Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Chain_reaction

Navarre wrote: »
    Sorry that is not Jackser Owens.
    That is the late Jackson Owens the son the late Robert 'Carley' Owen and the late Dorthy Owens. Who are no relation at all to Jackser.
    The Carley's Owens family founded the Carleys bridge pottery.

Ha no bother! I thought the shoe fitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

The road works in Camolin are getting ridiculous, they have a stop and go system in place, the only problem being you are stopped for 15 minutes! And then on the way home from work at 2am they have a traffic light as you're heading towards Enniscorthy but none on the way to Gorey? So I sat for another 5 minutes at lights for no reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

JayEnnis wrote: »
    The road works in Camolin are getting ridiculous, they have a stop and go system in place, the only problem being you are stopped for 15 minutes! And then on the way home from work at 2am they have a traffic light as you're heading towards Enniscorthy but none on the way to Gorey? So I sat for another 5 minutes at lights for no reason.

I agree, the traffic management is a complete joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

FiveStar-Chinese-logo-129651335677014772
    From the horse's mouth (sorry Christina!) - the "Five Star" Chinese Takeaway in Slaney Street is closing its doors for the last time tomorrow, after five years trading. I'll be down for a final King Prawn omelette - see you all down there. I'll be sorry to see it go but the footfall about town these days has gone to hell and you can expect more closures in the months ahead. :(

Another much regretted closure is the Pastel d'Creme cafe on Main Street.

urgent%2B004.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Bit morbid by me thanking a post that brings us more bad news but you always seem to have your finger on the pulse JD.

I was in Wexford the other evening & between Joyces,Homestore & More along with DID & Ken Blacks,they had more people than were around the whole of the centre of Enniscorthy.It's sad that 4 stores can attract more shoppers than a whole town centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

sundula wrote: »
    I agree, the traffic management is a complete joke.

It was backed up to the meat processing facility last night so I turned around and drove through The Harrow and Ballycanew. Not sure if it was longer but sure beat sitting in traffic.

Town is positively hopping today - TSB have people removing their signage (and contents), the 5 Star Chinese has its windows blacked out and the VEC are loading their stuff out of their premises on Castle Street. If it's this bad now, what's it going to be like after Christmas. Rates are supposed to be going up again according to one trader that I spoke to today.

Town is positively hopping today - TSB have people removing their signage (and contents), the 5 Star Chinese has its windows blacked out and the VEC are loading their stuff out of their premises on Castle Street. If it's this bad now, what's it going to be like after Christmas. Rates are supposed to be going up again according to one trader that I spoke to today.

An Irish solution again,income from rates is down due to lack of occupancy so rates rise.It's like the vintners rising the price of drink to compensate for the fall off in pub customers.

As bad as it is now,the town is going to be one bleak place by February.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Ian7

feck, I know you all know this but something has to change. This maybe a silly question to ask but who exactly sets the rates? Town, county or national government?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Ian7 wrote: »
    feck, I know you all know this but something has to change. This maybe a silly question to ask but who exactly sets the rates? Town, county or national government?

I'm sure every bit helps but I don't think rates would be the deciding factor in weather a store stays open or closes,the lack of punters and indeed the uncompetitive pricing compared to other towns are the main problems I would imagine.

• Advertisement

kneemos wrote: »
    I'm sure every bit helps but I don't think rates would be the deciding factor in weather a store stays open or closes,the lack of punters and indeed the uncompetitive pricing compared to other towns are the main problems I would imagine.

I assure you that the rates are a major factor for crippling existing businesses and putting off start-ups. Some businesses in the town give up and leave an outstanding rates bill behind them - unbelievably the next tenant is expected to pay the arrears!! Soon the only retailers left in the town will be those few who own their own premises and even those are struggling.

I assure you that the rates are a major factor for crippling existing businesses and putting off start-ups. Some businesses in the town give up and leave an outstanding rates bill behind them - unbelievably the next tenant is expected to pay the arrears!! Soon the only retailers left in the town will be those few who own their own premises and even those are struggling.

Paying arrears would probably put someone off a particular unit but theres plenty to choose from.I just think theres much bigger problems than rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭paulaa

I know the rates are extortionate but I agree with you Kneemos, there are other factors. imo the town has been rendered shopper-unfriendly with the various poorly thought out "modernisation" works in latter years.

The Market Square, once the busy heart of the town, is now just an inconvenience to be passed through as quickly as possible. It is cold and unwelcoming and totally out of place when you look around and see Pugin's Cathedral , Enniscorthy castle etc It devalues the historic buildings and history of the town. Instead of bringing in more shoppers, the pedestrianisation of Rafter street, complete with the empty Dunnes building, had driven away people.

What we need are more people with common sense who genuinely care about the town rather than getting their names on plaques for spoiling the town with their latest " modernisation" plan.

That is just my opinion of my homeplace.

County in future with the abolition of the town council with a 10% drop in rates according to the local paper.

Thanks to Christina & Joe at the Five Star Chinese a little bit of the takeaway will live on. :D

http://insatiablecollector.wordpress.com/2012/11/06/chinese-junk/

paulaa wrote: »
    I know the rates are extortionate but I agree with you Kneemos, there are other factors. imo the town has been rendered shopper-unfriendly with the various poorly thought out "modernisation" works in latter years.

The Market Square, once the busy heart of the town, is now just an inconvenience to be passed through as quickly as possible. It is cold and unwelcoming and totally out of place when you look around and see Pugin's Cathedral , Enniscorthy castle etc It devalues the historic buildings and history of the town. Instead of bringing in more shoppers, the pedestrianisation of Rafter street, complete with the empty Dunnes building, had driven away people.

What we need are more people with common sense who genuinely care about the town rather than getting their names on plaques for spoiling the town with their latest " modernisation" plan.

That is just my opinion of my homeplace.

It's a pity that the plans of Bailey owner Dan Morrisey were shelved,he planned to redevelop part of the Square & have a shopping plaza.The way things are going in the town,I doubt there'd be any incentive for him to pursue the venture again.

We are getting near to the time of year when the "Shop Local for Christmas" campaign rears it's head again,sorry but apart from groceries very little of my Christmas shopping will be done in the town.
    As a tip to Xmas shoppers though,Byrnes are the cheapest around for Lego;)

Get into Byrne's early for your lego.;)

County in future with the abolition of the town council with a 10% drop in rates according to the local paper.

Make that a 10% increase,read it wrong.

I know this, but it is a fairly big factor.
    Is the 10% increase true, i haven't seen the papers? Seriously though, every other group and organisation in the country has protested and marched against cuts and taxes...what the heck are the chamber of commerce (and/or national chambers) doing about rates? and aside from rates, are they even united in trying to find a way out of the current spate of shop closures? The only time we seem to ever hear about the chamber is when they objecting to something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

I think I complained about the state of the steps on Vinegar Hill a while back.

Well, apparently there is a plan to attend to them... and I am hoping that they do both sides of the hill.

But for some reason the implementation of a section of new cobbling and chair at the bottom of the hill, close to the car park, were deemed higher priority by whoever makes these fúcked up decisions (probably the same crowd who decided on zebra crossing placements in the town).

So... if you do fall and break your leg on the steps in their current crap format don't worry too much, someone might be able to help you over to the new bench to sit and wait for the ambulance to arrive.

Enniscorthy Town Council... we know your watching... how's about some common sense for a change? (Oh, and whilst your there, please come take a look at the road from Finchogue to Coolgarrow... pure shít).

• Advertisement

According to the 'happy clappy' freesheet, "Slaney News", Enniscorthy is set to topple Wesport as Ireland's tidiest town - I kid you not! Here's a quote from Town Clerk, Padraig O'Gorman, speaking at the recent mutual back slapping Tidy Towns ceremony at the 1798 Centre ....Town Clerk expressed his delight at the increase in marks this year, with more of an effort next year we will be in with a good chance of a Bronze Medal. If we reached that level then it is only a matter of time until we are vying with Westport and Killarney for top honours.' Talk of being delusional. :(

At least the concreting at Bellfield is done,great job at taking up the perfectly good surface and replacing it:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭blindsider

According to the 'happy clappy' freesheet, "Slaney News", Enniscorthy is set to topple Wesport as Ireland's tidiest town - I kid you not! Here's a quote from Town Clerk, Padraig O'Gorman, speaking at the recent mutual back slapping Tidy Towns ceremony at the 1798 Centre ....Town Clerk expressed his delight at the increase in marks this year, with more of an effort next year we will be in with a good chance of a Bronze Medal. If we reached that level then it is only a matter of time until we are vying with Westport and Killarney for top honours.' Talk of being delusional. :(

I have just smoked the Council's cunning plan!

They are actively discouraging people from visiting/going to Enniscorthy town centre esp. Rafter St (Dunnes vacant), Market Sq (traffic backed up) Slaney Place (ditto).

If people do not frequent these areas, then there can be no litter! Brilliant!

As long as the tumble-weeds are kept at bay, Enniscorthy could certainly be vying for top spot in the 'Tidy Ghost-Town' competition very soon.

Wouldn't that be great?!

According to the 'happy clappy' freesheet, "Slaney News",

Oh JD :rolleyes:......*cue canned laughter*

Oh JD :rolleyes:......*cue canned laughter*

Well, it's a case of the glass overflowing with them. The latest issue mentions the opening of a 'new' pet shop in the Super Valu carpark - whereas it's a rebranding/takeover of the existing one; and then the 'market' beside Supervalu is mentioned as if it was a new development. Bit like a politician announcing the same new jobs repeatedly. :D

zerks wrote: »
    At least the concreting at Bellfield is done,great job at taking up the perfectly good surface and replacing it:confused:

Noticed that myself.I think it was a bit high for parking,mounting and dismounting was difficult(as the actress said to the bishop)at least that's the best I can come up with.

Noticed that myself.I think it was a bit high for parking,mounting and dismounting was difficult(as the actress said to the bishop)at least that's the best I can come up with.

Yes,but you aren't meant to park on a footpath.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

Pastel D'Creme has apparently moved across the street and into the premises of Galo Chargrill.

I suppose it's a good move for them, to keep rent down etc.

P.s. there was some activity in the slaney plaza the other day, anybody know anything about this? Could have been someone checking up on the place maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 pete4355

klong wrote: »
    Pastel D'Creme has apparently moved across the street and into the premises of Galo Chargrill.

Has the Galo closed or moved?

Advertisement