Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Duffry Goat

Looks like preparations are being made for a Christmas Market just outside the Council offices in Market Square.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Duffry Goat

I have noticed some cars in town with odd registrations like CI Wex and WX 4D. Anyone any idea what they are?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Looks like preparations are being made for a Christmas Market just outside the Council offices in Market Square.

See that in the Market Sq. hopefully there'll be something nice there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Walking down The Prom and it struck me that the ground works for the technology park seem to be taking an eternity... couple of years now, is it?

Daft voice warning yoke is gone, congrats to all involved on that decision.

Foot bridge is in a terrible state, side barrier starting to break so they've tie wrapped a steel barrier to it... health and safety at it's finest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Coming back over the foot bridge and two blokes in high vis vests and paperwork under their arms inspecting the bridge.

I greeted them and asked "were they health and safety?" and they politely smiled and said nothing. I then let them know what I thought about the state of the bridge and went upon my way. All polite and cordial.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

jpb1974 wrote: »
    Coming back over the foot bridge and two blokes in high vis vests and paperwork under their arms inspecting the bridge.

I greeted them and asked "were they health and safety?" and they politely smiled and said nothing. I then let them know what I thought about the state of the bridge and went upon my way. All polite and cordial.

We have a poor record with bridges. Hopefully the next one's will be better designed.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭trigger26

jpb1974 wrote: »
    Walking down The Prom and it struck me that the ground works for the technology park seem to be taking an eternity... couple of years now, is it?

Daft voice warning yoke is gone, congrats to all involved on that decision.

Foot bridge is in a terrible state, side barrier starting to break so they've tie wrapped a steel barrier to it... health and safety at it's finest.

Yeah that park started early 2019 I think, work in StSenan's beside seems to be still ongoing, will be interesting to see how that goes next year.

trigger26 wrote: »
    Yeah that park started early 2019 I think, work in StSenan's beside seems to be still ongoing, will be interesting to see how that goes next year.

Arent one of the financial firms supposed to be going in there, eventually

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭trigger26

Yeah Opus was the company mentioned, think they were going to use court house in town till new offices built in the park. Wonder if the pandemic will curb the demand for new office space, hopefully not.

New Lidl is fantastic, really happy that its open again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭blindsider

Was in Lidl yesterday. It's a big store. Biggest Lidl I've been in. Well stocked etc so good to see.

How long before Aldi do sth. similar?

Pettitts and Dunnes must be concerned....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

blindsider wrote: »
    Was in Lidl yesterday. It's a big store. Biggest Lidl I've been in. Well stocked etc so good to see.

For what it's worth, my Mam lives in Enniscorthy & I'm in Carlow & when I'm down I visit the ALDI; it's much more modern than the one I use here; more aisles, longer, wider, better stocked & better laid out.

So unsure it needs an upgrade?

Am impressed by quick turnaround by LIDL; they only started demolition in what, March sometime was/n't it?

German efficiency right there.

Petitts/SV has become so dated; I think the franchise needs a rebranding & Dunnes in town? Gone very staid but other than some minor internal renovations hard know what can be done; least Dunnes've a decent jacks upstairs; neither LIDL, ALDI (or Petitts I think?) have one ha ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭cython

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    For what it's worth, my Mam lives in Enniscorthy & I'm in Carlow & when I'm down I visit the ALDI; it's much more modern than the one I use here; more aisles, longer, wider, better stocked & better laid out.

So unsure it needs an upgrade?

Am impressed by quick turnaround by LIDL; they only started demolition in what, March sometime was/n't it?

German efficiency right there.

Petitts/SV has become so dated; I think the franchise needs a rebranding & Dunnes in town? Gone very staid but other than some minor internal renovations hard know what can be done; least Dunnes've a decent jacks upstairs; neither LIDL, ALDI (or Petitts I think?) have one ha ha!

I don't think it was even that long ago. I'm not living in the town any more, but from what I've heard from family, the first lockdown kicked in a week or two before they were due to start the works, and given that construction wasn't an essential activity at the time they kept the store open through that lockdown.

It seems they commenced work in early June (lifted from an earlier post here: https://wexfordtoday.com/2020/06/04/major-development-of-lidl-store-in-enniscorthy/), so at that rate they got it done in under 6 months, which as you say is efficient to say the least!

• blindsider wrote: »

Dunnes, maybe. Pettitts? Unlikely. They have their usuals who won’t go anywhere else I assure you of that. Tesco could open next door and it wouldn’t drastically affect them.

Cant see Aldi doing anything like that for a while anyway, since it’s not too long ago they renovated the store to bring in that new modern design. (Which I hate, but that’s just me!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

For what it's worth, it's been five years since Lidl renovated and revamped its store in Gorey, in much the same way they've done in Enniscorthy. Aldi in Gorey hasn't changed since that time. So Aldi might not be in a hurry to do anything in Enniscorthy either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭blindsider

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/aldi-jobs-ireland-new-stores-22585900

The interwebz is great isn't it? 5 mins search give me the above link.

Aldi have 143 stores in Ireland - 96 have been revamped under Project Fresh.

TBH I'm just glad that we have so much choice in retail now - no more being ripped off on basic items.

The Aldi/Lidl co-location (or nearly) works v well in Enniscorthy too.

That reminds me - must do a bit of shopping ;-)

The Lidl store was initially supposed to be about half as big again,but was curtailed by planning.

Afraid it might detract from the town centre apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

It's a pity really, given that the CIE Tours busses stop there as well as the Expressway busses. This 'gateway' could be cleaned up without much effort and at minimal cost. And it was beautiful there by the river in the sun. Such a shame about the surroundings. Although those who scattered their rubbish must also carry the can.

Literally

• I see gadget technology have moved to castle street!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

I see gadget technology have moved to castle street!

Is that the place in market square or place at the bridge

• Advertisement

Is that the place in market square or place at the bridge

The bridge

• Is that the place in market square or place at the bridge

Neither, castle street :pac:

They’re the ones at the bridge yeah! Best of the luck with the new store to them anwyay! Always found they two chaps in there are both nice to deal with

Free parking in Carlow and Kilkenny from today I think.

Any chance the council encourage folk to stay in Wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Decoda

kneemos wrote: »
    Free parking in Carlow and Kilkenny from today I think.

Any chance the council encourage folk to stay in Wexford.

??? We're not supposed to travel outside of Wexford until the 18th.....what more encouragement do we need?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Anyone know what pubs are open in town now since the return to level 3?

• the kelt wrote: »
    Anyone know what pubs are open in town now since the return to level 3?

Don’t think many bothered, think the hotels did. I had heard in work Rackards isn’t anyway, said it’s not worth the hassle.

The Bailey is about it I think.

• The Bailey is about it I think.

they’ve been open more or less constantly! Wonder if they’re operating the bar though. From what I can gather even some gastro pubs are choosing to stay closed because there’s too much hassle dealing with customers who just want the drink on the sly without meals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

In my local area there has been a spate of recent arson attacks.

Small stuff, abandoned house set on fire, abandoned car, tree house in woods, benches in woods etc. All in same locality around same time.

Just as a matter of interest have any other areas surrounding enniscorthy being subject to similar issues lately?

• Advertisement

• Has anyone been to the Santa village in the square? Wondering if it’s worth the money and time?

Advertisement