd say.

To me that's the divide over the years. If you're someway serious about senior hurling and football, play with the Rapps/Starlights. If you're semi-serious, play with Shamrocks. Exceptions of course if you just grew up playing with your particular club.

Rackard wrote: »
    Skippy Ruth won his All-Ireland as a Shamrocks player. Think they even got promoted to senior that year. He transferred across later.
    Which caused war. Shamrocks even threw a stumbling block in if I remember that Skippy on wrote "Rapparees" on the transfer form on the objection that no such club exists (proper title should be "Rapparees/Starlights Hurling and Football Club"). Anyway, all ironed out in the end eventually. In fairness, Skippy was on the county team and wanted a bit more serious hurling at the time I'd say.

To me that's the divide over the years. If you're someway serious about senior hurling and football, play with the Rapps/Starlights. If you're semi-serious, play with Shamrocks. Exceptions of course if you just grew up playing with your particular club.

You're right in that Rocks got senior hurling that year, and went down again the year after. A bit of a yoyo club that way. Skippy needed the Rapps at that time, to keep his hurling to a higher standard to what the Rocks could generally offer. In saying all that, I'm from the Shannon so was disappointed at the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭westsidestory

Be fair to say Raps/Stars have the greater pick and larger country area feeding into club?

Be fair to say Raps/Stars have the greater pick and larger country area feeding into club?

Mitch Jordan wanted to move from Marshalstown one year, to the Rapps, it caused major rumblings, not going ahead in the end. GAA is very parochial, no Rapps have the farside, not much outside the town boundaries playing for them, unless they moved out and continue to play/their kids play etc.

Rackard wrote: »

I think it was the case that Skippy just wrote "Rapps" on the transfer form (not even "Rapparees"), and that what should have been entered was "Enniscorthy Hurling and Football Club".

Not sure it was Shamrocks who kicked up over that though, because they would have had to sign the transfer form (albeit reluctantly, I'm sure) for it to be considered in the first place.

Think it might have been the Transfers Committee themselves who poined out that the application wasn't officially in order, and so they had to refuse it at first, before approving it when it was submitted properly the second time.

I remember the time there was talk of Mitch Jordan moving to the Rapps too. I also remember how there were attempts another time to have Eamonn Scallan transfer there from Liam Mellows (Coolgreany), before he transferred to Ferns instead. In fairness, he ended up building a house in Ferns, and still lives there. But I think the house was only at the planning stage at the time of the transfer, and he was still living in Coolgreany at the time.

God this thread has become mind numbingly boring.... Fcukin flash in the pan has been's... None of them were worth a dry ball of goat ****....

• Advertisement

GAA is very parochial

Very true. :D

I grew up playing for one neighbouring club myself, and am currently involved in another, and can't think of anybody in a border area who opted to play for the Rapps instead. The whole "town club" v "country club" divide is still as big as it ever was.

Advertisement