Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Don't forget that StrawberryFest is back this year,heard Maverick Sabre perform live on TodayFM this morning.....amazing.

With all this positivity,the Council members who read this thread will think we've gone mad.Don't worry,usual service will resume shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭potsy11

Also, one more shop I forgot to mention - I do all my clothes shopping in Modern Fashions. They have a great selection of clothes for men. Selected, jack jones, quicksilver etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭wextipp

zerks wrote: »
    Don't worry,usual service will resume shortly.

Love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 trevr

The Square pub on the Market Square - good for breakfast and rugby on TV.

Better start looking for somewhere new for your brekkie JD, it'll be gone by the end of next month i'd say.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

trevr wrote: »

Better start looking for somewhere new for your brekkie JD, it'll be gone by the end of next month i'd say.....

I had heard rumours but it's positivity day....:(

and I know it's quite a bit outside the town (i.e. more than a drunken stagger home) but Redmond's Pub at Scarawalsh is one of those places to visit before you die. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=73225212&postcount=23

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Ian7

whoah? The FAI bought that land?? Thats great news....I think. At least the planned housing estate for that land won't go ahead. Would rather see it left as agricultural land but sure thats "progress" for ya. Was thinking it odd that the local travellers were being blocked from using that land recently for their horses.

trevr wrote: »

I heard otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭jordata

The Square is closing March 18th as far as I know. But at least it will be open on the 18th for those who want to take refuge from the madness of the parade!!

jordata wrote: »
    The Square is closing March 18th as far as I know. But at least it will be open on the 18th for those who want to take refuge from the madness of the parade!!

I presume you mean it will be open on the 17th??

I heard there is somebody lined up to take over. Only rumours though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

The Square is closing March 18th as far as I know

Yes, this is the date they are set to close. Staff have already been made aware of their redundancy. The 'Toffee & Thyme' owner is set to takeover but nobody knows what the plans are.

• Advertisement

jpb1974 wrote: »
    The 'Toffee & Thyme' owner is set to takeover

Well, I wish Pauline all the best if she is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Continuing in yesterday's spirit of positivity I'm posting a link to colour stills of Enniscorthy from the movie "Violent Enemey" (1967) which maybe of interest.

http://www.reelstreets.com/index.php?option=com_films_online&task=view&id=1086

The film is available on DVD from Amazon but, in fairness, I cannot recommend it to anybody apart from its local interest. Star studded - Tom Bell, Susan Hampshire, Ed Begley and Noel Purcell - but a very poor plot leaves them struggling. Anyway, from a local point of view it makes for interesting viewing. There's a certain irony (probably unknown to the filmakers) in that the main republican activist (Tom Bell) assembles his explosives in a building a few yards from where IRA volunteer Seamus Rafter blew himself up in while working on a bomb in the cellars of the Cotton Tree Pub.

vie004.jpg

Nice one JD. The AIB looks really different for some reason, and i wonder is that the infamous slaney place pub (I forget the proper name now) to the right of it? Now long gone, it used to be where the entrance to the AIB car park is. Looks like some kind of sign hanging from the upper floor.

Also, given that the positivity ball is still rolling...I would like to draw peoples attention to the almost finished Arts centre at St. Aidans convent. I have to say, it's quite a tidy job. The designers seem to have got a nice mix of traditional (in the roof line) and modern (in the entrance). And looks like they will have plenty of parking space there too. Enniscorthy has been crying out for a cultural & arts outlet for years. I want to wish them all the best!!

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

The Boolavouge Inn.

driving home from work yesterday evening, I spotted a sign on a pole about some Home&Building show in Kilkenny. Well you can imagine my amusement when I also spotted one of our local chamber of commerce members jumping up and angrily banging the signs off the pole. Quite funny I must say. I don't know if the person put them up against the nearby wall or took them off.

scaller wrote: »
    The Boolavouge Inn.

That's the one. The bloody 'Boro inn' kept coming into my mind. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭hop2it

Ian7 wrote: »
    That's the one. The bloody 'Boro inn' kept coming into my mind. Cheers

No that one is in clonroche (John Judes )

Back to normal service and JD's bugbear: THAT playground.

The missus brought our 3 year old down there yesterday but found a gang of teenagers hanging out there,why weren't they at school? She felt too intimidated to ask them to move on so the little fella could use the playground-the result,one very upset little boy.:mad:

I came home yesterday evening & my 3 yr old told me he was at the "dirty playground but the big girls & boys were on the rides".I know the town can't afford a full time supervisor but all it would take is some of the Town Council workers to pop down there a couple of times a day to check on the place and remove anyone who shouldn't be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

Back to normal service and JD's bugbear: THAT playground.

The missus brought our 3 year old down there yesterday but found a gang of teenagers hanging out there,why weren't they at school? She felt too intimidated to ask them to move on so the little fella could use the playground-the result,one very upset little boy.:mad:

I came home yesterday evening & my 3 yr old told me he was at the "dirty playground" but the big girls & boys were on the rides".I know the town can't afford a full time supervisor but all it would take is some of the Town Council workers to pop down there a couple of times a day to check on the place and remove anyone who shouldn't be there.

What authority would town council employees have to do that? Would they do it is another matter? :confused:

Playground could do with a good bit of work...maybe some floodlighting for night-time; same with along the prom walk (which could also do with some bins). Could do with encouraging more people down there, especially as the evenings are getting longer.

klong wrote: »
    What authority would town council employees have to do that? Would they do it is another matter? :confused:

Playground could do with a good bit of work...maybe some floodlighting for night-time; same with along the prom walk (which could also do with some bins). Could do with encouraging more people down there, especially as the evenings are getting longer.

Just need a presence there who looks like they have some authority,shouldn't be left up to parents to police the place.All they need do is turn up and tell anyone who shouldn't be there to leave,most 15 year olds will move on if told to by a couple of guys in yellow vests.

A situation happened to a guy I know in Wexford not long ago,a group of 16 yr old lads were drinking in the playground and one squared up to him when he asked them to leave and let the kids on the rides,it ended up with one of the youths parents coming down after my mate.The parent soon changed his tune when the other parents explained what really happened.I don't want something like that happening in Enniscorthy but with Summer holidays on the way and feck all for teenagers to do in the town I fear it will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭lynp27

jpb1974 wrote: »
    Yes, this is the date they are set to close. Staff have already been made aware of their redundancy. The 'Toffee & Thyme' owner is set to takeover but nobody knows what the plans are.
    lease is up ans someone else is taking over. heard it was the toffee and thyme alright

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

Have heard talk of it becoming a licensed steakhouse.
    My brother has been resident DJ there for about a decade... never really frequented the place meself.. still long for the Office :cool:

HB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭paulaa

Continuing in yesterday's spirit of positivity I'm posting a link to colour stills of Enniscorthy from the movie "Violent Enemey" (1967) which maybe of interest.

http://www.reelstreets.com/index.php?option=com_films_online&task=view&id=1086

The film is available on DVD from Amazon but, in fairness, I cannot recommend it to anybody apart from its local interest. Star studded - Tom Bell, Susan Hampshire, Ed Begley and Noel Purcell - but a very poor plot leaves them struggling. Anyway, from a local point of view it makes for interesting viewing. There's a certain irony (probably unknown to the filmakers) in that the main republican activist (Tom Bell) assembles his explosives in a building a few yards from where IRA volunteer Seamus Rafter blew himself up in while working on a bomb in the cellars of the Cotton Tree Pub.

vie004.jpg

I had a tiny part in that film. I had to walk out of the Cathedral with 2 adults who were supposed to be my parents lol

Nice one JD. The AIB looks really different for some reason, and i wonder is that the infamous slaney place pub (I forget the proper name now) to the right of it? Now long gone, it used to be where the entrance to the AIB car park is. Looks like some kind of sign hanging from the upper floor.

Also, given that the positivity ball is still rolling...I would like to draw peoples attention to the almost finished Arts centre at St. Aidans convent. I have to say, it's quite a tidy job. The designers seem to have got a nice mix of traditional (in the roof line) and modern (in the entrance). And looks like they will have plenty of parking space there too. Enniscorthy has been crying out for a cultural & arts outlet for years. I want to wish them all the best!!

It used to be called Redmonds in the 1960's, a mecca for cattle and pig dealers on fair/market days in town .

Some nice old photo's in this weeks Slaney News Paper,shows Bellfield being blessed in 1952 when construction of the houses was nearing completion.

Speaking of building,there's work going on in what used to be the bookies beside Kehoes Pub on the quay.

Speaking of building,there's work going on in what used to be the bookies beside Kehoes Pub on the quay.

Thought that meself, tis about time they did something there. Really wish that entire section of the quay was cleaned up though.

Thought that meself, tis about time they did something there. Really wish that entire section of the quay was cleaned up though.

Parts of it are an eyesore,Coogans boarded up and waste ground beside the Chinese,problem is who's gona invest in an area that's prone to flooding?

Parts of it are an eyesore,Coogans boarded up and waste ground beside the Chinese,problem is who's gona invest in an area that's prone to flooding?

Is Coogans locally owned ?

paulaa wrote: »
    Is Coogans locally owned ?

I'm going old school with the name,Coogans sold it years ago but it'll always be known as Coogans.

• Advertisement

I'm going old school with the name,Coogans sold it years ago but it'll always be known as Coogans.

I never knew it as anything else:) I was just wondering who owned it now, locals or developers.

Advertisement