Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Navarre wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the ordinary public can sit in on Council meetings or voice their opinion on decisions made by the council regarding the state of the Town.

The press and public can attend,don't think your allowed speak though.As far as I know you can make submissions on local projects at the planning stage.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

kneemos wrote: »
    The press and public can attend,don't think your allowed speak though.As far as I know you can make submissions on local projects at the planning stage.

Thats the big problem. Residents of a town should be allowed to voice their opinion on the way things are run and not run by the council at council meetings after all its the residents who voted in these Councillors to do a job for the good of the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

A certain councillor was overheard saying this to a newly elected member,

"Here,have a brandy."

"I don't drink brandy."

"Get used to drinking it,you're a councillor now."

This is the calibre of the guys who literally have the fate of the town in their hands-I despair for the future of the place.It's in the toilet as it is & we are awaiting the final flush.

I was told that a few years ago when 1 of our Elected Councillors was running for his 1st election he spent 2 nights canvassing out in Ferns only to be told on the 2nd night by 1 resident from an estate out there that he is wasting his time because the people of Ferns cant vote in the Enniscorthy TOWN council elections.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭cython

Navarre wrote: »
    I was told that a few years ago when 1 of our Elected Councillors was running for his 1st election he spent 2 nights canvassing out in Ferns only to be told on the 2nd night by 1 resident from an estate out there that he is wasting his time because the people of Ferns cant vote in the Enniscorthy TOWN council elections.

That is just thoroughly depressing if true that someone so out of touch could get elected, seeing as you can go next to no distance out the Cherryorchard road (beyond Cherryorchard Heights, I think?) before you fall outside the eligibility area for voting in that election.

• Advertisement

Good to see the traffic warden patrolling the road outside St.Aidans school this morning.

Another thing is despite complaints by Keith Doyle,we still have the same culprits parking outside the graveyard for the day.Didn't know we needed builders & scaffolders in a graveyard:rolleyes:

I was walking that way yesterday. I wonder are the same 8 lumps of dog ****e still on the footpath from the presentation center to the lane way below the school or has the council had the sense to send someone down that way to clear and disinfect before young children walk to and from school.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

TheChevron wrote: »

They must have been at the Post Office the other morning,some of our residents with unique genetic traits were boxing the head off each other outside it at 9.15am.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭paulaa

An Enniscorthy ex-pat, now living in US and home for Christmas, said when asked what he thought of the town, the people look either threatening or depressed.

I suppose the same could be said for many small towns

• Advertisement

zerks wrote: »
    They must have been at the Post Office the other morning,some of our residents with unique genetic traits were boxing the head off each other outside it at 9.15am.

They were probably waiting in line to collect their hard earned wages supplied to them by tax payers for doing Sweet Feck All. And after they collected their wages for cheap cans they probably went down to the clinic to beg for money for the ripped coats and shirts they received from the fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Q&S Interiors on Rafter Street - Closing Down Sale now on. I wonder if it will go on for as long as their "Renovation" Sale. :D

I hear on the bush telegraph that a meeting of all the town's traders is to take place to discuss the ongoing saga of the old Dunnes Stores premises on Rafter Street. I for one would support a boycott and picket of the new Dunnes Stores until there's a satisfactory outcome.

I hear on the bush telegraph that a meeting of all the town's traders is to take place to discuss the ongoing saga of the old Dunnes Stores premises on Rafter Street. I for one would support a boycott and picket of the new Dunnes Stores until there's a satisfactory outcome.

About time,the empty building is killing what used to be the main trading area of the town.
    Ridiculous how one store can hold the fate of so many in it's hands.

There might not be a queue trying to get in to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭barney 20v

I do not agree with this course of action.
    How many locals are employed by dunnes stores in enniscorthy??
    Why endanger more local jobs??

The problems in enniscorthy Are more than this one issue

Good question - how many "locals" are employed by Dunnes? Anyway, you're point is a good one and there's more than the old Dunnes Stores premises the cause of our problems. I was probably being a little two-faced in my boycott suggestion as I already do as little as possible of my shopping in Dunnes. This is not due to the staff who are invariably helpful , but the management neither know nor care about how they run the store. Probably it's run no worse or better than other Dunnes outlets but that's not a recommendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭barney 20v

I know loads of people who work in that store, not all from the town but most from the surrounding areas.
    I for one would not lose sleep over traders going bust in enniscorthy . They created the mess they are in.
    IMO they had it too good for too long.
    Value and choice are alien words to many traders in town... Like I have said before, only bookies and pubs have a future in scalderville !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

I'm almost certain that someone told me that Dunnes do not own the old premises but rather had a lease.... Therefore the ridiculous situation may not have anything to do with them.

hamsterboy wrote: »
    I'm almost certain that someone told me that Dunnes do not own the old premises but rather had a lease.... Therefore the ridiculous situation may not have anything to do with them.

There's a lot of rumours surrounding the whole thing but owning the lease is effectively the same as owning it,if a chain store was to move in it would take the bare look off the place for sure.Not too sure what the traders meeting can do apart from what JD suggests and ask for a boycott,the irony wouldn't be lost on people I'm sure.

• Advertisement

barney 20v wrote: »
    I know loads of people who work in that store, not all from the town but most from the surrounding areas.
    I for one would not lose sleep over traders going bust in enniscorthy . They created the mess they are in.
    IMO they had it too good for too long.
    Value and choice are alien words to many traders in town... Like I have said before, only bookies and pubs have a future in scalderville !

The traders you want to go bust wouldn't really care,they have made their money & held the town to ransom for years with their myopic view of the outside world.It's like a bizzare version of The Field.

It's the ones who tried something new that I feel sorry for,ploughing time & money into ultimately doomed ventures.

Regarding Dunnes old building,AFAIK it's owners are Bolgers & Dunnes took out a 99 year lease-I'm open to correction but this was the info I was given.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Anyone at the parade in town yesterday? The other half said it was the shortest parade she'd seen in town in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Ian7

barney 20v wrote: »
    I for one would not lose sleep over traders going bust in enniscorthy !

I for one would rather see the town doing well.....

jpb1974 wrote: »
    Anyone at the parade in town yesterday? The other half said it was the shortest parade she'd seen in town in a long time.

I don't know about you guys but I find the whole half-arsed oirish thing isn't very charming anymore. Hat's off to Bui Bolg and also the FDYS though, oh and also the local sports clubs etc always bring a bit of colour but come on, Molloy's scrap collecting lorries? Buses? Advert laden cars?

Was on rafter street late that afternoon, the bloody state of the place? But sure at least the chippers did well. They don't have to worry about empty chip bags and drink cups. Anyone pass down the quay that afternoon by the way?

jpb1974 wrote: »

Didn't make it but saw the pictures then heard the stories of the Gardai being kept busy outside a certain pub on the quay as travellers fought,fell under cars & drink drove.....ah sure it wouldn't be Paddy's Day without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

Ian7 wrote: »
    I don't know about you guys but I find the whole half-arsed oirish thing isn't very charming anymore. Hat's off to Bui Bolg and also the FDYS though, oh and also the local sports clubs etc always bring a bit of colour but come on, Molloy's scrap collecting lorries? Buses? Advert laden cars?

Was on rafter street late that afternoon, the bloody state of the place? But sure at least the chippers did well. They don't have to worry about empty chip bags and drink cups. Anyone pass down the quay that afternoon by the way?
    I counted at lease 15 Molloys lorries. There should be a quota, one lorry/van per company and they should have to make a bit of an effort. It's getting ridiculous at this stage.

Here, bordering off-topic now but.....

I'm going to put this out there, now please don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to stir any pot but I think we as a town and the country to a larger extent all need to stand up and have a civilised and adult debate on a very large problem, if not a problem in the waiting. Something which cllr. Kavanagh, just ONE man has been brave enough to speak about but whether he is right or wrong in what he says is largely up for discussion. What we, and our local government need to begin addressing is that there is a problem. I'm not saying the blame lies with one side or the other. Settled people in enniscorthy have many stories about what they think travellers get up to and traveller people have encountered much unwarranted abuse and discrimination on their side. The fact of the matter is that we can't keep going on like this. There is a huge rift between two very Irish communities. I've always maintained that the traveller culture could have been a huge asset to this land but generations of the government turning a blind eye has created what can only be called a mess. We share the one island, we should be able to share it peacefully and respectfully. I can't stand the fear and suspicion anymore.

Was listening to a debate on a study done on Rathkeale & the division in the community there is a huge problem,on the surface people said there was no problem but when the author of the report scratched the surface he uncovered the truth.Travellers don't want to mix with the settled community & the settled community don't want travellers around.

Enniscorthy is slowly turning out the same way as (especially on the East of the town) a lot of property is being bought up by travellers.

For as long as I remember there's been travellers living in Enniscorthy and maybe I'm looking back through rose tinted glasses but we never seemed to have the problems we are having now.Even the older generation of travellers look at the younger crowd in bewilderment.

The scenes reported to me on the quay are just so stereotypical of their carry-on & disregard to the norms expected in society.

It is a problem that many choose to ignore as it's such a touchy subject but a very relevant one in this town.

I counted at lease 15 Molloys lorries. There should be a quota, one lorry/van per company and they should have to make a bit of an effort. It's getting ridiculous at this stage.

A traffic jam interspersed with people walking is not a parade.:(

• Advertisement

A bit of an effort in making something festive would be nice but at least they're there every year when many don't even bother to stick a truck in.

Advertisement