Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Ian7

kneemos wrote: »

Thing is I doubt half of Enniscorthy are driving to Wexford because they can't get parking or make their way around in fairness.

we dont have the shops because of those factors though. and you'd be surprised at what people will do, its all about psychology. Wexford is flat and linear, enniscorthy is up and down and around corners, shops ''seem'' further apart than they really are. You could be in the dunnes stores and the old dunnes car park can feel like its a mile or two away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Whites sale is now 50% off but I still couldn't find anything worth buying. On a positive note the pub, formerly Colman's, on the Market Square has been leased and today was receiving a fresh coat of paint. The inside looks quite smart too.

PUB+001.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭efc67

Whites sale is now 50% off but I still couldn't find anything worth buying. On a positive note the pub, formerly Colman's, on the Market Square has been leased and today was receiving a fresh coat of paint. The inside looks quite smart too.

PUB+001.JPG

Good luck to Robbie on his New venture

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭barney 20v

As I have said for years....only two business's do well in enniscorthy ... Pubs or bookies
    If the locals ain't in one they are in the other

Do you know me? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭paulaa

Ian7 wrote: »
    Paula, cheers for bringing this issue up, I have my own theory about this, before I get to the main point though we just have to look at the background factor, both wex and gorey have a larger cachement area and population, gorey especially has seen a sharp rise due to dublin commuters, there has been no reason for scorthy's population to see much rise but thats just one point. I've been thinking about this for awhile now and I reckon a lot if it has to do with urban and centre planning. Notice that gorey and wexford have a linear main street with much variety along the one route, this seems to be of great importance to the modern shopper who expects handy parking and direct walking routes. Now look at enniscorthy, three main shopping areas, rafter st, main st/irish street and to a lesser extent slaney st/castle hill all broken up and separated by a pedestrian unfriendly market square with very little going on in it. There has been little to no foresight with regard to commercial planning in this town and that in my humble opinion is a big big problem.

I made that point here before about people wanting parking close to the shops they're visiting . The town is not suitable for so much pedestrianisation . That square is a monstrosity that hasn't yet decided what it's supposed to be. It has no character

Enniscorthy was always a market town and the square had a charm of it's own. You go to small towns in France and they haven't vandalised them. Rather they have kept the character of a small town and worked around that. They concentrate on having good small shops selling a variety of items and reasonably priced quality goods, while we have an abundance of charity shops and pound/euro shops .

Anyone with a good idea for something a bit different is not going to be attracted to Enniscorthy.

paulaa wrote: »
    I made that point here before about people wanting parking close to the shops they're visiting . The town is not suitable for so much pedestrianisation . That square is a monstrosity that hasn't yet decided what it's supposed to be. It has no character

Enniscorthy was always a market town and the square had a charm of it's own. You go to small towns in France and they haven't vandalised them. Rather they have kept the character of a small town and worked around that. They concentrate on having good small shops selling a variety of items and reasonably priced quality goods, while we have an abundance of charity shops and pound/euro shops .

Anyone with a good idea for something a bit different is not going to be attracted to Enniscorthy.

Not while the rates are so high they wont......................make Old Dunnes Stores parking for free, attract people into the town, at the moment there are very little incentives to come and shop in Enniscorthy

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

efc67 wrote: »
    Not while the rates are so high they wont......................make Old Dunnes Stores parking for free, attract people into the town, at the moment there are very little incentives to come and shop in Enniscorthy

Another problem is a minority own a lot of property in the town & are in LaLa Land when it comes to rents,the buildings are paid for so they don't really care if they remain vacant.This coupled with extortionate rates makes it virtually impossible for a new business to gain a foothold.I reckon the average life expectancy of a new shop in the town is between 3 to 6 months.

I noticed the other day that the surface on Rafter Street is starting to come apart & it's not in areas where traffic travels on it.Another job well done:rolleyes:

Some good news,one lucky sod bought a €500,000 winning ticket for the Euromillions last week in The Bus Stop Shop.Could be a local or somebody passing through waiting for the bus but fair play all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

What's happening with St.Senans now? I know it closed down but is the building just gonna be left to rot like the Old Hospital building in Wexford?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

zerks wrote: »
    Some good news,one lucky sod bought a €500,000 winning ticket for the Euromillions last week in The Bus Stop Shop.Could be a local or somebody passing through waiting for the bus but fair play all the same.

Good news? Find another thread please. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

vicwatson wrote: »
    What's happening with St.Senans now? I know it closed down but is the building just gonna be left to rot like the Old Hospital building in Wexford?

When did it close?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

When did it close?

Are you being sarcastic or genuine? I was under the impression that it had closed at least a year ago?

vicwatson wrote: »
    Are you being sarcastic or genuine? I was under the impression that it had closed at least a year ago?

I think there's still some patients in there though it's used mainly for administration as far as I know.

Back to the bad news.

Further to this post: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=83317484&postcount=1554 another fast food outlet has joined Dario's as a place to avoid see today's Enniscorthy Guardian - €6,000 fine for a mouldy battered sausage. Don't read the article on a full stomach! I had to laugh when I read of the unsafe practices carried on in the place - the Health Inspectors should visit the Bates Motel in Gorey amongst other places where similar procedures are in place.

First chewing gum on the new Church Street pavement and it's not even completed yet. .

Back to the bad news.

Further to this post: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=83317484&postcount=1554 another fast food outlet has joined Dario's as a place to avoid see today's Enniscorthy Guardian - €6,000 fine for a mouldy battered sausage. Don't read the article on a full stomach! I had to laugh when I read of the unsafe practices carried on in the place - the Health Inspectors should visit the Bates Motel in Gorey amongst other places where similar procedures are in place.

First chewing gum on the new Church Street pavement and it's not even completed yet. .

Although i do enjoy Darios stories ...(Bull****)....i only ever by a can of coke :)

Although i do enjoy Darios stories ...(Bull****)....i only ever by a can of coke :)

Not been in it for years but they used to have the best chicken curry and chips,was always impressed by their food quality I must say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

+1 for Dario's. I like their food. It always looks clean from what I can see but who knows what goes on out back.

saw on the paper yesterday the new man in charge talking about up and coming projects (not sure if they are continuations from the previous town clerk or if they are fresh new proposals) such as the revamping of the bus stop area on the quay, which can't be a bad thing. I wholeheartedly hope that the new clerk is right man for the job and that he will bring a fresh new energy to the town during his tenure...

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Padjo1981

PUB+001.JPG

Is is Robbin of what was Robbies Tavern opening it?

• Advertisement

Not been in it for years but they used to have the best chicken curry and chips,was always impressed by their food quality I must say.

Got food poisoning out of it before & haven't eaten in it since.

On the subject of Rafter St. etc. I took a stroll along there from Court St. this morning & it's a disgrace.Dog dirt along it & the surface is getting worse by the day with slabs rising up out of the ground or broken.I'm sure it'll take a claim from a member of the public who falls on it for action to be taken.Why can't the maintanence be done while the problems are minor instead of waiting for the place to look like a disaster zone.The tactile pavers outside the Town Council offices are in bits,an hours work would replace them.

Traffic lights being installed at the crossing from CWCW to Mace at Bellfield,maybe this time motorists will take notice that there's a pedestrian crossing there.

The paving on Rafter St. has a concrete base so they can't go anywhere,some of them are rocking and in fairness it shouldn't be a big job to fix.

Padjo1981 wrote: »
    Is is Robbin of what was Robbies Tavern opening it?

Yeah that's it Robbie Mc...................opening tomorrow...invite only i think, and proper opening on Friday....think he is Calling it Robbies Tavern

Got food poisoning out of it before & haven't eaten in it since.

On the subject of Rafter St. etc. I took a stroll along there from Court St. this morning & it's a disgrace.Dog dirt along it & the surface is getting worse by the day with slabs rising up out of the ground or broken.I'm sure it'll take a claim from a member of the public who falls on it for action to be taken.Why can't the maintanence be done while the problems are minor instead of waiting for the place to look like a disaster zone.The tactile pavers outside the Town Council offices are in bits,an hours work would replace them.

Traffic lights being installed at the crossing from CWCW to Mace at Bellfield,maybe this time motorists will take notice that there's a pedestrian crossing there.

I've seen farmyards that looked cleaner than Rafter St. sadly,honestly disapointing.

Robbies has gotten a new lick of paint before it opens,looks very well I must say.

Isn't that the one that was burnt? Anyway, it's a wreck and Slaney Street is a disaster zone as far as retailing is concerned. €20k with it and I'll take it off their hands.

As for the 'thing' at the junction - what would you do with it - nice location if it weren't for the traffic and the locals.

The premises in Slaney St. was withdrawn,Treacy's old furniture store was sold for €55k & a house in John's Villas went for the same price.

The premises in Slaney St. was withdrawn,Treacy's old furniture store was sold for €55k & a house in John's Villas went for the same price.

Which was Treacy's old furniture store??

Ah its ok...just realised......i wonder what they will do with it

Which was Treacy's old furniture store??

Ah its ok...just realised......i wonder what they will do with it

This:D

spearmint-rhino-gentlemans-club-las-vegas.jpg

KN Networks installing fibre optic cable around the town,expect decent broadband speeds by December according to Eircom's rollout timetable.

• Advertisement

is the furniture store the premises on the corner at templeshannon?

Advertisement