Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

zerks wrote: »
    I've brought up this topic before but as I took a spin out past Monart Spa,the state of the road is shocking.We have a world famous facility but you'll wreck your car getting to it.

A bit of rain & cold has left the road like it's been bombed-no doubt the usual delay set tar will be thrown at it & it'll be as bad as ever within a day or so.

The Council invested in brand new pothole patching units but I've only ever seen one used on that road once.

They could put up a few signposts for their world class facility,I've given directions to people as far away as Scarwalsh who have come off the main road looking for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

kneemos wrote: »
    They could put up a few signposts for their world class facility,I've given directions to people as far away as Scarwalsh who have come off the main road looking for it.

The signage is pretty poor alright,even those coming from the N30 get to the Still & then take their chances to turn right or go straight ahead.

The signage is pretty poor alright,even those coming from the N30 get to the Still & then take their chances to turn right or go straight ahead.

Doyles silage pit must be a cultural experience for those that wonder out.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Padjo1981

Anyone know if there's a rule against leaving rubbish bins out on the street all the time? People living few doors up the street have their bin out constantly and have rubbish stacked beside it. It looks bad and when I said it to them I got abuse for my trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Ian7

I agree that such a facility should be nurtured by the town council and roads / signs need to be improved.
    Doyles silage pit must be a cultural experience for those that wonder out.

I kind of think it adds to the charm of the area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭paulaa

Another load of bad publicity for the town. This happened in Cherryorchard. Horses left to starve in a busy built up area. This poor horse had to be put down and the owners drove away when the guards arrived. Some of the comments beneath the photo are worth reading. Apologies if this is upsetting to some

425873_371405416307161_68407615_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/southeastanimalrescue

Padjo1981 wrote: »
    Anyone know if there's a rule against leaving rubbish bins out on the street all the time? People living few doors up the street have their bin out constantly and have rubbish stacked beside it. It looks bad and when I said it to them I got abuse for my trouble.

Contact the Council & the community warden.Something similar happened before up my way & the warden was called.Next day all the rubbish was gone.They also had to give proof that the rubbish was disposed of properly and not just threw into a ditch somewhere.

Bets are that these people didn't pay for their bins to be collected and just left them sitting there,scummy thing to do.

@ paulaa, no doubt we'll here the usual "ah sure it's a traveller's right to have horses" & the same old story when something happens of "them horses ain't mine boss",look what happens regularly when horses get trapped on the island,the dogs in the street know who owns them but as usual the owners aren't held to account.

Between this & the fighting on Paddy's Day,these misunderstood folk:rolleyes: really are doing their best to live up to stereotypical expectations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭paulaa

I'm all for giving people a chance Zerks but these people should not be allowed anywhere near animals for a start. I can't understand how they have not been banned from keeping animals and it's the same people everytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Padjo1981

Contact the Council & the community warden.Something similar happened before up my way & the warden was called.Next day all the rubbish was gone.They also had to give proof that the rubbish was disposed of properly and not just threw into a ditch somewhere.

Bets are that these people didn't pay for their bins to be collected and just left them sitting there,scummy thing to do.

Thanks, ill give the council a go on Tuesday so. It's annoying the heart out of me. The same people have a dog that attacks every 2nd person that walks by. Iv had enough of them now. Iv asked nicely so it's time to take action.

• Advertisement

absolute a**holes whoever left the horse like that. poor animal probably suffered at that gate for a while. not saying this crime is less severe or anything but I must stress that there are many, many pet and animal owners that are as negligent as this.

can anyone explain why these people own horses by the way?

Ian7 wrote: »
    absolute a**holes whoever left the horse like that. poor animal probably suffered at that gate for a while. not saying this crime is less severe or anything but I must stress that there are many, many pet and animal owners that are as negligent as this.

can anyone explain why these people own horses by the way?

Always thought they went for pet food,but hey who knows.

I see in the local paper that thd Council have an incredible €738'000 arrears in rates for the last year,they either need to improve their collection methods or there's a lot of businesses in trouble.It was €176'000 in 2008 by comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

There are a lot of businesses in trouble and an ever diminishing number of them to finance the Council's crazy spending.

There are a lot of businesses in trouble and an ever diminishing number of them to finance the Council's crazy spending.

If arrears are pursued,I can see businesses closing their doors before paying up as they are barely surviving as it is.
    I'm not saying rates aren't essential but there simply isn't the cashflow in retail in the town for shopkeepers to have money to pay,they prioritise & keeping the lights on & stock on the shelves is more important.

Heatons to take over the old Dunnes,Market Square and the derilict Murphy Floods to be redeveloped plus Tesco have gotten planning on appeal and the new shopping centre to be built at the Abbey Square............well it is April Fools Day.

THE PUB seems to have come out "reasonably"well it just needed some shadowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭efc67

THE PUB seems to have come out "reasonably"well it just needed some shadowing.

Anyone been in it yet, went for a quick one in there on Thursday and they have done a right job of it inside

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭karl tyrrell

Went down to the town to buy something from the computer shop in the old dunnes car park closed down all the shops were closed on the bank holiday monday sad town it would be one of the best days of the year for shops to make a few bob only pubs bookies and chippers open 95% of the people are off and its a boring day and like to go out and shop or do something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Went down to the town to buy something from the computer shop in the old dunnes car park closed down all the shops were closed on the bank holiday monday sad town it would be one of the best days of the year for shops to make a few bob only pubs bookies and chippers open 95% of the people are off and its a boring day and like to go out and shop or do something.

Personally I doubt it. I wouldn't have expected many shops to be open today and its too cold for walking around. The town is fairly void of shoppers at the best of times, not sure how Easter Monday would have people up off their behinds spending money tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭karl tyrrell

jpb1974 wrote: »
    Personally I doubt it. I wouldn't have expected many shops to be open today and its too cold for walking around. The town is fairly void of shoppers at the best of times, not sure how Easter Monday would have people up off their behinds spending money tbh.

just having a moan because i froze my --s off today

just having a moan because i froze my --s off today

And went to the most expensive computer shop in the country.

JPB is right,Enniscorthy is a ghost town at the best of times,the only places doing a trade today are the likes of Doyles & Donohoes along with the bookies.

I've brought up this topic before but as I took a spin out past Monart Spa,the state of the road is shocking.We have a world famous facility but you'll wreck your car getting to it.

A bit of rain & cold has left the road like it's been bombed-no doubt the usual delay set tar will be thrown at it & it'll be as bad as ever within a day or so.

The Council invested in brand new pothole patching units but I've only ever seen one used on that road once.

Well somebody read my post but the effort of filling the holes is lamentable,a group of 3 year olds with Play Doh would have done a better job.

The famous delay set made it's appearance as predicted,why spend thousands on new patching units and not use them?

I know the councils around Ireland are short on money but at least do the job properly and save money by not having to go back a week later to fill the same holes again.

New Furniture store open at the top of Weafer St. at the corner of Ross Road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I'm no engineer but I think that they are making a pig's ear out of Church Street. Instead of a new pavement and a conventional road they've opted for some over designed nonsense that is going to cause flooding to business premises - just my opinion. Also the cost of what they are doing must be astronomical. Pictures with next post.

JD, on Church Street, there are many reasons why church street is being done the way it is. Most of it is down to the provision of accessibility for all and solve the problem of narrow pathways and on street parking etc. It also allows for wheelchair access from lower church street to rafter street and market square. As far as I know, there wasn't many options open to the council and this was the best of the options.
    As for flooding, i can't see that being a problem unless the rainwater drains are undersized and not maintained.

However, the cost of the use of the granite paving slabs etc is questionable

Ian7 wrote: »
    JD, on Church Street, there are many reasons why church street is being done the way it is. Most of it is down to the provision of accessibility for all and solve the problem of narrow pathways and on street parking etc. It also allows for wheelchair access from lower church street to rafter street and market square. As far as I know, there wasn't many options open to the council and this was the best of the options.
    As for flooding, i can't see that being a problem unless the rainwater drains are undersized and not maintained.

However, the cost of the use of the granite paving slabs etc is questionable

Why didn't they simply resurface the road with ashphalt? In truth nobody will really care about the granite surface except the councillors who'll get their photo opportunity when it's officially unveiled.
    They'd be better served saving the money and redeveloping the Market Square.

On the subject of resurfacing,I noticed that the road at Bellfield has been repaired where it subsided,a stellar job has been done:rolleyes: :pac: The new patches have sunk already and I'll give it 'til the end of the month before it's in bits again.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Why didn't they simply resurface the road with ashphalt? In truth nobody will really care about the granite surface except the councillors who'll get their photo opportunity when it's officially unveiled.
    They'd be better served saving the money and redeveloping the Market Square.

On the subject of resurfacing,I noticed that the road at Bellfield has been repaired where it subsided,a stellar job has been done:rolleyes: :pac: The new patches have sunk already and I'll give it 'til the end of the month before it's in bits again.

Id say its all down to the cut backs the council workers are using smaller shovels and less tarmac = sunken patched up potholes. Maybe next week a UK contractor will be hired to re dig the whole road and relay a tarmac surface like what happened with Munster hill 5 months after the big freeze of xmas 2010.

You might question the merits of spending so much on what is a little used side street but apart from that I kinda like it plus it's a long term investment that will last for decades (presumably)as long as they don't do what they did in Rafter St. and replace paving with tarmac if they come lose.

• Advertisement

)as long as they don't do what they did in Rafter St. and replace paving with tarmac if they come lose.

Please say this isn't true:(

Advertisement