Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

kneemos wrote: »
    If anyone associated with tarmac allocation reads this, would ye ever throw a bit at the Old Dublin Road? Hard to find a bit of road in a worse condition anywhere.

Out of the car wash, straight into a big hole of sh!tty water :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

The reaction from all sides re the hurling discussion was OTT. If the discussion was about the hockey club, or the history of the rugby club, what about it? I have no interest in many sports but it is no harm to occasionally read about them.

If the discussion had been about, I dunno Rathnure and Cloughban GAA clubs, I could see why somebody would say it should have its own thread. But a discussion of the history between Rapps and Shamrocks was at least relevant to the town and the thread.

I have seen the poster posting elsewhere so I can assume he is OK. He is a loss to the thread in my view and would be welcomed back like the prodigal son.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 FamousDave

I hAtE iT wHeN wE fIgHt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭paulaa

the kelt wrote: »
    Yet it’s ok to tell others discussing the town what they can and cant talk about simply because they know nothing about a subject and don’t want to know?

It’s actually people not opening their minds a little to live and let live that have held the town back, people who just want more of the same, nothing different for discussion, a prime example being shop owners who would rather see shops and streets boarded up “because they dont want to know” about other business and interests etc, just go elsewhere?

Sound familiar ?

I don't recall anyone "tell others discussing the town what they can and cant talk about ". A simple question was asked and the poster was immediately attacked as usual . Someone even complained about the post of the new floodlights at the Church of Ireland being vandalised .

I agree with you about the shops. It's their protecting their own businesses over the decades to the detriment of the town's commercial life. The life has gone out of the town and left a sad lifeless place with little to recommend it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

paulaa wrote: »
    I don't recall anyone "tell others discussing the town what they can and cant talk about ". A simple question was asked and the poster was immediately attacked as usual .

The "simple question" that was asked implied that it was out of order to discuss an Enniscorthy-related topic that was of interest to at least some people either from or connected to Enniscorthy, in a thread that's simply titled "Enniscorthy". Also, I disagree with the assertion that the poster was attacked. I think he was just answered.

And as for this one....
    Theres nothing interesting about this thread. I hope you don't mind me asking but do you write many novels ?

:)

Let me reply with a :) too.

When you mention novels, do you mean I was writing fiction there, or is it just a remark about the length of the post? Hey, I type fast.....!

Anyway, with all due respect, if you really think there's nothing interesting about this thread, you know the choices you have yourself. Though I do recall this earlier post from you:
    I enjoyed the GAA chat , having been brought up with a grandfather who made most of the hurls for the local clubs and the Wexford county teams through the 40's,50's, 60's and on until he passed away.

I suppose enjoyable isn't necessarily the same thing as interesting, but there you go anyway.....

• Advertisement

I don't recall anyone "tell others discussing the town what they can and cant talk about ". A simple question was asked and the poster was immediately attacked as usual . Someone even complained about the post of the new floodlights at the Church of Ireland being vandalised .

I agree with you about the shops. It's their protecting their own businesses over the decades to the detriment of the town's commercial life. The life has gone out of the town and left a sad lifeless place with little to recommend it.

Did someone complain or go as far as telling people to start a separate thread about it because they didnt have any interest in it? And as for attacking.. really!

Anyway no one is stopping anyone from posting, he threw a strop because he didnt want people talking about GAA, it was literally only that week that ive seen the thread be about GAA, why the big meltdown?

Sure we all spit the dummy over silly thing every now and again, lifes too short, move on!

The "simple question" that was asked implied that it was out of order to discuss an Enniscorthy-related topic that was of interest to at least some people either from or connected to Enniscorthy, in a thread that's simply titled "Enniscorthy". Also, I disagree with the assertion that the poster was attacked. I think he was just answered.

And as for this one....

Let me reply with a :) too.

When you mention novels, do you mean I was writing fiction there, or is it just a remark about the length of the post? Hey, I type fast.....!

Anyway, with all due respect, if you really think there's nothing interesting about this thread, you know the choices you have yourself. Though I do recall this earlier post from you:

I suppose enjoyable isn't necessarily the same thing as interesting, but there you go anyway.....

It's a matter of opinion as to what constitutes an attack. I say he was attacked and you disagree. That's democracy for you.

:) was to show that my remark was tongue in cheek and with all due respect, you are inclined to write long posts. That is your prerogative and it's mine to pass comment on them if I wish. Or not as the case may be.

As to whether the thread is interesting or not , in the last couple of weeks there were barely any posts. Perhaps you call that interesting , I don't.

I'm flattered you went to the trouble of seeking out my posts and got a couple of cheerleaders in the process :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

It's a matter of opinion as to what constitutes an attack. I say he was attacked and you disagree. That's democracy for you.

Its not really - an attack is something visceral that happened. Its a factual thing, not an opinion.

Its not really - an attack is something visceral that happened. Its a factual thing, not an opinion.

The fact is that someone was made to feel that they were not wanted on this forum by a coterie of members and left because of that. That is a fact no matter what way you try to dress it up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Could we not have a Enniscorthy GAA thread and keep this thread for everyday stuff?

Personally I enjoyed the GAA discussion. Unimpressed with the behaviour of the pseudo mods.

Assuming I'm the pseudo mod - didn't mean to be - but surely one of you could start a thread for all the GAA stuff. I know nothing about the GAA and don't want to.

By that logic, why don't you start a separate thread for your photos?

"Enniscorthy" is the thread title... the town's sporting history is relevant and significant, people have the right to discuss it.

Better still I'll stop posting altogether and let the thread disappear up its own arse.

• Advertisement

Essentially that's how it played out ^^^

In the midst of all this, another individual was posting the usual non-constructive comments regarding the GAA discussion also. That person was liking Del Monte's posts and vice versa regarding the matter. So, by your logic, the contributors involved in the GAA discussion would have also felt ganged up on and unwanted, correct?

If one individual liking another individual's post is an issue then I suggest you report it to the forum moderator(s).

The fact is that someone was made to feel that they were not wanted on this forum by a coterie of members and left because of that. That is a fact no matter what way you try to dress it up

Emm apart from the fact that’s not what happened at all.

Basically within 9 hours on one day a poster went from wanting an enniscorthy gaa thread set up to leave this for everyday stuff to saying surely you could just start a gaa thread because “I know nothing about the gaa and don’t want to” to throwing a childish strop

“Better still I'll stop posting altogether and let the thread disappear up its own arse.”

Within that 9 hours people basically said why shouldn’t they be allowed talk about GAA in an Enniscorthy forum, others said they enjoyed it, others said make it stop and one fella talked about a convicted paedo moving into the town! Following your logic the other posters who wanted it to stop were attacked also and the posters who liked the posts asking for gaa talk to stop were attacking others who had no issue with and enjoyed the gaa talk....like you... did you feel attacked?

They left because they had a strop one day because they didn’t want people talking about GAA. It because of anything else.

It’s all there in black and white, page 475, they left because they didn’t get their own way and didn’t like GAA talk, to try and claim anything else is ridiculous

the kelt wrote: »
    It’s all there in black and white, page 475, they left because they didn’t get their own way and didn’t like GAA talk, to try and claim anything else is ridiculous

I would agree with this assessment.

For anyone really interested in Wexford GAA here is a link to it's own thread.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057691160&page=13

It's a pity that it has been so neglected. Not even those who profess to be interested in Wexford GAA have posted in it for over 2 months.

jpb1974 wrote: »
    I would agree with this assessment.

I don't and I will stick by my assertion that the poster was made to feel unwanted and left. You can dress it up any way you want but that is the simple fact.

Do you have any interesting news about Enniscorthy or are you going to keep flogging a dead horse ?

• it’s a bit childish, IMO, to not have people share your opinion and just abandon a thread, but not as childish as it is to fight about who fault it is.

Would you all grow up a bit? None of that has anything to do with the thread title, one which you’re all so hell bent to use to give righteousness to your argument.

it’s a bit childish, IMO, to not have people share your opinion and just abandon a thread, but not as childish as it is to fight about who fault it is.

Would you all grow up a bit? None of that has anything to do with the thread title, one which you’re all so hell bent to use to give righteousness to your argument.

Blessed are the peacemakers :D

For anyone really interested in Wexford GAA here is a link to it's own thread.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057691160&page=13

It's a pity that it has been so neglected. Not even those who profess to be interested in Wexford GAA have posted in it for over 2 months.

It's true that the thread you give there isn't exactly active, unlike many other counties. But most online Wexford GAA discussion takes place in another online forum instead:
    https://www.hoganstand.com/Wexford/Forum

You can see that's still fairly active, even during lockdown and at a time of year when there'd never be many games played anyway. In fact, it's one of the most active of all counties. I'm regularly on there myself, but under a different user name.

Anyway, will stop this post now. Want to try keep it short enough for ya! :D

It's true that the thread you give there isn't exactly active, unlike many other counties. But most online Wexford GAA discussion takes place in another online forum instead:

You can see that's still fairly active, even during lockdown and at a time of year when there'd never be many games played anyway. In fact, it's one of the most active of all counties. I'm regularly on there myself, but under a different user name.

Anyway, will stop this post now. Want to try keep it short enough for ya! :D

lol Thanks very much .

I'm not a member but I often dip in and out of that forum.

I don't and I will stick by my assertion that the poster was made to feel unwanted and left. You can dress it up any way you want but that is the simple fact.

It certainly is a dead horse when what was an opinion, suddenly becomes a fact... no point in trying to have a rationale debate with someone who wants to cherry pick what points they address and switch the terms of discussion at a whim.

I said it once and I'll say it again.. if individuals pressing the like button on a post where a difference of opinion is stated is grounds for an attack, then by all means report it to the forum moderators. Please do factor in the posts that were liked that were calling for people to take their discussion elsewhere.

• Advertisement

:D

A Hoganstand member too, but don't post often...

There is some good info and perspectives from time to time that are really useful... I enjoy the match reports and info on what's going on with clubs around the county, but the expert panel selections, tactics, strength and condition stuff from all the non experts is too much (edit) for me (edit).

Worst of all... a couple of hours for your post to be published, if you're lucky :D

There is some good info and perspectives from time to time that are really useful... I enjoy the match reports and info on what's going on with clubs around the county, but the expert panel selections, tactics, strength and condition stuff from all the non experts is too much.

Worst of all... a couple of hours for your post to be published, if your lucky :D

Didn’t realise there was as many here that posted there also.

Now that’s enough Wexford gaa talk, back to the potholes!

Genuine question though anyone have an ideas why the COVID seems to have exploded in the enniscorthy area?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

There is some good info and perspectives from time to time that are really useful... I enjoy the match reports and info on what's going on with clubs around the county, but the expert panel selections, tactics, strength and condition stuff from all the non experts is too much.

Worst of all... a couple of hours for your post to be published, if your lucky :D
    but aren't those the points of those forums? People having an actual opinion

but aren't those the points of those forums? People having an actual opinion

Yes they are. Maybe my post should read "too much for me", I added a little edit to avoid any confusion.

I enjoy some chatter and the other stuff doesn't interest me. Kinda like this forum, people discuss stuff that does and does not interest me and I opt to tune in and out accordingly. No harm done.

An example being the Wexford Covid 19 thread... I've no interest, I feel oversaturated with Covid info, I don't keep up with it, I don't contribute to it... but others are interested and contribute, so its all good :)

An example being the Wexford Covid 19 thread... I've no interest, I feel oversaturated with Covid info, I don't keep up with it, I don't contribute to it... but others are interested and contribute, so its all good :)

I take it you're not actually suggesting that anybody posting about Covid in this Enniscorthy thread should just shag off and post it in another thread instead? :D

I take it you're not actually suggesting that anybody posting about Covid in this Enniscorthy thread should just shag off and post it in another thread instead? :D

Ha, absolutely not :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Duffry Goat

As Covid cases have risen locally, do you now hear of people you know getting the virus ot dying from it?

Just enough snow last night for everyone to get their thrill. Beautiful down along by the banks of The Slaney this morning, the dogs loved it.

Snow-Munchkins.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Just enough snow last night for everyone to get their thrill. Beautiful down along by the banks of The Slaney this morning, the dogs loved it.

Snow-Munchkins.jpg

Can we have a separate forum for pics, please :p:P:)

Lovely photo - was out for a walk about 7am this morning to the grave yard, and was really beautiful

• Advertisement

Can we have a separate forum for pics, please :p:P:)

We need a separate forum for separate forum requests :p

Advertisement