Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

The only thing that's going to breathe life into the town is to slash the rates but as turkeys don't vote for Christmas that isn't going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

Just heard that the council in their infinite wisdom have deemed that the Old Barracks Road (between Market Square and Irish Street) should revert to being a two-way system, rather than a one way.
    This is typical of the idiotic council apparently being controlled by traders (one in particular but anyone that knows Enniscorthy will know who I speak of).
    They changing it the new year GOING AGAINST ADVICE BY PROFESSIONALS
    Apparently one of the councilors declared it would be good for business as it would make it look busier if anything
    WTF????
    That road is barely big enough to fit one car through, never mind two.

MORONS!!!!

HB

The street will still be one-way but the flow of traffic is going to be reversed, thereby encouraging car loads of frustrated shoppers who have thus far been denied access to the thriving shopping area of the Market Square. It will be the saving of the town. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Have to agree... reversing the direction of the one way system there makes no sense at all.

When you could drive up it originally, it was a struggle to pull out there with the amount of traffic coming down from the Cathedral.

It did make sense to allow traffic coming down from the Cathedral to take a left turn there.

How this is going to promote shopping in the town centre is totally and utterly beyond me. As far as I can see, the only thing it might add to is the congestion.

I think what many fail to realize is that the variety and type of shops in the town is basically very poor and people just aren't hugely interested in them.

This time it's Vinegar Hill Pottery on Weafer Street which is hold a closing down sale - hurry along as next week is believed to be the final week. Several other shops - mentioning no names - are believed to be teetering on the brink too. The old bank building beside An Siopa Brog on Castle Street has a sign in the window offering it for lease and quite where that leaves the current tenant, the VEC, I don't know.

Meanwhile the Enniscorthy Tourism website has corrected a couple of mistakes and added some more - check out the 'improved' shopping page here: http://enniscorthytourism.com/categories/shopping_in_wexford-36.html Anybody remember when DV8 was in Slaney Street? :rolleyes:

Dun Laoghaire traders had a major blow-out with an officials from D'laire Rathdown County Council on Joe Duffy today, it's a pity we can't have a similar programme devoted to Enniscorthy while there's still something worth fighting over. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Remember this post from almost 2 & a half years ago,nothing has changed much.Sure,some of the buildings look nicer but that's no good if they are vacant.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=66680191&postcount=6

2 positive notes: New kids clothes shop in Slaney St. & a new sweet shop there also.

Had a pleasant stroll through the town this morning,dogsh1te every few feet & then the local "blue sky boozers" with their cans sipping away while walking down from the off licence.It'd make you proud of the place:(

On another topic,good honest article about the one way system from Irish Street being changed,worth a read.I agree with him regarding the gridlock that will ensue and traffic being the reason why people are avoiding the town centre.I've driven to Wexford in less time than it's taken me to get from one side of Enniscorthy to the other.

Work started on new Tesco in Gorey http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=81160195&postcount=27

They have no problem opening stores there but in Enniscorthy the local mafia keep a stranglehold on the town & are killing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

zerks wrote: »
    Work started on new Tesco in Gorey http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=81160195&postcount=27

They have no problem opening stores there but in Enniscorthy the local mafia keep a stranglehold on the town & are killing it.

Considering the negative effect on business and jobs that Tesco had in Wexford Town when its new store opened you can't blame certain people in Enniscorthy not wanting Tesco there.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

McLoughlin wrote: »
    Considering the negative effect on business and jobs that Tesco had in Wexford Town when its new store opened you can't blame certain people in Enniscorthy not wanting Tesco there.

Trouble is people are still shopping in Tesco.Maybe the way to go for the future is out of town shopping and turn town centres back to residential areas with cafes and niche shops.Anyway they're "fixing the road"so it shoule be OK.

• Advertisement

Was getting a tyre fixed this evening and whilst staring at the Boys Club on the Island Road it struck me that a lick of paint would really liven that place up.

Anyone know who owns the place or who is responsible for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭blindsider

Does Enniscorthy need a Tesco? (Straight question)

Dunnes is ok, and with Pettitts, Aldi/Lidl and the few convenience stores around the town, would a Tesco make that much difference? Is there not sufficient competition?

I don't live in Enniscorthy (and haven't in some time) so maybe I'm out of touch.

I will also admit a bias towards Aldi/Lidl where I do about 70% of my shopping - the rest is split between Dunnes and Tesco.

So, would a Tesco in town make a big difference to people's shopping habits?

blindsider wrote: »
    Does Enniscorthy need a Tesco? (Straight question)

Dunnes is ok, and with Pettitts, Aldi/Lidl and the few convenience stores around the town, would a Tesco make that much difference? Is there not sufficient competition?

I don't live in Enniscorthy (and haven't in some time) so maybe I'm out of touch.

I will also admit a bias towards Aldi/Lidl where I do about 70% of my shopping - the rest is split between Dunnes and Tesco.

So, would a Tesco in town make a big difference to people's shopping habits?

My point is not about Tesco per-se,it's more about how other towns have seen progress & seem to be doing ok under this economic climate.Gorey looks to be the town that's going from strength to strength,not too many vacant units on the main street/town centre.In contrast,Enniscorthy is a ghost town populated by over-priced boutiques & discount/charity shops along with the growing number of empty units.
    Gorey built a retail centre comprising of Dunnes etc. & now are getting a brand new Tesco (not sure if the old one is closing).
    Prohibitive rates & the closed shop (sorry for the pun) mentality of the establishment in Enniscorthy strangle any growth & as a result shoppers are staying away.Even the simplest things are hard to get in the town & this results in a drive to Wexford or even as far as Carlow to get certain items.
    We have Rafter St. which was revamped at considerable cost yet shops there are struggling as the anchor store remains closed & Dunnes Stores who own the site refuse to let any kind of competition in.
    There are cries that an out of town retail park would kill the town but in reality the move of Dunnes into the new store has sucked the life out of the middle of the town.People park in the underground car park,get in a lift,do their shopping then back to the car & home.If they want to drive anywhere else in town the gridlock makes it a nightmare experience.The traffic alone makes visiting the town an unwanted chore.
    It takes me roughly 20 mins to get to Wexford town,which has everything I need & is easily accessible,at times it has taken me longer to drive from one side of Enniscorthy to the other-I'd be quicker walking.I'm only one of many who have to endure this & as a result I hate shopping in the town,if I do walk then I run the gauntlet of dogsh1t all over the paths,hardly an attractive proposition.

Dunnes and Supervalu are rubbish and Tesco would be an improvement but NOT out of town. Best option would be if they tookover Dunnes new premises and ran them out of town. :D

@Zerks - thanks for elaborating.

@JD - chance would be a fine thing!

I agree that traffic is appalling around town. Anytime I'm home it seems to be the same old drudge. My parents avoid town like the plague and Dunnes is a pain to get in and out of.

Rafter St is very quiet, and Dunnes Stores need to be shifted out of the old store - they can't hold the town to ransom like that.

However, if the local traders won't publicise and start a campaign, what can others be expected to do?

Penneys or HomeStore & More or similar would be good for Rafter St.

As an aside, I have a vague recollection of dunnes moving in to Rafter St for the 1st time (mid/late-70's?)- wasn't there a shoe shop there before Dunnes? I seem to remember a green-fronted shop....anyone with a better memory?

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0919/breaking60.html

Officers from Revenue's Custom Service seized 3.8 million cigarettes, with an estimated retail value of €1.5m and a potential loss to the Exchequer of €1.3m, in Enniscorthy, Co Wexford today.
    The '821 Red' brand cigarettes arrived into Dublin Port from Rotterdam in a groupage maritime container and were subsequently seized in Enniscorthy in a customs operation.
    Two men were interviewed and investigations are ongoing.

Obviously, it's important not to mention names etc

Just heard who was involved here - didn't know either personally, but knew of one of them definitely.

Hard to imagine a Judge being lenient on this one!

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

My point is not about Tesco per-se,it's more about how other towns have seen progress & seem to be doing ok under this economic climate.Gorey looks to be the town that's going from strength to strength,not too many vacant units on the main street/town centre.In contrast,Enniscorthy is a ghost town populated by over-priced boutiques & discount/charity shops along with the growing number of empty units.
    Gorey built a retail centre comprising of Dunnes etc. & now are getting a brand new Tesco (not sure if the old one is closing).
    Prohibitive rates & the closed shop (sorry for the pun) mentality of the establishment in Enniscorthy strangle any growth & as a result shoppers are staying away.Even the simplest things are hard to get in the town & this results in a drive to Wexford or even as far as Carlow to get certain items.
    We have Rafter St. which was revamped at considerable cost yet shops there are struggling as the anchor store remains closed & Dunnes Stores who own the site refuse to let any kind of competition in.
    There are cries that an out of town retail park would kill the town but in reality the move of Dunnes into the new store has sucked the life out of the middle of the town.People park in the underground car park,get in a lift,do their shopping then back to the car & home.If they want to drive anywhere else in town the gridlock makes it a nightmare experience.The traffic alone makes visiting the town an unwanted chore.
    It takes me roughly 20 mins to get to Wexford town,which has everything I need & is easily accessible,at times it has taken me longer to drive from one side of Enniscorthy to the other-I'd be quicker walking.I'm only one of many who have to endure this & as a result I hate shopping in the town,if I do walk then I run the gauntlet of dogsh1t all over the paths,hardly an attractive proposition.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

Would Tescos be good ? I think any development would be good, a decent factory or two would be better than Tescos in my opinion, a few places looking for labour outside of the retail sector would be far more beneficial.

The only site in the town capable of meeting Tescos needs is the Abbey Sq. If you go back over the planning application for the Quarrypark development you can see that the local business mafia would welcome Tesco's only if they purchased that entire site. I personally dont think it would have been for helpful for the traffic in area but it is a hell of big site. But would a massive development on the quay save the business in the centre of the town.

The old Dunnes at Rafter St. is a big issue. The council should really be sorting this, prehaps if Tesco started building a big new store in Enniscorthy then Dunne's would be more inclined to dump Rafter St. and up their game to face the competion. I have said it before, there is no way Dunnes will freely sell/lease Rafter st. to any one they deem to be competion.
    Its not suitable to Tesco's needs anyway as it is to small and restricted. But I would rather the council spent there time and money try to fill empty shop units and force Dunnes hand than trying to pave everywhere.

Actually what might work in Rafter St is a Tesco Express or a Tesco Metro. They usually sell grocery only and obviously carry a more limited range. However, they usually carry the better-selling lines etc.

The only obstacle would, of course, be Dunnes Stores who own the site.

I wonder how much work has been done to get Dunnes to sell/lease it? A bit of legal research wouldn't go astray.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

It's the large stores that attract customers and any town that has them pulls in punters from a huge radius.How many people travel to Wexford or Gorey and take a trip down the main street to see what else is on offer.Given Enniscorthys traffic issues a big supermarket in the town might not be a starter

• Advertisement

kneemos wrote: »
    It's the large stores that attract customers and any town that has them pulls in punters from a huge radius.How many people travel to Wexford or Gorey and take a trip down the main street to see what else is on offer.Given Enniscorthys traffic issues a big supermarket in the town might not be a starter

+1
    I actually do as you stated.If I got to the likes of Tesco or Woodies in Wexford I head down along the main street more often than not.On a fine day I tend to leave the car at Tesco & stroll down to the town centre.I usually end up meeting more Enniscorthy people there than you would in their home town & all have the same opinion- "there's nothing in Enniscorthy"

It's bizzare & plain wrong that one store (Dunnes) can hold the centre of a town to ransom & the future of an entire street in it's hands.Rafter Street used to be the commercial heart of the town but now I'd say many businesses are struggling just to stay open.

If the council had any balls they'd force Dunnes to do something.All we've had so far is the usual stuff of "we have to tackle the issue of the empty store" but nothing is ever done.

Last trip to Wexford town was a week ago -

Main St (Shaws, Furlongs Butchers, Supervalu, Meylers, Gamestop, some of the sports shops), Tesco, Homestore, Joyces, Woodies, Petmania...

Then off to Wexford Park for the intermediate hurling finals.

Then to Toni & Tinos for Pizza.

Will go down next weekend and stop into Johnstowns Castle for a stroll too.

Went into Enniscorthy today, 10 mins in Supervalu and 5 mins in Xtravision, Patsy O'Connors for a part and home. The other half had done a bit of grocery shopping the day before in the usual spots.. Aldi, Lidl + Dunnes.

This weeks local paper confirms how unattractive the town is for shoppers & ranks 62nd,with a lack of 'name' stores being the main problem.Even New Ross which had it's problems outranks us by 19 places & Wexford is light years ahead.

This morning I witnessed a dog - the property of one of Enniscorthy's former leading retailers - doing what dogs do on the new paving on Court Street. Is it any wonder the town is bunched when our 'leading' citizens set such a poor example. :rolleyes:

Meant to mention it earlier, the two organic vegetable sellers at the Saturday Market in Abbey Square have given up in recent weeks and this leaves a major opening for someone! Neither gave-up due to poor trade, so if you know somebody who might be interested point them to the market operators http://www.wexfordfarmersmarkets.com/enniscorthy.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭paulaa

blindsider wrote: »
    As an aside, I have a vague recollection of dunnes moving in to Rafter St for the 1st time (mid/late-70's?)- wasn't there a shoe shop there before Dunnes? I seem to remember a green-fronted shop....anyone with a better memory?

It was called Bolgers( or Big Bolgers because there were 3 Bolger's shops in town at that time ) and they sold everything from wool and material to clothes, shoes and household goods etc. It was a great shop.

Monk Dorans, where Kavanaghs shop is beside the travel agents was another great shop . The staff and customers had to stop what they were doing and say the Angelus whether you liked it or not:)

paulaa wrote: »
    It was called Bolgers( or Big Bolgers because there were 3 Bolger's shops in town at that time ) and they sold everything from wool and material to clothes, shoes and household goods etc. It was a great shop.

Monk Dorans, where Kavanaghs shop is beside the travel agents was another great shop . The staff and customers had to stop what they were doing and say the Angelus whether you liked it or not:)

Thanks Paulaa - much appreciated. I remember Bolger's now alright - but didn't realise that there were 3 of them in town.

I also remember Aspels, Liptons, Tommy Murphy's (but that's a recent enough departure) Creane's the photographer, and Thornton's Pharmacy where Abrakebabra used to be. Also, Twomey's Cake shop on Weafer St, near where 'The Scissors Empire' used to be.

I wonder what's the oldest surviving (and still in the same family) retail business in town? Bourke-O'Leary's?

paulaa wrote: »

There's a coincidence,I was talking about the old Dunnes site today & was told that they don't have any holding over the building-it's still owned by Bolgers & the lease that Dunnes had is expired,so........what the hell is the problem with getting a new tenant in there?

It seems Xtravision approached them some years back to rent space there but the amount of rent quoted was astronomical.

If that's the case with the old Dunnes Stores site, it's fairly typical, you only have to look at Castle Street to see what a greedy property owner has achieved - not to mention other empty premises that he owns in the town. Between greedy owners and exorbitant council rates is it any wonder that the town is on its knees. :mad:

• Advertisement

Was in Gorey today & the place was busy all along the main street,in comparison Enniscorthy was like it was a Sunday (apart from the traffic)

Not too many empty units in Gorey,then look at Enniscorthy:for a town smack bang in the middle of the county we have almost zero on the scale for attracting shoppers.Empty stores & more to come.

As JD stated,the sheer greed of certain property owners in the town & sky high rates are just too offputting for anyone to try & open a store here,those that do are lucky to last 6 months.

Advertisement