Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

wolverette wrote: »
    I visited Enniscorthy park today with my youngest son. I was a bit shocked by the state of the park. Rubbish was strewn all around the two bins. Two men where cutting the grass in the park and surrounding area. I really felt sorry for them but what made me really mad was that most of the rubbish was empty lager cans. Its hard to stomach how some people make a good effort to keep a place clean and others mess it up for kids.:mad:

Did you pick up the cans as a matter of interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 wolverette

I was visiting Enniscorthy, I don't know the name of the area but it was the park down near the river. And no I didn't pick up the rubbish as I had my kid with me but I wouldn't have without gloves and no I'm not afraid of a bit of dirt but there was alot of different types of rubbish. The cans were the most noticeable because there were so many of them. I don't think the age group that the park is aimed at would be buying the cans let alone drinking the contents. Tidy Towns do a good job and I support them any way I can. I teach my kids to bin their rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Love the red & white flags up around the town for the procession,along with the tricolours it makes us look as if we are also supporting Poland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

zerks wrote: »
    Love the red & white flags up around the town for the procession,along with the tricolours it makes us look as if we are also supporting Poland.
    LOL, I had to do a double take on that yesterday. I defo thought they were Polish flags until I drove up by St. Sennans Church and then it dawned on me:D

Is there a refund on the household charge for everyday the water supply looks like urine.?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

This was the Slaney at Enniscorthy about 5.30pm this evening - very high after the heavy rain but I think the danger of flooding may have receded.

River%2B002.jpg

Photo © Robin MGP

and below by JD - even "The Arches Bar" is flooded! :D

ecorthy%2B16%2Bjune%2B011.JPG

Congrats to those that let their dogs shite in the grass around the playground at Bellfield,my young fella had the pleasure of walking in one the other day while down playing there,some people have no consideration.Has anyone EVER been fined for this in the town? Can't recall one instance of anyone being fined for dog fouling yet the streets and green areas of the town are covered in dogsh1t.

Any day of the week many of Enniscorthy's well known citizens can be seen parading their dogs through the streets and I've yet to see anybody clear-up after their pets. Add in the various dogs that are turned out each day to wander the streets and is it any wonder the place is in such a state. Incidentally , absolutely no attempt is being made to remove the chewing gum now spreading all over the recently pedestrianised Rafter Street.

What do folks on here think of the plans for the town now that the flood barriers & removal of the 'new bridge' seem to have gotten the green light.

Will we call the replacement bridge 'The Newerer Bridge'?

Dogs on the street knew that the new bridge was too low when it was built.

• Advertisement

zerks wrote: »
    What do folks on here think of the plans for the town now that the flood barriers & removal of the 'new bridge' seem to have gotten the green light.

Will we call the replacement bridge 'The Newerer Bridge'?

The bridge formerly known as rafter bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

kneemos wrote: »
    The bridge formerly known as rafter bridge.
    Nobody EVER calls it that.

What's the story with the flood walls? The figure of €32 million to wreck the town is in the public domain - is it correct? If it is, it would be better put in a bank account and the interest would be more than sufficient to pay for any future flood damage. The town needs the proposed flood protection scheme like a hole in the head. Would it not be better to put the Slaney in a large concrete pipe and cover it in completely - it couldn't be more visually offensive.

Incidentally Enniscorthy Tourism's website is still woefully out of date........why do I bother as nobody else seems to give a fig.

http://enniscorthytourism.com/categories/shopping_in_wexford-36.html

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

It would make more sense to dreg or dig the river bed a lot deeper from the rock which is about 1 mile north of the old bridge to the oil hole which past the new pedestrian bridge at the end of the prom. Widen the river at the island by taking away some of the island and do the same down at the bear meadows across from the playground riverside hotel. The depth of the water between the 2 bridges is so low at low tide it is possible for fishermen to wade from one side to another.

But then again its Enniscorthy town council who are sitting down thinking over this and now it seems the town will be divided by a Wall like what Berlin was in the 60s.
    And sure you can guess who is claiming the responsibility for this €40 million works and taking all the praise from the housing estates. And I wouldn't mind he was not even on the radio yesterday with the town clerk talking about it. I wonder will local people be employed in this major development.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

removal of the 'new bridge'

Rafter Bridge?

jpb1974 wrote: »
    Rafter Bridge?

Yep Rafter Bridge will be demolished and a pedestrian bridge put there instead. The New Bridge built down the Wexford road near st Senans hospital

Ah right, Rafter Bridge, got it now.

Thanks

jpb1974 wrote: »
    Ah right, Rafter Bridge, got it now.

Thanks

Yep the Seamus Rafter bridge.

Ah right.. Seamus Rafter Bridge... thanks, appreciate the clarification on that.

Is there an alternative to "THE WALL"

• Advertisement

Is there an alternative to "THE WALL"

There is. see post 947. DIG DIG DIG.

you'll still have the same amount of water coming downriver.Probably have to dig out all of the bare meadow to make a difference downstream. I'd imagine.

you'll still have the same amount of water coming downriver.Probably have to dig out all of the bare meadow to make a difference downstream. I'd imagine.

The main problem is between the Rock and the Seamus Rafter bridge.
    The river is not deep at all at low tide between the 2 main bridges . Digging out the Island and bare meadows would make a huge difference. There is a small island above scarawalsh bridge that also could be done away with. But it seems instead of digging down they will be building up.

scaller wrote: »
    The main problem is between the Rock and the Seamus Rafter bridge.
    The river is not deep at all at low tide between the 2 main bridges . Digging out the Island and bare meadows would make a huge difference. There is a small island above scarawalsh bridge that also could be done away with. But it seems instead of digging down they will be building up.

No use digging anything out,the river will find it's own level and will still flood.The river was deeper between the 2 bridges years ago yet still flooded the town.The simple fact is that anything built beside a river runs the risk of flooding.I've seen the river in flood further up & it was roughly 14 feet higher than normal.
    The flood defenses may not even work as the river has been known to flood through Templeshannon,it'd be pointless building a wall along the prom only to have the water flow along behind it and still flood the street.

Just noticed today that yet another 'cash for goods' http://www.cashencounters.com outlet is opening on Main Street (where Bonita's Boutique was) - not an addition to the town's retail attractions in my opinion. That makes three such outlets in the town now if you count the 'Cash for Gold' outlet on the Island Road and the other shop near Courtney Print in the Super Valu carpark. There are also two cash for clothing outlets....oh dear....last one out switch the lights off. :(

more like a pawnbrokers this one I think.

more like a pawnbrokers this one I think.

I want to see these guys working in it.

url1.jpg

The town is being flooded with 'recession shops',I don't mind the discount places too much as I can pick up some handy bits & bobs there,but I don't like the cash for gold/clothes type places.

County Show is cancelled this year due to the wet weather & the recent Strawberry Fest leaving The Showgrounds in an unusable state.Won't miss it really-it too has been dying a death & has been overtaken by the likes of the Carrig on Bannow Show.

I would be concerned if they turned out like this
    Hardcore+Pawn+Season+4+Episode+5+-+Les+Loses+It.jpg

• Advertisement

If the Wexford traffic comes across the new,new bridge won't it produce gridlock in the Mill Park Road, Abbey Square area.

Advertisement