Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Ian7

paulaa wrote: »
    I never knew it as anything else:) I was just wondering who owned it now, locals or developers.

I'm 100% sure I saw Coogan's on a property website recently but I can't for the life of me find it now. It has planning permission to be knocked and turned into Apartments with retail units at ground floor. Perhaps someone has purchase the building.

Keohe's seems to be up for grabs too, at the tasty price of €750,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭paulaa

Ian7 wrote: »
    I'm 100% sure I saw Coogan's on a property website recently but I can't for the life of me find it now. It has planning permission to be knocked and turned into Apartments with retail units at ground floor. Perhaps someone has purchase the building.

That's a lot of money !!! I just had a quick browse on Property.ie for commercial properties in Enniscorthy. I didn't see either of those but I can't believe how many shops are for sale in the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Well it is one of the busiest pubs in the town,all those with the money drink there;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

zerks wrote: »
    Well it is one of the busiest pubs in the town,all those with the money drink there;)

Plenty of Councillor Kavanagh's friends hang out there too. :D

That's a lot of money !!! I just had a quick browse on Property.ie for commercial properties in Enniscorthy. I didn't see either of those but I can't believe how many shops are for sale in the town.

Here is Kehoes.
    http://www.propertypartners.ie/property_details.jsp?p=30432&t=1&d=0&o=64

• Advertisement

That's the closest I'll ever get to being inside it. :D

Thanks for that. I don't think I've ever been in it.

In fairness to the owners, they keep the building looking well. The owners of Partz, the bookies and the bus stop shop have no excuse though. Surely the painting scheme would have done the job last summer. Will they be doing a similar scheme this year does anyone know?

In fairness to the owners, they keep the building looking well. The owners of Partz, the bookies and the bus stop shop have no excuse though. Surely the painting scheme would have done the job last summer. Will they be doing a similar scheme this year does anyone know?

It's been years since I was in it,used to be a great spot for traditional music & a singsong.Times change and so did the clientel but I imagine the turnover is healthy.

Work going on in Colemans in the Square atm,will they reopen it as a pub?

Now that The Square bar is changing hands and becoming a restaurant,the only pub left in Market Square is Stamps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

Work going on in Colemans in the Square atm,will they reopen it as a pub?

Now that The Square bar is changing hands and becoming a restaurant,the only pub left in Market Square is Stamps.

Square Bar gone ? Just goes to show how the arse has fallen out of the pub game. Who's running the new restaurant?

The owner of Toffee & Thyme is taking over The Square after Paddy's Day.

Enniscorthy made Midweek on TV3 with the problems concerning travellers in Drumgoold being discussed.Cllr Paddy Kavanagh was interviewed and claimed "ethnic cleansing of settled folk was taking place in the area"

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭haron

has anyone else noticed the seats that was once in the square near the monument are gone?

haron wrote: »
    has anyone else noticed the seats that was once in the square near the monument are gone?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=75699777&postcount=597 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

The recycling centre out the old Dublin road are taking electrical items for free today, sat 31st march.

Mad or what!! The transformation of "The Square" is underway in Enniscorthy. Photo taken by my eight year old with his ipod this morning. :D

MAD%2BENNISCORTHY.jpg

TheChevron wrote: »
    The recycling centre out the old Dublin road are taking electrical items for free today, sat 31st march.

Don't they always? They make money from them from the recycling companies.

The centre in Holmestown is always free for recycling,it'd be strange if the one in Kilcannon were charging.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

Don't they always? They make money from them from the recycling companies.

The centre in Holmestown is always free for recycling,it'd be strange if the one in Kilcannon were charging.
    I haven't a clue if its always free. I just seen a sign out at the roundabout on the Dublin road.

I have a shed full of stuff for them anyway.

Whites in the Square up for sale/rent.Another business gone in the town.

After all his opposition to Tesco coming to town it seems even their not opening a store couldn't save Michael White's business.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

Whites in the Square up for sale/rent.Another business gone in the town.

After all his opposition to Tesco coming to town it seems even their not opening a store couldn't save Michael White's business.

And we still have no Tesco and associated business park.

• Advertisement

While it's a pity that old businesses are closing down, the traders association has held the town back imo.

I remember years ago when Gimont was built, another family business wanted to build a small shopping centre there to service the new estate. Pennys were interested in a place in the centre but as usual the town traders put stop to it.

Instead of keeping business in the town they drove people to shop in Wexford , Waterford etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

I'm tempted to ask...how is New Ross doing since Tesco opened?

While it's a pity that old businesses are closing down, the traders association has held the town back imo.

I remember years ago when Gimont was built, another family business wanted to build a small shopping centre there to service the new estate. Pennys were interested in a place in the centre but as usual the town traders put stop to it.

Instead of keeping business in the town they drove people to shop in Wexford , Waterford etc.

+1.

Their small mindedness & greed has contributed to the demise of the town as a retail centre,they were so ensconced in their 'old boy's club' and opposed to anything new coming to town they failed to see that the town was dying.
    Any given weekend we see a pilgrimage out of the town by shoppers who want greater choice & value which can't be found in Enniscorthy.

+1.

Their small mindedness & greed has contributed to the demise of the town as a retail centre,they were so ensconced in their 'old boy's club' and opposed to anything new coming to town they failed to see that the town was dying.
    Any given weekend we see a pilgrimage out of the town by shoppers who want greater choice & value which can't be found in Enniscorthy.

Totally agree with you. It's not too many years ago I had an argument with some of the traders about not opening on Thursdays , especially in the summer when tourists were wandering around the town with money burning a hole in their pockets. I was told it was too expensive to pay staff !!!

The short sightedness used to really annoy me

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭mccarte2

On a positive note, I visited the Enniscorthy Inn / Shenanigans / Square Bar / MAD last night and was positively surprised. They're targeting a particular niche. Bar food served every night till 9. All main courses on menu priced at a tenner or less apart from the steaks.

It's being leased by the lady behind Toffee & Thyme who'll be keeping T&T open at the same time. Interior looks nice since last time I was in. Menu had a good wide selection. Fancyish bar food. Trying to go for the restaurant style food at bar prices approach. Didn't eat there but any of the food I saw being carried out looked good.

Only opened on Saturday night so I would assume they'll start getting busy this week with the lunch crowd and be quieter in the evenings. Good to see something a bit different and good that it's in the square which could do with a shot in the arm business-wise.

haron wrote: »

If it wasn't Enniscorthy I wouldn't have believed it. Perhaps today's issue of the Guardian was supposed to appear on the 1st April. :rolleyes:

SEATS%2B001.JPG

Kiltrea Pottery is closing. http://www.kiltreapottery.com/easter12_sale.html

Pity,they make some lovely stuff.

Surprised to hear that they are closing down completely. I have one of their bread crocks - it will see me and my unborn grandchildren out. :D

Surprised to hear that they are closing down completely. I have one of their bread crocks - it will see me and my unborn grandchildren out. :D

Took a spin out,there's people spending money as if it was going out of fashion.No recession when it comes to a sale.

• Advertisement

guardian%2B003.JPG

Back in 2009 as I sat in an empty meeting room minutes before a well attended inaugural meeting to save the Athenaeum, the urge to contribute beat strongly inside me - instead, after years of serving on different committees I decided to keep my head down and watch instead. Whether it was my poor experience of committees in the past or the fact that I am a blow-in to Enniscorthy I'm not sure, but a little voice inside my head told me stay well away and boy am I glad! Apart from constant fundraising, there's is little tangible sign of any progress with the project - to the outsider - and this latest debacle could prove most damaging. I hope not but only time will tell. :(

Advertisement