Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

zerks wrote: »
    There's a coincidence,I was talking about the old Dunnes site today & was told that they don't have any holding over the building-it's still owned by Bolgers & the lease that Dunnes had is expired,so........what the hell is the problem with getting a new tenant in there?

It seems Xtravision approached them some years back to rent space there but the amount of rent quoted was astronomical.

I think they have a 99 year lease on the building which is pretty close to owning it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Driving through the Square at lunchtime & the place was covered in rubbish,all left over from the students out on their lunchbreak.Zero respect & sheer laziness to take the few steps to a bin-much easier to throw it on the ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

What do you make of this then?

IMG_0143.JPG
    Cameras gone, advertising signs gone and new lock! Photo: RMGP.

Castle.PNG

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Castle-Nightclub-Enniscorthy/172558166124770

Operator noted removing equipment today, security cameras, bar fittings, signage etc.

Peace and quiet for a while....:D

On a more positive note a new children's boutique has opened on Slaney Street - beside the Antique Tavern (pic below) and "The Jean Depot" has now opened for business on Rafter Street. The former Scooby Doo's premises in the Old Dunne's Stores carpark was getting a repaint last week - a new tenant perhaps? The former Colman's Pub on the Market Square is still to Let/for Sale - any takers?

IMG_0124.JPG
    Photo: RMGP.

And while still in positive mode here's a nice postcard view of the town - date unknown but before the new bridge was built. Abbey Square is a peaceful looking spot as a solitary CIE E-class bus wends it way through the town.

Enniscorthy+old+postcard.jpg

http://countywexford.blogspot.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Your looking at around 1969-1972. The Silos are been put up on Irish street and there are no silos up at Barrack street the bailey. The blue building at the bottom of the Abbey square was the old ESB offices.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

DSC02803.JPG
    Disappointing to see such a poorly finished repair to a footpath in Father Cullen Terrace.
    Its an accident waiting to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭arseagon

RKQ wrote: »
    DSC02803.JPG
    Disappointing to see such a poorly finished repair to a footpath in Father Cullen Terrace.
    Its an accident waiting to happen.

At least they got a repair done.. the footpath on Friary Hill last got a repair a few years back when I had some spare cement after a job and filled a few holes... I was probably wrong to do that tho.. The council have never done a thing with that footpath...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

repair to a footpath in Father Cullen Terrace

That's a repair... seriously?

If I seen that I'd be disappointed that it hadn't been repaired.

Déjà vu in the Old Dunne's Stores carpark as a vegetable shop returns.

SHOP%2B005.JPG

While on Rafter Street the newly opened "Jean Depot" seemed to be doing a good trade at the weekend.

SHOP%2B006.JPG

• Advertisement

jpb1974 wrote: »
    That's a repair... seriously?

If I seen that I'd be disappointed that it hadn't been repaired.

Well they have bollards down by mine tonight, set up at about half 7pm to say no parking, I wasn't notified about any work so I'm not moving any vehicle till they tell me what they're doing.. anyone any info on this??

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

arseagon wrote: »
    At least they got a repair done.. the footpath on Friary Hill last got a repair a few years back when I had some spare cement after a job and filled a few holes... I was probably wrong to do that tho.. The council have never done a thing with that footpath...

You spoke too soon it was dug up this morning.

kneemos wrote: »
    You spoke too soon it was dug up this morning.

lol don't I know it... I woke up to the sound of a Kango hammer and my doorbell to ask me to move the car. Hopefully it'll be a nice job once it's done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭paulaa

blindsider wrote: »
    Thanks Paulaa - much appreciated. I remember Bolger's now alright - but didn't realise that there were 3 of them in town.

I also remember Aspels, Liptons, Tommy Murphy's (but that's a recent enough departure) Creane's the photographer, and Thornton's Pharmacy where Abrakebabra used to be. Also, Twomey's Cake shop on Weafer St, near where 'The Scissors Empire' used to be.

I wonder what's the oldest surviving (and still in the same family) retail business in town? Bourke-O'Leary's?

Apologies that I haven't been back to this thread until now.
    I remember all those shops but can you tell me if Liptons was the same as the Home and Colonial shop ? I remember getting loose tea for my mother there from a wooden tea chest. They weighed it out on the old scales with the weights and gave it to you in a brown paper bag.

There's a coincidence,I was talking about the old Dunnes site today & was told that they don't have any holding over the building-it's still owned by Bolgers & the lease that Dunnes had is expired,so........what the hell is the problem with getting a new tenant in there?

It seems Xtravision approached them some years back to rent space there but the amount of rent quoted was astronomical.

I really hope they can do something with it. It's killing the town centre
    sundula wrote: »
    I think they have a 99 year lease on the building which is pretty close to owning it.

Crazy stuff and they can afford to let it sit vacant :mad:

New Nutrition shop opening in Slaney St.

My bugbear reared it's ugly head again,FUCKIN DOGSHIT EVERYWHERE IN THE TOWN.!!!! It was like a slalom event just walking from the Old Dunnes Carpark down to the bridge,the scene outside O' Leary's Newsagent was something to behold,God help the poor fecker that walked in it originally & smeared it everywhere.
    Why can't the Community Warden start work a bit earlier & patrol the town to hand out fines to dog owners who let their pets defecate & then don't clean up after them?
    The town was a disgrace the other morning with the stuff literally everywhere.

The same Neanderthal council worker nearly ran myself + kids down on the zebra crossing on Parnell Road last week - admittedly the stripes need repainting but that's no excuse to accelerate towards the crossing when people are clearly trying to use it. That's twice now, three strikes and it's the garda station - pass it on if you know him. :mad:

The same Neanderthal council worker nearly ran myself + kids down on the zebra crossing on Parnell Road last week - admittedly the stripes need repainting but that's no excuse to accelerate towards the crossing when people are clearly trying to use it. That's twice now, three strikes and it's the garda station - pass it on if you know him. :mad:

Where's Jackser when you need him, the 'King Of The Speed Ramps' should tackle that crossing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭blindsider

paulaa wrote: »
    Apologies that I haven't been back to this thread until now.
    I remember all those shops but can you tell me if Liptons was the same as the Home and Colonial shop ? I remember getting loose tea for my mother there from a wooden tea chest. They weighed it out on the old scales with the weights and gave it to you in a brown paper bag.

It was The Home & Colonial - at least my grandparents used to refer to it as the H&C - I only remember Liptons.

Interesting about the tea....IIRC Hayes's grocery shop on Court St used to do the same - I remember Mr Hayes filling a paper packet and then sealing it. They were a light brown if I remeber properly.

I used also get the deposit back on glass bottles and buy chocolate fingers - those were the days!

Where's Jackser when you need him, the 'King Of The Speed Ramps' should tackle that crossing.

Probably waving to himself in a mirror.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Ian7

hey guys!! hope all is well. Haven't been on here in ages, and funnily enough, I came on here with a little dittie about Jackser.

I work on Bohreen hill, my boss also lives along the hill and his wall is constantly targeted by illegal dumping. Well, there happened to be bags left out this morning on the footpath for the council to collect and guess who happens to stroll by? I could hear himself on the phone and when I looked out, he was having his picture taken (not sure who by) beside the rubbish. The bags have since been collected by the council, (with the exception of the rubbish around the apartments where I work, but that's another story).

I'm actually grateful that this story will get the attention it deserves as long as Jackser doesn't claim sole responsibility for the action taken. I look forward to next week papers :D.

edit: oh. And I also emailed the council warden about this matter over two weeks ago so maybe I should be thanking Jackser,...... I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I presume the Jean Depot is doing some business but I have yet to see anybody in it.

kneemos wrote: »
    I presume the Jean Depot is doing some business but I have yet to see anybody in it.

Was down that way the other day & there was nobody in it then.Come to think of it,there were more staff in the shops on the street than actual shoppers.A sad sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

People dumping rubbish is quite a problem. The road to the Still is a regular spot for someone. I can't understand why people dump plastic bottles, newspapers & beer cans - all can easily be recycled at public collection areas, throughout the town.
    Lets hope the Warden is successful in finding the culprits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭chips1234

can anyone tell me how long the waterfront leisure centre has been open since ?

RKQ wrote: »
    People dumping rubbish is quite a problem. The road to the Still is a regular spot for someone. I can't understand why people dump plastic bottles, newspapers & beer cans - all can easily be recycled at public collection areas, throughout the town.
    Lets hope the Warden is successful in finding the culprits.

That's a strange on alright,these people drive to the outskirts of the towns to dump stuff that they can dispose of for free at the recycling centres.
    The Still area & the road from the Milehouse to Scarawalsh seem to be regular dumping areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Chain_reaction

Speaking of Jackser.... (keep an eye out for him below)

I found a documentary about Paddy "Potter" Murphy in Carleys Bridge by accident on the daily motion, not sure if its been posted before but its from the Hands series by RTE dated 1980.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xnl6hx_disk-19-hands-carleys-bridge-pottery-est-1659-full-video_travel

And another one about tatchers in South Wexford.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xob80t_disk-32-hands-wexford-thatcher-harvesting-and-thatching_shortfilms

Sorry that is not Jackser Owens.
    That is the late Jackson Owens the son the late Robert 'Carley' Owen and the late Dorthy Owens. Who are no relation at all to Jackser.
    The Carley's Owens family founded the Carleys bridge pottery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭blindsider

Just watched that Hands episode - I had forgotten it was made.

It brings back lots of memories.

Some work going on at Bellfield opposite Grant's Pharmacy & Lower Shannon is closed,saw a JCB digging up the road.

• Advertisement

Some work going on at Bellfield opposite Grant's Pharmacy & Lower Shannon is closed,saw a JCB digging up the road.

They will Probably get to Christmas out of them jobs.

Advertisement