Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Could we not have a Enniscorthy GAA thread and keep this thread for everyday stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭westsidestory

Mitch Jordan wanted to move from Marshalstown one year, to the Rapps, it caused major rumblings, not going ahead in the end. GAA is very parochial, no Rapps have the farside, not much outside the town boundaries playing for them, unless they moved out and continue to play/their kids play etc.

So country clubs come right in near town itself?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

So country clubs come right in near town itself?

Well, they come in to where the parish boundaries are. The boundary with Marshalstown, for example, is somewhere around the Milehouse. The boundary with Duffry Rovers is just after Monart House as you head away from town. So yeah, close enough to the town itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,054 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Somebody make it stop....

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Somebody make it stop....
    Del.Monte wrote: »
    Could we not have a Enniscorthy GAA thread and keep this thread for everyday stuff?

Well, pardon me for one, for posting about Enniscorthy-related items of interest to at least some people here, in a thread that's titled simply "Enniscorthy".

I've no more to say about GAA matters anyway, unless somebody else raises a new point. So as far as I'm concerned, this thread can go back to being about broken windows, grumbles about what the council has done or hasn't done, and comments on photos taken during rambles around town.

I promise I won't ask for new threads to be started on them. If I don't happen to be overly interested in such things myself, I'll just gloss over them and wait for something else to be posted that does interest me. Just as you could have done yourselves instead of complaining about a few people talking about a few GAA matters for a few days.

It was said a few posts up that the GAA is very parochial, and that's true in one sense of the word. Also seems the case that some people here are very parochial in the other sense. :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Well, pardon me for one, for posting about Enniscorthy-related items of interest to at least some people here, in a thread that's titled simply "Enniscorthy".

I've no more to say about GAA matters anyway, unless somebody else raises a new point. So as far as I'm concerned, this thread can go back to being about broken windows, grumbles about what the council has done or hasn't done, and comments on photos taken during rambles around town.

I promise I won't ask for new threads to be started on them. If I don't happen to be overly interested in such things myself, I'll just gloss over them and wait for something else to be posted that does interest me. Just as you could have done yourselves instead of complaining about a few people talking about a few GAA matters for a few days.

It was said a few posts up that the GAA is very parochial, and that's true in one sense of the word. Also seems the case that some people here are very parochial in the other sense. :D:D

Personally I enjoyed the GAA discussion. Unimpressed with the behaviour of the pseudo mods.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

Enjoyed it too. Not being from town i find the politics and background interesting.

Assuming I'm the pseudo mod - didn't mean to be - but surely one of you could start a thread for all the GAA stuff. I know nothing about the GAA and don't want to. :D

Assuming I'm the pseudo mod - didn't mean to be - but surely one of you could start a thread for all the GAA stuff. I know nothing about the GAA and don't want to. :D

By that logic, why don't you start a separate thread for your photos?

"Enniscorthy" is the thread title... the town's sporting history is relevant and significant, people have the right to discuss it.

• Guys - word is a convicted pedophile has moved into Westbury Woods in town. Please keep extra care of your kids! My sister sent me this and I had to share immediately, not usually one for this stuff, but when it’s kids..

https://www.facebook.com/ProblemedIreland/videos/937652413425239/

• Advertisement

jpb1974 wrote: »
    By that logic, why don't you start a separate thread for your photos?

"Enniscorthy" is the thread title... the town's sporting history is relevant and significant, people have the right to discuss it.

Better still I'll stop posting altogether and let the thread disappear up its own arse.

Better still I'll stop posting altogether and let the thread disappear up its own arse.

You wanna throw your toys out of the pram, that's your choice.

I stand firm on my stance that people discussing Enniscorthy's GAA history is relevant to the thread and of interest to some people. Go find a moderator that disagrees.

Ps. I don't have an issue with your photos, just using it as an example.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,090 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

You wanna throw your toys out of the pram, that's your choice.

I stand firm on my stance that people discussing Enniscorthy's GAA history is relevant to the thread and of interest to some people. Go find a moderator that disagrees.

I'd much prefer read about GAA than smashed lights. And I wouldn't be a huge fan of the GAA.

• why are the two of ye even fighting in the first place? The thread has no pre defined topic, besides “enniscorthy”. The OP is about how the towns run down in recent years, so frankly any message beyond that topic is “off topic”. You’re bickering like chaps over someone talking about Enniscorthy GAA.

A thread titled “enniscorthy” can’t be used to discuss ENNISCORTHY GAA? Me arse.

Get down off it Del.Monte. You’re the main person I see causing ****e in this thread and to have such arrogance as to say “if I stop posting the thread dies” is actually scandalous. Grow up.

why are the two of ye even fighting in the first place? The thread has no pre defined topic, besides “enniscorthy”. The OP is about how the towns run down in recent years, so frankly any message beyond that topic is “off topic”. You’re bickering like chaps over someone talking about Enniscorthy GAA.

A thread titled “enniscorthy” can’t be used to discuss ENNISCORTHY GAA? Me arse.

Get down off it Del.Monte. You’re the main person I see causing ****e in this thread and to have such arrogance as to say “if I stop posting the thread dies” is actually scandalous. Grow up.

All I see is civilised debate. I have great respect for Del Monte as a contributor here, I don't agree with him on the seperate thread opinion.

People need to not get their knickers in a twist because people respectfully disagree. It's healthy discussion... I laughed inside at the threat to leave, like there isn't better things to worry about :-)

• jpb1974 wrote: »
    All I see is civilised debate. I have great respect for Del Monte as a contributor here, I don't agree with him on the seperate thread opinion.

People need to not get their knickers in a twist because people respectfully disagree.

to be fair bro he’s hardly having a civilised debate when you’re telling him not to throw his toys out of the pram because he has threatened(?) not to post here anymore.

to be fair bro he’s hardly having a civilised debate when you’re telling him not to throw his toys out of the pram because he has threatened(?) not to post here anymore.

Chill with the dramatisation... Del Monte a good bloke who cares about the town, much respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Well.....

Well, things have certainly kicked off in the couple of hours since I was last on Boards. :D

For what it's worth, personally I welcomed a bit of GAA talk here. Firstly, because things had been relatively quiet in the thread recently, and secondly because due to the latest shutdown, there's not much discussion at the moment on the GAA forum (a different site) which I also frequent.

I know the GAA is not everybody's cup of tea but I'd have thought those people would have better tolerated a bit of a temporary digression into such things. After all, it's a large part of the social history of the town for the past 125 years or more, and a topic of great interest to a great many people in the town and district, so there seemed no harm in having a short discussion on it here.

Also for what it's worth, I'm another who considers Del.Monte to be a good contributor around here - he has an interesting take on things, even if very (extremely?) rigid in his viewpoint on many matters.

But having said that, I'm amused too by the notion that any regular poster on any thread on the whole of Boards.ie would think that the thread would "disappear up its own arse" if that poster stopped contributing.

Anyway, it's his own choice whether he wants to post here again or not. Just as the rest of us have the choice of whether to post or not to post too.

Don't know about anyone else, but I'll be back here sometime tomorrow. :)

Bit more GAA chat and we might be lucky enough to get CoBo55 to p1ss off too.

LOL.. I'm joking :)

On a brighter note - down Del Monte's river side walk, they've killed off all the crappy weeds and planted what might be grass but is hopefully wild flowers. Two timber bee houses also erected... hope they last.

• Advertisement

What does anyone think about how the Starlights might have done in Leinster this year?

:D:D:D:D

Just joking. I don't want this to kick off again. Honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Roll up, roll up, there's a paedophile in Enniscorthy & they're being targeted; not sure where it is or even if true or what the mob think they'll achieve?

As for whether the person is or isn't? We've seen before where it doesn't matter when a mob gets going......

The headline "Alleged Paedophiles moved into a childrens estate in Enniscorthy"; a childrens estate? The specific one is named in comments.

https://www.facebook.com/ProblemedIreland/videos/937652413425239

What does anyone think about how the Starlights might have done in Leinster this year?

:D:D:D:D

Wexford football clubs are generally p1ss poor outside of the county.

Shels in the hurling were really impressive, I'd have liked to have seen them in Leinster.

Wexford football clubs are generally p1ss poor outside of the county.

Shels in the hurling were really impressive, I'd have liked to have seen them in Leinster.

Starlights are actually the last Wexford club to win a match in the Leinster Championship....all the way back in 2004.

P1ss poor indeed.

And THAT'S my final word on GAA stuff. For tonight anyway. ;)

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    Roll up, roll up, there's a paedophile in Enniscorthy & they're being targeted; not sure where it is or even if true or what the mob think they'll achieve?

As for whether the person is or isn't? We've seen before where it doesn't matter when a mob gets going......

The headline "Alleged Paedophiles moved into a childrens estate in Enniscorthy"; a childrens estate? The specific one is named in comments.

https://www.facebook.com/ProblemedIreland/videos/937652413425239

I'm actually just looking at that video. I don't know what exactly the story is, or who exactly is supposed to be moving this person or these people into town, but I do know that the Facebook page that broadcast the video doesn't exactly scream "credible news source" to me. If there does happen to be some basis to the claims there, I hope the details emerge from some other source or sources too.

Anyway, you're right in saying that sometimes the truth doesn't really matter when a mob forms. I remember seeing similar scenes on Facebook a few years ago, when a crowd gathered at an estate in Courtown to protest against Larry Murphy allegedly moving in there. He was nowhere near the place at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

I enjoyed a bit of GAA talk, even if not a big GAA fan myself I have a passing interest and it was interesting to read the history of the clubs in the town. If people wanted to discuss an issue in the tennis or hockey club in the town, it would be welcome once it doesn't become 10-15 pages of crap about it!
    Mob rule is becoming part of the norm in modern society unfortunately. And I'm definitely not giving Problemed Ireland the oxygen they would thrive on.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭westsidestory

No more questions m'lord.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

A bit much and a bit unfair. And sport is "everyday stuff".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭paulaa

I enjoyed the GAA chat , having been brought up with a grandfather who made most of the hurls for the local clubs and the Wexford county teams through the 40's,50's, 60's and on until he passed away.

However I don't like the ganging up on one person who has a different opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,976 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Let me know when you're all finished and I'll be back to read items of interest

Advertisement