Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Navarre wrote: »
    Traffic lights at Barrack street Mary street junction.

How long is it that these lights have been installed and they still are not working. Ridiculous in this day and age.

Somebody who's seemingly knowledgeable about these things felt that they'd interrupt the flow of traffic.Did they not know that traffic doesn't flow in Enniscorthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

Aside from food shopping(which you can get delievered by Tesco online), if I am going to buy anything else, clothes, electronics, garden stuff, furniture,etc, etc,(aside from checking the web) I will get into my car and going to Gorey or Wexford, or if I want to go further I will go Dublin or Waterford.

From my house, north side of Enniscorthy, I can get on N11 and be in Gorey in 25 minutes or I can go out through Tomalosset and onto Wexford road via Edermine. All though thats longer it makes more sense and is less stressful than joining the Island Rd. or fighting my way through the centre of Enniscorthy. I still get to Wexford in 25-30minutes.

Between Wexford and Gorey there is DID, Joyces, Redmond Electric, Dominic Smyths, Woodies, More Home Stores, Tescos x2, many more clothing and furniture stores,garden centres in most instances there is free parking. I can get to Carlow in 45/50minutes and Dundrum in 90/100 minutes. It could and has taken me 20 minutes to get into Enniscorthy and look for parking and that parking could be any where.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

In other words more money wasted by the council to set-up these lights and then they dont even switch them on because some one reckons that it will disrupt the flow of traffic. Brilliant less than 50 yards down the road when a lorry is TRYING to back into dunnes stores the traffic as far back as the CBS comes to a standstill.

I'm sure it's just coincidence but I've noticed several gardai on daytime patrol around the town in recent days - probably the good weather. :D

Maybe they have run out of petrol money or cars or both.

Possible they are more active due to the amount of house break-ins. Although foot patrols in town wont do anything for that even criminals dont want to be stuck in Enniscorthy traffic.

Navarre wrote: »
    In other words more money wasted by the council to set-up these lights and then they dont even switch them on because some one reckons that it will disrupt the flow of traffic. Brilliant less than 50 yards down the road when a lorry is TRYING to back into dunnes stores the traffic as far back as the CBS comes to a standstill.

I dont think the traffic lights at Dunnes are the problem of the Council. I believe they were a condition of Dunnes planning permission and the Dunnes are responsible for getting them connected and working before handing the running of them over to local council as would be the case with public lights in a private housing estate for example. Developers puts them in and gets them running and then Council assume maintainence and running under the public lighting scheme with ESB / Airtricity.

• Advertisement

sundula wrote: »
    Aside from food shopping(which you can get delievered by Tesco online), if I am going to buy anything else, clothes, electronics, garden stuff, furniture,etc, etc,(aside from checking the web) I will get into my car and going to Gorey or Wexford, or if I want to go further I will go Dublin or Waterford.

From my house, north side of Enniscorthy, I can get on N11 and be in Gorey in 25 minutes or I can go out through Tomalosset and onto Wexford road via Edermine. All though thats longer it makes more sense and is less stressful than joining the Island Rd. or fighting my way through the centre of Enniscorthy. I still get to Wexford in 25-30minutes.

Between Wexford and Gorey there is DID, Joyces, Redmond Electric, Dominic Smyths, Woodies, More Home Stores, Tescos x2, many more clothing and furniture stores,garden centres in most instances there is free parking. I can get to Carlow in 45/50minutes and Dundrum in 90/100 minutes. It could and has taken me 20 minutes to get into Enniscorthy and look for parking and that parking could be any where.

Good post,I timed a drive from one side of Enniscorthy to the other,it took me 25 minutes to get from Aldi to The Quay,I could've been to Wexford & parked up in that time.Has anyone noticed how Tesco home delivery vans are always in Enniscorthy,we might not have a store but we still shop there & in increasing numbers.

Dundrum in 90-100 mins:eek: It's only an hours drive to Dundrum & will be even quicker in about a year when we have the new road built from The Beehive to the Arklow Bypass.

As much as we try to find something positive about the town,the negative always outweighs it.

Any one remember after the big freeze in 2010. Munster hill was like the moon with all the craters. It was like that for months until the council had 5 men and 2 machines (on hire from power plant) working on it for a week filling potholes and within a fortnight a UK contract company came along dug up the road and relaid it. That was just brilliant thinking ( waste of money) on the councils behalf.

Enniscorthy on a Saturday-AAAAAAGGGHHHH!!!!

Gridlock from one end of it to another,the Street Rythms had no effect so we can't blame that.No wonder people try to avoid the place.

Those lights at Barrack St/Island Rd. really should be used.It's a nightmare getting out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

zerks wrote: »
    Those lights at Barrack St/Island Rd. really should be used.It's a nightmare getting out there.

I agree, have those light ever been turned on?
    But just wait till the schools open, it'll be worse. The sooner the by-pass is built the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

The Street Rhythms festival http://www.enniscorthystreetrhythms.com/2012-events seemed to bring a bit of life/noise into the town yesterday and although the music/light show at the castle wouldn't be my scene it seemed to be well organised. However, the sideshows etc. in Rafter Street left a lot to be desired - several disinterested craft workers mounting unintelligible displays that didn't make you want to investigate further and a stall selling reject charity shop paperbacks. Meanwhile a half-hearted book fair in the Anthenaeum at least gave me a chance to look inside the door. Weather is poor this morning so we will see what the day brings.

My Sports alarm was going full blast for 20 minutes this morning - again - and I'm damn sure that it is illegal to have such a defective alarm system that is a public nuisance. :mad:

• Advertisement

Another Charity shop open in town,Market Square where Hi-Def City used to be.

How many of these do we have now?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Another Charity shop open in town

Aye, it's no wonder the town is such a huge draw for shoppers all around the county and beyond...

<insert rolling tumbleweed here>

jpb1974 wrote: »
    Aye, it's no wonder the town is such a huge draw for shoppers all around the county and beyond...

<insert rolling tumbleweed here>

"Come to Enniscorthy & buy everyone else's leftovers",great tagline for the town.

In fairness the latest charity shop is different to the others in that it has no stock and it's only there for a fortnight, so hurry along. :D

Not strictly Enniscorthy but isn't life just great - my waste collector (Greenstar) has gone into receivership this evening, my bank (TSB) is closing its Enniscorthy branch in November and on October 24th my TV goes blank. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Padjo1981

I am in the same boat, more annoyed about the bank than the other 2 though. THink I'll have to change.
    Not strictly Enniscorthy but isn't life just great - my waste collector (Greenstar) has gone into receivership this evening, my bank (TSB) is closing its Enniscorthy branch in November and on October 24th my TV goes blank. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭jordata

Hehe. Me too. Except the bin because I changed a few months back to AES. Had a courtesy call this week from PTSB. Told me I can switch to New Ross, Wexford or Gorey - whichever is convenient! Duh none of them are convenient except on Saturdays when they are closed.

As for the TV going blank, having witnessed Daithi O'Se in stiletto heels :eek: last week I'm afraid to ever turn it on again so I'm not panicking about that.

You could buy a Saorview box in town for €80 or get the same one in Argos,Wexford for €50;)

As depressing as Enniscorthy is,especially on a wet day-the thought of being stuck with just the Irish channels is horrific.

zerks wrote: »
    You could buy a Saorview box in town for €80 or get the same one in Argos,Wexford for €50;)

As depressing as Enniscorthy is,especially on a wet day-the thought of being stuck with just the Irish channels is horrific.

Zerks you forget to mention there is only 1 saorview approved shop in Enniscorthy. We dont want people to end up buying unapproved equipment from unapproved shops.:eek::eek:

So AES buy the bin rounds from Wexford Co.Co & have now informed some rural customers in certain areas that they are withdrawing services as it's just not profitable,you couldn't make it up.

• Advertisement

In fairness the latest charity shop is different to the others in that it has no stock and it's only there for a fortnight, so hurry along. :D

It's gone already - didn't last for the second week. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Calpurnia69

Do your homework and find out what's really going on before you make judgements and indulge in amateur journalism. Shame on you for not researching this more thoroughly.

quote by Panch84

A Shambles In Two Acts

In response to the shambles that has become The Athenaeum “Restoration” fund, let me just say this.

To whom it may concern (I’m not writing two letters…..)

I am genuinely surprised that it took this long for egos to creep in and poison the well of creativity and good spirit that drew me to the project in the first place. Many a discussion was had by me and good friends regarding what could be done to bring some culture back into this town. Top of the list was always, “It’d be great to get the Athenaeum opened again.” Then this was quickly followed by joyous stories of doing shows with just three curtains rested on a massive loo roll holder to hide your teenage shame. My first experience on that stage began with some encouragement from the late Mr. Michael Talbot, a beautiful, quietly creative man that hailed from Galway and came to teach kids in St. Mary’s CBS, Mill Park Road.

He asked me and three other lads would we mind helping out “backstage” at the musical in town as part of our Gaisce Award in Transition Year. The Musical Society was under the direction of Mr. Ray Quigley and it took him about two days to persuade us to actually appear on stage. And that was it, I can’t speak for the other two guys but I was hooked. The buzz, the smiles, the laughter and the applause, I loved it all. My first experience of performing to people took place in the Athenaeum. And if I had space, I could list out over two hundred people in the same boat.

My how perspectives have changed since then. Now we’re not talking about a building that had the pleasure of playing host to Matty Kinnaird, Harry Ringwood, countless productions of the Musical and Drama Society. Not to mention the part the building played in 1916. No, now we’re stuck in a battle of school children’s egos. “It’s my building.”… “I’m the director… No, I’m the director….. I’m the director and I’m in bar for eternity and I have a force field, no comebacks.”

Hang your heads. Hang your heads in shame. Anyone that has had the pleasure of being on that stage and anyone with a love for the old bricks and mortar does not care one iota who is leader of a board. On the subject of boards, sort it out or leave and form another board, preferably full of outsiders. More importantly, sort it out and get the building opened so that the future generations of thinkers, dreamers, lovers, actors and musicians can enjoy the energy that hits you just upon waking into that hollowed building.

Do your homework and find out what's really going on before you make judgments and indulge in amateur journalism. Shame on you for not researching this more thoroughly.
    :confused:

If you know more about the Atheneum please let us know,shame to see a building with such history in the state it's in.

I'm sorry. I'm only new to this and I sent it to the wrong place - it was in relation to another post about the Athenaeum 'shambles'. My apologies:o

Calpurina69 welcome to the Wexford threads. Where was your post directed and I will move it for you and delete it from here as it wont cause confusion with posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Calpurnia69

Hi. Thank you.

Brought an out-of-town friend ( yes I do have one!) to "The Bailey" yesterday evening - he had a steak which was okay and I had an omelette which was okay. Service good. Noise level - loud music - annoying. Overall, unprompted by me, my friend gave it 6/10. I wasn't impressed and it was my first and probably last visit.

This morning we had coffee and cake in the "Cotton Tree" - ambience good except for the suspended ceiling (like something out an office), coffee good but cake stale. Good service and my friend gave it 6.5/10. My second visit and I'll be back as I like the place but I'll raise the stale cake issue.

I know we have a thread about burglaries in Wexford but keep an eye out folks as there's a spate of them around Enniscorthy at the moment & many are being carried out in broad daylight.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭lynp27

Brought an out-of-town friend ( yes I do have one!) to "The Bailey" yesterday evening - he had a steak which was okay and I had an omelette which was okay. Service good. Noise level - loud music - annoying. Overall, unprompted by me, my friend gave it 6/10. I wasn't impressed and it was my first and probably last visit.

This morning we had coffee and cake in the "Cotton Tree" - ambience good except for the suspended ceiling (like something out an office), coffee good but cake stale. Good service and my friend gave it 6.5/10. My second visit and I'll be back as I like the place but I'll raise the stale cake issue.

We went for breakfast in the river restaurant the other day 1 breakfast and 1 veggie one they were tiny. mine wouldnt have filled a mouse, i was still hungry after mine so went home for a sandwich. didnt think much of the service either we were sitting for 10 mins before we seen anyone for service and even then i had to go up to the counter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

Tony's Chipper on Rafter Street do a fantastic deal on Tuesdays. Any Pizza half price.

They are on par with Mallocca's pizza if you like them and I got a 12" Four Seasons for €6.50. Add a bag of chips and you have a cheap meal for 2/3 for under €9.

A margherita is only €5....cheap as chips.

I have to add in the chicken kebab from Denis's, its definitely an artery clogger but its absolutely fantastic.

Advertisement