Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

3 points off a bronze medal in The Tidy Towns competition,nice to see progress is being made.It's a pity the same culprits seem intent to cover the place with litter (they can keep their cars pimped & spotless but manage to leave rubbish everywhere they park)

One negative point was the amount & state of some of the vacant buildings around the town with The Atheneum as a prime example.

Another was the traffic & parking in the town.The adjudicators must have paid the Abbey Square/Mill Park Road area a visit.

Another point on the Tidy Towns,had a stroll along Rafter Street earlier,WHAT KIND OF MORON LETS THEIR DOG SHITE ON A PEDESTRIANISED AREA!!!

It's bad enough they do it on every footpath in the town but on a pedestrian area? :mad:

Had to dodge several of them & noticed a humdinger by one of the flower stands.

The tactile slabs at the pedestrian crossing at the Market Square are in a shocking state,they are meant to help blind people but even those with 20/20 vision will end up breaking their necks over them soon.Maybe the council are waiting for someone to claim before doing anything about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

After dropping my kids to school this morning, I took a tour of some of my favourite Enniscorthy blackspots - in the light of the increased points awarded in the 'Tidy Towns' competition. I shouldn't have bothered.

A tricolour rag flies outside the 1798 Centre - again - but at least the peeling fascia boards have been dealt with. And so down to the Children's Playground at the Promenade. Disgusting as usual. My pics don't do justice to just how bad it remains. Broken glass under the climbing frames, smashed bottles in the grass, the most obscene graffiti imaginable on the climbing frame and the timber items (seats, see-saw etc. are rotting away). Pics speak volumes.

ADVERTS%2B009.JPG

ADVERTS%2B010.JPG

And, while I think of it, when are the Zebra crossings on Parnell Avenue and St.John's Road going to be repainted or do we have to wait for somebody to be knocked down on them first. What about some warning signs - like the ones on Millpark Road? Pic below. I have even seen council workers speed through the crossing at Parnell Avenue when I have been stepping onto it with my kids.

ADVERTS%2B004.JPG

What a xxxxx kip this town is. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

The playground at the Riverside is a complete disgrace. I saw it in person two months ago and it seems to have gotten worse since then.

Here's the full Tidy Towns report on Enniscorthy http://www.tidytowns.ie/u_reports/2012/2012%20County%20Wexford%20Enniscorthy%20216.pdf - I find it difficult to believe anything contained in it after reading that the adjudicator visited the Promenade playground and didn't notice the state of the place. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

What's happening with the old Gael Scoil anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

What's happening with the old Gael Scoil anyone know?

Speaking of the Gael Scoil... I'm starting to wonder what traffic is going to be like up the Shannon when the new school opens.

It's hard enough to get one car up past the chapel and Centra at times... Fr. Murphy Park is a total and utter disaster, Fr. Cullens Terrace residents have been suffering a nightmare for donkey's years, the Shannon road surface has never been know to be the most reliable, traffic can be horrible going down the 'Back-Way' and from just beyond Mr. Price into town... and now there's set to be another traunch of cars attacking the area :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

jpb1974 wrote: »
    Speaking of the Gael Scoil... I'm starting to wonder what traffic is going to be like up the Shannon when the new school opens.

It's hard enough to get one car up past the chapel and Centra at times... Fr. Murphy Park is a total and utter disaster, Fr. Cullens Terrace residents have been suffering a nightmare for donkey's years, the Shannon road surface has never been know to be the most reliable, traffic can be horrible going down the 'Back-Way' and from just beyond Mr. Price into town... and now there's set to be another traunch of cars attacking the area :(
    Going up, I'd say either way would be ok excluding up by the St Sennans church.

Going back down, CARNAGE whichever way you go. It's bad enough as it is so adding another school run to that will be catastrophic.

TheChevron wrote: »
    Going up, I'd say either way would be ok excluding up by the St Sennans church.

Going back down, CARNAGE whichever way you go. It's bad enough as it is so adding another school run to that will be catastrophic.

Opening and closing times may be different,hopefully.

New Medical Centre to replace the shelved Tesco plan at Quarrypark according to the local press.This place is going to be massive going by what the papers say.

At least we are getting something in the town when so much else is closing (unless somebody else objects:rolleyes: )

• Advertisement

The rebirth of Colman's Pub on the Market Square draws near - super job has been done on the rebuilding. Neutral venue for Enniscorthy Boards.ie Christmas drinks? :D

COLMANS+020.JPG

The rebirth of Colman's Pub on the Market Square draws near - super job has been done on the rebuilding. Neutral venue for Enniscorthy Boards.ie Christmas drinks? :D

COLMANS+020.JPG

Are you taking up the lease on the place:D

zerks wrote: »
    Are you taking up the lease on the place:D

Would you be brave or mad to take the lease on it?

Even if I had money to burn, I wouldn't go into the pub trade - end up as my own best customer without a doubt. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

COLMANS+020.JPG
    I hope they have good bouncers, could get rowdy:D

Could do with some signage at the top of the Promenade quite a few cars are turning right across the bridge.

kneemos wrote: »
    Could do with some signage at the top of the Promenade quite a few cars are turning right across the bridge.

It wouldn't matter if they had a man standing in the road waving them to the left,some people would still turn into the oncoming traffic.Anyone that turns into 3 lanes of traffic heading towards them is a moron.

Paid a visit to the (fairly recently opened) tile store out the Old Dublin Road,strangely it's the only one in the whole town.Great selection & actually worked out cheaper than Right Price Tiles.
    Too often I've had good reason to complain about not being able to get the stuff I need in the town but this time it's not the case. (I'm not affiliated to the place in case anybody is wondering)

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

New Medical Centre to replace the shelved Tesco plan at Quarrypark according to the local press.This place is going to be massive going by what the papers say.

At least we are getting something in the town when so much else is closing (unless somebody else objects:rolleyes: )

just had a quick look at the site layout on the planning website, the proposed medical centre is on the Ferns side of the car show rooms, this is still leaves the Tesco/Retail park side free for something in the future.

If the medical centre went ahead, that shell of a petrol station was finished and they managed to develop a retail park then the entire site would be, in my opinion, an impressive welcome to that side of the town as visitors approach.

A lovely sight greeted me at the Old Bridge,some tourists were trying to get some pictures of the river while behind them Enniscorthy's Finest drank cans at lunchtime:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭blindsider

A lovely sight greeted me at the Old Bridge,some tourists were trying to get some pictures of the river while behind them Enniscorthy's Finest drank cans at lunchtime:(

Ah yes....the 'Bridge Bar'...or is it 'The Arches Bar'? Good to see that some things are recession-proof!

blindsider wrote: »
    Ah yes....the 'Bridge Bar'...or is it 'The Arches Bar'? Good to see that some things are recession-proof!

The Bridge Bar was open bright & early today,the regulars getting their fix of cheap lager at 10.30am.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Padjo1981

What's with the gardai all over the town today?

Padjo1981 wrote: »
    What's with the gardai all over the town today?
    Expecting heavy traffic for the ploughing championship I'd imagine.There's been three of them on the bridge all day,not the best stall in this weather.

Somebody moving into Eurprice..it appears.

It's great to drive through the town with ease,after all the fears of gridlock due to ploughing traffic,things are moving smoothly,actually better than a normal day in the town.
    Perhaps the Garda cones outside the BOI,Credit Union & St. Aidans school should be a permanent fixture-it was a pleasant sight not to see cars abandoned in those locations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Perhaps the Garda cones outside the BOI,Credit Union & St. Aidans school should be a permanent fixture

+1

Yeah, I thought traffic was moving well today but the gardai hogged a lot of the parking outside "MAD" in the Market Square. :D

The replacement shop for Eurprice (€shop) on Rafter Street is a branch of the Jean Depot http://www.facebook.com/JeanDepotIreland and is a welcome addition to the almost empty street.

• Advertisement

The replacement shop for Eurprice (€shop) on Rafter Street is a branch of the Jean Depot http://www.facebook.com/JeanDepotIreland and is a welcome addition to the almost empty street.

The town council must be reading this thread,they agree with all our sentiments that the place is a ghost town & are now changing the one way system at Murphy Floods to allow traffic up from Irish Street instead in order to get people into the town centre.
    More plans for retail at Quarrypark but Eddie Breen against the idea & want's any retail park to open in the town,with The Old Dunnes being one location (Dunnes might have something to say there)

Speaking of traffic,works going on at Scarawalsh Roundabout putting anti-skid surface on the approach roads,problem is,it's the roundabout itself that's lethal.

Advertisement