Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

barney 20v wrote: »
    If dog **** is the main concern of people posting on here then I give up!

The reason we complain so much about dogshit in the town is because it's feckin everywhere.No good in promoting the town as a tourist attraction if the visitors first impression from walking around is having to avoid the stuff,hard to see the sights if you spend the entire time looking at the ground.

Myself like many locals like to take a walk around the town but this is becoming a chore due to the state of the footpaths.The next bollix I see letting their dog empty itself on a path is getting an earful from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭barney 20v

kneemos wrote: »
    Can't think of any of any pedestrian crossings joining bar counters.
    Doyles of the duffry-donohues... one counter to the other...... pedestrian crossings ontop of roundabouts.. non existant pedestrian crossings at the "new bridge" i could go on and on. no point because they are ****ing useless!

zerks wrote: »
    The reason we complain so much about dogshit in the town is because it's feckin everywhere.No good in promoting the town as a tourist attraction if the visitors first impression from walking around is having to avoid the stuff,hard to see the sights if you spend the entire time looking at the ground.

Myself like many locals like to take a walk around the town but this is becoming a chore due to the state of the footpaths.The next bollix I see letting their dog empty itself on a path is getting an earful from me.
    next time....? if it riles you so badly why wait till the next time??? no point in posting about it on here!

next time....? if it riles you so badly why wait till the next time??? no point in posting about it on here!

Believe it or not some of our esteemed councillors read this thread & have even quoted stuff from it.Maybe they'll decide to do something about the state of the town.It's been talked about enough recently on local radio yet I've never once seen a council worker or community warden confront anyone who lets their dogs foul the paths in the town.
    Bad enough that the town is going down the toilet that it has to look like one aswell.

Maybe I'll take your advice Barney & head out to hunt down some dog owners just to keep you satisfied.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Doyles of the duffry-donohues... one counter to the other...... pedestrian crossings ontop of roundabouts.. non existant pedestrian crossings at the "new bridge" i could go on and on. no point because they are ****ing useless!

If there wasn't a crossing at Doyles corner people would be demanding one I'm sure,it's a bit dodgy even with it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

That's not the way business works folks, no matter how much ye would like it to, jackser and co deal with real people regarding a multi million euro scheme? That's a scary notion .... Best they stick to putting pedestrian crossings directly from one bar counter to the other to keep the locals happy .....if they ever succeed in joining paddy powers into this scheme they are sorted for life!
    If dog **** is the main concern of people posting on here then I give up!

The councilors are voted into the Town council for the good of the Town and the Towns people. They are clearly not doing a good Job of it. There has been big projects constructed in town in the last 2 years and the Councillors and the local TD's should ensure that locals get employment on these projects. And on the matter of Dog ****e the town is full of it. It has been highlighted on the radio and yet we dont see community wardens on the streets. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=82687053&postcount=1424 If the law is not going to be enforced regarding dog ****e then the only solution is to create a new job in town and take at least 1 person off the dole.

If there wasn't a crossing at Doyles corner people would be demanding one I'm sure,it's a bit dodgy even with it.

I said it way back in this thread that who ever drew up the plans or came up with the ideas to put crossings and traffic lights in place in town should go back to college and learn to use a measuring tape.

I know one person who was literally ploughed out of it on that crossing.Has anyone noticed it always seems to be women who fail to stop for pedestrians on it? Nothing against women drivers-just stating a fact.

At least the roundabout at Aldi was lowered so drivers can now see what's on the road ahead.Now all we need to do is teach people how to use it properly.

In all fairness the traffic lights out side pettits are a joke. Between the lights and the yellow box there is barely enough room for a Van. And where else would you see traffic lights and less than 10 feet away a car parking spot. has any one ever come across a car reversing out from the spot just beside the lights on the pettits side. I would say either totally stupidity or cleverness to put them lights there??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

That whole area from the crossing at Joe Doyles corner up as far a the Gaelic stores is a disaster. I know people need places to cross the road but is their really a need for 3 crossings in a 160m stretch (google maps) ? It is totally ridiculous. Within this stretch you also have a 2 busy junctions at Duffry Gate and across from Pettits, along with a supermarket with direct parking outside. That whole area needs to be redesigned, it causes jams back as far as abbey square at peak times.

• Advertisement

On the subject of Dog ****e on footpaths. I see phase 2 of relaying the Parrnell road footpath (that is Parnell avenue junction to Pearse road junction) started today roughly 1 year after phase 1 of relaying the same stretch of footpath was completed. (probably stretch it out now till Easter) Now in all fairness its not route 66 that needs to be made. Any how seeing as this dog ****e skating ring is now rubble I do wonder where all the La Di Da's are going to bring their Puppy Wuppy's and Cutie little baby bop's to ****e now. I think for sure it wont be outside their own doors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Recently I raised the question of the almost non-existent road markings on the pedestrian crossing near the junction of Parnell Road and St.John's Street with a local councillor to be fobbed off with - 'the contractor that does the markings can only be got about once a year'. Sure I suppose it's only used by children attending the local Church of Ireland primary school.....I asked, tongue in cheek, was it a sectarian matter but he wasn't rising to it. Do we have to wait until someone is killed on the crossing - there's not even a warning sign on either approach road. :mad:

Recently I raised the question of the almost non-existent road markings on the pedestrian crossing near the junction of Parnell Road and St.John's Street with a local councillor to be fobbed off with - 'the contractor that does the markings can only be got about once a year'. Sure I suppose it's only used by children attending the local Church of Ireland primary school.....I asked, tongue in cheek, was it a sectarian matter but he wasn't rising to it. Do we have to wait until someone is killed on the crossing - there's not even a warning sign on either approach road. :mad:

The buses and parents who park on the footpath at the pedestrian crossing at the Parnell avenue show no respect for either the pedestrians or drivers who have to pass by that way. Now we all know children have to be dropped off and collected but why cant the pedestrian crossing be extended to John street and let the parents use the car park down there. But its even worse when the parents of the CBS students invade that whole area of town and park on the Footpaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

TheChevron wrote: »
    That whole area from the crossing at Joe Doyles corner up as far a the Gaelic stores is a disaster. I know people need places to cross the road but is their really a need for 3 crossings in a 160m stretch (google maps) ? It is totally ridiculous. Within this stretch you also have a 2 busy junctions at Duffry Gate and across from Pettits, along with a supermarket with direct parking outside. That whole area needs to be redesigned, it causes jams back as far as abbey square at peak times.

Agreed... absolutely hate that stretch of road. Zebra crossings, traffic lights, junctions, cark reversing out onto the road... it's a frickin nightmare.

As for the dog shít... well, I personally don't walk around the town much, but I bought the mother a new pair of runners at Christmas. I said to her last week, "how are the runners" and she replied "I wore them for the first time last week and walked in dog shít". She went on to say that the road out along towards the Milehouse is a disaster.

On another note - the parents live up The Moyne. The house next door to them has been vacant for a long time, repossessed by the bank. Mother was in the bed last week when she heard a car pull in, circa 9pm. She thought it was me pulling into the house. Turns out someone pulled into the house next door and dumped 6 bags of rubbish in the garden.

You wouldn't believe some of the carry on up The Moyne. The parents have came across more incidents of illegal rubbish dumping, Eastern Europeans drunk driving and crashing into stuff and the boy racers with their big exhausts driving around like mad med.

Then there's my favourite, the Councils lovely landscaping job on the corner on The Moyne - Greenville Lane... possibly the most fúckin useless, pointless, ridiculous waste of time ever.

Town is a shíthole... so it makes sense there's lots of dog shít and a load of shít heads running the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭paulaa

Councillor Owens was on SE Radio this morning discussing the dog poo problem around the town. Four new pooper scooper bins are being installed along the Prom.
    Do they read this thread ?

paulaa wrote: »
    Councillor Owens was on SE Radio this morning discussing the dog poo problem around the town. Four new pooper scooper bins are being installed along the Prom.
    Do they read this thread ?

Took a walk through his neck of the woods this morning,maybe he's oblivious to the state of the place.Crossed over at Bellfield & right at the crossing there was shit everywhere as some poor unfortunate had walked in it.Continued out the Milehouse & the same story,it was literally every few feet.

I know Barney20v thinks it's a trivial matter but is it too much to ask that we can walk around our town without getting destroyed.

No point in putting up pooper scooper bins as the ignorant cnuts that allow their dogs do this aren't going to use them.

Took a walk through his neck of the woods this morning,maybe he's oblivious to the state of the place.Crossed over at Bellfield & right at the crossing there was shit everywhere as some poor unfortunate had walked in it.Continued out the Milehouse & the same story,it was literally every few feet.

I know Barney20v thinks it's a trivial matter but is it too much to ask that we can walk around our town without getting destroyed.

No point in putting up pooper scooper bins as the ignorant cnuts that allow their dogs do this aren't going to use them.
    I don't think its a trivial matter at all, its a public health hazard. So to suggest i "think" that is incorrect zerks.:rolleyes:

However, i do think that it is way down the list of priorities when it comes to issues in Enniscorthy.
    My main concern would be the anti social/criminal element in the town.
    You know the minority who ride rough shod over the other people of the town, the same group that the local politicians,gardai,judiciary and media are afraid to tackle head on.... you ask anyone from outside wexford what they think of when you mention Enniscorthy and i bet dog poo is not even mentioned!

Sure, you may get the dog issue half heartly addressed while at the same time the outer areas of both sides of the town become no go areas.. especially the shannon side of the town.

I don't think its a trivial matter at all, its a public health hazard. So to suggest i "think" that is incorrect zerks.:rolleyes:

However, i do think that it is way down the list of priorities when it comes to issues in Enniscorthy.
    My main concern would be the anti social/criminal element in the town.
    You know the minority who ride rough shod over the other people of the town, the same group that the local politicians,gardai,judiciary and media are afraid to tackle head on.... you ask anyone from outside wexford what they think of when you mention Enniscorthy and i bet dog poo is not even mentioned!

Sure, you may get the dog issue half heartly addressed while at the same time the outer areas of both sides of the town become no go areas.. especially the shannon side of the town.

I'm well aware of outsiders' perceptions of Enniscorthy,I've lost count of the number of times it's been said to me about it being "rough" when I mention I'm from there.
    With regard to the antisocial elements,we all know who they are & where they live yet they seem to end up in court almost weekly yet end up walking free with at most a nominal fine & continue to do what they do best seemingly without fear.I'm very familiar with the problems on the Shannon side of town,much of the trouble now is caused by 2nd generation gougers,I knew their parents as gougers when they were growing up & they've passed this trait onto their kids.Many of the residents are decent people & as is typical all over Ireland it's the same few who drag the place down.

I'm well aware of outsiders' perceptions of Enniscorthy,I've lost count of the number of times it's been said to me about it being "rough" when I mention I'm from there.
    With regard to the antisocial elements,we all know who they are & where they live yet they seem to end up in court almost weekly yet end up walking free with at most a nominal fine & continue to do what they do best seemingly without fear.I'm very familiar with the problems on the Shannon side of town,much of the trouble now is caused by 2nd generation gougers,I knew their parents as gougers when they were growing up & they've passed this trait onto their kids.Many of the residents are decent people & as is typical all over Ireland it's the same few who drag the place down.
    That's the real issue, in Enniscorthy the minority act like a majority.
    I lived there for a number of years and have first hand experience of this.

What are jackser and co really doing about the REAL threat to this historic town?
    Houses being built without planning, illegal dumping, road traffic offences etc etc... Cops pay lip service as it is too much hassle to pursue these individuals.
    I remember the town being a community when I was young...unfortunately the wrong type of community are now taking over.
    And re the cinema.... Most people started to avoid it because of the hassle/disruption caused by the young generation of a certain minority group...

That's the real issue, in Enniscorthy the minority act like a majority.
    I lived there for a number of years and have first hand experience of this.

What are jackser and co really doing about the REAL threat to this historic town?
    Houses being built without planning, illegal dumping, road traffic offences etc etc... Cops pay lip service as it is too much hassle to pursue these individuals.
    I remember the town being a community when I was young...unfortunately the wrong type of community are now taking over.
    And re the cinema.... Most people started to avoid it because of the hassle/disruption caused by the young generation of a certain minority group...

Just ask Cllr Paddy Kavanagh on his views of this topic.

About the cinema,I was just discussing it the other day & you are right.I used to go regularly but Saturday nights became a nightmare & I along with many more gave up going there.Pity.I won't go any further as it's an emotive issue (just have a look in After Hours) & we don't need to go down that route as without spelling things out we are reading from the same hymn sheet.

• Advertisement

Just ask Cllr Paddy Kavanagh on his views of this topic.
    I saw him on the TV...once again zerks, more focus on the big issues maybe would help instead of trying to deflect attention from it.
    He ,I suspect was trying to communicate what many people believe.
    He came across poorly and his Concerns were dismissed.
    Just to add, I would really like to know exactly what our local politicians think about this anti social element taking over the town... Or will they forever live in fear of speaking the truth?

When we see a Channel 4 film crew in town,we'll know it's gone past the point of no return.

Back to the topic of dogs.Parked near the top of the prom this morning & when I got out was greeted by the sight of a fresh canine deposit-literally feet away from a sign warning dog owners to clean up after their pets.

It wasn't as bad as the sight of one of our local al fresco drinkers taking a piss against the wall at the back gate into the L&N carpark.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

When we see a Channel 4 film crew in town,we'll know it's gone past the point of no return.

:D

I was just saying to someone the other day that I wouldnt be surprised to see a camera crew up at the cross at Gimont Avenue on a saturday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

Gorey is gone the exact same with dog poo, I went to Gorey on Wednesday and I brought my 3 year old daughter with me. She had a major hip operation in September and couldnt walk for 2 months. I was walking down the street with her and she stepped in dog poo, slipped and fell onto the ground. She has bruises now, I'm so mad because I do everything I can to make sure she doesn't hurt her hip. Its like an obstacle course around the side streets of Gorey.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭haron

So yet again the island is flooded and horse's stranded in the rising waters. Amazing how the some people are let keep animals

haron wrote: »
    So yet again the island is flooded and horse's stranded in the rising waters. Amazing how the some people are let keep animals
    Animals keeping animals you mean?...

Be aware folks,oil thieves are on the prowl again in the Enniscorthy area.Found out that some people I know have had oil stolen,pretty brazenly too as it was done during the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

3757682616_8817112e63.jpg

Today's Enniscorthy Guardian carries a report that the Council are to spend €500,000 on refurbishing their shortly to be vacated offices in the Market Square - quite unbelievable you would think but we should be used to their madness by now. Quite why the town's ratepayers don't organise a boycott of the rates is beyond me.

Elsewhere, the https://www.facebook.com/GetShopsIntoEnniscorthy got a mention as two shops named as being in danger of closing hit-out at the reports.

• Advertisement

The madness continues,first a fortune was spent on the Court House which is vacant & now HALF A MILLION EUROS!!! is to be spent on another soon to be empty building.Does anybody have the balls to stand up at a council meeting & shout stop?

They'd be better served spending the money fixing the roads around the town & it's environs,I drove from Scarawalsh to the Milehouse & out towards Kiltrea & I swear there's better roads in Syria & they've been bombed!!

Advertisement