Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

I see that phase 2 of the Parnell road footpath reconstruction has come to a halt. I wonder have they found Oil, Gold, or an old burial site. ?????

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

zerks wrote: »
    The madness continues,first a fortune was spent on the Court House which is vacant & now HALF A MILLION EUROS!!! is to be spent on another soon to be empty building.Does anybody have the balls to stand up at a council meeting & shout stop?

They'd be better served spending the money fixing the roads around the town & it's environs,I drove from Scarawalsh to the Milehouse & out towards Kiltrea & I swear there's better roads in Syria & they've been bombed!!

The roads are coming apart all over the place and those big blobs of tarmac they leave sticking up do nothing but create bumbs,on a brighter note I see that the busy roadway of Church St is being renovated thir year hopefully they don't remove the parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Enniscorthy is included in this survey, be sure to complete it if its applicable to you by 8th Feb

http://www.education.ie/en/Schools-Colleges/Information/Diversity-of-Patronage/Surveys.html

Be part of the solution, not part of the problem !!

kneemos wrote: »
    The roads are coming apart all over the place and those big blobs of tarmac they leave sticking up do nothing but create bumbs,on a brighter note I see that the busy roadway of Church St is being renovated thir year hopefully they don't remove the parking.

Nope they are removing the footpath outside the church. :eek:
    What a well thought out decision this is.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Navarre wrote: »
    Nope they are removing the footpath outside the church. :eek:
    What a well thought out decision this is.:rolleyes:

No, it's even better than that - they are removing the footpath beside the church and widening the one on the other side. In other words the actual amount of road space gained will be minimal and anyway is it desirable to turn Church Street into a rat race? No doubt the new pavement will be the no expenses spared stone and will be quickly defaced by gum and dog ****e.

Some of the €500k about to be squandered on the Council offices would be better spent on cleaning the town up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Ya, €500k on a soon to be empty building... meanwhile I have to negotiate my way around potholes and disappearing ditchside road every day from Coolgarrow into town.

Driving into town in the middle of the road (as a matter of necessity) last week when an artic came around the corner just before the bridge at Cooladine/Finchougue. I slowed down and headed in towards the ditch and the car suddenly dropped about 1/2 foot as I hit a section of no road.

Makes me sick that I'm expected to pay property tax this year... when money is píssed down the drain and services will not improve one bit.

The mother pointed out one of the great benefits of living in The Moyne to me last week -

If you don't want something that's been lying around your house taking up space, then leave it in the front garden and it'll be robbed that night.

She had an old kids scooter last week that she wanted rid of. Left it in the garden that night and damn sure... it was gone the next day.

According to this week's Echo, the proposal to reverse the one way system at Dunnes Stores is to go ahead... against advice to the contrary from the Gardai and road engineers.

This in it's very self, is the only proof that anyone ever need know that confirms that the town is being run by a total and utter shower of muppets.

Supposedly more cars running through the town centre, is going to promote shopping.... need I say anymore?

I've just came up with a great idea... man, if were to run for town council this would surely get me votes, it goes like this ->

Dig up the all the paving and other fittings on Rafter Street and convert it back a road.

Benefits:

- It fits right in with the town's ethos of doing a job, then un-doing it, and consequently píssing a shíte load of money down the drain
    - Traffic will increase in the area
    - The potential for lazy bástards who can't walk from designated car parks to be able to drive right up to their favourite shop will be increased
    - I could have my photo in the Echo as the plonker who came up with the idea

I'll be forever known as the man who saved shopping in Enniscorthy!!!

I think that the state that the new surface is in will be used as an excuse to rip it all up again. Even if they do, there won't any shops left by the time the job is finished. I note that the discount designer shop opposite Stafford's butchers has gone already and I can't see the "Jean Depot" surviving for too long.

• Advertisement

I see Phase 3 of the Parnell road footpath (La Di Da's Dog toilet) reconstruction has started today. And the Junction ( death trap) surface at the top Weafer st is crumbling away. Wont be long before some one will get trapped down in the potholes that are appearing there.

A significant portion of the main street in Wexford is pedestrianized to promote shopping... Enniscorthy want more cars passing through the town centre to promote shopping... talk about complete opposites.

I've never, ever even contemplated looking for a car park space in or around the Market Square when I need to stop off for something. I can park in Dunnes, Murphy Floods old site, the old Dunnes cark park and access just about everything in the spaces of a few minutes.

As for the removal of the footpath up at the Protestant Church.. why not prohibit parking on that street.. problem solved? It holds about 15 cars... let them go park somewhere else.

It so ironic that, in an age where we're being told were obese and un-fit and we might tax you're fatty foods and sugary drinks, that Enniscorthy wants to promote cars driving right up to shop doors.

The former Permanent/TSB premises on the Market Square is now on the market for half nothing - a mere €300,000. Compare this to a small premises on Slaney Street which is on the market for €250,000 ! The building is in need of repair but still a bargain at that price. No doubt one of the usual merchant princes will soon add it to their property portfolio.

tsb%2B2.PNG

http://www.property.ie/commercial-property/Market-Square-Enniscorthy-Co-Wexford/110144/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭paulaa

jpb1974 wrote: »
    A significant portion of the main street in Wexford is pedestrianized to promote shopping... Enniscorthy want more cars passing through the town centre to promote shopping... talk about complete opposites.

I've never, ever even contemplated looking for a car park space in or around the Market Square when I need to stop off for something. I can park in Dunnes, Murphy Floods old site, the old Dunnes cark park and access just about everything in the spaces of a few minutes.

As for the removal of the footpath up at the Protestant Church.. why not prohibit parking on that street.. problem solved? It holds about 15 cars... let them go park somewhere else.

It so ironic that, in an age where we're being told were obese and un-fit and we might tax you're fatty foods and sugary drinks, that Enniscorthy wants to promote cars driving right up to shop doors.

I have to disagree with you on the parking. One of the reasons that Enniscorthy has lost customers in the last few years is the loss of parking spaces in the town centre.

You may be a young thing , able to run up and down hills but there are a lot of older people and people with disabilities who need to be able to park fairly near to shops. Many of them are not able to carry shopping up hills. I know one couple in their 60s who drive to Bunclody because they can get parking , do their shopping and have a cup of tea without having to climb hills.

St Mary's church will need parking for funerals etc. My mother's funeral was there last year and it was a pain trying to get all the elderly relatives out of the cars and into the church. It was like a military manouver , at a time when people need less stress , not more. But then as you say, let them go elsewhere :rolleyes:

But then as you say, let them go elsewhere rolleyes.png

What's the 'roll eyes (sarcastic)' smilie in aid of? Are you looking down on my personal opinion just because you don't agree with it? I don't agree with your opinion, but it's your to have and I'll respect it.

I don't agree that the town needs to be one big massive car park, especially in areas where it makes little or no sense to have cars parked due to how narrow the road already is. In fact I see this as one of the town's bigger problems.

No disrepsect, but funerals are the exception rather than the norm, you cannot have a road traffic / town access plan that is based on the exception.

There are car parks at Lidl, Aldi, Supervalu, Dunnes Stores, Pettits and the Old Dunnes stores. Drop offs are an option too.

One of the reasons that Enniscorthy has lost customers in the last few years is the loss of parking spaces in the town centre.

Other than the Rafter Street conversion, I can't think of too many losses.

I can think of some additions though.. e.g. new Dunnes, Murphy Floods site, behind the Boys Club, the Bailey.

"Looking down on your opinion" what are you on about ? I don't agree with you, simple.

Your post came across as patronising and dismissive .It reads that those using St Mary's Church and the elderly etc who need to park near to the shops they're using "could go someplace else".

You see that attitude is one of the reasons the town in the state it's in imo.

Yes people are parking in Aldi, Lidl etc, that's why few use the shops in the square , Rafter street etc anymore.

It reads that those using St Mary's Church and the elderly etc who need to park near to the shops they're using "could go someplace else".

That how it reads to you. What it reads to me is that it's an extremely narrow stretch of road that does not facilitate both free flowing traffic and car parking. In my opinion, that road would be best served without those spaces. In the same way that spaces are no longer available on Rafter Street people can park in the many other spaces throughout the town.

In the same way that there should be a zero tolerance policy regarding parking in the bus stop on the Quay. Now, I'm sure some bricky who stops every morning for his breakfast roll will take a serious dislike to my opinion stating "it's no big deal" and "I'm in and out in 2 minutes" , but the hassle it causes is detremental to the town.
    You see that attitude is one of the reasons the town in the state it's in imo.

I think I just mentioned about 4 new car parks in the town... vs the removal of 15 spaces on a very narrow road and the retention of the footpath.

What do you believe is more important... footpaths or car park spaces?

I'm all for doing things the right way in the town. So not sure how you came to that conclusion.
    Yes people are parking in Aldi, Lidl etc, that's why few use the shops in the square , Rafter street etc anymore.

Interesting how you cherry picked the town car parks furthest out from the town centre, and failed to recognize those close to the town centre that I mentioned. Good arguement tactics... when the cherry picking goes un-noticed.

Other than the Rafter Street conversion, I can't think of too many losses.

I can think of some additions though.. e.g. new Dunnes, Murphy Floods site, behind the Boys Club, the Bailey.

Loads of parking spaces went when they put in that monstrosity of a square. Slaney Street had traffic and parking years ago. Castle hill lost parking spaces as did Friary Hill and Irish street . Yes there were gains in the likes of Dunnes car park but by and large as I said losing those convenient spaces is losing the town centre business. That, and the rates, ridiculous rents etc.

But Slaney Street is another example of a disaster of a road for both car parking and traffic. It made total sense to pedestrianize it.

Castle Hill is another area that just doesn't lend itself to loads of cars parked on it.

Irish Street is well facilitate from what I can see in terms of car parks... just a shame that everyone still wants to park on the double yellow lines outside Dunnes.

I can't even remember what the Market Square was like.. but there are lots of spaces from the Market Square, and back around down by the Cathedral and back along the Market Square again. There is parking just about everywhere it makes sense... and beyond.

You have to have some sort of common sense approach to this, otherwise the town is going to end up as one permanent traffic jam.

I don't favour the removal of footpaths over car parks... and I see a darn sight more older people walking than driving cars.

My mother walks everywhere because traffic is the issue... not parking... traffic.

• Advertisement

That how it reads to you. What it reads to me is that it's an extremely narrow stretch of road that does not facilitate both free flowing traffic and car parking. In my opinion, that road would be best served without those spaces. In the same way that spaces are no longer available on Rafter Street people can park in the many other spaces throughout the town.

In the same way that there should be a zero tolerance policy regarding parking in the bus stop on the Quay. Now, I'm sure some bricky who stops every morning for his breakfast roll will take a serious dislike to my opinion stating "it's no big deal" and "I'm in and out in 2 minutes" , but the hassle it causes is detremental to the town.

I think I just mentioned about 4 new car parks in the town... vs the removal of 15 spaces on a very narrow road and the retention of the footpath.

What do you believe is more important... footpaths or car park spaces?

I'm all for doing things the right way in the town. So not sure how you came to that conclusion.

Interesting how you cherry picked the town car parks furthest out from the town centre, and failed to recognize those close to the town centre that I mentioned. Good arguement tactics... when the cherry picking goes un-noticed.

I don't know what your problem is but I don't feel the need use "tactics" or win the debate, I thought we were discussing a subject we both cared about.

I mentioned the 2 shops in Bellefield because they're the one I use most. Everytime I've parked in Dunne's car park the car ends up with marks and dents because parents cant be bothered teaching their kids to respect other people's property. At time the murphyFloods site is like it had been bombed with broken glass so I don't go there.

As to what I think is more important , I think it's irrelevant because the custom is just not there in any great numbers anymore.

I find it amazing that when the town was vibrant and alive with loads of successful business the traffic was managable. Now they can't seem to organise it and there's very little going on in the town centre.

You started out rolling your eyes sarcastically, which I find disrespectful.

You seem to have a problem with my post, rather than politely disagreeing.

You've told me that it's my type of attitude that is hurting the town, which I completley fail to understand.

So, I don't find you a terribly pleasant person right now... so I'll debate my points and pick apart yours :)

Well I apologise if I come across as unpleasant. Your statement about "looking down " on your opinions came across as a bit cranky and defensive
    I also found your reference to people using the church and the elderly to go someplace else a bit ignorant and selfish.

However we're not going to sort the town out, it's gone too far imo

I find it amazing that when the town was vibrant and alive with loads of successful business the traffic was managable. Now they can't seem to organise it and there's very little going on in the town centre.
    • A huge surge in car ownership during the Celtic Tiger
      • Results in fewer people willing to walk places and way more cars on the road
      • Results in people prefering to travel further afield
      • Results in people realizing there is far more choice in other towns
    • Post Celtic Tiger, people have less money to spend and want more value for it. Enniscorthy is not a value for money town
    • Internet shopping = better value for money, way more choice, no traffic jams, no parking hassles
    Times have changed and the town hasn't kept up. The number of cars on the road are probably in the region of 10 times what they were 10, 15 ,20 years ago.

I also found your reference to people using the church and the elderly to go someplace else a bit ignorant and selfish.

I never mentioned the elderly or church goers, you did. I was looking at the situation in common sense terms... the width of the road, the necessity for cark parks spaces, the proposed removal of the path.

I think you need to put it into context... car park spaces over foot paths?

• A huge surge in car ownership during the Celtic Tiger
      • Results in fewer people willing to walk places and way more cars on the road
      • Results in people prefering to travel further afield
      • Results in people realizing there is far more choice in other towns
    • Post Celtic Tiger, people have less money to spend and want more value for it. Enniscorthy is not a value for money town
    • Internet shopping = better value for money, way more choice, no traffic jams, no parking hassles
    Times have changed and the town hasn't kept up.

I agree with a lot of that. However there are less people in town and it's surrounds now than during the CT. The construction workers have mostly gone back to their own countries. Many have emigrated so the population has fallen but traffic control still seems to be a mess

Well, personally I think car ownership is the single biggest cause of the increase in traffic.

Then factor in things such as...

* Wet weather is almost a permanent fixture year round now, so more people are using the car

* There's no doubt the town's population has risen, and even after a post CT decline, houses are still everywhere. Somewhere like the Milehouse is now frantic with traffic whereas there was next to nothing out that way 20 years ago

* The Zebra crossing, traffic light, zebra crossing implementation up by Pettits for example, does nothing to help the traffic... factor in Lidl and Aldi too... and the Vocational school... and all the houses out that way

* The new Dunnes delivery entrance causing havoc with traffic

* Way more bus services running these days... so more daily hassle at the bus stop

I walked to school in the 80s from Fr. Cullens Terrace to St. Senans Primary School. I now know people that live in Slaney View Park and drive their kids to the school and the Rovers pitch.

These are all small things... but you add them up and they start to have consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

With regards to traffic in the town,parking isn't really a problem.There just seems to be traffic jams no matter what time of day you try to get through town.

The other day I was driving against the flow of traffic & it was backed up from the town centre to the roundabout at Lidl.I first thought it was the school run but looked at the time & there were no kids in any of the cars.It takes very little to bring everything to a halt in the town & the way traffic is managed there's no way to avoid choke points.
    Now the council want to make the problem ten times worse,I swear they must be vying for an award for stupidity.

Navarre mentioned the top of Weafer St. which is like Russian Roulette & now has a lovely hole in the middle of the junction which I hit yesterday & it nearly sent my car sideways.Of course nobody is sent out to fix it & the usual shovel of rubbish delay set tar will be dumped in it which will last all of a day.

I am glad that is now sorted. I thought for a min that i would need to be blowing me refs whistle to calm things down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

It's ridiculous that the only access to Court St. is via Church St. it's almost as if they were trying to close it down.

Advertisement