Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

On a brighter note - down Del Monte's river side walk, they've killed off all the crappy weeds and planted what might be grass but is hopefully wild flowers. Two timber bee houses also erected... hope they last.[/quote]

Surprised the bee hives are still there. Optimism over experience with a lot of these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭paulaa

I enjoyed a bit of GAA talk, even if not a big GAA fan myself I have a passing interest and it was interesting to read the history of the clubs in the town. If people wanted to discuss an issue in the tennis or hockey club in the town, it would be welcome once it doesn't become 10-15 pages of crap about it!
    Mob rule is becoming part of the norm in modern society unfortunately. And I'm definitely not giving Problemed Ireland the oxygen they would thrive on.

I saw that video and a lot of the comments from online "warriors" would make your hair stand on end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

paulaa wrote: »
    I enjoyed the GAA chat , having been brought up with a grandfather who made most of the hurls for the local clubs and the Wexford county teams through the 40's,50's, 60's and on until he passed away.

However I don't like the ganging up on one person who has a different opinion.

I'm not ganging up, far from it, and I think my comment was very mild. The original comment about starting another thread cos he didn't like the subject matter is the opposite end of the scale.

I don't like all aspects of the chat on here, but I would never ask posters to remove themselves and start anew somewhere else.

kneemos wrote: »
    On a brighter note - down Del Monte's river side walk, they've killed off all the crappy weeds and planted what might be grass but is hopefully wild flowers. Two timber bee houses also erected... hope they last.

Surprised the bee hives are still there. Optimism over experience with a lot of these things.[/QUOTE]

Couple of bee houses at the end of Ross Rd too, near the carpark. I didn't think they'd last but 2 weeks later, they are still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

That feckin automated voice message thing they've installed on The Prom is a nuisance, has frightened the crap out of me twice recently.

• Advertisement

jpb1974 wrote: »
    That feckin automated voice message thing they've installed on The Prom is a nuisance, has frightened the crap out of me twice recently.

Haven't heard it - whats its saying? Hope its in a Wexford town accent with hun at the end!!!

Haven't heard it - whats its saying? Hope its in a Wexford town accent with hun at the end!!!

In short - maintain social distancing, clean up your dog poop. It seems to be motion activated, so you're pottering along and next thing this voice comes out of nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Its an Enniscorthy thread, GAA is a huge part of life in the town, as are other sporting interests, and other interests, ive no interest in Hockey for example but if the hockey club are going well and people want to talk about it who am i to ask people to take it elsewhere cos ive no interest in it??

In fairness like!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

On another note altogether, don't know if anybody else has to start thinking of Santa-related matters around this time of year, but I somehow missed the launch of this a couple of weeks ago:
    https://www.santasenchantedcastle.ie/

It looks good, and fair play to all involved for adapting to the current situation and organising this differently this year. But my problem is the only dates left available are the opening weekend (probably a little too early for a Santa visit), and the very last day (December 23rd - probably too late!).

No indication on the Kilcannon website or FB page if they're doing Santa this year, and Wells House (where we went last year) is not doing it either. Can anyone recommend anywhere else in the area?

Apologies if I should have started another thread for Enniscorthy parenting issues, or Enniscorthy Christmas questions. ;)

Apologies if I should have started another thread for Enniscorthy parenting issues, or Enniscorthy Christmas questions. ;)

You're good at stirring I'll give you that :)

• Advertisement

Ah, couldn't resist that one. But I'll leave it at that. Promise! Think it's clear anyway that most here are in favour of talk being allowed on any subject at all, so long as it's related to Enniscorthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Duffry Goat

Bit disappointed with Homestores. Looks like a glorified discount store. But, on the other hand, the cathedral has fixed the clock.....and about time!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 munstermolly

Just wondering does anyone know who were the owners of the Portsmouth Arms in Enniscorthy in 1911? Looking for information about John and Molly Cosgrove who lived in that area and may have owned the Hotel in 1911?

Bit disappointed with Homestores. Looks like a glorified discount store. But, on the other hand, the cathedral has fixed the clock.....and about time!

To be fair at least it brings a bit of foot fall to that area again which can only be a good thing.

Rightly or wrongly it will attract more people in so that’s a positive.

Just wondering does anyone know who were the owners of the Portsmouth Arms in Enniscorthy in 1911? Looking for information about John and Molly Cosgrove who lived in that area and may have owned the Hotel in 1911?

I think it may have been owned by the Bennett family . There is a reference to a "John Bennett, proprietor of the Portsmouth Arms Hotel" in this article about the now defunct Echo.

https://www.pressreader.com/ireland/enniscorthy-guardian/20170704/283742724203698

paulaa wrote: »
    I think it may have been owned by the Bennett family . I'll try to find more information for you

Hi I did a bit more digging and it was The Railway Hotel 28 Templeshannon Portsmouth was no 31. Thanks so much would appreciate any information you can find

Hi I did a bit more digging and it was The Railway Hotel 28 Templeshannon Portsmouth was no 31. Thanks so much would appreciate any information you can find

I remember the Railway Hotel but I don't know who owned it. As a child I remember it always being packed with cattle dealers and farmers on Fair Day in town. There was no Mart at that time and the animals were brought into town and bought and sold on the streets.

There is a Facebook group you might be interested in and who might be able to give you more information than here.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/fjkeenan

Thanks very much for your memories. I found that Facebook page last night so hopefully

Just walked over foot bridge on The Prom... aside from the usual rot and decay, there's now a full-blown hole in one of the laths where you can enjoy the river view below.

The repair work on other areas is shocking, a metal plate on a rotting lath is still a rotting lath.

Just walked over foot bridge on The Prom... aside from the usual rot and decay, there's now a full-blown hole in one of the laths where you can enjoy the river view below.

The repair work on other areas is shocking, a metal plate on a rotting lath is still a rotting lath.

Noticed last week Its terrible. And its slippy at points there. I reported it to the council - haven't heard a thing back.

• Advertisement

Photo of hole beside a size 10 shoe for scale

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭blindsider

Looks like that wood hasn't been treated for years.

"Wow, a hole....I wonder how that happened?"

:mad:

Yeah, looks pretty neglected all right. I'd be concerned that the hole is a warning sign of even worse things to come if nothing is done, to the extent that the bridge would eventually become unsafe to walk on at all.

Its rotting away pretty much everywhere you look. Other holes have had metal plates put over them.

It's a highly functional piece of infrastructure and one of the better spends in the past 10 years. Just another victim of an almost 0 maintenance and upkeep budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Its rotting away pretty much everywhere you look. Other holes have had metal plates put over them.

It's a highly functional piece of infrastructure and one of the better spends in the past 10 years. Just another victim of an almost 0 maintenance and upkeep budget.

Those metal plates will hold the moisture I imagine and make it rot even faster. With the added bonus of not being able to see what you're walking on.

Doesn't look like a big job or even very costly to replace those boards?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 BernardJohnson

If they replaced the wood with composite boards, they would last for a very long time, and look really good. (And crucially for Enniscorthy they're non-maintenance)

Not to mention the fact that you can also buy (non slip) composite boards...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 FamousDave

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Better still I'll stop posting altogether and let the thread disappear up its own arse.

He actually did it, the absolute madman.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭blindsider

:D Come back DelMonte - we miss you!

I’ve seen a couple of recommendations for a coffee shop down at the bus stop in town.

Is that actually in the bus stop shop?

• Advertisement

the kelt wrote: »
    I’ve seen a couple of recommendations for a coffee shop down at the bus stop in town.

Is that actually in the bus stop shop?

Yep, it is.

https://btwenty7.ie/

Advertisement