Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

zerks wrote: »
    Please say this isn't true:(

Four paving slabs were replaced with tarmac around the"pedestrian crossing"several weeks ago I thought it might have been a temporary measure when they were waiting for the contractor to come back to fix them but it doesn't look good.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭'scorthy

to a meeting in The Riverside Park Hotel, Enniscorthy on
    Monday 15th April 2013 at 6pm - 7pm

I presume this would include businesses that are not affiliated to the local Chamber? Including businesses that cater for visitors, carting, horse-riding/equestrian, fishing, golfing, tourist attractions - gardens, B&B etc..
    link

'scorthy wrote: »
    to a meeting in The Riverside Park Hotel, Enniscorthy on
    Monday 15th April 2013 at 6pm - 7pm

I presume this would include businesses that are not affiliated to the local Chamber? Including businesses that cater for visitors, carting, horse-riding/equestrian, fishing, golfing, tourist attractions - gardens, B&B etc..
    link

How much of the 21k do RIKON get or are they paid seperately?and why not leave it open to all and sundry to attend?

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭'scorthy

"How much of the 21k do RIKON get or are they paid seperately?and why not leave it open to all and sundry to attend?" That's a questions you could ask at the meeting ;).

...but I do agree that it should have been a 'general invitation' to interested parties. We are all stakeholders in the development and success of the Towns' tourism, it's businesses and their potential for job creation as it affects us and our families.

'scorthy wrote: »
    "How much of the 21k do RIKON get or are they paid seperately?and why not leave it open to all and sundry to attend?" That's a questions you could ask at the meeting ;).

...but I do agree that it should have been a 'general invitation' to interested parties. We are all stakeholders in the development and success of the Towns' tourism, it's businesses and their potential for job creation as it affects us and our families.

It'll be interesting to see if they come up with a one off event or develope a long term strategy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

kneemos wrote: »
    It'll be interesting to see if they come up with a one off event or develope a long term strategy.

Hope it doesn't involve a drive through the countryside,if the potholes don't wreck your car the sight of illegal dumping will certainly put people off.
    The road through Solsboro was cleared of rubbish a while back but as I drove in along there today there was clothes and other crap strewn all over the road & more bags of rubbish dumped along the roadside further on.These bastards seem to think the roads near the town are the ideal place to throw their shite.The road from the Still to Marshalstown/Ballyorill has the same problem,I reckon it's the same culprits who do it without fear of ever being caught.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Remember a few weeks back there were a couple of fast food places from town in trouble for health & safety reasons? Dario's was named here right? Just wondering who was the other? Ta

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

jpb1974 wrote: »
    Remember a few weeks back there were a couple of fast food places from town in trouble for health & safety reasons? Dario's was named here right? Just wondering who was the other? Ta

Cheers peeps

Cheers peeps

I know nothiinng.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

Denis's'ssss. They were named in the paper so I think its ok to name them.

By the way fantastic job on the photos at the charity match the other day. Very professional looking and some great shots of the action.

• Advertisement

TheChevron wrote: »
    Denis's'ssss. They were named in the paper so I think its ok to name them.

Was told that the supplier gave them battered sausages that were mouldy inside,I still love a Denis's Kebab now & again,even a Michelin Star restuarant gave it's customers food poisoning recently.

Little Treasures had been ordered to close it's kitchen by the FSA last month.

http://www.fsai.ie/uploadedFiles/Monitoring_and_Enforcement/Enforcement/Enforcement-Orders-Closure.pdf

Rafter St. and the new Health Centre have made the front pages of the local papers.

Rafter St. takes 'pride' (lol) of place on the Guardian due to the state of the surface,a bugbear with every poster here.

The Health Centre has been vandalised,not surprised as antisocial behaviour in that part of town had been reported on SE Radio with underage drinking in the 1798 Centre grounds also,that's a quiet part of town with mostly older residents so these vandals mustn't be from the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

Was told that the supplier gave them battered sausages that were mouldy inside,I still love a Denis's Kebab now & again,even a Michelin Star restuarant gave it's customers food poisoning recently.

Little Treasures had been ordered to close it's kitchen by the FSA last month.

http://www.fsai.ie/uploadedFiles/Monitoring_and_Enforcement/Enforcement/Enforcement-Orders-Closure.pdf

Denis's Kebabs are something else alright. I think I would personally have to be struck down from the place for it to put me off one.

That fucking change in the one way system from Irish Street is a nightmare,coming from the top of the town,I had the choice of driving through Bellfield/Moran Park,down Summerhill & back up Irish St. or negotiate the gridlock through the town all the way to Abbey Square,along the Quay & back up Barrack St.

All I wanted to do was pick up something down that way & had to endure the traffic while witnessing people ignoring the signs & roadmarkings as they drove the wrong way down the street,I was sorely tempted to follow them.
    Whoever thought it'd make people stop & shop in the town centre is mistaken,it just adds to the frustration of sitting in traffic.:mad:

That fucking change in the one way system from Irish Street is a nightmare,coming from the top of the town,I had the choice of driving through Bellfield/Moran Park,down Summerhill & back up Irish St. or negotiate the gridlock through the town all the way to Abbey Square,along the Quay & back up Barrack St.

All I wanted to do was pick up something down that way & had to endure the traffic while witnessing people ignoring the signs & roadmarkings as they drove the wrong way down the street,I was sorely tempted to follow them.
    Whoever thought it'd make people stop & shop in the town centre is mistaken,it just adds to the frustration of sitting in traffic.:mad:

You can use The Square and Weafer St. on your way back,it's kinda swings and roundabouts.

You can use The Square and Weafer St. on your way back,it's kinda swings and roundabouts.

Main shopping areas are Lidl/Aldi then Dunnes with Pettits coming in 3rd.In order to get to Dunnes from the top of the town,you have to almost do a lap of the place.
    This was a misguided idea by somebody on the Town Council to attract shoppers to the centre of the town,all it does is inconvenience them,by the time you're done crawling through the streets which seem to be full of cars but no actual shoppers you are in no mood to do anything except get your stuff as quickly as possible and get out of the place.

As regards using the Square & Weafer St. I'd prefer to slip down Irish St & up Summerhill than endure driving back up through the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Ian7

sorry for drifting off topic (well, I suppose it's all relative) but I am returning to the topic of Travellers in Enniscorthy...

I can't help but worry about the mindset of the town as a whole. We know there has been an influx of Travellers to Enniscorthy over the last decade or so which is fair enough, they have to go somewhere after-all, but what is happening is, Travellers move in to an area and "settled" people move out. It was confined to the Shannon area but it's now happening in Cherryorchard and the Milehouse road. People move out due to fear. This can't be normal, and it can't be healthy. There's a sense of fear and suspicion around the town which is being allowed to fester. I have no idea where people move to but my first inkling is that they are moving away from the town altogether which is highly damaging both externally and internally. To my mind, the lack of action and planning regarding this this issue is terribly unfortunate and a crime which local councils are ultimately guilty of. Popular media I suppose doesn't help to subdue people's fear and what springs to mind is the situation in Rathkeale, in Limerick.

If there are any Councillors or council workers reading this site, please, please don't ignore this issue any longer. We have a chance to be proactive, to allow smoother integration, to absorb and utilise these people as a valuable assets of our community. At least have the balls to start a local debate on the subject and don't be afraid to speak up.

This is not racism, it's a common problem all over the island and all around the world, where minority groups become isolated within a community which subsequently suffers economically, physically, socially and mentally as a result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Not for the first time in recent months there was a scene from "The Walking Dead" on Castle Street late last night.

Not for the first time in recent months there was a scene from "The Walking Dead" on Castle Street late last night.

on a wednesday night? pray tell

Ian7 wrote: »
    on a wednesday night? pray tell

Don't know why but there seems to be more activity in recent months and I suspect it's coming from a certain nearby pub. Gardai called but zombies had melted away at that stage.

• Advertisement

ha, very strange. someones doing good trade so.

I see the deteriorating state of Rafter St. has made the front page of The Guardian missing tiles(imported from China)filled with tarmac and trip hazards elsewhere has caught the ire of locals,didn't mention the filthy bang off it.

Lower Church Street this evening. Tell me this isn't what it appears to be!

JOHN+BROWN+018.JPG

Lower Church Street this evening. Tell me this isn't what it appears to be!

JOHN+BROWN+018.JPG

Because he's worth it.It was rough looking to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭paulaa

Did anyone listen to SE Radio this morning about Enniscorthy. Cllr Owens and Donal Minnock I think it was was on. I missed most of it but at the very end they were talking about the old Dunne's building. All I heard was negotiations were going on atm about it and Dunnes weren't the problem or something like that

I see the deteriorating state of Rafter St. has made the front page of The Guardian missing tiles(imported from China)filled with tarmac and trip hazards elsewhere has caught the ire of locals,didn't mention the filthy bang off it.

A quick google of Chinese paving slabs gives interesting results,makes you wonder how the project cost so much seeing as the slabs work out at roughly €5 a square metre.

paulaa wrote: »
    Did anyone listen to SE Radio this morning about Enniscorthy. Cllr Owens and Donal Minnock I think it was was on. I missed most of it but at the very end they were talking about the old Dunne's building. All I heard was negotiations were going on atm about it and Dunnes weren't the problem or something like that

David Minogue. I really hope he pulls through on this. I really do. T'would be a big win for him and he only in the job a couple of months. At least he seems to be more proactive than the last chap.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

I listened to what Jackser and Minouge were saying yesterday morning to Alan corcoran.
    Minouge mentioned a major development is in the pipe line for the center of town which could only be the Bomb crater **** filled whole that was Murphy floods. I reckon the owner of the **** Hole and the council have come to an agreement. Alan did ask minouge would there be work for locals on the building of what ever is been built. TBH with minouges roundabout reply we wont hold our breath on that. St Johns hospital and its surrounding clinics and buildings along with the new Gaelscoil is an example of that. Jackser mentioned that the council has spent €1m on enniscorthy to get it to the beautiful stage its at. And he also said that there is up to €100 thousand been spent on the front of shops and properties in Town. Does he not realize that its a waste of money if the shops are empty.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

A quick google of Chinese paving slabs gives interesting results,makes you wonder how the project cost so much seeing as the slabs work out at roughly €5 a square metre.

Roadstone is less than 2 miles from town. Casey of clough is less than 20 miles from town. O'rourkes in castlebridge less than 20 miles away. And kilkennylimestone is in the next county. But we end up with fecking slabs from china. ha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭paulaa

Ian7 wrote: »
    David Minogue. I really hope he pulls through on this. I really do. T'would be a big win for him and he only in the job a couple of months. At least he seems to be more proactive than the last chap.

Thanks Ian I had a yapping dog and couldn't hear what was said. Who are they talking to did they say ?

Advertisement