Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Why cant anything be done about the abandonment parking at the BOI cash machine? I'm waiting for the day when Mr. J "exaggerate everything" Gahan will be on the radio saying there has been a serious accident down there. I was walking past there last Saturday and cars were parked back to the corner, all on the double yellow line that goes nearly to the super-value door, and the buses and lorries coming round the corner inches away from the cars. But sure as with everything, nothing Will be done until an accident happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

MJ23 wrote: »
    Why cant anything be done about the abandonment parking at the BOI cash machine? I'm waiting for the day when Mr. J "exaggerate everything" Gahan will be on the radio saying there has been a serious accident down there. I was walking past there last Saturday and cars were parked back to the corner, all on the double yellow line that goes nearly to the super-value door, and the buses and lorries coming round the corner inches away from the cars. But sure as with everything, nothing Will be done until an accident happens.
    IMO the double yellow lines should be removed and replaced with a drop off area for honest bank machine users. It's a dead handy spot to park for that bank but the threat of a ticket makes me think twice about parking there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

IMO the double yellow lines should be removed and replaced with a drop off area for honest bank machine users

Sure it already is a drop off area for 'honest' bank users that are to lazy to park nearby (e.g. down by the dry cleaners) and walk to the machine.

There should be no parking here at all in my opinion... it's a planning disaster already with a nearby roundabout and a zebra crossing right on the corner. Then a line of cars parked right beside it mean that when a artic comes up they literally have to squeeze around the corner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Seems I was being overly optimistic about the seat outside the Council offices as it has been replaced by a shed - possibly part of Santa's workshops? Anyway, I'm off to Paddy Power to see what odds he's offering on the seat being returned without being repainted.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Looks like another shop to close on Rafter Street,a for sale sign has gone up outside DV8.
    As for parking at BOI-anyone who is lazy & dumb enough to park there should be instantly fined or towed,the same as outside the Credit Union.Where else in the world would you see people parking on a corner or a roundabout??

• Advertisement

zerks wrote: »
    Looks like another shop to close on Rafter Street,a for sale sign has gone up outside DV8.
    As for parking at BOI-anyone who is lazy & dumb enough to park there should be instantly fined or towed,the same as outside the Credit Union.Where else in the world would you see people parking on a corner or a roundabout??
    There is plenty of space there outside the credit union. Even with 2 cars side by side going into each lane, you would comfortably fit 2/3 parking bays outside there. Why does its seem like they are trying to make life more difficult for motorists when it could be made so much simpler.

The one place that does annoy me however is at the front of new dunnes stores. Cars everywhere, barely enough room for 1 car at the best of times.

TheChevron wrote: »
    There is plenty of space there outside the credit union. Even with 2 cars side by side going into each lane, you would comfortably fit 2/3 parking bays outside there. Why does its seem like they are trying to make life more difficult for motorists when it could be made so much simpler.

The one place that does annoy me however is at the front of new dunnes stores. Cars everywhere, barely enough room for 1 car at the best of times.

I agree about Dunnes although I've parked there sometimes(evening times only)

There is no parking at the Credit Union allowed,just people are too lazy to park nearby outside the L&N and WALK!! over the street.Would you drive to Blackstoops and leave your car parked on the roundabout because there's 2 lanes and people should be able to drive around you.
    There's actually another merging lane onto that roundabout at the Credit Union coming up from Slaney Place where cars have to move into the wrong lane to avoid parked cars plus it obscures drivers view of the pedestrian crossing-how many traffic offences are committed by abandoning cars outside the Credit Union?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 trevr

Thats property is/was owned by the Byrne group so it would be more of a reflection of that situation than a reflection on the business of it's current tennant.....

trevr wrote: »
    Thats property is/was owned by the Byrne group so it would be more of a reflection of that situation than a reflection on the business of it's current tennant.....

Thought that was odd alright,that shop seems to be doing ok,they'd be pretty unhappy if they lost a premises but I suppose it's a reflection of the situation that Byrnes are in and not the tenant.

The new local link bus service for Enniscorthy is up and running as of today.

Didn't even know there was one planned until I saw the bus today with the posters on it.A welcome addition to the town though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

Was mentioned in the papers a few weeks ago, councillors didn't like it because there are apparently enough taxis in the town already

klong wrote: »
    Was mentioned in the papers a few weeks ago, councillors didn't like it because there are apparently enough taxis in the town already

Shows how often I read the local papers,did the councillors not take into consideration those who can't afford to pay taxi fares regularly.The local link in Wexford seems to be doing well and brings shoppers into the town more often than they'd normally venture.Hopefully this will happen here.

Hate to be so down on Enniscorthy but it's depressing seeing so few souls wandering around the town in the lead up to Christmas.Everyone I know has headed elsewhere to shop.

I was in Wexford yesterday so killed 2 birds with the one stone and headed to the Main Street to pick up some gifts.The place was chockablock.Heading back through Enniscorthy a short while later and it was like a ghost town.

Sadly I predict there will be a good few shops closing their doors in January especially if this trend continues.I couldn't get the stuff I wanted in Enniscorthy and so had to go elsewhere.

Why do they urge us to shop local when most of the stuff we want isn't available or vastly overpriced?

Heard some alarming news today about the possible closure of Supervalu - after Christmas - but probably only a rumour.

Heard some alarming news today about the possible closure of Supervalu - after Christmas - but probably only a rumour.

That rumour's been going around a while now,it seems Pettits is now the main store in the town now,the one down the town is getting quieter & quieter.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Ian7

great...another empty supermarket sized building in the town who's owners probably won't let any prospective competition near the place. Just thinking about the old Dunnes Stores building. There's times when I wish the council had powers to acquire empty buildings especially if its owners refuse to put pen to paper with possible occupants.

They should acquire Murphy Floods for something more substantial than a feckin car-park too instead of giving rent to Enniscorthy's own Mr. Burns. bahh.

Ian7 wrote: »
    great...another empty supermarket sized building in the town who's owners probably won't let any prospective competition near the place. Just thinking about the old Dunnes Stores building. There's times when I wish the council had powers to acquire empty buildings especially if its owners refuse to put pen to paper with possible occupants.

They should acquire Murphy Floods for something more substantial than a feckin car-park too instead of giving rent to Enniscorthy's own Mr. Burns. bahh.

The proposed development of a shopping centre on the grounds of the L&N was one of the reasons why an out of town outlet was turned down.That shopping centre will never be built with the economy in such a state.

The usual bollix that we get in this town,lots and lots of empty promises and even more empty buildings.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

The proposed development of a shopping centre on the grounds of the L&N was one of the reasons why an out of town outlet was turned down.That shopping centre will never be built with the economy in such a state.

The usual bollix that we get in this town,lots and lots of empty promises and even more empty buildings.

Its not a proposed development, the land owners over in that area came together and tried to force Tesco or someone else to acquire their land and build the development there as oppose to Blackstoops. These guys are not proposing anything except that someone else stump up the cash and pay a premium for their "site" and then the cash to develop it. These guys objected to the Blackstoops development on the grounds their site was better.

The entire Abbey Sq site is dead, and the Supervalu has been massively under performing for years - even duting the boom.

Ian7 wrote: »

A staggering €50,000 per annum according to the Guardian today! Guess what, the Council are losing money on it. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

A staggering €50,000 per annum according to the Guardian today! Guess what, the Council are losing money on it. :rolleyes:

It just brilliant the Guy who owns the Building/Carpark gets Fined from the council for having a derelict building there in the 1st place then he knocks the building turns the site into a car park and now the council are paying him rent. It just goes to show people the way Enniscorthy is been Managed by the council. Brilliant. Brilliant

• Advertisement

sundula wrote: »
    Its not a proposed development, the land owners over in that area came together and tried to force Tesco or someone else to acquire their land and build the development there as oppose to Blackstoops. These guys are not proposing anything except that someone else stump up the cash and pay a premium for their "site" and then the cash to develop it. These guys objected to the Blackstoops development on the grounds their site was better.

The entire Abbey Sq site is dead, and the Supervalu has been massively under performing for years - even duting the boom.

As far as I can remember (it's in this thread somewhere) the whole development plan was more a case of "it's our playground,take your toys somewhere else" than the landowners wanting Tesco to redevelop the site,that would never happen with Supervalu being the existing anchor tennant.Maybe if they(Supervalu) do close the store then someone would step in and develop the whole site.

The council & vested interests in the town used this planned shopping centre as a stick to beat down the plans for the Blackstoops development,seems they had no real interest in actually building the damn thing in Abbey Square.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Ian7

I just puked a little

The new clothes shop beside Donohoes Pub didn't last long,premises for rent signs in the window today.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

As far as I can remember (it's in this thread somewhere) the whole development plan was more a case of "it's our playground,take your toys somewhere else" than the landowners wanting Tesco to redevelop the site,that would never happen with Supervalu being the existing anchor tennant.Maybe if they(Supervalu) do close the store then someone would step in and develop the whole site.

The council & vested interests in the town used this planned shopping centre as a stick to beat down the plans for the Blackstoops development,seems they had no real interest in actually building the damn thing in Abbey Square.

No, your wrong, land owners of the Abbey site and adjoining lands got to together and pushed the their site as being the ideal and ultimatly the only suitable site for any shopping centre type development. Some of the objectors to planning of the Blackstoop Development are owners of Abbey Sq. site. Its not that they specifically wanted Tescos to buy the site, they didnt want Tescos in town but if they were coming then they wanted to force them to buy their site.

sundula wrote: »
    No, your wrong, land owners of the Abbey site and adjoining lands got to together and pushed the their site as being the ideal and ultimatly the only suitable site for any shopping centre type development. Some of the objectors to planning of the Blackstoop Development are owners of Abbey Sq. site. Its not that they specifically wanted Tescos to buy the site, they didnt want Tescos in town but if they were coming then they wanted to force them to buy their site.

Thanks for clearing that up,bet we still won't ever see it built though,plus the place floods.

The new clothes shop beside Donohoes Pub didn't last long,premises for rent signs in the window today.
    I think its just a display for another shop in town.

TheChevron wrote: »
    I think its just a display for another shop in town.

They had a shop up & running in it,strange choice of location though.Plus there's God knows how many womens shops in the town,how many more do we need?

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Zerks it was never the woman's intention to keep it open. She works from home selling clothes and decided to move some of her stock {maybe older stock}to a shop outlet in the run up to Christmas.

Walking around the town this morning and the council must have cancelled the street cleaning over Christmas - rubbish, broken glass and dog excrement everywhere. Several shops had their locks interfered with since Christmas Eve and 'My Sports' on Castle had its window broken.

Meanwhile this from todays' Enniscorthy Guardian..

Enniscorthy%2BGuardian.JPG

Organ grinder and monkey comes to mind! I had an ongoing problem with my Dunnes Valu Club vouchers which local management couldn't cope with - I wrote to Margaret Heffernan (CEO Dunnes) and within a week things were resolved to my satisfaction. I wonder did the councillors also ask Fred, the goods inward man, if he could solve the problems at the old Dunnes Stores premises? :rolleyes:

Here's Mrs.Heffernan's address in case anyone from the council visits Boards.

Dunnes Stores Head Office,
    46 - 50 South Great George's Street,
    Dublin.2.

• Advertisement

Looks like the court house is no more according to the local press.

Well that was money well spent on the upgrading work:rolleyes:

Advertisement