Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

The council have been going up and down the lane outside our house in a 'Roadmaster' this morning.

The main part of the lane they are working on... well, lets just say you couldn't even call it a road. It's a combination of grass, muck and the remnants of a shítty surface they put down a number of years back.
    Personally I've seen better dirt tracks... and that's not an exaggeration for arguements sake.

So whilst I won't be sad to see the potholes filled, I fear that work won't last for long.... but fingers crossed anyways.

http://www.archwayproducts.com/downloads/Roadmaster_leaflet_web.pdf

PS. Credit where credit is due.. this has to be a step up from the shovel & 3 pats that we usual get.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

The town needs two on duty wardens with one dealing with problem areas at specific times.

Even if they could get the current guy to shift from first gear into second for the first time in town history it would make a difference.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

jpb1974 wrote: »
    The council have been going up and down the lane outside our house in a 'Roadmaster' this morning.

The main part of the lane they are working on... well, lets just say you couldn't even call it a road. It's a combination of grass, muck and the remnants of a shítty surface they put down a number of years back.
    Personally I've seen better dirt tracks... and that's not an exaggeration for arguements sake.

So whilst I won't be sad to see the potholes filled, I fear that work won't last for long.... but fingers crossed anyways.

http://www.archwayproducts.com/downloads/Roadmaster_leaflet_web.pdf

PS. Credit where credit is due.. this has to be a step up from the shovel & 3 pats that we usual get.

Knowing Enniscorthy council the Roadmaster is Probably on Hire from Powerplant or Enniscorthy hire.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

scaller wrote: »
    Knowing Enniscorthy council the Roadmaster is Probably on Hire from Powerplant or Enniscorthy hire.

The Council own the one that they use,it's a million times better than the usual Delay Set stuff they used to use,a shower of rain & 2 or 3 cars and that stuff ended up in the ditch plus it's more expensive.

The Roadmaster uses hot tar & chips which will hold together,the only problem is the new potholes that appear on the untreated surface,generally right beside where the old pothole was filled.

Speaking of roadworks,there are some going on beside the Murphy Floods site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I have been watching the new paving works taking place beside the Murphy Flood site and await to see the quality of new paving. Is it wise to spend a lot of money on new paving next to a derelict/development site? No doubt we will see in the next day or two. A concrete path would suffice for now IMO but what would I know.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Why don't the council workers who are standing around watching the new paving works taking place beside the Murphy Floods eyesore go into the "CARPARK" (hush hush money) and sweep up all the **** also disinfectant the path way and pick up all the beer cans and rubbish and make the place look presentable .

Reminds me of the old joke about the council workers who turn up for a job to find that someone has forgotten to load the shovels. The overseer rings HQ and tells his boss about the problem but is told not to worry and to lean against each other until he can get some shovels to them. :D Sorry I garbled that but you get the idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Ian7

I have been watching the new paving works taking place beside the Murphy Flood site and await to see the quality of new paving. Is it wise to spend a lot of money on new paving next to a derelict/development site? No doubt we will see in the next day or two. A concrete path would suffice for now IMO but what would I know.

Thought the exact same thing myself JD. It's highly unlikely that anything will happen with Floods in the near future but if by some miracle works did go ahead, the new paving will be ripped up and pulled apart.

While we're on the topic of floods. Was in there the other day and noticed what a state of disrepair the old Georgian door is in. As far as I know, it was supposed to be a protected feature and was to be retained in any future works. Doesn't look very protected to me, in fact, it looks almost un-salvageable now. What a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Ian7

There's an article in today's Echo about illegal dumping. Doesn't mention anything about the recycling centres but I'm very happy this problem is being addressed. It's probably the worst problem we have in terms of appearance of the town. I know there will be some people who will disagree with me when I say this but what we need is some kind of tenant & bin register in the town and hinterland. In the article they are talking about knocking on peoples doors to see how they dispose of rubbish when in fact that tactic is itself...rubbish. I do believe it should be forced upon the owner of buildings/apartments which are being rented to provide or make sure their tenants have adequate waste disposal methods, and fine them if they don't sort it. It's not rocket science. There are hundreds of apartments in and around the town which have a high turnover of occupants and many of which don't bother getting wheelie bins. There's a reason we are low on the Tidy Towns league, it's time to cop on and get tough before it gets worse especially with the current economic climate.

Was down to Dunnes this morning and - almost - unbelievably they are installing the most expensive cut granite kerbing on the new footpaths. Truly the mind boggles! Incidentally, I saw a man out spraying chewing gum on the new Court Street section of pavement yesterday and was intrigued - today all was revealed - the official opening of the new pavements will take place on Friday and then we can let them go to hell. :rolleyes:

BINS%2B003.JPG

• Advertisement

Some re-bar,lengths of timber and a couple of loads of concrete and we'd have a nice new footpath in 2 days...........But that would be too easy and cost effective,or maybe they are using the stuff left over from Rafter Street,there was absolutely loads of it.(but that would make sense so I doubt it)

Ian7 wrote: »
    There's an article in today's Echo about illegal dumping. Doesn't mention anything about the recycling centres but I'm very happy this problem is being addressed. It's probably the worst problem we have in terms of appearance of the town. I know there will be some people who will disagree with me when I say this but what we need is some kind of tenant & bin register in the town and hinterland. In the article they are talking about knocking on peoples doors to see how they dispose of rubbish when in fact that tactic is itself...rubbish. I do believe it should be forced upon the owner of buildings/apartments which are being rented to provide or make sure their tenants have adequate waste disposal methods, and fine them if they don't sort it. It's not rocket science. There are hundreds of apartments in and around the town which have a high turnover of occupants and many of which don't bother getting wheelie bins. There's a reason we are low on the Tidy Towns league, it's time to cop on and get tough before it gets worse especially with the current economic climate.

With all the bins now in private operators controls I'm sure it'd be easy enough to have a database of who has a bin or is paying for bags/tags.

Certain parts of the town seem to have regular dumping problems with bags dumped beside the public bins.This was highlighted in the papers a couple of weeks ago with a serial offender dumping at The Bloody Bridge and outside Aldi.The bottom of Shannon Hill suffers the same fate every week.

Rental properties should have bin charges included in the rents so it's in the tenants interest to use them.As an example,I know of one family who got a call from the Council's community officer to find out what they were doing with their rubbish.The following week they got new bins but never used them and simply put the rubbish into someone elses bin,this was an ongoing practice until they got caught at it.

Money to squander on paving but none to maintain the Promenade playground - I first hightlighted this issue in March 2009 and here's a pic taken yesterday. The weather is eventually wearing some of the graffiti off.

PLAYGROUND%2B005.JPG

Here's what a playground should look like and it has proper fencing around it,perhaps when the new fence by the railway was being erected they could have put the same around the playground and have a nominated keyholder who opened & closed the playground.

http://kildare.ie/countycouncil/LeisureServices/Playgrounds/maynoothplayground/

maynooth%20playground%20010.jpg

maynooth%20playground%20011.jpg

maynooth%20playground%20018.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

Kilcannon is not much use to somebody living in town with no car - maybe I should get a taxi once a week - what a farce! There appear to be about half a dozen waste companies operating in the town and some days they fail to appear. Some shops stock their bags and sometimes they have them and sometimes they don't - welcome to the free market Third World. :rolleyes:
    There is one out the Ross Road just past the Gael Scoil on the left hand side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

jpb1974 wrote: »
    I wasn't aware that bottle banks other than the Supervalu site had been closed at the time of my original post.

The Supervalu site was a disgrace... maybe it needed to be emptied on a more frequent basis but my gut instint tells me that a minority of public laziness and ignorance was to blame.

The Kilgannon site is supposed to be excellent according to the other half who went out there two weeks ago. You don't just show up and dump your stuff. You have to come in through a barrier and there is a very helpful gent there who will assist you in placing your recycle in the appropriate areas. So basically it is properly managed. They are taking just about everything from newspapers, cans, bottles and plastics to used cooking oil and eletrical products.

This is exactly what the town needed... and the best thing is that it's free. Up to this point I had been paying €2 a pop for Greenstar recycling bags, collected once a fortnight.
    Much needed. I have a shed full of old Hoovers and electrical bits that I need to get rid of.

TheChevron wrote: »
    There is one out the Ross Road just past the Gael Scoil on the left hand side.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=77309669&postcount=719

It's quite a hike from the centre of town - might as well put it in Bree. Anyway, I regularly used to pick up empties in St.Mary's Churchyard and its vicinity and drop them into the bank at the old Dunnes Stores carpark bottlebank - guess I'll have to leave them for the village idiots to throw about now. :mad: Whatever happened to the concept of making it easy to recycle?

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭wextipp

Heres an idea. How about for one day only we try and find good things about Enniscorthy and talk about them. Just for one day mind you. I'll start off:-

3 of the premier running events in the South East happen in Enniscorthy. The Home and Dream 10 mile, the Enniscorthy 10k (which had 2 olympians in it this year) and the Strawberry Half marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

wextipp wrote: »
    Heres an idea. How about for one day only we try and find good things about Enniscorthy and talk about them. Just for one day mind you. I'll start off:-

3 of the premier running events in the South East happen in Enniscorthy. The Home and Dream 10 mile, the Enniscorthy 10k (which had 2 olympians in it this year) and the Strawberry Half marathon.

This is probably the best post of all on this thread, I friends coming down from Dublin for a stag this weekend and by reading the thread I cant figure out why they picked out Enniscorthy

So here's my contribution
    The castle, where people can see what the proud people of Wexford done in the name of Irish Freedom. I have brought Foreign friends of mine (Egyptian, American, English, Scottish, Canadian) and they loved it.
    I'm not a Wexican, but having lived down here for 7 odd years I have noticed that a lot of locals complain about whats wrong with the county but when it comes to doing something about it volunteers are scarce on the ground. Sorry if this post offends, it's just my two cents.

the GALL wrote: »
    The castle

Yes, I'm not from Wexford either. The first time I passed through the town I tought it was very picturesque. The castle and vinegar hill in particular. Great view from the top of the castle. Real sense of history in Enniscorthy IMO.

• Advertisement

Given that this thread is supposed to be for general discussion about Enniscorthy - I think - you can hardly expect it to read like a tourist brochure. Anyway, good things about Enniscorthy.

287-306cwTheAntiqueTavern.jpg

1. The Antique Tavern on Slaney Street - good beer, rugby on TV and nice crowd.
    2. Hayes Pub on Court Street - plenty of TVs, so you're never stuck to see your particular match - even cricket!

3. Stafford's butchers on Rafter Street.
    4. Cooney's Bakery on Church Street.
    5. The Square pub on the Market Square - good for breakfast and rugby on TV.
    6. Five Star Chinese on Slaney Street - good for a King Prawn omelette - after rugby and beer in the Antique Tavern!
    7. The Irish Rail station for the great escape to the Big Smoke.
    8. Stamp's Pub on the Market Square for rugby when Slaney Street is snow or icebound.
    9. The Antique Tavern or did I mention that already? :D

287-309cwTheAntiqueTavern.jpg

Nice post.
    Given that this thread is supposed to be for general discussion about Enniscorthy - I think - you can hardly expect it to read like a tourist brochure.

It's just for one day. :D

Not a bad town when you think of it.

4. Cooney's Bakery on Church Street.
    Love that Bakery. Nothing like it in Wexford town.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

Hey C'mon JD
    wextipp asked for the good things about Enniscorthy for one day only. I get the feeling you put them points up Begrudgingly(sp):rolleyes:
    It takes 2 blowins to point out some good things about the town:eek: maybe the towns bypass isnt a bad thing after all.

Havn't been at them in a while but a night at the Greyhound track in Enniscorthy is hard to beat.

@ JD,you forgot Denis's Kebabs: The best kebabs in Ireland.None of your fake Abrekababra muck.

The FAI have bought land in the Milehouse,maybe we are going to get a state of the art sports complex? It'd be a great addition to the town,wasn't this promised by Paul Kehoe a while ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭potsy11

I am a blowin by marriage but here is my 2 pence worth of whats good in Enniscorthy, been going down every few months for weekends the last 10 yrs:

Riverside Hotel - been at about 7 weddings here out of about 40 in the last 8 years. One of the best in the country for scenery, food and service.

Stamps Pub - A proper cozy pub where you will meet some real good folk.

The restaurant / cafe on that new pedestrian street - great to meet up with friends, again really good food and coffee

The Turkish barber shop on the same street. Knows how to give a good grooming for the dudes....

Vinegar Hill - Ill say no more....great for a walk around and stands proudly over the town.

River Slaney....nothing more to be said

Outside of the town there are lots of great woodlands for walks, Kiltrea Pottery, Monart Hotel, Mount Leinster and the Blackstairs (i know I am pushing it)

lots of nice things and stuff about Enniscorthy...Be proud

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭mccarte2

Great stuff in the recent posts folks. Am exiled in Dublin but I do enjoy coming home. Some other good parts of the town

- The only Portugese restaurant outside of Portugal where I've tasted proper Piri Piri Chicken (and not that Nandos muck)
    - The only Italian restaurant I know of that usually always has meat cannelloni on the menu (a personal choice but rare enough)
    - The only town I know of that contains 3 (yes 3) Boylesports Bookmakers!
    - Hayes, Stamps, Antique as already mentioned
    - The nicest take away pizzas I've had anywhere in Ireland (Maloccas)
    - The run / walk from the Riverside Hotel to the Blackstoops roundabout by the river.
    - The new walkway along the banks of the Slaney from the Riverside down towards Wexford town (once you can avoid what the cows left behind)

I've learnt a lot more about Enniscorthy in the last few posts that I would ever find in the tourism web-site http://enniscorthytourism.com/index.htm If you are going visiting a town it's all the above gems that are good to know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭potsy11

Also, i know I am pusing it about Mount Leinster and the Blackstairs but there is an article on Nationwide tonight at 7pm.

there was a huge walk about at the weekend that they covered.

I have personally done the treks around these mountains over the years and can tell you that the serenity and views are some of the best in the world.

Its on your doorstep. Get you boots on, bring the kids and your friends, pack a lunch and go for a walk on the trails of these magnificent hills. A great morning or afternoon outside....

I know my Wexford.....Not bad for a part time blow in...

Advertisement