Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭mccarte2

Town Development Officer - Mairead Linneen (053) 925 9315 - although she is relatively new to the job and did not set-up the site. I did give corrections for the entire site for the first time in July 2011 - big wheels move exceedingly slowly. Note the seats still missing from the Market Square - two months since they were removed for Santa's workshop!
    When I met her last July she told that she had somebody working for her that was going to revamp the website.

I know her so if you want to PM me any info I can make sure it actually gets to her? Just an offer rather than having your work going to waste. Fairly sure she only started the job in May or June last year so things may have changed or certain things taken out of her control.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

mccarte2 wrote: »
    I know her so if you want to PM me any info I can make sure it actually gets to her? Just an offer rather than having your work going to waste. Fairly sure she only started the job in May or June last year so things may have changed or certain things taken out of her control.

Thanks but I had an hour long meeting with her last July and handed her a hard copy of my corrections. Incidentally, I found her a very pleasant individual to deal with but be that as it may, nothing resulted from my meeting or subsequent emails. After dealing with CIE/Bord Failte/Heritage Council etc and numerous politicians for more than three decades I'm well used to it by now but it doesn't make it any less wearing. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Ian7

When I met her last July she told that she had somebody working for her that was going to revamp the website.

So is this elusive web master still working for her? @ mccarte2, can you find this out?

Some forms were changed on the Enniscorthy town council website yesterday to the updated versions. They obviously have someone that is capable of working with websites so if all we're talking about are typing errors, text omissions, and removing names of closed down shops then I can't see why this can't be done or hasn't been done sooner.

Is it really beyond them to employ someone on a temporary basis to deal with what should essentially be the first port of call for any anybody searching for info on Enniscorthy. It's simple and at the same time essential.

Tell me this web site wasn't designed as a school project - a poor one at that. They can't even spell the name of the county with a capital W and as for the sentence construction. If you click on the 'How to get here' link you might expect train and bus info but all you get is a map......:rolleyes:

Enniscorthy%2BTourism.JPG

http://enniscorthytourism.com/categories/things_to_see-12.html

"Enniscorthy-the way of having fun-we've got living it up down to a fine art."

Sounds like the development was out-sourced to China. You know that place where our new paving blocks on Rafter street came from.

• Advertisement

http://www.graphedia.ie/ are the website designers and therein lies the source of the problem. Have a look at some of the other websites in their portfolio. The Kilmore Quay site has many of the same sloppy errors that bedevil the Enniscorthy site. However, regardless of who made the original mistakes - why can they not be corrected?

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭'scorthy

@JD et al;

AFAIK it is the Enniscorthy Chamber, under the Presidency of Colm Neville this year, who are the movers in this web site. If you WHOIS: enniscorthytourism.com
    Registrant:
    Enniscorthy Chamber
    Enniscorthy Enterprise Centre
    Enniscorthy, Wexford EIRE
    IE
    You'll also get info on the background to the designer: John Carr
    Carr Business Centre
    Ballyhogue
    Enniscorthy, Wexford EIRE
    IE.
    http://www.webhostinganddesigns.com and http://www.web4designer.com/page7.html where you'll find a reference to enniscorthytourism.com as part of THEIR portfolio.

If you want to look even further into the htlm/css structure and W3C validation it has 11 errors and 9 warnings.

I commend the Chamber for their initiative in launching this site and I'm sure given time that all issues will be addressed. There is an Enniscorthy Tourism Group who are active and it comprises of representatives from the hotel, tourist & heritage industry, including Mairead who represents the interests of the Citizens of the Town as Development Officer. The affable & vibrant Jacqui Haynes also sits on this group and many promotional events are planned to highlight the Town as 'The' Wexford destination in 2012. I can also relate that Jacqui as Manager of the '98 Centre, Enniscorthy Castle & Tourist Office is actively seeking a 'sales & marketing' intern (FÁS - REF. INTE-662639) with a view to promoting local attractions through social media etc. Most of us are working silently behind the scenes trying to promote our great Town, its attractions, venues, businesses and its people in our own little group or individually where we should be part of a combined effort to promote & develop links and tourism and see the bigger picture. It's a beautiful Town with great character & characters, it has so much going for it that we can only be positive about its future.
    :)
    E&O.E

Well 'scorthy I appreciate all the good intentions and the work behind the scenes etc. but I believe in calling things as I see them. It does not take 6+ months to sort out basic typos etc. on a website. Wexford's Tourism site is little better and I have supplied them with corrections too! :)

'scorthy wrote: »
    I commend the Chamber for their initiative in launching this site and I'm sure given time that all issues will be addressed. There is an Enniscorthy Tourism Group who are active and it comprises of representatives from the hotel, tourist & heritage industry, including Mairead who represents the interests of the Citizens of the Town as Development Officer. The affable & vibrant Jacqui Haynes also sits on this group and many promotional events are planned to highlight the Town as 'The' Wexford destination in 2012. I can also relate that Jacqui as Manager of the '98 Centre, Enniscorthy Castle & Tourist Office is actively seeking a 'sales & marketing' intern (FÁS - REF. INTE-662639) with a view to promoting local attractions through social media etc. Most of us are working silently behind the scenes trying to promote our great Town, its attractions, venues, businesses and its people in our own little group or individually where we should be part of a combined effort to promote & develop links and tourism and see the bigger picture. It's a beautiful Town with great character & characters, it has so much going for it that we can only be positive about its future.
    :)
    E&O.E

Nicely put. The website is a good thing and a positive venture, but it's been running for almost year now with those mistakes. No one here is blaming Mairead or Jacqui either. It's just the way things are done with the council and I suppose people are afraid that the site will just fall by the wayside and remain out of date which can very easily happen. I always thought that negative comments on this site were pointless but if they get some wheels turning on what people personally deem important issues then that's a good thing too. A lot of people don't have a voice in the community, this is a good way of venting and we wouldn't be having this discussion if people here didn't care about the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭wextipp

It does not take 6+ months to sort out basic typos etc. on a website. Wexford's Tourism site is little better and I have supplied them with corrections too! :)

Why do some people get so uptight and bothered about typos. There are more important things to worry about. Too many retired teachers with too much time on their hands maybe.

• Advertisement

wextipp wrote: »
    Why do some people get so uptight and bothered about typos. There are more important things to worry about. Too many retired teachers with too much time on their hands maybe.

I'm not a retired teacher and if you care to look at the site you would see that there's far more than typos wrong with it. Still, in the Ireland of today mediocrity is the new God. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭wextipp

if you care to look at the site you would see that there's far more than typos wrong with it.

Just had a look at the site and I have to admit it is very poor. Looks like one that was created by one of these 'Create your own web-site' web-sites. While I was at it I had a look around at the othere tourism sites and the 'Visit Wexford' one is nice. http://www.visitwexford.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

More good cheer for this thread,I left my house for an appointment the other morning only to find the ENTIRE town blocked up with traffic at 11.15am,hardly rush hour.
    Found that a lorry trying to back into Dunnes Stores had managed to cause tailbacks from St.Senans hospital,Blackstoops,Bellfield,Millpark Road & Templeshannon.That's every road into the town.I ended up having to park at Springvalley and walk up the town as I couldn't even get across the bridge.

There was one Garda directing traffic at the junction by the Bailey & doing his best under the circumstances as he sent traffic around the blocked road via Irish St. which wasn't suitable for some of the trucks trying to get down it especially when people abandoned their cars on junctio boxes & double yellow lines.

Surely when the store was being built they could have come up with a better system??

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

I was stuck in the traffic jam big time on Tuesday morning I thought it was a funeral.
    I cant see why big stores or town centre shops cant have their deliveries made to them before 8am. That's right we live in IRELAND. sensible decisions are hard to come by in IRELAND.

scaller wrote: »
    I cant see why big stores or town centre shops cant have their deliveries made to them before 8am.

Them and bin lorries!

wextipp wrote: »
    Just had a look at the site and I have to admit it is very poor. Looks like one that was created by one of these 'Create your own web-site' web-sites. While I was at it I had a look around at the othere tourism sites and the 'Visit Wexford' one is nice. http://www.visitwexford.ie

I think the look of the site is ok, it's bright and airy and precise. Form follows function as they say. If they manage to find some funds in the near future for the site, then they could think about getting a fancier one with flash etc. Hell, If they gave me access to it I would update the typo's myself for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

I think that major typos and spelling mistakes, especially on the front page of a website, just highlight a general lack of quality control. If I were commissioning someone to develop a website then the first thing I'd be doing is checking and testing it personally.

But this comes as no surprise to me... I get the impression that a lot of what happens with regard to the running of the town gets signed off with no quality control whatsoever e.g. positioning of zebra crossings.

As for the Dunnes delivery entrance... well, as some of ye will already know this is a major bug bear of mine. One of the most ridiculous planning decisions in the town's history I would think.

On a positive note -

Great new (well, new to me anyway) recycling facility out the old Dublin road near Kilgannon Garden Centre. Free service which takes just about every recyclable product you can think of.

The bottle bank by Supervalu has been removed due to excess dumping... here, here on that decision.

Well done to the people of Monageer... a huge effort was put into a tidy up of all the roads in the area. Somewhere in the region of 300-400 bags on rubbish were collected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

I was stuck in the traffic jam big time on Tuesday morning I thought it was a funeral.
    I cant see why big stores or town centre shops cant have their deliveries made to them before 8am. That's right we live in IRELAND. sensible decisions are hard to come by in IRELAND.

Regard Dunnes deliveries they are on a route thats starts in Dublin first thing then moves down to the various Dunnes till they reach wexford town.

McLoughlin wrote: »
    Regard Dunnes deliveries they are on a route thats starts in Dublin first thing then moves down to the various Dunnes till they reach wexford town.

1 lorry don't deliver to all the Dunnes between Dublin and Wexford does it
    This lorry at island road in Enniscorthy that caused the big traffic jam was there around 11am.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

1 lorry don't deliver to all the Dunnes between Dublin and Wexford does it
    This lorry at island road in Enniscorthy that caused the big traffic jam was there around 11am.

Yes one lorry will delivery to the majority of Dunnes in Dublin down through Wicklow and then Wexford.

• Advertisement

It seems Enniscorthy's bottle banks have gone to join our disappearing public seating. Both bottle banks at the Super Valu carpark and the old Dunnes Stores carpark have been removed - why, and what are non-car driving citizens living in the town supposed to do with their glass? Admittedly both banks - especially the Super Valu one - were badly maintained but that is no reason for their removal. Of course the whole nonsense of glass recycling viz a vis refundable deposits on glassware needs to be examined but that's for a different forum.

BINS%2B001.JPG

It seems Enniscorthy's bottle banks have gone to join our disappearing public seating. Both bottle banks at the Super Valu carpark and the old Dunnes Stores carpark have been removed - why, and what are non-car driving citizens living in the town supposed to do with their glass? Admittedly both banks - especially the Super Valu one - were badly maintained but that is no reason for their removal. Of course the whole nonsense of glass recycling viz a vis refundable deposits on glassware needs to be examined but that's for a different forum.

BINS%2B001.JPG

JPB1974 alluded to this in one of his posts,the Council aren't responsible for these bottle banks anymore.Greenstar took them over about a year ago or so.The Council do seem to end up cleaning up the rubbish that's dumped around them by lazy feckers.Anyone I ever seen using them had a car,why couldn't they put the bags & boxes back in the boot afterwards?

I think the one at Pettits was removed ages ago.Now we have a new recycling centre for the town at Kilcannon where the stuff can be brought and left for free plus the bin companies now take glass as recycling (Wastepal do anyway)

Kilcannon is not much use to somebody living in town with no car - maybe I should get a taxi once a week - what a farce! There appear to be about half a dozen waste companies operating in the town and some days they fail to appear. Some shops stock their bags and sometimes they have them and sometimes they don't - welcome to the free market Third World. :rolleyes:

Maybe we'll get a new bottlebank in the town and it won't turn into a tip.It'd be weird not to have one with some people ala JD not having transport to drive to Kilcannon.
    Is the one out at the Ross Road carpark gone aswell?

Jd, have you tried getting in touch with Greenstar about this and what about the one at the 1798 centre? I presume that's still there?

Also, what does the piece of paper underneath the sign (at supervalu) say? Is it a notice from the company?

Yeah, I took a ramble this morning - without bottles - to the 1798 Centre and the banks are there still. The sign at Supervalu says they have been removed due to dumping and redirects you to Kilcannon, the 1798 Centre or Chapel Lane (?).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

I wasn't aware that bottle banks other than the Supervalu site had been closed at the time of my original post.

The Supervalu site was a disgrace... maybe it needed to be emptied on a more frequent basis but my gut instint tells me that a minority of public laziness and ignorance was to blame.

The Kilgannon site is supposed to be excellent according to the other half who went out there two weeks ago. You don't just show up and dump your stuff. You have to come in through a barrier and there is a very helpful gent there who will assist you in placing your recycle in the appropriate areas. So basically it is properly managed. They are taking just about everything from newspapers, cans, bottles and plastics to used cooking oil and eletrical products.

This is exactly what the town needed... and the best thing is that it's free. Up to this point I had been paying €2 a pop for Greenstar recycling bags, collected once a fortnight.

removed due to dumping

How did it end up that they have the authority to discontinue something which the council started? Surely it is in our councils interest to keep these services going by way of a sub clause in whatever deal was made with Greenstar. I really don't understand how something like this has come about. Discontinuing because of illegal dumping is just a cop out instead of finding a solution.

Oh yeah, and Chapel Lane is up past Gimont Avenue if that's what your wondering. Couldn't tell you what the bring centre is like though.

The footpath from DR Bowes down to Mahons gate all along the outside of St Aidan's school is full of dog ****. The council have been told numerous times about this. At the pedestrian crossing out side the school gate cars a parked right up on the crossing all along the double yellow lines the whole way down to Mahons Gate again the council were Informed about this their reply was that they would have to request for the Traffic warden to call up there.

• Advertisement

The town needs two on duty wardens with one dealing with problem areas at specific times.

Advertisement