Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

TheChevron wrote: »
    I wonder if people do any kind of research before opening shops.

I noticed that airsoft shop on Weafer St was closed there this evening..was that ever going to make a profit?

Moved to the Abbey Centre ages ago. Actually fairly popular believe it or not.

I think a previous poster mentioned putting a sign outside the Museum,so that passersby would know whats inside . Many tourists at the time said they did'nt realise untill they wandered in.Could be an idea before the "summer".

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

zerks wrote: »
    Nice to see the boy racers having free reign to re-enact the Grand Prix on the streets of the town.They pulled out in front of cars last night and proceeded to weave all over the road and drive like lunatics through the town from the L&N to Lidl's car park where no doubt they had a great laugh over the 'craic' they had.If anyone along Bellfield or Weafer Street had stepped onto the road,they wouldn't have had a chance.
    If any of our local gardai are reading this,the ringleader was driving a silver Peugot 206 with a nice new L plate on the back.

One of this crew nearly ploughed two people out of it today in Abbey Square,the people were in the middle of the pedestrian crossing with a car stopped on the inside lane and this moron tore through the outside lane and barely missed them,I recognised the car from the night they were tearing around town.
    Bad enough they race around after dark but doing the same during the day is pushing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Padjo1981

But they keep getting away with it. The garda don't do a bloody thing to stop them bombing around the town. I was walking down Irish street the other day and a civic blasted up, he must of been doing 100kph. Where are the police these days eh?
    zerks wrote: »
    One of this crew nearly ploughed two people out of it today in Abbey Square,the people were in the middle of the pedestrian crossing with a car stopped on the inside lane and this moron tore through the outside lane and barely missed them,I recognised the car from the night they were tearing around town.
    Bad enough they race around after dark but doing the same during the day is pushing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

TheChevron wrote: »
    I wonder if people do any kind of research before opening shops.

I noticed that airsoft shop on Weafer St was closed there this evening..was that ever going to make a profit?

That's funny, I'm sitting in it right now :P

There is plenty of demand for airsoft in Wexford so I would say it was well researched.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

My bad, best of luck.

Pew pew pew!

Any longstay car parks in town or do i have to buy a ticket every two hours

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Any longstay car parks in town or do i have to buy a ticket every two hours

The car park behind the Boys Club on the Island Road is €2 for the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭mccarte2

Parking down the prom is all day parking as well I think - not sure of price though

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

mccarte2 wrote: »
    Parking down the prom is all day parking as well I think - not sure of price though

€2 all day along there aswell, @kneemos,the parking is along the river on the stretch from The New Bridge towards the Riverside Hotel.The parking in the small car park outside of The Abbey Centre is pay per hour so don't get caught out & park there as it's beside the all-day parking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭radharc

Is there any talk at all of Tesco building an out of town store any more? I know a lot of people are opposed to those out of town developments but im all for anything that will create jobs

radharc wrote: »
    Is there any talk at all of Tesco building an out of town store any more? I know a lot of people are opposed to those out of town developments but im all for anything that will create jobs

Nope,nada,not a hope,snowball in hell's chance,when pigs fly...etc,etc,etc

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Ian7

kneemos wrote: »
    Nope,nada,not a hope,snowball in hell's chance,when pigs fly...etc,etc,etc

interesting post there Kneemos. Just wondering is this a general prediction taking account of previous objection or is it a personal point of opposition?

A friend of mine is currently researching this matter and both pro's and con's of building a Tesco outside the town. Why do you think this won't happen or why don't you want it to happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭potsy11

I remember I saw a programme regarding large supermarkets on the outskirts of towns. The research showed that there was a net loss of jobs, somthing like 1.2 or 1.3 loss for every job that was created by Tesco or any other large supermarket.

Its fairly obvious that the local butchers, convenience stores, clothes shops, chemists etc really suffer as a result.

Enniscorthy is one of the last few large towns without a Supermarket on the outskirts..

I would be opposed.

Ian7 wrote: »
    interesting post there Kneemos. Just wondering is this a general prediction taking account of previous objection or is it a personal point of opposition?

A friend of mine is currently researching this matter and both pro's and con's of building a Tesco outside the town. Why do you think this won't happen or why don't you want it to happen?

Personally i don't think it is such a good idea. Apart from that An Bord Pleanala said no.End of story normally.

Personally i don't think it is such a good idea. Apart from that An Bord Pleanala said no.End of story normally.

It was refused planning at that particular location. That doesn't mean they can't apply to build somewhere else in the town. I think a careful examination of it's potential and/or negative impact should be carried out alongside public consultation. It's no good people just saying they don't agree with it just because we're unsure of what might happen.

The chamber of commerce lodged an objection to it at the time but based that on an assumption that business would be lost in the town centre all the while Dunnes stores hold an obvious trump card in the former Dunnes stores building. How much business and jobs have been lost because of that situation? We're stuck in a rut at the moment and we need to investigate every avenue out of this mess instead of standing still.

By the way, i'm not completely disagreeing with you, I just wanna get a clear view of both sides of the argument.

Can't think of another location close to town suitable for a big development

Can't think of another location close to town suitable for a big development

Any where along the old dublin road? I was thinking the former Alcast premises out rectory heights but that road isn't suitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

but that road isn't suitable

LOL, anything is possible in this country... look at where the Dunnes Stores HGV entrance is located.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Panch84

A Shambles In Two Acts

In response to the shambles that has become The Athenaeum “Restoration” fund, let me just say this.

To whom it may concern (I’m not writing two letters…..)

I am genuinely surprised that it took this long for egos to creep in and poison the well of creativity and good spirit that drew me to the project in the first place. Many a discussion was had by me and good friends regarding what could be done to bring some culture back into this town. Top of the list was always, “It’d be great to get the Athenaeum opened again.” Then this was quickly followed by joyous stories of doing shows with just three curtains rested on a massive loo roll holder to hide your teenage shame. My first experience on that stage began with some encouragement from the late Mr. Michael Talbot, a beautiful, quietly creative man that hailed from Galway and came to teach kids in St. Mary’s CBS, Mill Park Road.

He asked me and three other lads would we mind helping out “backstage” at the musical in town as part of our Gaisce Award in Transition Year. The Musical Society was under the direction of Mr. Ray Quigley and it took him about two days to persuade us to actually appear on stage. And that was it, I can’t speak for the other two guys but I was hooked. The buzz, the smiles, the laughter and the applause, I loved it all. My first experience of performing to people took place in the Athenaeum. And if I had space, I could list out over two hundred people in the same boat.

My how perspectives have changed since then. Now we’re not talking about a building that had the pleasure of playing host to Matty Kinnaird, Harry Ringwood, countless productions of the Musical and Drama Society. Not to mention the part the building played in 1916. No, now we’re stuck in a battle of school children’s egos. “It’s my building.”… “I’m the director… No, I’m the director….. I’m the director and I’m in bar for eternity and I have a force field, no comebacks.”

Hang your heads. Hang your heads in shame. Anyone that has had the pleasure of being on that stage and anyone with a love for the old bricks and mortar does not care one iota who is leader of a board. On the subject of boards, sort it out or leave and form another board, preferably full of outsiders. More importantly, sort it out and get the building opened so that the future generations of thinkers, dreamers, lovers, actors and musicians can enjoy the energy that hits you just upon waking into that hollowed building.

• Advertisement

jpb1974 wrote: »
    LOL, anything is possible in this country... look at where the Dunnes Stores HGV entrance is located.

True, almost got caught there this mornin' just after nine but mostly I turn up to the left at The Bailey and down Irish Street whenever I see any trucks about to make a move to turn in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Bearhunter

@ Panch84: Couldn't agree more and you've brought back some great memories there. I did some backstage (and onstage) work with the Musical society over the years, and have great memories of it all, from the likes of Matty Kinnaird and Harry Ringwood to Paddy Murphy, Teddy Quinna and the like. Great days indeed and I can still remember the roar of the greasepaint and the smell of the crowd as we got the sets ready each night.

(And I remember Mick Talbot too, a genuine gentleman who taught me and was the first teacher ever to listen to me, rather than simply telling me ****. He was a great loss to the school and the town.)

Anyone know what the half finished building on Springvally is or was going to be.

you're talking about the building with the construction hoarding still around around it right? near Cpt. Weafer Hall? Think it was supposed to be a large retirement home complex.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

Which building is Weafer Hall? What was it used for?

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭hop2it

klong wrote: »
    Which building is Weafer Hall? What was it used for?

it's the dole office on spring valley hill

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

Ah I know the place! Never heard of it called anything different...until now

hop2it wrote: »
    it's the dole office on spring valley hill

Not a palace but it beat's the cattle shed.

klong wrote: »
    Ah I know the place! Never heard of it called anything different...until now

I asked me grandad about that place a while back... He was saying that either the blocks or bricks or cement was made down on the island because of all the sand there. Suppose you could just do something like that back then and not be questioned about it. On a slight tangent.... he also told me he remembered peeking in at some performance group practicing a show in the old smith yard behind Whites Pub and they went on to perform in the new hall when it was built.

Not a palace but it beat's the cattle shed.

?

• Advertisement

I asked me grandad about that place a while back... He was saying that either the blocks or bricks or cement was made down on the island because of all the sand there. Suppose you could just do something like that back then and not be questioned about it. On a slight tangent.... he also told me he remembered peeking in at some performance group practicing a show in the old smith yard behind Whites Pub and they went on to perform in the new hall when it was built.

?

Ever been in the old dole office over the year's.?

Advertisement