Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

zerks wrote: »

Navarre mentioned the top of Weafer St. which is like Russian Roulette & now has a lovely hole in the middle of the junction which I hit yesterday & it nearly sent my car sideways.Of course nobody is sent out to fix it & the usual shovel of rubbish delay set tar will be dumped in it which will last all of a day.

Dont worry Zerks the council are now renting this baby to fill in the potholes all around the town.
    cskyh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭paulaa

jpb1974 wrote: »
    Well, personally I think car ownership is the single biggest cause of the increase in traffic.

Then factor in things such as...

* Wet weather is almost a permanent fixture year round now, so more people are using the car

* There's no doubt the town's population has risen, and even after a post CT decline, houses are still everywhere. Somewhere like the Milehouse is now frantic with traffic whereas there was next to nothing out that way 20 years ago

* The Zebra crossing, traffic light, zebra crossing implementation up by Pettits for example, does nothing to help the traffic... factor in Lidl and Aldi too... and the Vocational school... and all the houses out that way

* The new Dunnes delivery entrance causing havoc with traffic

* Way more bus services running these days... so more daily hassle at the bus stop

I walked to school in the 80s from Fr. Cullens Terrace to St. Senans Primary School. I now know people that live in Slaney View Park and drive their kids to the school and the Rovers pitch.

These are all small things... but you add them up and they start to have consequences.

Do you have any ideas what the town will be like when/if it's bypassed ?

Navarre wrote: »
    I am glad that is now sorted. I thought for a min that i would need to be blowing me refs whistle to calm things down.

Ah now, I know we're scalders but we can be civilised :)
    Sometimes it's easy for things to come across the wrong way on the internet when you can't see the person.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

paulaa wrote: »
    Do you have any ideas what the town will be like when/if it's bypassed ?

It will have little effect as the traffic getting caught up in the town is 99% local.The bypass will benefit anyone using the N11 who get stuck coming either southbound or northbound along it,Island Road will be freed up as will the approach from Wexford.
    The rest of the town will still be chockablock & I agree with JPB's point about lazy parents driving kids to school when they literally live around the corner.

I find the traffic situation laughable,it's not as if all these people are flocking to the town to shop,there's nothing in the place.It can be described as the County's biggest car park-full of cars but very little people on foot.

It will have little effect as the traffic getting caught up in the town is 99% local.The bypass will benefit anyone using the N11 who get stuck coming either southbound or northbound along it,Island Road will be freed up as will the approach from Wexford.
    The rest of the town will still be chockablock & I agree with JPB's point about lazy parents driving kids to school when they literally live around the corner.

I find the traffic situation laughable,it's not as if all these people are flocking to the town to shop,there's nothing in the place.It can be described as the County's biggest car park-full of cars but very little people on foot.

Thanks, i've seen that myself . People driving their kids to the next street. Back in the stone age (early 70's) I walked from Milehouse Road to the old Mercy Convent 4 times a day. You wouldn't even think of asking to be driven to school in those days.

• Advertisement

paulaa wrote: »
    Ah now, I know we're scalders but we can be civilised :)

Yes but are you both from the same parish. :D:D:D

Yes but are you both from the same parish. :D:D:D

Oh Lord, now you're asking for trouble dragging that one up :p

Friday: Normally the busiest day in the town but not anymore.Had a stroll through the place & very few people about.Decided on Rafter Street to do a quick headcount of people in the shops.

One in the Sports Shop,3 in Delaneys, Zero in Jean Depot or any store up along to the corner of Church St.One in Whites and nobody in either of the butchers.

Smyths looked just as quiet.

So excluding the coffee shops there were 4 people shopping/browsing & this is meant to be the main Pedestrianised retail hub of the town??

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

What's with all the car crashes outside St.Aidans school,the railing is in bits,it looks as if cars are hitting those new islands and ending up in the fence.

kneemos wrote: »
    What's with all the car crashes outside St.Aidans school,the railing is in bits,it looks as if cars are hitting those new islands and ending up in the fence.

Women drivers? :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

Women drivers? :p

*SLAP* ;)

Was nice strolling through the town yesterday & seeing so many familiar faces out & about.Great meeting so many people I know from around Enniscorthy spending a few bob & helping the local economy................oh wait,I just remembered-I was in Wexford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

New Cancer charity shop has moved from top of Slaney Street to the old "Next Door" off licence premises above the cathedral - could it be further away from shoppers?

Last Thursday I counted 12 dog ****es on the footpath from Doyles pub the whole way down pass St Aidans school. This is the busiest footpath in the Town . Also what I cant get around is that out side the school there is double yellow lines the whole way down yet people park there during school times does the Traffic warden not walk up that way at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭barney 20v

Last Thursday I counted 12 dog ****es on the footpath from Doyles pub the whole way down pass St Aidans school. This is the busiest footpath in the Town . Also what I cant get around is that out side the school there is double yellow lines the whole way down yet people park there during school times does the Traffic warden not walk up that way at all.
    St Aidan's direction is uphill...that rules out a visit by our pudgey traffic warden....also less available corners to stop and talk sh1te to locals instead of doing his job....moving about and checking!

People were parking on the double yellow lines literally as soon as they were painted,they don't give a shite,some would drive into the classroom given half a chance.I know a few of these people & they live only 5 mins walk from the school.

If you think the dog crap problem is bad by St. Aidans,have a stroll along Bellfield down to the 'Tec.It's dogshit alley down there.

Here's an idea for our councillors who read this thread: Why not ask if the Community Warden can actually justify his wages & perhaps start work a bit earlier on random days & catch all these dog owners "in the act" then dish out some fines.
    Councils in parts of the UK have hired private contractors to hand out fines for littering & dog fouling,they can be underhanded in their tactics but they are effective and are bringing in huge revenues for said councils.Perhaps if wardens were more efficient here we'd have a cleaner town,I've never seen the local Community Wardens on foot & am beginning to think they are fused to the seats in their vans.

The dogs on the streets (sorry :D) know who some of the main culprits are, and they are some of the town's best known citizens. A private operator handing out fines sounds a great idea. After dog ****e he can start on chewing gum.

Work started on Church Street this morning and I'll be keeping my powder dry on this development - for now.

IRISH%2BRAILWAYS%2BBOOK%2B003.JPG

The Traffic warden had the double yellow lines clear today outside St Aidans school. I do hope its not a once off appearance for him. A big thanks to our boards.ie member on the council.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭jordata

There were 2 traffic wardens outside St Aidan’s school at 9am this morning. Parents were ignoring them and stopping to empty kids out on the double yellow line as usual. I felt a bit bad for the traffic wardens as they looked like 2 lost puppies standing there with their clip boards. I am not sure what they can do if parents choose to ignore them because if they approach the culprits to issue a ticket or whatever surely they will only add to traffic delays. Traffic was backed up inbound as far as St Patrick’s school at that stage. :mad:

• Advertisement

jordata wrote: »
    There were 2 traffic wardens outside St Aidan’s school at 9am this morning. Parents were ignoring them and stopping to empty kids out on the double yellow line as usual. I felt a bit bad for the traffic wardens as they looked like 2 lost puppies standing there with their clip boards. I am not sure what they can do if parents choose to ignore them because if they approach the culprits to issue a ticket or whatever surely they will only add to traffic delays. Traffic was backed up inbound as far as St Patrick’s school at that stage. :mad:

A quick call to the Garda station would do the job.License plate numbers taken & a fine arrives in the post a few days later.

I've made the mistake of driving down that road during the school run & some of them look at you as if you are scum as you try to negotiate a way through the gridlock.It's as if you are the one in the wrong instead of those illegally parked.

jordata wrote: »

Taking numbers and issuing warnings perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭blindsider

Very best of luck to 'scorthy in the All Ireland Junior Cup v Tullamore on Saturday, in Cill Dara RFC.

Tullamore were far, far better than Kanturk (away semi-final 0 -24) but 'scorthy had a tough away fixture up North also.

I was at the Kanturk v Tullamore game - Kanturk haven't lost at home in 5 yrs before the T'more game. Tullamore were very good - thoroughly deserved the win....... but..... 'scorthy had a v tough QF away to Skibbereen and did the business when many had written them off - and went on to do it again in the SF v Clogher Valley in Fermanagh! No easy games for the boys from the Ross Rd!

So it's all set up for a titanic battle - it's going to be a hard-fought Final.

BUT - I know 'scorthy can dig deep for this one - g'wan lads - ye're well able! Well able!!!

Hope they get good travelling support for a very big occasion!

Very best of luck lads!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭IsaBrown

blindsider wrote: »
    Very best of luck to 'scorthy in the All Ireland Junior Cup v Tullamore on Saturday, in Cill Dara RFC.

Tullamore were far, far better than Kanturk (away semi-final 0 -24) but 'scorthy had a tough away fixture up North also.

I was at the Kanturk v Tullamore game - Kanturk haven't lost at home in 5 yrs before the T'more game. Tullamore were very good - thoroughly deserved the win....... but..... 'scorthy had a v tough QF away to Skibbereen and did the business when many had written them off - and went on to do it again in the SF v Clogher Valley in Fermanagh! No easy games for the boys from the Ross Rd!

So it's all set up for a titanic battle - it's going to be a hard-fought Final.

BUT - I know 'scorthy can dig deep for this one - g'wan lads - ye're well able! Well able!!!

Hope they get good travelling support for a very big occasion!

Very best of luck lads!!!!

skibereen was 1st round, then they were at home v Donnaghadee in quarter final and away to Clogher Valley in semi.

comon scorthy.going to be a great game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭blindsider

blindsider wrote: »

Isn't that the one that was burnt? Anyway, it's a wreck and Slaney Street is a disaster zone as far as retailing is concerned. €20k with it and I'll take it off their hands.

As for the 'thing' at the junction - what would you do with it - nice location if it weren't for the traffic and the locals.

Noticed that Bart's Cancer Charity has now relocated from under Murt Walsh's to the old "Next Door" off licence premises above the cathederal.

An interesting postcard view of Castle Street at the turn of the 19th/20th century. Not a boy racer in sight, just a solitary ass and cart. :)

Enniscorthy+PC+Castle+Street.jpg

http://countywexford.blogspot.ie/

An interesting postcard view of Castle Street at the turn of the 19th/20th century. Not a boy racer in sight, just a solitary ass and cart. :)

Enniscorthy+PC+Castle+Street.jpg

http://countywexford.blogspot.ie/

Not much changed then.

• Advertisement

kneemos wrote: »
    Not much changed then.

Except it was busier back then.

Advertisement