Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭barney 20v

Ian7 wrote: »
    I for one would rather see the town doing well.....
    You seem to think that the traders in question ARE the town???
    It does not say much for enniscorthy so!

If these people are doing nothing illegal by protecting their busness then what is the problem??

All this talk of the failed business in town is one sided.... you can not blame existing traders if other traders start up and fail to survive.
    The issue of rates etc is relevant but not abnormal.

With regards to jackser et all.... the town has the local reps it deserves in my opinion, short sighted and reactionary .

People need to accept that wexford has better choice, more stores, a better shopping expierience and more parking.
    I regularly drive to wexford to avoid having to shop in enniscorthy.
    And i witnessed first hand the "ethnic" show outside keoghs on the quay.... i'll say no more than this, once i had managed to get past them i took my partner and kids to wexford for the afternoon to shop in peace and left enniscorthy to be what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

So, it seems the parade was a bit of flop then :(

Fair play to those who did make it out. The young lad was marching with the Shamrocks, but the head count was so low they had to amalgamate with the Rovers to make up decent numbers. He was delighted heading to the kids disco in Treacy's Hotel afterwards for a few hours, so at least he was happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I hate St.Patrick's Day parades and have always gone out of my way to avoid them but when the kids came along I got dragged to them. However, for the last couple of years I've been allowed to remain at home as I'm so grouchy. :D

That said, great day and all as it is for the 'Oirish', it's an American holiday really and doing decent parades is not an Irish thing. Outside of the Galway one, or the revamped Dublin effort, they are generally embarrassingly bad and consist of long lines of commercial vehicles and kids trailing along in their sports gear. Instead of having a mickey mouse parade every year why not do a real good one every two or three years? Anyway, since I'm highly unlikely to participate I'll say no more. I thought the level of nocturnal zombie activity was down a bit this year but that's probably due to the closure of the "Castle" niteclub.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Ian7

barney 20v wrote: »
    You seem to think that the traders in question ARE the town???
    It does not say much for enniscorthy so!

You misinterpreted what I meant. In the last post you were supporting dunnes stores which is your own business, but to say you don't mind other traders going bust? That is what I am talking about. I am for the town....., NOT dunnes stores or the rent controllers. I would rather see a town thriving with small locally owned shops than a large franchise cutting off the oxygen to the town.

If these people are doing nothing illegal by protecting their busness then what is the problem??

All this talk of the failed business in town is one sided.... you can not blame existing traders if other traders start up and fail to survive.
    The issue of rates etc is relevant but not abnormal.

Just because it's not illegal doesn't make it right. especially when some existing traders OWN other premises in town and are thus able to control competition with higher rent. High rates/high rent = struggling competition, struggling competition = sad times.

Ian7 wrote: »
    You misinterpreted what I meant. In the last post you were supporting dunnes stores which is your own business, but to say you don't mind other traders going bust? That is what I am talking about. I am for the town....., NOT dunnes stores or the rent controllers. I would rather see a town thriving with small locally owned shops than a large franchise cutting off the oxygen to the town.

Just because it's not illegal doesn't make it right. especially when some existing traders OWN other premises in town and are thus able to control competition with higher rent. High rates/high rent = struggling competition, struggling competition = sad times.

That is the reality of business all over the western world! why do people not realise this???
    shock horror .... business people trying to protect their assets !

Also Ian, i never stated i supported Dunnes.
    I said i did not agree with a boycott/ picket of the store as it would further endanger local jobs.Please do not try to imply i said anything else.
    Nothing wrong with owning other property.... its up to them to do as they please with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

That is the reality of business all over the western world! why do people not realise this???

Also Ian, i never stated i supported Dunnes.
    I said i did not agree with a boycott/ picket of the store as it would further endanger local jobs.Please do not try to imply i said anything else.
    Nothing wrong with owning other property.... its up to them to do as they please with it.

The purpose of a boycott would be to secure more local jobs I would have thought.Dunnes have every right to be ruthless as have the local community.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The problem with Enniscorthy is that a few own a lot & as a result stifle growth.They are too small minded to realise that a lot of retail premises being open will actually benefit them.They are so used to having things their own way that they are afraid of anything new that might challenge them.

By stifling new business they are simply harming the town & driving shoppers away,as a result,their own shops are quiet.They just don't see the big picture.Do they all still go for coffee together at lunch time & talk about how great they are?

All well & good protecting their assetts but in a cruel twist they are actually doing the opposite.It smacks a bit of the Emperors New Clothes really.
    "Look at all my property in this town,isn't it wonderful"?........"But it's all empty".............."So what? It's all mine & I don't care as it looks wonderful in my portfolio".

I see some of the paving slabs on Rafter St. have been replaced by tarmac,hopefully it's not permanent

I know what is happening sickens many people but it is a fact of business for generations folks!
    I have read countless times on here that the business owners in question have their money made and do not care about the town etc etc... Which is it??? are they ALL made men who simply are out to punish young people with punitive rents or are they out of touch with the emotional side of this argument??

Because emotion does not come into it, quotes like this.. "Do they all still go for coffee together at lunch time & talk about how great they are? " do not encourage me to side with the "anti establishment" side of the argument....

May i remind you that the traders in question do not exist to protect the town, they exist to make a profit.
    The approache they take is perfectly legitimate in my eyes, if they are comfortable and own many properties in town they might not need to drive on business as before.
    Like i said before, any new start business person who opened and failed in enniscorthy should have known in detail the lay of the land in town before they wasted money .
    No sympathy from me if they did not do their homework first!

I know what is happening sickens many people but it is a fact of business for generations folks!
    I have read countless times on here that the business owners in question have their money made and do not care about the town etc etc... Which is it??? are they ALL made men who simply are out to punish young people with punitive rents or are they out of touch with the emotional side of this argument??

Because emotion does not come into it, quotes like this.. "Do they all still go for coffee together at lunch time & talk about how great they are? " do not encourage me to side with the "anti establishment" side of the argument....

May i remind you that the traders in question do not exist to protect the town, they exist to make a profit.
    The approache they take is perfectly legitimate in my eyes, if they are comfortable and own many properties in town they might not need to drive on business as before.
    Like i said before, any new start business person who opened and failed in enniscorthy should have known in detail the lay of the land in town before they wasted money .
    No sympathy from me if they did not do their homework first!

So to sum it up in a TLDR version:

Fair play to the establishment,they made their money in the good times & don't care anymore if the town falls into the Slaney.
    Fuck anyone trying to make a go of a new venture,the town is in a heap because of the action (or inaction) of a few but sure it's the new guy's fault-he should have known better.

Great attitude you have there Barney.Applaud the men who ran the town into the ground.

And what I said about them having their coffee together & backslapping each other is true

We can debate this subject till the cows come home but I guarantee you that the situation will be at best the same in 2 years & at worst there'll be nothing but tumbleweed on the streets.

• Advertisement

Hallelujah - the 'protestant' zebra crossing on Parnell Road has been repainted. I'd like to think it was because of my complaining but I rather doubt it. :D

Somebody has been busy painting roadmarkings around the town,the one way system to Irish St. has been reversed,the look on a womans face as I drove up it earlier was priceless.I wasn't happy about having to sit in traffic for 15 minutes as I did a lap of the town just to get to Dunnes.Stupid idea seeing as I was the only one who seemed to use the street so far today.All people driving down Cathedral St see are 2 NO ENTRY signs and just assume it's closed.The arrows approaching from Irish St. & Barrack St. haven't been changed which adds to the confusion.

Another job well done:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

Seeing as floods looks like it will never be done they should just widen that street and make it 2 way.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Hallelujah - the 'protestant' zebra crossing on Parnell Road has been repainted. I'd like to think it was because of my complaining but I rather doubt it. :D

JD. It still wont stop the bus drivers and parents from creating a death trap at the crossing. The Traffic warden over the last few weeks stopped the parents from parking outside st Aidan's school only for these lazy people to park on the double yellow lines up the 1 way street at st Aidan's villas. these people are now blocking residents gateways.

Flood warning for the town today,had a look myself earlier and the water is rising fast.A couple of folk have left their cars on the prom-hope they don't plan on leaving them there all day or they could be in for a surprise by tea time.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭efc67

zerks wrote: »
    Flood warning for the town today,had a look myself earlier and the water is rising fast.A couple of folk have left their cars on the prom-hope they don't plan on leaving them there all day or they could be in for a surprise by tea time.

Just been past it myself......Very high at the moment.....more worrying is High Tide is at 14.30 today.................Make no mistake it will flood today

efc67 wrote: »
    Just been past it myself......Very high at the moment.....more worrying is High Tide is at 14.30 today.................Make no mistake it will flood today

I don't think high tide has much effect when the river is flooded,it just spreads out on the flood plains.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭efc67

kneemos wrote: »
    I don't think high tide has much effect when the river is flooded,it just spreads out on the flood plains.

One of the main reasons why Enniscorthy floods is the lack of flood plains in the area...........and the ones that are there are not wide enough and usually end in steep hills, thus pushing the water back into the river..........The Slaney is quite unique as most Irish Rivers have many flood plains

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Ian7

Passed through Borodale on the way to work this morning, water is pouring down off the bank on the left and the road has opened up there! Watch yourselves if travelling that way and watch for other cars swerving on the bend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

South East Radio just posted this on facebook.

If you own or know someone who owns a silver Audi TT reg 00 or 01 it's starting to flood where it's parked in Enniscorthy. Water 3/4 up the wheels.

Hope the owner moves it soon!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Radio one news just now says gardai have warned the Slaney is about to burst it banks in the next hour so avoid the town.

Edit - though judging by that picture it looks like it has already !
    Audi TT being consumed !

Any more pics going?

Another shortlived venture has bitten the dust.

Floody+Place+007.JPG

It's okay its been rescued! :D

Floody+Place+001.JPG

Brilliant.

Great community spirit or did the owner get it sorted?

Don't know, but there's another car in danger just where the bottle bank used to be by the Supervalu carpark - doesn't look as valuable though. :D

Don't know, but there's another car in danger just where the bottle bank used to be by the Supervalu carpark - doesn't look as valuable though. :D

Maybe the dude with the truck will get it out while they are there?

My father is down in Enniscorthy putting down sandbags. He was out til 1am last night because trees had fallen and they were removing them off the road. Hope the worst is over now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭jordata

Just heard our town clerk, the oracle that is David Minogue, on south east radio 4pm news telling us the quays are closed but all traffic is flowing freely, with traffic from Dublin and from Wexford both being diverted through the Duffry!!

Same guy told us at 3pm that there was slight flooding on the prom but nowhere else affected.

I think Mr Minogue ought to get off his soft chair and take a stroll around the town.

Advertisement