Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Ian Whelan wrote: »
    Today is Thursday!

My mistake sorry.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Ian Whelan wrote: »
    Today is Thursday!

The comment was made on a Friday.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78752780&postcount=893.

MOD Warning.

After looking back over the last few weeks of posts on this thread. I am seeing posters taking sides nit picking and argy bargy going on and there is too much of handbags at 40 paces going on with certain posters on this thread. I dont care who has a Problem with it there will be be bans handed down if this continues

I would like to say to certain posters to take it to the handball alley to sort out your differences like in the old days only the Handball alley dont exist any more.

How's about afforestation of The Island, would 'nd cost a lot and make a great park in 15 or 20 years. Just a thought.

The Island beside the Train station is/was owned by a certain Mr Moorehouse who keeps his horses there and is prone to flooding.

• Advertisement

scaller wrote: »
    The Island beside the Train station is/was owned by a certain Mr Moorehouse who keeps his horses there and is prone to flooding.

The big island.? Always thought it was owned by the Council or commanage. Flooding would'nt matter.

kneemos wrote: »
    The big island.? Always thought it was owned by the Council or commanage. Flooding would'nt matter.

Yep as far as I know Mr Moorehouse from Esmonde road owns the island.
    I will have enquire in to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Enniscorthy Town Council seems hell bent on completely killing off what's left of the retail sector in the town and just as rents were starting to approach realistic levels they have seen fit to re-rate a whole raft of business premises throughout the town. At the same time there has been a renewal of the painting grants campaign so that we're going to be left with a town full of nicely decorated, empty, business premises. Incidentally, it appears the little bird that told me about a tenant going into the former internet cafe was misinformed and it's still to let. :mad:

PS The Athenaeum people are opening a bookshop in the former Satellite TV shop in the Market Square for the duration of the Strawberry Festival.

Springing up like mushrooms and lasting as long - the latest incarnation in the "old" Dunnes Stores carpark. You would think by now - the third similar venture in that premises - that the penny would have dropped. I wish them well but....

ROSSETTAS%2B001.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭wexford12

If people think Enniscorthy is a litter zone now just wait till next weekend when 10,000 crackers take part in Strawberry fest.I worked last year for about an hour and ran out of the place OMG iv never seen anything like it. The quote of the night was from a local bus driver telling me we don't want taxis here lad go on with you . LOL LOL he was told where to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Ian7

wexford12 wrote: »
    If people think Enniscorthy is a litter zone now just wait till next weekend when 10,000 crackers take part in Strawberry fest.I worked last year for about an hour and ran out of the place OMG iv never seen anything like it. The quote of the night was from a local bus driver telling me we don't want taxis here lad go on with you . LOL LOL he was told where to go.

Unfortunately, the litter thing is a problem at EVERY festival, large or small. Enniscorthy is not unique in that regard. Are you saying you left your work place after an hour just because there was litter being thrown around?
    I thought it was quite well run in that area, there used to be worse litter when the main event was held in the market square.

Also, that taxi thing makes no sense, please clarify.

The taxi thing was what happened they don't want taxis in the town even the local council came out in the paper saying "we don't want taxis down here they are to expensive and will take over the bus trade and loose local jobs"
    Where does he think the drivers will come from Dublin lol.
    Anyway the main topic was about the litter and I'm sorry but the litter after the pubs etc is unreal do people not use bins.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 brk69

As a former Enniscorthy resident and a frequent visitor to the town, it's not the litter (which is pretty bad) but the amount of dog s**t that is left on the footpaths for people to walk in that bothers me. Particularly bad is the part of the Slí na Sláinte walk that goes up Summer Hill and around by the Blackstoops roundabout. I understand that people have to walk their dogs - I'm a dog owner myself - but please scoop the poop! Nappy sacks, available at a cheap price in any supermarket, are ideal for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭anamaria

I agree on the dog fouling issue. I have a dog myself and went for a few lovely walks on the prom. I carry bags all the time but noticed that there are no litter bins for the whole length of the prom from the car park down. I reckon in the summer it is a lovely place for a picnic also. Surely it would be worth having a liter bin halfway down or something like that. I know that people who are inclined to pick up after themselves appreciate having somewhere to put it rather than carrying it the whole way down and back :)

Wexford Quays have a problem with dog dirt also, but they have poop scoops and bin available so it keeps the dirt to a minimum. I know sometimes I am out and realise I have forgotten a bag and I HATE leaving anything so it is nice to have a back-up

anamaria wrote: »
    I agree on the dog fouling issue. I have a dog myself and went for a few lovely walks on the prom. I carry bags all the time but noticed that there are no litter bins for the whole length of the prom from the car park down. I reckon in the summer it is a lovely place for a picnic also. Surely it would be worth having a liter bin halfway down or something like that. I know that people who are inclined to pick up after themselves appreciate having somewhere to put it rather than carrying it the whole way down and back :)

Wexford Quays have a problem with dog dirt also, but they have poop scoops and bin available so it keeps the dirt to a minimum. I know sometimes I am out and realise I have forgotten a bag and I HATE leaving anything so it is nice to have a back-up

Problem with bins on the prom is (if thier not set on fire every night) somebody would have to walk down and back to empty the bin and then down and back to replace it. Time consuming process. Probably need to made

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

somebody would have to walk down and back to empty the bin and then down and back to replace it

:D

Seems like a problem with many bins around the town.

You'd think by now that the town councillors + co could have come up with a plan as to how they might achieve this....

... or maybe not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 brk69

It's not too much of a problem to carry home your own rubbish. In fact it's great training for kids. At the school my kids go to, they must be responsible for all their own leftovers and papers. They have to take them home. It also cut down on the cost of waste collection our school. I know as a child my pockets always had bits of papers/wrappers etc. (great training from my mam ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Ian7

The taxi thing was what happened they don't want taxis in the town even the local council came out in the paper saying "we don't want taxis down here they are to expensive and will take over the bus trade and loose local jobs"

Ah, do you mean individual taxi cabs with maybe a taxi rank? and by bus do you mean hackney bus? We don't have a local bus service.

Am I wrong in presuming you drive a taxi cab in Wexford town but were working up in Enniscorthy for the strawberry fest? If so, is that even legal?

Anyway the main topic was about the litter and I'm sorry but the litter after the pubs etc is unreal do people not use bins.

Agreed, its ridiculous. Morals are out the door at that hour but this happens everywhere.

brk69 wrote: »
    It's not too much of a problem to carry home your own rubbish. In fact it's great training for kids. At the school my kids go to, they must be responsible for all their own leftovers and papers. They have to take them home. It also cut down on the cost of waste collection our school. I know as a child my pockets always had bits of papers/wrappers etc. (great training from my mam ;) )

I take it from the above that your kids don't attend St.Mary's CBS on the Millpark Road. ;)

Ian7 wrote: »
    Ah, do you mean individual taxi cabs with maybe a taxi rank? and by bus do you mean hackney bus? We don't have a local bus service.

Taxis or a taxi rank which was turned down by the town council with their quote we don't want those Dublin drivers coming down here the bus cab company is doing a wonderful job.They drive 14 seat mini buses which is not legal to pick up and drop of multi fares much as they will say they can.14 and 16 seat buses are only to be used for group pre booked and one person to pay the fare not the €3 each home

Am I wrong in presuming you drive a taxi cab in Wexford town but were working up in Enniscorthy for the strawberry fest? If so, is that even legal?

Yes I work in Wexford any driver with a licence to operate in Co Wexford can work anywhere in the county

Agreed, its ridiculous. Morals are out the door at that hour but this happens everywhere.

You might of seen another thread I started here about Wexford IMO I think its gone down hill quickly and not the place it was when I made the move 15 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I take it from the above that your kids don't attend St.Mary's CBS on the Millpark Road. ;)

Took a walk along the Millpark Road and down the lane opposite the school to the Prom last week,the amount of rubbish was unreal.At least up by the Tec I've seen students on litter duty plus local residents try to keep the area clean also.(still lots of dogsh1te though)

Another retail business bites the dust but at least it's not a total loss to the owner as they are relocating the business to Waterford. The town is awash with painters at the moment (probably due to the Council grant scheme) but no sign of new tenants for the premises being given a makeover.

SHOP%2B002.JPG
    Cinderella's, Castle Street, Enniscorthy

• Registered Users Posts: 43 wolverette

I visited Enniscorthy park today with my youngest son. I was a bit shocked by the state of the park. Rubbish was strewn all around the two bins. Two men where cutting the grass in the park and surrounding area. I really felt sorry for them but what made me really mad was that most of the rubbish was empty lager cans. Its hard to stomach how some people make a good effort to keep a place clean and others mess it up for kids.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭UpHill

They have CCTV now - can't they not use that to do people for littering/dog fouling? The tidy towns group are brilliant people, they keep at it in fairness to them even in the face of idiots continuing to rubbish the town

Maybe the message has not got to the powers that be - need to use a bit of the stick and less of the carrot, maybe they really don't see it as a major problem but as a petty incident

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

Where is Enniscorthy Park?

Riverside? Fairgreen? Somewhere else?

Where is Enniscorthy Park?

Riverside? Fairgreen? Somewhere else?

Where is Riverside? I know there's a hotel called Riverside, but there's no area called Riverside.

LOL your too funny :o

I'm asking a serious question; where is Enniscorthy park?

What difference does it make?

In the context of wolverette's post it doesn't matter... you can just assume that there were dumped lager cans (yours?) in a playground in town. Which one it was is irrelevant... there's a broader issue.

Oh.. hang on.. it just occured to me now why you want to know -

You're looking for drinking buddies, someone you can share your Tesco - cheap can bargain alert :D

• Advertisement

Your getting great mileage out of that one johnboy, keep it up, its still funny.

Advertisement