Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Ian7

jordata wrote: »
    Just heard our town clerk, the oracle that is David Minogue, on south east radio 4pm news telling us the quays are closed but all traffic is flowing freely, with traffic from Dublin and from Wexford both being diverted through the Duffry!!

Same guy told us at 3pm that there was slight flooding on the prom but nowhere else affected.

I think Mr Minogue ought to get off his soft chair and take a stroll around the town.

They're probably vox pops done a half hour or hour prior to the news. Don't worry yourself about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

He sounded quite foolish on the 4pm news , because Gardai had advised 2 hours earlier that the river in Enniscorthy was about to burst its banks .

I'd blame south east radio for that. Much ado about nothing if you ask me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

river+001.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Have they invested in flood barriers along the quay or are they still depending on sand bags?

• Advertisement

Sandbags.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Maybe this is old news but anyway -

I was on the Parisian Boulevard that is Rafter Street today and couldn't help but laugh at the signs warning pedestrians that traffic was now permitted on the street.

My young lad ran down the street, initially unaware that a car was approaching. He was quick to shift out of the way.

So what was a foot path is now a road. Honestly.. can it get any more retarded? I just nodded my head and laughed and got the fÚck outta there ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Abrakebabra to re-open,there's a notice in the window & they are looking for staff.

There's a notice for planning in the window of the former Polish shop in the Square also,are we seeing some shoots of optimism in the Market Square?

zerks wrote: »
    Abrakebabra to re-open,there's a notice in the window & they are looking for staff.

There's a notice for planning in the window of the former Polish shop in the Square also,are we seeing some shoots of optimism in the Market Square?

Why did abra's close originally?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

I heard that the guy who ran it, and the one in Wexford, ran in to financial difficulty. Both stores closed. The one in Wexford had a new owner within a couple of weeks, the one in Enniscorthy took a while longer but glad to see its re-opening. I only really like the Taco Fries from there and when you can't get it you want it more. Other chippers taco fries fair miserably against Abra.

• Advertisement

Cool. What does the notice say? Might take a stroll by later on.

Ian7 wrote: »
    Cool. What does the notice say? Might take a stroll by later on.

Notice for planning is from JEM Developments to basically redevelop the entire building & extend the back of it.

This might make interesting reading for greedy landlords who own half the retail premises in town.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=83826128&postcount=3

I hear from a reliable source that the old Permanent/TSB building is shortly to be open as an SVP charity shop - badly needed. :rolleyes:

Incidentally, what on earth is going on with the signwriting at "The Pub" Robbies in the Market Square. Apart from the awful attempt at signwriting - the Toucans are nice - buy why not just call the place "Robbie's" or "Robbie's Pub" but "The Pub" Robbies..........................

I hear from a reliable source that the old Permanent/TSB building is shortly to be open as an SVP charity shop - badly needed. :rolleyes:

Incidentally, what on earth is going on with the signwriting at "The Pub" Robbies in the Market Square. Apart from the awful attempt at signwriting - the Toucans are nice - buy why not just call the place "Robbie's" or "Robbie's Pub" but "The Pub" Robbies..........................

Another charity shop,FFS!!

I noticed the sign over the pub & my only conclusion is that the signwriter has dyslexia.

Another charity shop,FFS!!

I noticed the sign over the pub & my only conclusion is that the signwriter has dyslexia.

Im all for charity but a svp drop in centre smack bang in the middle of town doesn't seem like a fantastic idea to me.

Also, yeah that sign. I reckon robbie is fuming over that sign. Its horrible, he needs to re-do the whole thing

Im all for charity but a svp drop in centre smack bang in the middle of town doesn't seem like a fantastic idea to me.

Also, yeah that sign. I reckon robbie is fuming over that sign. Its horrible, he needs to re-do the whole thing

He's called it The Pub as in are you going to The Pub?

kneemos wrote: »

He's called it The Pub as in are you going to The Pub?

Are you going to the 'The Pub Robbies'?

Also, I was referring to the signwriting quality or lack of. Not the actual name.

Are you going to the 'The Pub Robbies'?

Also, I was referring to the signwriting quality or lack of. Not the actual name.

You would have to be exceptionally pedantic to say are you going to The Pub Robbies,Rather than poor quality I'd guess it's the style he was going for,it takes a good artist to make his work look amateurish.

kneemos wrote: »

You would have to be exceptionally pedantic to say are you going to The Pub Robbies,Rather than poor quality I'd guess it's the style he was going for,it takes a good artist to make his work look amateurish.

Or, it takes a ****e signwriter to make a sign look ****e. I really dont think we're being pedantic here. It's just bad word positioning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 trevr

Reliable source ? That was reported in the local papers a few week ago. As for Robbies sign, doesn't look good at the minute but maybe we should wait til its finished before passing judgement. I heard from a 'reliable source' that the guy who is doing it is very good....we'll wait and see. Showery weather is the reason for it not being completed yet apparently....

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

I drove past The Pub today and all i can say is that the top part of the T in The is as crooked as a dogs leg with rickets.

Navarre wrote: »
    I drove past The Pub today and all i can say is that the top part of the T in The is as crooked as a dogs leg with rickets.

Surprised it's not open during the day.

trevr wrote: »
    Reliable source ? That was reported in the local papers a few week ago. As for Robbies sign, doesn't look good at the minute but maybe we should wait til its finished before passing judgement. I heard from a 'reliable source' that the guy who is doing it is very good....we'll wait and see. Showery weather is the reason for it not being completed yet apparently....

Well bully for you...I don't always read the local rags and when I do it's speed reading. Why didn't you mention it here instead of point scoring? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

it takes a good artist to make his work look amateurish.

eh?

so what does an amateur's work look like?

jpb1974 wrote: »
    eh?

so what does an amateur's work look like?

If the guy can draw a Toucan it seems odd he would fall down on the letter T.

Passed by this morning. I won't comment any further on that sign until it's "completed".

I did however get a good look at the planning notice on the former polish shop. I may be wrong but it seems as though development is moving away from the previous "arcade" type development in which shoppers could have easy access to the bailey and the work seems to be confined to that building. But perhaps they intend to phase the work??

Anyone know who JEM construction are? I thought Dan Morrisey owned that building but maybe JEM is another venture of his??

Also, for anyone that may be remotely interested, the architect is Mahon Fox.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭paulaa

Anyone know who JEM construction are? I thought Dan Morrisey owned that building but maybe JEM is another venture of his??

Also, for anyone that may be remotely interested, the architect is Mahon Fox.

https://www.duedil.com/company/IE298777/jem-construction-limited

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭efc67

trevr wrote: »

I heard the guy who done was a good mate of Robbies and done it as a favour :o, i dont expect it to be up to long

• Advertisement

I've brought up this topic before but as I took a spin out past Monart Spa,the state of the road is shocking.We have a world famous facility but you'll wreck your car getting to it.

A bit of rain & cold has left the road like it's been bombed-no doubt the usual delay set tar will be thrown at it & it'll be as bad as ever within a day or so.

The Council invested in brand new pothole patching units but I've only ever seen one used on that road once.

Advertisement