Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭barney 20v

"Major roads in Galway and Wexford will be among the infrastructure projects to receive funding when a stimulus package of more than €2 billion is announced today"
    Looks like the Enniscorthy and New Ross bypasses have finally got the go ahead under a PPP... hopefully some un-employed locals can get some work on this.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0717/breaking2.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

barney 20v wrote: »
    "Major roads in Galway and Wexford will be among the infrastructure projects to receive funding when a stimulus package of more than €2 billion is announced today"
    Looks like the Enniscorthy and New Ross bypasses have finally got the go ahead under a PPP... hopefully some un-employed locals can get some work on this.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0717/breaking2.html

Work on Enniscorthy bypass expected to finish Summer 2014,that means work to start within the next few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Bards

zerks wrote: »
    Work on Enniscorthy bypass expected to finish Summer 2014,that means work to start within the next few months.

Afraid not - a lot can happen in 2.5 Years

http://per.gov.ie/2012/07/17/speech-...ture-stimulus/

Timeframe for Delivery
    M11 Gorey to Enniscorthy and the New Ross bypass are expected to commence by end 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Some things never change....Ministers still building roads in thier back yards.Gombeen men.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Why is this allowed to continue? The shop premises that formerly housed a 'head' shop in Slaney Place has been in this state for well over a year. The building is 'apparently' owned by one of Enniscorthy's most respected business mafia. How is the town to progress in the Tidy Towns competition with this sort of nonsense? What do tourists make of it? :mad:

shop%2B002.JPG

Bards wrote: »
    Afraid not - a lot can happen in 2.5 Years

http://per.gov.ie/2012/07/17/speech-...ture-stimulus/

Timeframe for Delivery
    M11 Gorey to Enniscorthy and the New Ross bypass are expected to commence by end 2014.

Brendan Howlin saying work will commence in 2014 while our councillors are saying it will be finished in 2014.It's a massive project & for it to be complete in 2 years,work should start immediately.I find it strange that projects in the West seem to get precedence every time???

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭barney 20v

kneemos wrote: »
    Some things never change....Ministers still building roads in thier back yards.Gombeen men.
    This was proposed by the previous goverment and has been selected mainly because of its " shovel ready " status.. Co Wexford has the least developed road network of all the south -eastern counties so its only right that the network is upgraded and two well known bottle necks removed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 ICCM

Why is this allowed to continue? The shop premises that formerly housed a 'head' shop in Slaney Place has been in this state for well over a year. The building is 'apparently' owned by one of Enniscorthy's most respected business mafia. How is the town to progress in the Tidy Towns competition with this sort of nonsense? What do tourists make of it? :mad:

The council should charge higher rates for commercial buildings that are allowed to fall into disrepair by the owners, all this building needs is a lick of paint and a covering for the glass panes

ICCM wrote: »
    The council should charge higher rates for commercial buildings that are allowed to fall into disrepair by the owners, all this building needs is a lick of paint and a covering for the glass panes

They tried to impose charges on the Old Murphy Floods site but ended up renting the space as a car park...lol, you couldn't make it up.Enforcement would be the way to go & as you said a lick of paint & some glass would do a job on making it look presentable.

At least all the rain washed away the blood that was left where some moron put their hand through the glass on the door of the former Head Shop.

• Advertisement

I thought that my luck was in last night but it was not to be - anyone know what was happening? :D

FIRE%2B001.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I thought that my luck was in last night but it was not to be - anyone know what was happening? :D

FIRE%2B001.JPG

Somebody burning up the dancefloor.

The Roof,The Roof,The Roof is on fire......

Get's coat.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭JimboJones74

Was in the Museum at weekend and its such a change from last visit 5 years or more ago. Well done to all concerned and €4 is good value.

Was in the Museum at weekend and its such a change from last visit 5 years or more ago. Well done to all concerned and €4 is good value.

Puts me in mind of these lines from the Monty Python "Cheese Shop Sketch" - insert museum instead of cheese shop. :D

Customer: It's not much of a cheese shop, is it?

Owner: Finest in the district sir!

Customer: (annoyed) Explain the logic underlying that conclusion, please.

Owner: Well, it's so clean, sir!

Customer: It's certainly uncontaminated by cheese.

* In the last line substitute 'exhibits' for cheese.

I agree with both posts above,great job done on the place but a serious lack of exhibits compared to what there used to be.

A lot of activity in the Athenaeum over the last week or two - anybody know what's going on? Which faction is in control? It seems to be the Tony McClean Committee members doing all the work. I checked the website here: http://enniscorthyathenaeum.com/ but there's not much hard information. Perhaps tomorrow I'll try and ask one of the volunteers but I don't like having to doorstep people - they should keep us up-to-date on their website if they are looking for funds and free labour.

Groundworks for the new Gaelscoil have started,at last something positive for the town.....but will any locals get jobs in the construction phase?

Back to the negativity,just got a letter informing me that the Enniscorthy branch of Permanent tsb is closing in November.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭blindsider

A lot of activity in the Athenaeum over the last week or two - anybody know what's going on? Which faction is in control? It seems to be the Tony McClean Committee members doing all the work. I checked the website here: http://enniscorthyathenaeum.com/ but there's not much hard information. Perhaps tomorrow I'll try and ask one of the volunteers but I don't like having to doorstep people - they should keep us up-to-date on their website if they are looking for funds and free labour.

Just had a look at the Athenaeum web-site. Hopefully it will continue to progress into sth worthwhile.

One of the articles mentioned the screening of a film which was shot in Enniscorthy (Underground, 1969). Does anyone know anything about this film?

I have a reasonable recollection of a WWII film, andI was reliably informed that it was filmed in Enniscorthy.

Anyone able to shed more light on this? I've had a look on the web, but can't find anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭idle

I'm organising a stag in enniscorthy next month for between 30 and 40 lads and I'm looking for suggestions for activities on Saturday (in or close to the town) to keep us out of the pubs for a few hours. All suggestions welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Ian Whelan

idle wrote: »
    I'm organising a stag in enniscorthy next month for between 30 and 40 lads and I'm looking for suggestions for activities on Saturday (in or close to the town) to keep us out of the pubs for a few hours. All suggestions welcome.

Golf?

www.enniscorthygc.ie

blindsider wrote: »
    Just had a look at the Athenaeum web-site. Hopefully it will continue to progress into sth worthwhile.

One of the articles mentioned the screening of a film which was shot in Enniscorthy (Underground, 1969). Does anyone know anything about this film?

I have a reasonable recollection of a WWII film, andI was reliably informed that it was filmed in Enniscorthy.

Anyone able to shed more light on this? I've had a look on the web, but can't find anything.

There was plenty of filming in Enniscorthy - the railway station, Lett's brewery and the promenade, the cathedral etc.etc. Well worth buying for local interest but not a classic by any means.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066505/

It can be found on VHS (used and very scarce) but has also been recently released on DVD - http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&keywords=Underground%20(Robert%20Goulet)%20DVD&rh=n%3A2625373011%2Ck%3AUnderground%20(Robert%20Goulet)%20DVD&page=1

• Registered Users Posts: 29 trevr

http://www.quadattack.ie/

Also, newly opened pool and snooker hall....Icons.....down by the river towards Riverside Hotel

If you are staying in Treacy's Hotel which caters for stag & hen parties,they organise activities for the party.

http://www.treacyshotel.com/enniscorthy_hotels/contact_hotels_in_the_southeast.html

http://www.quadattack.ie/

http://www.deltaforcepaintball.ie/

Back to the negativity,just got a letter informing me that the Enniscorthy branch of Permanent tsb is closing in November.

Just got my letter today. The letter is a masterpiece of evasiveness - "there will be absolutely no change to your existing account....." my hole - it means longer queues in the other three banks or a trip to Gorey or Wexford if I want to do any over the counter transactions. The money spent in the Enniscorthy branch recently - the wheelchair lift and the brand new ATM at the counter speaks volumes about an institution that has had its head up its ass for years. Another fine building - albeit badly maintained - will lie vacant and add to the gloom already overwhelming the town. Of course it would make a good "County Museum" now that we no longer have one, and the tourist office could be moved in there from the council's tearooms National 1798 Centre.

Just got my letter today. The letter is a masterpiece of evasiveness - "there will be absolutely no change to your existing account....." my hole - it means longer queues in the other three banks or a trip to Gorey or Wexford if I want to do any over the counter transactions. The money spent in the Enniscorthy branch recently - the wheelchair lift and the brand new ATM at the counter speaks volumes about an institution that has had its head up its ass for years. Another fine building - albeit badly maintained - will lie vacant and add to the gloom already overwhelming the town. Of course it would make a good "County Museum" now that we no longer have one, and the tourist office could be moved in there from the council's tearooms National 1798 Centre.

68 branches of AIB to close or be amalgamated also,hope we don't lose that although I reckon they will close especially since they've spent a lot of money getting high speed fibre lines installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 trevr

68 branches of AIB to close or be amalgamated also,hope we don't lose that although I reckon they will close especially since they've spent a lot of money getting high speed fibre lines installed.

Bunclody is the only branch in Co. Wexford to close with all accounts and staff transferring to Enniscorthy by end of October......

trevr wrote: »
    Bunclody is the only branch in Co. Wexford to close with all accounts and staff transferring to Enniscorthy by end of October......

Aren't travellers cheques the favourite form of currency in Bunclody:pac:

Back to Enniscorthy,has anyone driven around the streets of Bellfield lately? The potholes have the depth to match the height of the speed ramps & this on the doorstep of Jackser Owens.

If anyone from the Council is reading this- DELAY SET TAR IS NOT A SOLUTION FOR FILLING POTHOLES!!!

• Advertisement

FIRE%2B001.JPG

Mystery solved,there was a fire in one of the flats above the nightclub.

Advertisement