Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Ian7

kneemos wrote: »
    Ever been in the old dole office over the year's.?

Of course. I would have used the term shoe box rather than cattle shed though. :) Compared to the old place the new dole office is a Palace. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Strolling down Rafter Street yesterday & noticed some of the paving is loose and sticking up,I nearly fell over one of them.The same with the tactile pavers at a lot of the pedestrian crossings around town,many are loose & broken.The contractor didn't cover themselves in glory there.I saw in the local paper that this issue was raised by councillors but nothing has been done,are they waiting for a claim to be made by somebody before getting them repaired/replaced?

Yeah, noticed a couple of damaged tiles on rafter street me-self. corners broken etc. I'm not an expert in this field but could it possibly be due to cheap paving tiles rather than the builders who laid them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Against my better 'judgement' I am resuming posting in the Wexford forum as I'm sure my many fans will be delighted to see. What has provoked this is today's Guardian newspaper and a piece on the recent 'Destination Enniscorthy' meeting at the Riverside Park Hotel - see below.

RIVERSIDE+TOURISM+001.JPG

Reviewed on my blog here:http://countywexford.blogspot.com/

There's a thread on the Wicklow forum entitled 'Bray - A kip - And I'm from bray !' http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055539769 and a similar thread could easily be started about Enniscorthy - or perhaps this is the thread?

Anyway, I'm all for promoting the town for tourism and anything else that can improve the place for those of us incarcerated here. However, I don't believe the officials in charge - be they the Town Council, Failte Ireland etc.etc. have a clue or indeed really care. Why would they as most of them have cushy numbers paid for by the taxpayer.

Every day when I walk around this town I see things that need doing - now - that would cost pennies but they are ignored by those in authority. Much better to squander money on Rafter Street - and painting up TK Cabs office in Templeshannon (according to today's Guardian)! Slaney Street and Rafter Street are still a mess after a great deal of money being spent on them, Templeshannon is a blight on the town, the Riverside playground is another eyesore, the Market Square is a mess (still minus seating), the Enniscorthy Tourism website http://enniscorthytourism.com/ is a bad joke......I'm so fed up complaining about it that I now have my own embryonic one here: http://slaneyview.wordpress.com/

Anyway, that's my lot for now - probably be banned again soon! :mad:

On a more positive note, the near derelict former internet cafe on Castle Street is currently getting renovated and I'm told - a new tenant! :)

Internet%2BCafe%2B002.JPG

• Advertisement

Good to see you back JD,I missed your posts.At least you don't sugarcoat them when it comes to the state of our town.For all the work on Rafter Street it's pointless seeing as there's nothing to attract people to the area unless they want to grab a paper or Lotto in Delaneys or some greeting cards etc. in Europrice.The empty shell of the old Dunnes is a crying shame.
    My missus remarked as we drove by today that "there were more people in Tesco (Wexford) than on the whole of Rafter St./Market Square"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

probably be banned again soon! mad.gif

Was your banning recent JD? What was your crime?

I missed you... good to see you're back with a bang.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

My missus remarked as we drove by today that "there were more people in Tesco (Wexford) than on the whole of Rafter St./Market Square"[/QUOTE]

Including herself, ironically.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

Sweet shop on Slaney Street was gone last time I checked.

Ibar Carty has moved his studio to Castle Street & I saw someone painting the outside of his old place today.

Now the playground by the Riverside...@ JD how sure are you it belongs to Colm Neville? And were you at the Destination Enniscorthy meeting?

My missus remarked as we drove by today that "there were more people in Tesco (Wexford) than on the whole of Rafter St./Market Square"

Including herself, ironically.[/QUOTE]

Yep & we got some stuff that can't be bought in Enniscorthy and got a few bargains aswell.If I could have got the same stuff in town and at the same price I'd have bought them in Enniscorthy but it happened I was in Wexford anyway plus it's nice to have a choice of where to shop.

• Advertisement

zerks wrote: »
    Including herself, ironically.

Yep & we got some stuff that can't be bought in Enniscorthy and got a few bargains aswell.If I could have got the same stuff in town and at the same price I'd have bought them in Enniscorthy but it happened I was in Wexford anyway plus it's nice to have a choice of where to shop.[/QUOTE]

Was'nt having a go Zerks just pointing out the irony.Shop in wexford myself sometimes always found it much cheaper.

I know you weren't having a go,it demonstrates how far behind Enniscorthy has fallen,I hope the new shops opening are not more womens clothes stores-the town is full of them.

klong wrote: »
    Sweet shop on Slaney Street was gone last time I checked.

Ibar Carty has moved his studio to Castle Street & I saw someone painting the outside of his old place today.

Now the playground by the Riverside...@ JD how sure are you it belongs to Colm Neville? And were you at the Destination Enniscorthy meeting?

I think if you re-read what I wrote you will see that I didn't say that he owned the playground but rather that in the interests of his guests he would get something done about it! Even if the hotel paid for an annual repaint of all the equipment in the playground it would be a pittance. I note that the playground is called 'fantastic' in the Strawberry Festival Free Guide.

In answer to your question about my attendance at the meeting - I wasn't at it as I had forgotten about it and the only notification I saw of it was your post in this thread. I suspect that the Town Development Officer deliberately kept me out of the loop despite my various submissions to her - probably just as well as I have recently taken to speaking my mind.

I think if you re-read what I wrote you will see that I didn't say that he owned the playground but rather that in the interests of his guests he would get something done about it! Even if the hotel paid for an annual repaint of all the equipment in the playground it would be a pittance. I note that the playground is called 'fantastic' in the Strawberry Festival Free Guide.

In answer to your question about my attendance at the meeting - I wasn't at it as I had forgotten about it and the only notification I saw of it was your post in this thread. I suspect that the Town Development Officer deliberately kept me out of the loop despite my various submissions to her - probably just as well as I have recently taken to speaking my mind.
    Perhaps it would be a good start if he did something to have the adjacent playground put in proper order - God only knows what his guests make of the place if they have the misfortune to wander into it during their stay in his hotel. I don't expect to see any change there though, much easier just to talk about it.

The impression I got from reading the above comment was that you are of the opinion that he does own it.

There were articles about it in the local papers in the weeks leading up to it.

I suspect that the Town Development Officer didn't deliberately keep you out of the loop- if she were to personally inform everyone who has corresponded with her about issues around the town she wouldn't get a whole lot else done.

Edit: JD can you respond to my PM please? And re a post earlier in this thread, where is the nearest abandoned railway track to the town?

The impression I got from reading the above comment was that you are of the opinion that he does own it.

There were articles about it in the local papers in the weeks leading up to it.

I suspect that the Town Development Officer didn't deliberately keep you out of the loop- if she were to personally inform everyone who has corresponded with her about issues around the town she wouldn't get a whole lot else done.

Edit: JD can you respond to my PM please? And re a post earlier in this thread, where is the nearest abandoned railway track to the town?

Can't help how you interpreted what I wrote - it's clear to me.

I wonder just how many people have been in touch with the Town Development Officer as often as I have? Since July last year - a one hour meeting and full updated report on website submitted, followed up on at least two occasions with further corrections and several more emails. Despite her pleasant manner she no longer feels obliged to reply to me - that is the way concerned citizens cranks are treated in Ireland - ignore them and hope that they will go away.

I don't feel obliged to reply to PMs.

The nearest abandoned rail track to Enniscorthy is the Rosslare Strand/Waterford line. The long abandoned course of the railway from Macmine Junction to New Ross via Clonroche, Palace East etc. still exists in places.

Anyway how about addressing some of the points that I've made e.g. the Riverside Park sponsoring the annual maintenance of the playground?

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭skepticalone

hi Judgement Day , glad to see your back posting here , I always find your posts to be very interesting and informative and wish more locals would post as you do :D

I wonder just how many people have been in touch with the Town Development Officer as often as I have? Since July last year - a one hour meeting and full updated report on website submitted, followed up on at least two occasions with further corrections and several more emails. Despite her pleasant manner she no longer feels obliged to reply to me - that is the way concerned citizens cranks are treated in Ireland - ignore them and hope that they will go away.

I'm sure she has more work to do than personally invite you or others like yourself to every tourism-related meeting or event. The adverts and articles promoting the event were in the local papers for a reason.
    I don't feel obliged to reply to PMs.

Disappointingly arrogant attitude to a simple request.
    The nearest abandoned rail track to Enniscorthy is the Rosslare Strand/Waterford line.

Hilarious
    The long abandoned course of the railway from Macmine Junction to New Ross via Clonroche, Palace East etc. still exists in places.

Thank you.
    Anyway how about addressing some of the points that I've made e.g. the Riverside Park sponsoring the annual maintenance of the playground?

You may have heard of commercial rates. Why should the Riverside Park fork out even more money to pay for something that should be done anyway?

I'm sure she has more work to do than personally invite you or others like yourself to every tourism-related meeting or event. The adverts and articles promoting the event were in the local papers for a reason.

It must be awfully difficult for such a busy person to maintain an email database for spamming interested parties before an event. :rolleyes:

Disappointingly arrogant attitude to a simple request.

Tough - guess I'm off your Christmas card list.

Hilarious

Glad you found a factual statement amusing.

Thank you.

You may have heard of commercial rates. Why should the Riverside Park fork out even more money to pay for something that should be done anyway?

So, because the Riverside Park pay rates they shouldn't be bothered sponsoring anything for the improvement of the town? Fair enough but then the proprietor should stop pontificating about the need for other people to do something to make the town look better.

I think JD was stating an opinion... in his opinion it would be in the best interests of the Riverside to sponsor the upkeep of the playground.

(In my opinion) I would agree with this on the basis that a large number of families with small childeren who visit the hotel also use the playground. Therefore it should be in the best interests of the hotel to ensure that it is well kept. Whitford House have their own private playground.

If I was the owner I know I would want the playground to be well kept. The only real Catch-22 is the fact that it isn't monitored and is regularly abused... which is a real downer.

I think if JD said today was Friday certain people would disagree with him.

• Advertisement

On a more positive note, the near derelict former internet cafe on Castle Street is currently getting renovated and I'm told - a new tenant! :)

Looks like Garahy's Solicitors is expanding,I spotted their sign in the window.

zerks wrote: »
    Looks like Garahy's Solicitors is expanding,I spotted their sign in the window.

I don't think so - a little bird tells me that he is splitting from his business partner (Breen ?) and she is moving elsewhere. I'm pretty sure that there is an unrelated tenant moving into the internet cafe. :)

The former cafe looks well (at the moment) since its repaint but a more unserviceable colour scheme it's hard to imagine.

Incidentally, the seats have, at last, returned to the Market Square (to different locations) and appear to have been repainted by somebody using a yard brush.

Current starting prices on the Internet Cafe are...boutique 10/2 on. hairdressers...5/3. Something original and of value 50/1. All monies returned if it turns out to be a phone shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Padjo1981

I don't think so - a little bird tells me that he is splitting from his business partner (Breen ?) and she is moving elsewhere. I'm pretty sure that there is an unrelated tenant moving into the internet cafe. :)

The former cafe looks well (at the moment) since its repaint but a more unserviceable colour scheme it's hard to imagine.

Incidentally, the seats have, at last, returned to the Market Square (to different locations) and appear to have been repainted by somebody using a yard brush.
    There is a solicitor going into one of the unites beside dunnes, I think the name on it was Breen.

Padjo1981 wrote: »
    There is a solicitor going into one of the unites beside dunnes, I think the name on it was Breen.

It is Breens,there was an ad in the Echo last week stating that they had split their practice from Garahy's and were moving to a new premises in Irish St.

JayEnnis wrote: »
    That's funny, I'm sitting in it right now :P

There is plenty of demand for airsoft in Wexford so I would say it was well researched.

Can't have been that much of a demand - closing down sale in the window this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭UpHill

I would have to say that I would agree that Enniscorthy should be concentrating on getting the small things right first rather than big showpiece items. No point in building up Vinegar Hill as a Tourism location if they can't put an end to the illegal dumping etc. Enniscorthy is such a beautiful town it sickens me to the stomach to see all the random littering after a Saturday night. The tidy towns guys I see them out on Sunday mornings fair play to them they are brilliant to give up their time but it's like cleaning dog crap off your front lawn every day - stop the dog and you stop having to clean up the dog crap!

Litter is the single biggest problem Enniscorthy has as a tourism location - picture it - lovely sunny day, river flowing through the town, castle above and there is a load of wrappers and half eaten sandwiches around the seats opposite the Bus Stop Shop. Take a walk along the river, nice trees, well cut grass and a load of empty bottles and cans!

They need to radical approach to litter - zero tolerance. Litter sets the general tone for a town, it's much more serious than just the litter itself - just go to the litter league and see for yourself -nice town=low litter levels - crap hole=high litter levels . It just accepted than people on a Saturday night go to the chipper, park up along the river and throw everything out the window no questions asked!:confused: I have a go at people if I see them littering, prob. going to get a slap one of these days but it drives me crazy:mad:

It goes back to Broken Windown Theory which I am a big believer in
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broken_windows_theory

point in building up Vinegar Hill as a Tourism location

This reminds me-

Has anyone seen the state of the steps up to the hill?

Both the concrete steps up from the main carpark are in tatters as well as the timber sleepers over the other side by the 'Sliding Rock'.

It's total BS... surprised that someone hasn't had an accident up there.

Welcome to the internet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Ian Whelan

Today is Thursday!

Advertisement