Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭paulaa

I have to say I agree with most of what you say barney. Wexford is getting some jobs, Enniscorthy , nothing.

I honestly don't know how you would go about righting that or getting better people for the job. I was probably wrong but I decided not to vote in the last round of council elections as I couldn't see one person that I would trust with the running of the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Slightly ot but roughly 1000 people turned up for the information days in Wexford for the new call centre there.

People pooh-poohed the jobs as low paid,tedious work but at least Wexford is getting jobs,our local representatives here sit on their hands while the town goes down the drain.No jobs,no money,no hope.

On the topic of shops,it's all well and good creating a niche market,something different in the town retail wise but the fact is Joe & Josephine soap want the high street chains which are affordable.We have umpteen boutiques which do limited business & in contrast Wexford has Penneys which seems to be busy no matter when you go into the place.

Perhaps if some money was pumped into redevelopment of the place we might see a rebirth of the town.
    .Murphy Floods site:changed from a car park into retail units housing some named brand stores.
    The Abbey Centre: Needs a complete revamp,one of the reasons Tesco was shelved was the notion that any shopping centre would go on the Abbey Centre site not at Quarrypark.If Quarrypark is a no go,then Abbey Square should be redeveloped as a matter of priority especially that Rafter Bridge will be removed so the argument of extra congestion in the area would be void.

Tourism: We have a rich heritage yet we regularly see tourists wandering around looking lost.Perhaps organised walking tours & bus excursions would help.A history trail so to speak bringing visitors up through the years from the foundation of the town,St.Senan,1798,The Famine,right up to the modern day.We have all the sights from Vinegar Hill to The Cathedral and beyond yet there's extremely poor marketing & promotion of them,JD has alluded to the poor tourist website on several occasions and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Ignoring the dog ****e, glass and vomit, for the moment, the town is in danger of being stuck together by chewing gum. I've never seen anything like it - as an example the new, utterly extravagant piece of pavement from the Market Square to Dunnes has literally hundreds of pieces of gum on it already! Local shops need to be persuaded to stop selling the wretched stuff, local schools need to be visited by somebody (?) to talk to the students about the damage that they are doing to their town from a tourism point of view and the Council need to get a machine of their own to remove the gum - now! This post seems to have a déjà vu feel to it - sorry. :)

Anybody know what the appalling smell is around the town? From Bellfield all the way out the Milehouse there's a stink that smells like a mixture of sewage & slurry.

Yet another charity shop open in town it's on Slaney St.

Read in another thread that TK Maxx is definitely opening a store in Wexford,so much for all the hullabaloo about it opening in Enniscorthy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

zerks wrote: »
    Anybody know what the appalling smell is around the town? From Bellfield all the way out the Milehouse there's a stink that smells like a mixture of sewage & slurry.

More than likely its all the Dog ****e on the footpaths. So much for community wardens on patrol "an easy weeks wages".

Navarre wrote: »
    More than likely its all the Dog ****e on the footpaths. So much for community wardens on patrol "an easy weeks wages".

Was discussing this the other day,brought the little one for a walk & had to hose down the wheels of the buggy when I got home,it's disgraceful how much dog crap is on the footpaths around the town.

Every morning & evening,the same dog owners bring their animals out for a clean out.Not once have I seen a single case where somebody got fined for it.

How difficult is it to bring a plastic bag to pick up after their dogs ?

I often bring my two dogs down the prom. I have a little holder on their leads which contains small bags. There are only a couple of Euro and can be got in the pet shops and sometimes even the Euro shops have them.

The only complaint I have is there are not enough bins down the prom . I suppose they would end up in the river anyway

paulaa wrote: »
    How difficult is it to being a plastic bag to pick up after their dogs ?

I often bring my two dogs down the prom. I have a little shaped holder on their leads which contains small bags. There are only a couple of Euro and can be got in the pet shops and sometimes even the Euro shops have them.

The only complaint I have is there are not enough bins down the prom . I suppose they would end up in the river anyway

Sadly, whatever about you, it's a macho thing - I have yet to see a man pick up after their dog and there's some well known male faces who walk dogs all over town. What about the dogs that wander freely with no apparent owners? Some of these dogs are owned by traders in the town - fact - talk about ****ting on your own doorstep. :(

Yes I noticed that. Unbelievable that these people have no respect for their own town .

• Advertisement

:)Mod Note:)

I have merged the Enniscorthy snag list thread with the main Enniscorthy thread as they are now both bordering on the same Topics.:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Dog waste on footpaths is a very bad problem in Enniscorthy. Whats the point in Bye-laws if they are not being enforced?

Dog waste is unsightly, unpleasant to walk in (hard to avoid on certain paths) and it can be very dangerous to children, causing blindness etc.

If the community wardens are not doing their jobs. Then all it takes is a extra brush and shovel/ poop scoop and a pump can full of disinfectant handed to the guys who get paid to sweep the streets it makes sense as these street sweepers are paid to walk along sweeping up rubbish.

On the topic of street cleaners can anyone from Enniscorthy town answer me this on a few occasions I have parked in the car park across from Pettits and different times during the day and on them occasions I noticed an unattended street sweepers bin trolly abandoned behind the trees just at the spot where the "traffic lights" are connected to the car park does anyone know why it's left there ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I noticed some stores were closed well before six this evening,don't know if it's the norm or a sign of the times but it seems odd and disheartening.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

BApsEgkCQAAKs6r.jpg:large
    Retailers of Gorey have introduced a novel way to entice people into their shops 70% off in shops you see this sign

Think you may like to see this - ( even though it may be in the wrong thread )

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BApsEgkCQAAKs6r.jpg:large

Think you may like to see this - ( even though it may be in the wrong thread )

Enniscorthy will have their own version,it'll read 70% CLOSED.

The Playzone in Wexford was jammers yesterday,every town in the county except Enniscorthy has one if not two of these or a variant of it.

Nowhere in Enniscorthy to bring kids to have some fun unless you want to dodge dog crap & broken glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

@Zerks I was there myself from 11 till 1 ish it was mental alright. There must have been 8 to 10 kids parties set up to go at that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

We can all see it, it's been said in this thread enough times. Enniscorthy is a bypassed town with no bypass.

@sundula Is there no retailers assoc in Enniscorty. I mean there seems to be enough like minded business people on boards in Wexford that are sick of the small mindedness. Theres a mate of mine in Dublin and he is in the BNI and swears by it. I'm just saying.

• Advertisement

Enniscorthy Chamber of Commerce http://www.enniscorthychamber.ie/ but it is run by the usual clique and doesn't represent anything like all the traders.

The May 2012 (!) newsletter is now available http://www.enniscorthychamber.ie/news.aspx?id=1462 - a dynamic organisation.

Would anyone in the Wexford area (retailer or service supplier) like to meet up and discuss/promote their business. If whats there at the moment is not working out maybe there need to be a change. I'd like to see a change and my business improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

the GALL wrote: »
    @sundula Is there no retailers assoc in Enniscorty. I mean there seems to be enough like minded business people on boards in Wexford that are sick of the small mindedness. Theres a mate of mine in Dublin and he is in the BNI and swears by it. I'm just saying.

The last time I remember the local businesses / traders in enniscorthy coming together was when they petitioned Wex Co. Co. not to allow Tescos and the subsequent retail units built.

I believe that the strongest players in the chamber of commerce are in industries, primarily service, who's customers are other business outside of the county or are the wrong age profile, they have there money made and are looking towards retirement and selling up.

The €20 million sewage works scheme in the town is now at pre-tender stage.If we were complaining about traffic before,wait 'til this starts.

The €20 million sewage works scheme in the town is now at pre-tender stage.If we were complaining about traffic before,wait 'til this starts.

I wonder will local workers get any jobs from it or will it be like St Johns hospital and the new Gaelscoil.

I wonder will local workers get any jobs from it or will it be like St Johns hospital and the new Gaelscoil.

I guarantee that not a single job will go to locals.Whoever wins the tender will bring in their own guys.

I guarantee that not a single job will go to locals.Whoever wins the tender will bring in their own guys.

And still the towns people will vote for the same councilors in council elections. These councilors should at least make sure who ever gets the contract will employ some local workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭barney 20v

And still the towns people will vote for the same councilors in council elections. These councilors should at least make sure who ever gets the contract will employ some local workers.
    That's not the way business works folks, no matter how much ye would like it to, jackser and co deal with real people regarding a multi million euro scheme? That's a scary notion .... Best they stick to putting pedestrian crossings directly from one bar counter to the other to keep the locals happy .....if they ever succeed in joining paddy powers into this scheme they are sorted for life!
    If dog **** is the main concern of people posting on here then I give up!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

barney 20v wrote: »
    That's not the way business works folks, no matter how much ye would like it to, jackser and co deal with real people regarding a multi million euro scheme? That's a scary notion .... Best they stick to putting pedestrian crossings directly from one bar counter to the other to keep the locals happy .....if they ever succeed in joining paddy powers into this scheme they are sorted for life!
    If dog **** is the main concern of people posting on here then I give up!

Can't think of any of any pedestrian crossings joining bar counters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

kneemos wrote: »
    Can't think of any of any pedestrian crossings joining bar counters.
    Eh, I can. Handy out too :p

Advertisement