Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

euro%2Bshop%2B002.JPG

And another one bites the dust! Apparently the €UR Price chain of discount shops has closed down. The sign on the door today says closed for stocktaking but according to word on the street, the staff have been told their jobs are gone. Sorry to see this particular shop close as the girls who were worked there were amongst the most pleasant to deal with in the town. :(
    That's a pity. We still have the Chinese owned one beside Eric Barron's which seems to be open 27 hours a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

TheChevron wrote: »
    That's a pity. We still have the Chinese owned one beside Eric Barron's which seems to be open 27 hours a day.

Is that why the Chinese are taking over the world.?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

which seems to be open 27 hours a day

But there are only 24 hours in a day :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭barney 20v

euro%2Bshop%2B002.JPG

And another one bites the dust! Apparently the €UR Price chain of discount shops has closed down. The sign on the door today says closed for stocktaking but according to word on the street, the staff have been told their jobs are gone. Sorry to see this particular shop close as the girls who were worked there were amongst the most pleasant to deal with in the town. :(
    The staff in the waterford store are holding a sit-in in an attempt to get payment due to them although after several days trying to get the truth of the matter i am no nearer!
    Meanwhile the staff of the enniscorthy branch along with 6 other stores are waiting for due payments longer than necessary due to the "action" taken in waterford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Apparently Abrakebabra has bitten the dust - again - but I am open to correction.

abra%2B002.JPG

Meanwhile this morning the anti-household tax people held their weekly protest outside Paul Kehoe's office - this time with the bold Paul trapped inside during his clinic. :D

abra%2B003.JPG

While down at the Castle visitors stood around unable to gain admission due to the bizarre opening times! 12 Noon at weekends. :rolleyes:

abra%2B005.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Abrekebabra in Wexford "closed until further notice",wonder if this is related to the one in Enniscorthy?

Enniscorthy is on Nationwide at 7pm on RTE 1.Get the popcorn ready.

Put a good gloss on the town alright but why the likes of Coolbawn, Castleboro and Wilton which are of no value to the town as tourist resources as they are on private property. The view from the Keep - and that's it - I had forgotten just how little there is to see in the castle now.

The old museum had something to see round every corner.Thats the barest looking spectacle I've ever seen.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

zerks wrote: »
    Enniscorthy is on Nationwide at 7pm on RTE 1.Get the popcorn ready.

http://www.rte.ie/player/#!v=10037299

• Advertisement

Some work going on at the Cathedral,scaffolding in place now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Wallop 64

kneemos wrote: »
    The old museum had something to see round every corner.Thats the barest looking spectacle I've ever seen.

Its like the story of the emperors new clothes

Depiction of former residents living quarters,seriously.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 ICCM

Apparently the €UR Price chain of discount shops has closed down. . :(

It really is a bad sign when the discount shops are struggling, seemed to have the best position out of the 3 of this type of shops in the town centre

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭barney 20v

ICCM wrote: »
    It really is a bad sign when the discount shops are struggling, seemed to have the best position out of the 3 of this type of shops in the town centre
    When the council made the street pedestrian only it had a serious negative effect on trade.. but they were only 1 store of a chain of 8.
    I think 10 or so people from the area have lost their jobs as a result of this.

New comittee set up in town to combat job losses,fair play to them tackling the vacant Dunnes issue but they ruined it all by complaining that the proposed new bridge will kill the town.One of the main reasons people avoid the town is the traffic,hopefully the relocation of the bridge and new traffic plan will solve some of the congestion.

New comittee set up in town to combat job losses,fair play to them tackling the vacant Dunnes issue but they ruined it all by complaining that the proposed new bridge will kill the town.One of the main reasons people avoid the town is the traffic,hopefully the relocation of the bridge and new traffic plan will solve some of the congestion.

Have they published a traffic plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 ICCM

A traffic plan could be fairly simple IMHO - all that is required is a bypass for the N11 traffic, the one way system around the river is a nightmare and fairly dangerous for pedestrians as well

Have they published a traffic plan.

I was just going by what was reported on S.E Radio,going by the report it seems there is a traffic plan drawn up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭paulaa

Depiction of former residents living quarters,seriously.?

I was there a few days ago with a visitor from Holland . I was disappointed and a bit ashamed that this is what our "county" museum is offering. Wexford has a rich and varied history that is in no way being represented in the Castle as it stands

• Advertisement

Ah yes, but then officially they say it isn't the County Museum any more - it's a museum about the castle and its place in Enniscorthy? The contents of the original museum are probably mouldering in crates somewhere. Less is more and it's all about interpreting a few items with an emphasis on artistic interpretations of what things may have looked like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭paulaa

I was told the original artifacts are being stored in the old Co. Hall and will be rotated back to the Castle on a regular basis.

As it stands I could not in all fairness recommend a visit to the castle to anyone. The town has little enough to recommend it to visitors without destroying the one focal point we have imo

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Ian7

Hey guys, been away from the thread for a while, and was trawling throw the last few pages to see whats goin on. I may have a few answers for some of the recently posts......(also some answers in the form of questions :D) apologies for the oncoming block of text..
    If the Wexford traffic comes across the new,new bridge won't it produce gridlock in the Mill Park Road, Abbey Square area.

the "new" new bridge is supposed to be located further down stream.
    Not sure really, the Church of Ireland had big plans for redeveloping it for their own use but I suspect that the money isn't available.

re: church institute building - The plans are divided up into different stages.. the roof, damp treatment (which was happening recently) and interior. Interior phase granted planning recently.
    jpb1974 wrote: »
    Some paint work done at the bottom of Templeshannon (not far from Rafter Bridge), across the road from Farrell's pharmacy where Martin Doyle's butchers once was many moons ago.

Problem is... it just cries out 'I'm am kip with new paint, but a kip nonetheless' :( It just sticks out like a sore thumb.

Its a community project thingy but in reality, the owners of that building should be held accountable for the state of it. As with every other building in disrepair around the town. This mentality of ignorance is absolutely appalling.
    Some work going on at the Cathedral,scaffolding in place now.

Re-pointing work going on to solve damp problems.

Traffic still ends up in the Abbey Square.

How come there is'nt a plaque or an inscription on the Father Murphy statue or do I need specs

Not being smart but it does say 1798 on it in large script. Many of you may not agree with me but I think the lack of a written description adds a bit of charm and mystery. Not everything should be spelled out and explained.

Traffic still ends up in the Abbey Square.

well then nothing changes..whats your question again?

Edit: sorry that sounded a bit snotty.

I see what you mean about the mill park road problem now. I misread your question.

Ian7 wrote: »
    well then nothing changes..whats your question again?

Whats flowing across the two lane bridge at the moment ends up on the Mill Park Rd blocking side streets and Castle Hill.

Ian7 wrote: »
    Not being smart but it does say 1798 on it in large script. Many of you may not agree with me but I think the lack of a written description adds a bit of charm and mystery. Not everything should be spelled out and explained.
    Tourists might like to know.

Tourists might like to know.

Perhaps, but as a serious question, I've always wondered if spoon feeding visitors is the way to treat tourism (i'm no expert but maybe it's a viable strategy) and should we in fact have a written description on every landmark?

To me and I'm sure the tourists would make the connection, I feel the statue represents ordinary people caught in a violent struggle i.e. 1798 and if they were really curious about the statue they might consult whatever guide book they have or maybe ask a local.

• Advertisement

Nice to see large crowds in town for the Fleadh,pity the footpath by the tech where theres a huge amount of visitors is covered in dog excrement.A nice welcome gift from local dog owners.

Advertisement